Team USA

• Thread starter Randall Graves*
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

Randall Graves*

We've had about 10 million team Canada threads, so let's talk team USA.

Who is going to make the team? I have a general idea of about a dozen players but some of them are up there in age, what young players can we expect?

Draft Guru

Feb 27, 2002
Long Island
I think Jed Ortmeyer is somebody who will be a given a look. Waddell admitted he's a candidate. He's not the most skilled player, but this guy is a shotblocking machine and one of the best PKers in the NHL.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
Cole-Gionta-Gomez
Weight-Drury-Connoly
Conry-Modano-Blake
Knuble-Rolston-Amonte
Roenick

Leopold-Liles
Rafalski-Schneider
Miller-Leetch
Martin

Dipietro
Esche
Miller

Thats my best guess, probably pretty far off though.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Draft Guru said:
I think Jed Ortmeyer is somebody who will be a given a look. Waddell admitted he's a candidate. He's not the most skilled player, but this guy is a shotblocking machine and one of the best PKers in the NHL.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if Ortmeyer's on the team. I could see a 4th line of him, Blake and perhaps Halpern. I think people need to get used to the idea that these Olympic teams aren't going to be all-star teams. There are going to be some big names on every team left off. Here's who I would have on the U.S. team at this point:

Forwards (x12):

Tkachuk-Modano-Guerin
Knuble-Weight-Parrish
Cole-Gomez-Gionta
Rolston-Conroy-Blake

Defense (x8):

Leetch-Hedican
Miller-Gleason
Schneider-Liles
Rafalski-Mara

Goaltenders (x3):

DiPietro
Esche
Grahame

espo*

i betcha that's pretty much the team that will be named except you can remove Hedican and add Ballard.And if he's healthy i think they'll take Miller and Drop Grahame.

ILuvLA

Jul 16, 2004
Lost in LA
Rabid Ranger said:
Forwards (x12):

Tkachuk-Modano-Guerin
Knuble-Weight-Parrish
Cole-Gomez-Gionta
Rolston-Conroy-Blake

Defense (x8):

Leetch-Hedican
Miller-Gleason
Schneider-Liles
Rafalski-Mara

Goaltenders (x3):

DiPietro
Esche
Grahame
I like your list. I'd scratch Leetch or Hedican and add Gleason. Possibly switch Grahame for Miller.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
cyclops said:
i betcha that's pretty much the team that will be named except you can remove Hedican and add Ballard.And if he's healthy i think they'll take Miller and Drop Grahame.

I can see that, although I'm starting to think Hedican is a lock for the team. He's been very good this year, is a great skater, and plays for Laviolette in Carolina.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
ILuvLA said:
I like your list. I'd scratch Leetch or Hedican and add Gleason. Possibly switch Grahame for Miller.

I have Gleason, and I think it's a possibility Miller is on the team if healthy.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Forwards (x12):

Tkachuk-Modano-Guerin
Knuble-Weight-Parrish
Cole-Gomez-Gionta
Rolston-Conroy-Blake

Defense (x8):

Leetch-Hedican
Miller-Gleason
Schneider-Liles
Rafalski-Mara

Goaltenders (x3):

DiPietro
Esche
Grahame[/QUOTE]

I'd rather have any of Leopold, Ballard, Whitney, or Martin on the team over Hedican. I can also see Mike York making the team over Knuble or Parrish.

matthew94

Jul 2, 2005
WNY
www.matthew94.blogspot.com
If it were up to me...

Forwards

Blake-Gomez-Gianta
Tkachuk-Modano-York
Connolly-Conroy-Rolsten
Cole-Drury-Knuble

Defense

Schneider-Ballard
Rafalski-Berard
Leetch-Mara

Goaltenders

DiPietro
Grahame
Miller

Buffalo Stylee

Apr 4, 2004
Buffalo/Niagara

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Fake Plastic Sabre said:
Piss on Roenick. I'd rather see him sit in the stands and cry away than play for the U.S. He's a total clown.

The sad thing is that Roenick might be considered for the team. Honestly look at those lists, they arent that impressive.

Skroob*

Draft Guru said:

And its not as if he has any "weak" attributes that would hold him back. Things like skating are not a liability. Hell, hes even made a few impressive stick moves with the puck.

I'd also wouldnt object to Ryan "Hollywood" Hollweg on the team, if for no other reason than to see him go after players like Lemieux. :D

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Cole-Modano-Blake
Tkachuk-Gomez-Gionta
York-Weight-Parrish
Knuble-Conroy-Guerin
ex. Rolston, Drury

Leopold-Leetch
Mara-Rafalski
Chelios-Schneider
ex: Miller, Liles

Dipietro
Miller
ex. Esche

First line are all great skaters, two of them with good size. Cole can drive hard to the net and Modano setting him up. Blake gives the line some nice 2way play, as well as contributing on the offensive side of things. Second line has Gomez passing to two snipers, one of whom he already has chemistry with. The third line is based largely on past chemistry, Weight and Parrish were excellent at the WC's during the lockout, and York has shown some good chemistry with Parrish for NYI. The fourth line is pretty crash and bang, but has plenty of scoring to go with it. It can change momentum in any number of ways. Rolston and Drury's versatility give them the extra slots. All four lines are good offensively and defensively and should be rolled out pretty evenly.

On defense, Leetch and Leopold are both very good 2way players that know what it takes to win and can skate well enough to keep up with just about anyone. On the third pairing, Chelios is still one of the best defensive defenseman in the league, and he and Schneider know each other's games pretty well. On the second, Mara provides good size to Rafalski's dimuitive stature. Rafalski has a wealth of international experience, which will help Mara's lack of it, and both move the puck extremely well. Miller and Liles get the extras, as they bring very different aspects and can fill in depending on need.

Goalies just listed in order of preference at this particular moment. Dipietro's play at the WC's IMO gets him the nod as starter, but all three will likely battle it out.

Skroob*

Rabid Ranger said:
I wouldn't be surprised at all if Ortmeyer's on the team. I could see a 4th line of him, Blake and perhaps Halpern. I think people need to get used to the idea that these Olympic teams aren't going to be all-star teams. There are going to be some big names on every team left off.

I would agree. Its of no good to have a player like Tony Amonte on your 4th line.

You need players who are gonna play tough, gritty, and dirty if needed.

Randall Graves*

Mobey said:
Forwards (x12):

Tkachuk-Modano-Guerin
Knuble-Weight-Parrish
Cole-Gomez-Gionta
Rolston-Conroy-Blake

Defense (x8):

Leetch-Hedican
Miller-Gleason
Schneider-Liles
Rafalski-Mara

Goaltenders (x3):

DiPietro
Esche
Grahame

I'd rather have any of Leopold, Ballard, Whitney, or Martin on the team over Hedican. I can also see Mike York making the team over Knuble or Parrish.[/QUOTE]
What about Keith Carney? I think he's better than Leopold and Whitney right now by a fair margin..

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Big Phil said:
The sad thing is that Roenick might be considered for the team. Honestly look at those lists, they arent that impressive.

Again, are these the only threads you post in? Why do you feel the need to constantly piss on USA Hockey? As for the lists mentioned, I don't think anyone is expecting the U.S. to have the most talented team in the tourney, but if you've been paying attention to the play of virtually all of these players this year (and I don't believe you have) then you'd notice that to a man they are playing well. Who cares how many "name" players are on the team?

Skroob*

Who does everyone see as getting the letters this time around???

Last time Leetch was "C", we won the world cup. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad