Teammates who didn't get along

seekritdude

May 3, 2009
www.facebook.com
Larionov asked to be traded because of Sharks poor handling of Makarov. They refused to let him play and Larionov wanted no part of the team. They also traded Ozolinsh for Nolan who, if I remember correctly, was being a total jackass in Sharks. He and Sheppard appently thought of themselves as superstars and wanted to be treated that way. The whole team was chaos and they benched Irbe for Schwab. I would've asked for a trade too.

PS. They also got rid of Larionovs third linesmate, Johan Garpenlöv. I'm pretty sure that didn't help matters.

Right I was just thinking more even before that.. I just remember larionovs leadship grew and they ended up getting rid of errey and then they made odgers the captin and larionov the assistant. But then apparently constinatine didn't like how larionov was teaching the younger guys, so larionov refused to be the assistant captian and ripped off his A or something.

I believe you can still read all about it at that one shark plaid work old internet messaging site about how all the stuff went down.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Luc Robitaille criticized Gretzky after he left the Kings, making thinly veiled remarks that Gretz was the shadow GM and stocking the team with his Edmonton buddies.

jkrx

Feb 4, 2010
Messier and the entire canucks team (mainly Odjick). This was because Messier controlled the team and together with Keenan destroyed it.

Funny note: After trading Odjick to the Isles right before facing them, Odjick beat up the player (Strudwick) who he was traded for.

jkrx

Feb 4, 2010
Anyone got a good source for the Messier/Canucks saga? I'm really interested to know what happened there.

There is alot of different stories as to what really happened but they all have common ground.

Messier tried to run the team or ran the team as a shadow GM.

Messier took the "C" from one of the most beloved Canucks captains, Trevor Linden.

He demanded a jersey number that was set aside. Wayne Maki wore #11 and it was taken out as a playable number on the team after he died of cancer.

He was either partly or fully responsible for the trade of Linden.

He was apparently one of the reasons that Bure wanted out.

Add Mike Keenan to that equation and you've got yourself a world of chaos.

Oh... and most canucks fans remember this.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
There is alot of different stories as to what really happened but they all have common ground.

Messier tried to run the team or ran the team as a shadow GM.

Messier took the "C" from one of the most beloved Canucks captains, Trevor Linden.

He demanded a jersey number that was set aside. Wayne Maki wore #11 and it was taken out as a playable number on the team after he died of cancer.

He was either partly or fully responsible for the trade of Linden.

He was apparently one of the reasons that Bure wanted out.

Add Mike Keenan to that equation and you've got yourself a world of chaos.

Oh... and most canucks fans remember this.

most of what you say is right, though a lot of it can't be proven. a finer point: messier accepted the C from linden, who voluntarily gave it up. a hostile work environment was created, in part by messier, in large part by keenan, to force this, though.

bigger point: i am almost completely certain bure's departure had nothing to do with messier, other than messier and keenan's reign eliminating bure's last incentive to stay: a competitive team.

some good stories about that dark era of canucks history in this thread: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=789382

jkrx

Feb 4, 2010
Didn't Bure end up playing with Messier in New York? Or had they worked out any issues since Vancouver?

I said that he apparently was one of the reasons. What that reason might be (probably as vadim pointed out that nucks wasnt a contender anymore) we'll never know. Just because player had problems in the past, it doesn't mean they won't play together again or help eachother professionaly. Bertuzzi and Crawford is evidence of that as with Coffey and Bowman or Claude Lemieux and Colorado (former arch enemy Montreal).

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Although not teammate related but team player/management related.

Dale Hawerchuk had some beef with the new management regime, when John Ferguson was fired and they hired Mike Smith as the new GM. The atmosphere changed immediately and Hawerchuk has spoken out loud that he and Smith never got along. Wasn't that ironic that the 89-90 season was Hawerchuk's lowest point total up to that point and he was soon shipped to Buffalo for Housley and a pick.

Then in an ironic twist of fate, Housley was in need of a new contract after the 92/93 season and him and Smith battled words back and forth. Apparently, they got into an argument at the Jets year end banquet and the choice was obvious that Housley wasn't coming back.

Then the Selanne debacle in the middle of the 95-96 season..

Things weren't the same since when John Ferguson was fired :facepalm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad