Teammates who didn't get along

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Any players you can think of that didn't get along when they played together? I'm sure there are lots of examples. I can't think of any of the top of my head, but I also wanted to include player/coaching feuds. I know that Selanne and Granato didn't get on to well in Colorado, same with Penner and Mac T in Edmonton.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Derek Sanderson and Terry O'Reilly twice fought in Oakland late in 1973-74 season. It led to Sanderson being suspended because he missed a team flight. Sanderson also didn't get along with Bep Guidolin, the head coach.

Also, Barry Ashbee of the Flyers despised a teammate named Rick Foley because of conditioning and other issues. He almost retired because of his feelings.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
How is that possible, the guy barely spoke a word of english back in his flyers days, still doesn't really?

No clue, but during one of the practice sessions Fedoruk punched Joni out of nowhere during a stoppage in one of their drills.

Oddly enough he's one of the better liked players in the Carolina dressing room all of 3 years later.

Pheno Zarky

Dec 9, 2007
No clue, but during one of the practice sessions Fedoruk punched Joni out of nowhere during a stoppage in one of their drills.

Oddly enough he's one of the better liked players in the Carolina dressing room all of 3 years later.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton

really? In his one year in Edmonton he was the outcast.

Good for him I suppose.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
Who really knows?

There were rumblings once upon a time that Gary Roberts and Theo Fleury couldn't stand each other , not sure if true.

Malkin and Ovechkin had that feud but except for team Russia they weren't on the same team.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Bobby Orr/Phil Esposito in Boston

Never heard that. And I've read Phil Esposito's book "Thunder and Lightning". The worst thing he says about Orr in it is that they disagreed with Alan Eagleson prior to everyone finding out he was a fink. So I guess they clashed on that, but that's it. Other than that, he says they went to bars together and such. Bobby was younger and likely more carefree as well (although Phil was the champion philanderer). Phil is brutally honest in his book about everything. You would think he'd be honest if him and Orr hated each other so I doubt it.

When Esposito was traded it was Don Cherry and a depressed Orr that broke him the news in the middle of the night. Doesn't sound like a teammate who hates the other to me.

I'm also not sure if fighting in team practice would constitute anything. Emotions get high, players are like family, they fight, sometimes the media makes a big deal out of it. In the end the players might have even more respect for each other. In the media you don't hear how the players probably went for a beer after practice.

But here's a few that were out in the open:

Barnaby/Jagr - Jagr once told the media he had seen Barnaby in the shower and felt sorry for his wife
Avery/Dallas Stars - When Turco and Modano who are well respected come out to bash you, I think you are doing something wrong

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
Never heard that. And I've read Phil Esposito's book "Thunder and Lightning". The worst thing he says about Orr in it is that they disagreed with Alan Eagleson prior to everyone finding out he was a fink. So I guess they clashed on that, but that's it. Other than that, he says they went to bars together and such. Bobby was younger and likely more carefree as well (although Phil was the champion philanderer). Phil is brutally honest in his book about everything. You would think he'd be honest if him and Orr hated each other so I doubt it.

When Esposito was traded it was Don Cherry and a depressed Orr that broke him the news in the middle of the night. Doesn't sound like a teammate who hates the other to me.

I'm also not sure if fighting in team practice would constitute anything. Emotions get high, players are like family, they fight, sometimes the media makes a big deal out of it. In the end the players might have even more respect for each other. In the media you don't hear how the players probably went for a beer after practice.

But here's a few that were out in the open:

Barnaby/Jagr - Jagr once told the media he had seen Barnaby in the shower and felt sorry for his wife
Avery/Dallas Stars - When Turco and Modano who are well respected come out to bash you, I think you are doing something wrong

I thought that one was in good fun. Did Jagr and Barnaby actually have a not-so-rosy relationship?

puckhead103*

Any players you can think of that didn't get along when they played together? I'm sure there are lots of examples. I can't think of any of the top of my head, but I also wanted to include player/coaching feuds. I know that Selanne and Granato didn't get on to well in Colorado, same with Penner and Mac T in Edmonton.
Terry Sawchuk/Ron Stewart....

poise

Apr 5, 2008
There was rumored to be a lot of jealousy and resentment towards Brian Lawton in Minnesota from teammates in general, which partly affected the way his career would develop disappointingly relative to expectations.

Canadarocks

Sep 16, 2005

I've skimmed Phil's book and noticed that he portrays Bobby as a total manwhore. How did Bobby feel about that? I'm not saying that Phil wasn't telling the truth but would a notoriously private sixty year old really want details of his youthful sexual exploits in a book for all to read?

Jaromir Jagr's comment is hilarious!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad