Friedman: Teams are starting to ask around on Sean Walker

Redpath

Sep 30, 2011
- Friedman heard Walker's name for the first time on Saturday, in a sense of "What do you think Philly is going to do there?"

- He has surprised Philly a bit with how well he has played. Now the question is do you keep him or move him?

- He's a UFA. Teams are starting to watch him a bit and say "Okay, if we are looking to add something, we better take a look at what we are getting here." But also wonder if he is someone Philly wants to keep

- There was a little bit of "Have you heard what Philly is doing with this guy?" as Friedman was making calls

Last edited:
Reactions: FlyguyOX

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
Teams calling on.. Sean Walker?

micheal-jordan-laughing.gif

Reactions: M2Beezy and Laus723

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
With Staal and Ristolainen about to come back and if you wanna play some kids got to move him and Seeler who both have value.
Swallow the downgrading.

getting nothing back for these 2 would be worst-case scenario.

keep that provorov trade tree growing!

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Teams calling on.. Sean Walker?

micheal-jordan-laughing.gif

Night and day from what he was towards the end of his Kings tenure. Playing a great simple defensive game, getting the puck up ice quickly. Dude is eating 21 minutes a night and somehow has 2 shorthanded goals this season.

Columbus would have been better off skipping on Provorov and just taking this guy.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
Walker has been their 2nd best Dman averaging 21min a game. If he keeps it up, the return could be decent, possibly packaged with Seeler.

Reactions: banks

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Hmmm i have to admit I didn't know what team he was on when I read this title.

I was thinking LA but obviously it's not

banks

W W W 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
Aug 29, 2019
Not sure why, but with a name like Sean Walker I always assume he's a 6'4" bruiser.

I think lots of teams would be interested. But he's not the type of defender that get's overvalued at the TDL every year. If they make a trade, they'd be fine to pull the trigger now while the iron is hot. Waiting won't up the price.

tony135420

Jul 30, 2007
With the way Philly is playing this year, why on earth would they trade him? Depth on the back end, esspecially someone that can hit, play responsibly in his own zone and fits 2nd and 3rd pairing are important for long playoff runs.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
With the way Philly is playing this year, why on earth would they trade him? Depth on the back end, esspecially someone that can hit, play responsibly in his own zone and fits 2nd and 3rd pairing are important for long playoff runs.

Because despite their surprising start this year they should absolutely still be franchise building instead of trying to be a middling team. Nobody thinks this Flyers team is prepping for “a long playoff run”.

This is the ideal time to deal guys like Walker to extract max value.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
He's been fantastic when I watch and the metrics match the eye test. He's been awesome. Puck-moving, zone exits, zone entries, offensive zone cycles, PK, he's doing it all. Will be a great TDL addition for a team and I think he gets back a 2nd at least.

quackquackquack

Oct 10, 2012
I was shocked at how decent he looked in the 2 games the Flyers played against the Ducks. Its not just his usual speed. He's actually productive unlike his time in LA where you could have cut off his arms and you wouldn't notice a difference.

Reactions: BernieParent

ponder719

Haute Couturier
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Walker has been a very pleasant surprise for us, and if the plan was to keep him and move, say, Staal and Ristolainen, I'd be down for having him around longer. However, since I don't see us moving Risto, and I don't see anyone wanting Staal, I'm good with trying to peddle Walker for a 2. There are a number of teams where he'd slot into their third pair very nicely, and even be able to play up on the second pair in a pinch, if this isn't just a heater. Heck, we could always try to entice him back here in the offseason.

rajuabju

The One & Only
Dec 30, 2006
Los Angeles
Walker was underappreciated in LA. He's a solid #4-#5 guy, and I thought he was generally pretty solid in his own end. Didnt show much offensive instinct but so what, dont need that from every D. Most LAK fans who wanted him gone (myself included) didnt want to trade him because he sucked, but because we had a logjam and he was taking the spot of Spence (or Clarke). Glad to see he's thriving in Philly.

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
Night and day from what he was towards the end of his Kings tenure. Playing a great simple defensive game, getting the puck up ice quickly. Dude is eating 21 minutes a night and somehow has 2 shorthanded goals this season.

Columbus would have been better off skipping on Provorov and just taking this guy.
Their record this year couldn’t have really been worse.. so I would agree

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
Their record this year couldn’t have really been worse.. so I would agree
Provorov way better than Walker no doubt but not to the expense of a first (Bonk) and a future 2nd in a wasted season. Hopefully one of prospects dman Grans and goalie Bjarnason makes it as well.

leafsfan2point0

Jun 8, 2011
If he has an above average season based on his career averages - what contract would he be potentially looking at this offseason?

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
Provorov way better than Walker no doubt but not to the expense of a first (Bonk) and a future 2nd in a wasted season. Hopefully one of prospects dman Grans and goalie Bjarnason makes it as well.
Trade just never made sense to me given the depth and prospects they have. Seems like a lot to do about nothing and now they have surplus Dmen that they seemingly can’t trade and a good prospect they keep bouncing around in Jirick and for what reason?

Apr 9, 2009
USA
Trade just never made sense to me given the depth and prospects they have. Seems like a lot to do about nothing and now they have surplus Dmen that they seemingly can’t trade and a good prospect they keep bouncing around in Jirick and for what reason?

Isn't Provorov a LD? Jiricek can also pass through waivers.

Anyways, Provorov has been good in Columbus regardless (mostly from what I've heard, but he has looked good when I've watched). Team hasn't been great, but he is pacing for 52 points (just providing a reference for his production - I don't necessarily expect him to score 52).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad