Dreger: Teams are 100% preparing to offer-sheet Mitch Marner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
With the report of Matthews closing in on a contract, the focus switches to Marner. Like every other RFA, it's possible, but not very likely.

Reactions: axlrose87

Jee

uwu
Aug 25, 2006
Montréal
Why are Leafs fans laughing? It's likely true that teams will try to offer sheet Marner... He's the Leafs best player, still very young and could help pretty much every team in the NHL (except maybe Tampa). Definitely the kind of player worth losing multiple draft picks for.

Question is: will he sign one?

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
It's almost like Dreger has realized this contract stuff is driving traffic through the roof and is coming out with new sky is falling contract scenarios on the daily just to get Leaf fans running around screaming. Count me out. The insiders can talk about offer sheets until they are blue in the damn face until I see a player actually sign one I just do not give a damn.

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
Such an easy claim to make.

Clearly the Leafs want to sign him (and likely will) before he can even see an offersheet, so its hard to be wrong in this scenario.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Never fails.

Matthews extension is close?

Fire up the hype train, "TEAMS ARE OFFERSHEETING MARNER!"

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Why are Leafs fans laughing? It's likely true that teams will try to offer sheet Marner... He's the Leafs best player, still very young and could help pretty much every team in the NHL (except maybe Tampa). Definitely the kind of player worth losing multiple draft picks for.

Question is: will he sign one?
Lol...because it's always us. Is anyone talking about Laine? Aho?

We laugh because it's funny.

Reactions: The3rd

toronto money leafs
Sep 29, 2017
Paris
Reminds me of that dumb f*** kypreos saying they should trade him a while ago

Reactions: Cotton

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Yikes!!

Another negative effect of the Nylander signing !

Sure Toronto will match but its going to be a lot more than they would have paid him.

Reactions: Confucius

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
I don’t get why leaf fans get offended that other teams are not being talked about, yet if you listen to sports radio in Ontario there’s only one team with amazing players worth talking about

Reactions: Confucius

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Such an easy claim to make.

Clearly the Leafs want to sign him (and likely will) before he can even see an offersheet, so its hard to be wrong in this scenario.

What makes you think this though?

Hasn't it come out that Marner only wants to sign AFTER Matthews?

If you were trying to get top dollar, and you were Marner, what pressure would there be in limiting your market by signing before July 1st? The only leverage the Leafs would have is if they were bold enough to say "sign before July 1st or else we're trading you away", which they aren't going to do.

Reactions: ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Yikes!!

Another negative effect of the Nylander signing !

Sure Toronto will match but its going to be a lot more than they would have paid him.
It would have to be on hell of an offer sheet for the Leafs or any other player offered for their team not to match.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
I'm normally one to point out that players have to want to sign an offer sheet and that in most instances the grass is never greener than what they have right now and by and large that is true for Marner in Toronto

That said, is he going to be happy being arguably the teams best player while getting the 3rd highest salary behind Mathews and Tavares??

I do believe it's far fetched to think that he signs an offer sheet, but if a team offered him 12 over 7 while the leafs were at 9.5 over 8, I can see the rationale behind signing the OS.

I think the Tavares deal is going to end up biting Toronto in the ass

IMHO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad