Team USA

• Thread starter Randall Graves*
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

joe_shannon_1983*

Rabid Ranger said:
Again, are these the only threads you post in? Why do you feel the need to constantly piss on USA Hockey? As for the lists mentioned, I don't think anyone is expecting the U.S. to have the most talented team in the tourney, but if you've been paying attention to the play of virtually all of these players this year (and I don't believe you have) then you'd notice that to a man they are playing well. Who cares how many "name" players are on the team?

The U.S.A. is going to be under-rated going into the 2006 Olympics, just like they were going into both the 2002 Olympics and 2004 World Cup. Thing is, they were a top 2-4 team in both of those other tournaments.

They are going to have some players on their team who are an absolute annoyance to play against (Conroy, Blake, Rolston, Knuble, etc.). Tight-checking players like these are very tough to play against. It is because of players like these that makes me want Canada to pick guys like Smyth and Doan, so that Canada has the grit to fight through tight-checking teams.

The U.S.A. won't be as good as Canada on paper. And the Czech Republic are also superior. But I think that the U.S.A., if they play as a team, would give any other team in the tournament a good fight.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
ferns8916 said:
The U.S.A. is going to be under-rated going into the 2006 Olympics, just like they were going into both the 2002 Olympics and 2004 World Cup. Thing is, they were a top 2-4 team in both of those other tournaments.

They are going to have some players on their team who are an absolute annoyance to play against (Conroy, Blake, Conroy, Rolston, Knuble, etc.). Tight-checking players like these are very tough to play against. It is because of players like these that makes me want Canada to pick guys like Smyth and Doan, so that Canada has the grit to fight through tight-checking teams.

The U.S.A. won't be as good as Canada on paper. And the Czech Republic are also superior. But I think that the U.S.A., if they play as a team, would give any other team in the tournament a good fight.

My points exactly.

espo*

Rabid Ranger said:
I can see that, although I'm starting to think Hedican is a lock for the team. He's been very good this year, is a great skater, and plays for Laviolette in Carolina.
You may be right.I betcha they like Ballards edge in his game though.They'll duke it out for that spot.

espo*

it was on HNIC tonight that indeed Roenick won't get named They have a list of only 30 guys whittled down now and will make their team announcement DEC 19th.

joe_shannon_1983*

cyclops said:
it was on HNIC tonight that indeed Roenick won't get named They have a list of only 30 guys whittled down now and will make their team announcement DEC 19th.

I heard that.

I guess we can expect Roenick to cheer for Canada then eh? He said that if he wasn't picked for the U.S.A. Olympic Team that he would go on NBC during the Olympics and cheer for Canada.

espo*

ferns8916 said:
I heard that.

I guess we can expect Roenick to cheer for Canada then eh? He said that if he wasn't picked for the U.S.A. Olympic Team that he would go on NBC during the Olympics and cheer for Canada.
i heard that,lol.

Something tells me he's not really serious there about that.It would be pretty funny.

Randall Graves*

cyclops said:
Looks like team canada has 1 more fan!

realistically...what is this teams chances of getting a medal? I think Canada, Czech Republic, Russia, and Sweden have more talent, I'm probably missing a team...hope these guys work on their teamwork.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Best to wait until the final roster is announced to determine exactly how well they will do. But my early guess is that they will place out of the semi-finals. I just think that the other teams have more talent. I would probably rank them between Finland and Slovakia.

Of course anything can happen when the puck is dropped. ;)

jcpenny

Aug 8, 2002
Montréal
Visit site
ferns8916 said:

They are going to have some players on their team who are an absolute annoyance to play against (Conroy, Blake, Rolston, Knuble, etc.). Tight-checking players like these are very tough to play against. It is because of players like these that makes me want Canada to pick guys like Smyth and Doan, so that Canada has the grit to fight through tight-checking teams.

U.S. wasnt Underrated for the 2002 Olympic at all. Everybody knew they could win it all with the home crowd behind them.

espo*

RallyKiller said:
Looks like team canada has 1 more fan!

realistically...what is this teams chances of getting a medal? I think Canada, Czech Republic, Russia, and Sweden have more talent, I'm probably missing a team...hope these guys work on their teamwork.
I think they could win a medal,some people are underestimating them,they'll have a solid team.Good talent on the forward lines,defense can move and not nearly as weak comparative to other teams as some people make it out to be,goaltending could be stellar.Bronze is definately a possibility and with a bit of luck silver is not out of the question.Gold seems a stretch,not that they can't beat any team on any given day but to win three medal round games in a row against the quality of opponents at this competition will be difficult for this team.To do that they'd pretty much have to get out of this world goaltending right through the medal round games and it's a lot to ask for.I can see this team getting a bronze realistically,don't know if they will but i can see them getting it.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Sotnos said:
I'm wondering the same thing, because it's very noticeable and very obnoxious.

On a positive (and Lightning related) note, John Grahame has set a new team record with his ninth straight win and seems to be in a good position to be one of the three U.S. goaltenders.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
For roughly four years, every time Jeff Halpern has been available for international play he has made Team USA, and he has played for them each time. Provided he is healthy, I can't see him missing the team this year either. He plays all three forward positions in a two-way role.

wildone26*

The U.S goaltending situation is pretty much :help: . DiPietro is a decent #1 goalie in the NHL, and that will be enough to easily make him the starter probably. As for the forwards I doubt if any more than 1 out of 4 of Tchachuk, Weight, Amonte, or LeClair will make the team. They will probably go with alot more younger players this time.

KH1

wildone26 said:
The U.S goaltending situation is pretty much :help: . DiPietro is a decent #1 goalie in the NHL, and that will be enough to easily make him the starter probably.

Color me biased but if DiPietro wasn't playing behind the Isles defense (unquestionaly one of the worst in hockey) he would be one of the top 5 goalies in hockey this season. You can point to him directly for about half of the Islanders wins.

I feel very comfortable with Team USA's goaltending. Esche and Graham are both good backups. I would be more worried about generating offense considering that the team is built on streaky players like Modano, Tkachuk, Parrish and the like.

Randall Graves*

cyclops said:
I think they could win a medal,some people are underestimating them,they'll have a solid team.Good talent on the forward lines,defense can move and not nearly as weak comparative to other teams as some people make it out to be,goaltending could be stellar.Bronze is definately a possibility and with a bit of luck silver is not out of the question.Gold seems a stretch,not that they can't beat any team on any given day but to win three medal round games in a row against the quality of opponents at this competition will be difficult for this team.To do that they'd pretty much have to get out of this world goaltending right through the medal round games and it's a lot to ask for.I can see this team getting a bronze realistically,don't know if they will but i can see them getting it.
The miracle on ice...circa 2006!

BELIEVE IT!

Randall Graves*

Rabid Ranger said:
On a positive (and Lightning related) note, John Grahame has set a new team record with his ninth straight win and seems to be in a good position to be one of the three U.S. goaltenders.
I think he has a great case to be #1 right now.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
RallyKiller said:
I think he has a great case to be #1 right now.

Perhaps, although I think DiPietro will get the nod. He's been very good this year and has been exceptional on the international level.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
King Henry I said:
Color me biased but if DiPietro wasn't playing behind the Isles defense (unquestionaly one of the worst in hockey) he would be one of the top 5 goalies in hockey this season. You can point to him directly for about half of the Islanders wins.

I feel very comfortable with Team USA's goaltending. Esche and Graham are both good backups. I would be more worried about generating offense considering that the team is built on streaky players like Modano, Tkachuk, Parrish and the like.

I agree about the goaltending. I think we'll be fine. If there's one tendancy about U.S. international teams, it's that we usually get good to great goaltending. I also share your concerns about scoring, although out of the players you named, the only one I'd categorize as "streaky" is Parrish. Modano is his old self this year and Tkachuk is playing like a man possessed right now.

MisterUnspoken

Vintage
Nov 10, 2002
New York
Goalie Ryan Miller (if he comes back strong) could make the team. His play in the early season was stellar.

And Tom Poti has Olympic experience so while it may apall some, I would not be shocked to see him picked for the team.

espo*

RallyKiller said:
The miracle on ice...circa 2006!

BELIEVE IT!
Well i don't want to believe it because they're not my team,lol.However,if they won it would hardly be a miracle,these are all world class nhl players,no reason they can't win if things go real well.Having said that i think bronze is more probable,this team will be in tough with the caliber of competition they'll meet.Like i said,they can beat any team on any given day but putting THREE wins in a row against this competition will be tough for any team and tougher still for this squad.On paper,they are not(admittedly only means so much) one of the real favourites........they'll have to overachieve a bit to take home the top spot. it's doable but they sure have their work cut out for them.

joe_shannon_1983*

I have seen a lot of people put Parrish on their teams.

Is he really that strong of a candidate? He only has 17 points in 25 games. Plus, he has never gotten much consideration in the past.

I think you will see Tkachuk, Guerin, Gionta, Cole, Blake, Knuble, York, Drury, and Langenbrunner all taken as wingers before you will see Parrish.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
ferns8916 said:
I have seen a lot of people put Parrish on their teams.

Is he really that strong of a candidate? He only has 17 points in 25 games. Plus, he has never gotten much consideration in the past.

I think you will see Tkachuk, Guerin, Gionta, Cole, Blake, Knuble, York, Drury, and Langenbrunner all taken as wingers before you will see Parrish.

I think Tkachuk, Guerin, Gionta, Cole, Blake, Knuble, and Rolston are all locks at forward. The last winger spot will be decided amongst York, Drury, Parrish, Langenbrunner, Amonte and Halpern. IMO, Parrish has a good shot because he can finish, is hard-nosed, and can play on both special teams.

Last edited:

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
ferns8916 said:

USA was definetly not underrated in '02. In fact although Canada outplayed USA in the gold Medal game, it was actually a 3-2 game until about 4 minutes left in the game. In '91, '96, '98 and '02 the USA had team that no one raised an eyebrow at if they had won. I wouldnt say that they were great in '04 though that's when they werent favourites by anybody to win even though they lost in the semis and came close. And '04 was very much a watered down tournament compared to '02 when every country had their best. So now with every country most likely having their best again and the '06 US not any better than the '04 US team it looks bleak for you guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad