Teammates who didn't get along

StellaArtois881199

Bring Back #94
Sep 17, 2005
Edmonton, AB
I believe it, I mean the source came from the Cops that had to break up Sundin and Corson after Sundin confronted him about it on Molgilny's behalf.
Worst part about it was that it came out and all this happened during their playoff run.
Remember Mogilny flying back to Toronto because of his "hip"...yeah.

Recchi wasn't a big fan of all the yapping/whining, all the time.

I thought that was Leclair.

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
I don't believe it was ever expressed outwardly, but I seem to recollect from somewhere that Alexei Kovalev and Jaromir Jagr's relationship in Pittsburgh was icy at best.

What did he do to J.S.?

Barrasso seemed like one of the biggest jerks in the league. After the Sens were knocked out by Toronto in 2000, ol Brass Ass failed to show up for the final team meeting.
There are conflicting reports on specifics, but when Aubin was an up and coming goaltender and found himself as Barrasso's backup, Barrasso would berate the younger netminder mercilessly after sub-par performances, or at least what Barrasso perceived as sub-par performances. Things got worse the next season when Aubin became the Penguins starter, and Barrasso would alternate between outright belittlement, or at times going long stretches where he'd simply ignore Aubin's presence altogether. Basically, he bullied him.

The word is it once resulted in Barrasso throwing a chair at Aubin. He was traded to Ottawa before too long.

I don't know why he acted that way. He had a reputation sure, but he mostly just despised the media and saved his jerkness for them, former teammates always seemed to get along with him just fine. His daughter was sick with cancer sometime in the late 90s, I don't know if the timelines match up but that could have had something to do with it, combined with his place as an indispensable piece of the Penguins make up slipping fast.

I don't think anyone really knows how bad it got, whether it was persistent bullying or just the occasional flare-up. Neither Barrasso, Aubin or anyone from those teams has ever said anything about it as far as I know. I do feel bad for Aubin though, he was a promising young 'tender at the time, I wonder if there were lingering negative effects from his days with Barrasso that assisted in his fizzing out a few short years later.

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
In the Dick Irvin Coaches, ex-Washington coach Gary Green describes Mike Palmateer as being hated by the rest of the team for an apparent lack of effort and bad attitude.

A few years ago HNIC had a Hotstove or some similar segment that featured Brett Hull as part of it. When one of the reporters (I think Strachan) made a passing comment about Dominik Hasek not being much of a team player in Detroit, Hull simply nodded and smiled.

seekritdude

May 3, 2009
www.facebook.com
Larionov and kevin constintine or whatever didn't get along. There was also rumors of Larionov and Errery not getting along back in the day. After larionovs leadership role with the sharks grew errery got traded which would seem strange since he was the captin of the team. Then next year larionov gets traded to the wings, then errey gets traded again.

Although I recall there being no offical(ha)word on the latter I guess.... I guess to say as well although KC and larionov didn't get along he did say in interviews he thought larionov and irbe were the best players hes ever coached so.... Maybe they made up?

mobilus

Five and a game
Jan 6, 2009
high slot
I recall hearing Barrasso's nickname was Barr-assh*le, and that if the other goalie was pulled from a game, he would berate them at the bench that they should be good enough to finish what they started. But I wasn't there, so it's all hearsay.

jkrx

Feb 4, 2010
Larionov and kevin constintine or whatever didn't get along. There was also rumors of Larionov and Errery not getting along back in the day. After larionovs leadership role with the sharks grew errery got traded which would seem strange since he was the captin of the team. Then next year larionov gets traded to the wings, then errey gets traded again.

Although I recall there being no offical(ha)word on the latter I guess.... I guess to say as well although KC and larionov didn't get along he did say in interviews he thought larionov and irbe were the best players hes ever coached so.... Maybe they made up?

Larionov asked to be traded because of Sharks poor handling of Makarov. They refused to let him play and Larionov wanted no part of the team. They also traded Ozolinsh for Nolan who, if I remember correctly, was being a total jackass in Sharks. He and Sheppard appently thought of themselves as superstars and wanted to be treated that way. The whole team was chaos and they benched Irbe for Schwab. I would've asked for a trade too.

PS. They also got rid of Larionovs third linesmate, Johan Garpenlöv. I'm pretty sure that didn't help matters.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Roy and Tremblay, but that boiled over when Mario was color commentator then coach.

Keith Jones led the locker room revolt that got Eric Lacroix traded out of Colorado

Alex Kasatonov was accusedof spying on Russian teammates. Slava Fetisov wasn't happy when the Devils signed him.

I heard Cris Gratton laid into a Bolts rookie so bad the kid cried.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
No clue, but during one of the practice sessions Fedoruk punched Joni out of nowhere during a stoppage in one of their drills.

Oddly enough he's one of the better liked players in the Carolina dressing room all of 3 years later.

really? In his one year in Edmonton he was the outcast.

Good for him I suppose.

earlier in the year there was a discussion about Pitkanen

I will try to pick my words correctly--If I offend canes fans--I am sorry

With Pitkanen it appears to be that he does better where hockey is not the most important thing or one of the top things in town--Edmonton is hockey mad and every philly fan will jump in and say that philly is a bigger hockey town. Canes are still making in roads in the city and state and the pressure is not as high from outside sources in carolina as it is in philly and edmonton

NJDEVILS17*

You have to understand that just because two teammates fight in the practice, doesn't mean they hate each other.

Most of the time, it's just pure frustration with how the team is performing at the moment.

Loto68

Aug 12, 2006
Boston
While with the Rangers Aaron Ward and Jagr HATED each other. They even got into a screaming match on the bench.

Aaron Ward was just jealous he never had hair like Jags

jagz.jpg

Loto68

Aug 12, 2006
Boston
Doesn't everybody hate Avery (that's sort of a joke but not totally)?

Avery is actually relatively well like in the Rangers locker room. He runs in a pretty tight clique that includes Henrik Lundqvist and Marian Gaborik. Voros was part of it, but he was traded on Friday.

Loto68

Aug 12, 2006
Boston
I'm pretty sure that was just a joke. I was under the impression that Barnaby and Jagr used to take regular trips to Atlantic City to drink and gamble in between Penguins home games. I've never heard or seen anything that would suggest they were enemies, quite the opposite actually.

I believe that they used to be drinking buddies, but I have a hard time believing they went to AC between home games. Pittsburgh is in Western PA while AC is in South Eastern NJ.

Reactions: Nogatco Rd

Analyzer*

Koivu and Ribeiro.

Mark Fitzpatrick and anyone he played with from what I've read. Imagine him and Barrasso together ? Man, that would drive your team apart.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
earlier in the year there was a discussion about Pitkanen

I will try to pick my words correctly--If I offend canes fans--I am sorry

With Pitkanen it appears to be that he does better where hockey is not the most important thing or one of the top things in town--Edmonton is hockey mad and every philly fan will jump in and say that philly is a bigger hockey town. Canes are still making in roads in the city and state and the pressure is not as high from outside sources in carolina as it is in philly and edmonton

Trust me no offense taken, it's something we talk about a good bit on our board. Pitkanen doing well here and really enjoying things, then Corvo taking a discount to come back. Two guys that have had a history of being on the shy side and reportedly did not respond well to the media criticism on their old teams. It all comes back to pressure put on them from within the market. Some guys thrive under it, some guys struggle with it. While Raleigh is starting to become a fairly hockey-mad city it's still not on par with either Philly or Ottawa, and definitely not on par with Edmonton.

It's prettymuch the dirty little secret of this market, the media here for the most part is welcoming to a fault. I guarantee that in almost any other market in the league Aaron Ward would have been run out of town by the media for his play here last season, among other things.

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
Pretty funny and interesting thread, especially about Orr & Espo. Never heard that.

Clark and Barber. Just know that when Clark was GM and Barber was coach of the Phantoms, Clark would pick anyone other than him to promote/hire because of dislikes reported. Don't know if that was the case during the time they were teammates & linemates.

Carter and Hartnell. Rumor around Philly is that Carts was/is sleeping with Hartnells wife.

Jason Blake and everyone else on the Islanders team 2002-2006, especially Hamrlik who took a punch at Blake during warm ups when Blake shot at the net when a helmetless Hamrlik was standing in front. Blake had a personality that grated on everyone.

Peca and Tucker when they were teammates in Toronto following the devasting and dirsty low hit that Tucker laid on Peca during the 2001-2002 Islanders/TO playoff series.

Peca and Alexei Yashin. Peca and Blake reportedly split the lockerroom with the NA players having a clique, and another clique of Euros around the quiet spoken Yashin.
At one point there was helmet throwing which coach Laviolette did not remedy, eventually leading to Peca's being moved, and Lavvy losing his job for allowing the rift and losing the team over it.

Rhiessan71

Just a Fool
Feb 17, 2003
Guelph, Ont
Visit site
Alex Kasatonov was accusedof spying on Russian teammates. Slava Fetisov wasn't happy when the Devils signed him.

More than just spying. It was well known that Kasatonov was the coach's lap dog and rat.
If I remember right, he went so far as to leave a bottle of vodka in Krutov's room knowing he would drink it all, just so he could rat him out and get him punished the next day.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad