Team USA announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riggs

Apr 6, 2004
Pittsburgh
Ok, enough of the Fleury bashing!

The forwards and defense for Canada didn't do much to stop the momentum of the U.S. team. If you don't get shots, you can't score!

Canada should be pissed at the team as a whole, not just Fleury.

PS- It was last year, GET OVER IT!

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Rabid Ranger said:
How many of the U.S. players have you seen or are even half-way familiar with? To suggest that the U.S. has no skill up front is a very bad joke.

It's downright idiotic. I love how every year there are a lot of college boys there and people claim the US has a weak team or doesn't know what it's doing.

You know what? We wont he gold last year doing the same thing and this team is better now and more experianced.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
X-SHARKIE said:
They did a good job going with Schneider there, Kessel deserves to be there, but defensively i'm really confused why two of our best defenseman at this age group in American aren't going there when guys like Lee, Borer, Hagemo are going? You're telling me Brian Lee is better then Jack Johnson and A.J. Thelen?
I also think Josh Hennessy is a better forward then Weller, Porter, Bourque, Brown, Callahan, Dowell, but I'm not going to get upset about it after the Bernier thing :)

At this point, a lot of players are better then Thelen. He's looked awful this year. Something happened, because he's playing bad on a bad team. It's not even like he's stepped it up or anything.

I'd take Holt over Schneider at this point, but its not like either of them would be seeing much time baring injury.

Weller will suprise you. As will Porter. I think Porter is a downright steal.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Rabid Ranger said:
You're right, it is pointless, but fun in a sadistic sort of way. I'm not sure how far I can get with a guy like John, since he's more of a fan of Richards and Carter then the U.S. team. ;)

Can the US win ??? absolutely, while Canada IMO is a prohibitive favorite, the US does have the edge in goal, which can certainly make a huge difference in a one game, winner take all type tournament (see: Jim Craig, circa 1980 :handclap: )

I could care less, which teams wins the tournament as long as Mike Richards, Jeff Carter and Stefan Ruzicka, are the all-tourney forwards. :D

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Mobey said:
Rabid, I agree with you but it's pointless. The USA never sends a good team, Canada is the best, and we have no chance just like last year. I'll take a gold medal again.

You know what they say: First is the worst and second is the best!

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Reveille said:
It's downright idiotic. I love how every year there are a lot of college boys there and people claim the US has a weak team or doesn't know what it's doing.

You know what? We wont he gold last year doing the same thing and this team is better now and more experianced.

Canadians (most) commenting on the NCAA is like me commenting on the CHL. There just isn't a frame of reference. I take people like Pepper's comments with a grain-of-salt. :dunce:

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
John Flyers Fan said:
Can the US win ??? absolutely, while Canada IMO is a prohibitive favorite, the US does have the edge in goal, which can certainly make a huge difference in a one game, winner take all type tournament (see: Jim Craig, circa 1980 :handclap: )

I could care less, which teams wins the tournament as long as Mike Richards, Jeff Carter and Stefan Ruzicka, are the all-tourney forwards. :D

That's what I thought, not that there's anything wrong with that.......... :mad: :D

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Rabid Ranger said:
Canadians (most) commenting on the NCAA is like me commenting on the CHL. There just isn't a frame of reference. I take people like Pepper's comments with a grain-of-salt. :dunce:

I absolutely laughed at his comment. Since I can't see the CHL this year, I've been watching a lot of college hockey.

jcpenny

Aug 8, 2002
Montréal
Visit site
I have that final game on tape and one thing that striked me was how poised the U.S. defense was. Throughout the tournament the Canada scared the opposition's defense while the U.S. weren't bothered by Canada's fowards at all. The first and fourth goal by the U.S were goals that you don't want to see a goalie let in, especially that first one that brought back the U.S in the game. I noticed also numerous chances to take the away were screwed by Canada. U.S won that game and they deserved it even if that last goal still pains me.

When i look at this U.S team for this year, they are kind of the same in offense and in goal but i think that defense will be the problem like people think goaltenting will be for Canada.MOntoya, Suter and O'sullivan must come up big for this team cause to me Russia and Canada are stronger.

espo*

Riggs said:
Ok, enough of the Fleury bashing!

The forwards and defense for Canada didn't do much to stop the momentum of the U.S. team. If you don't get shots, you can't score!

Canada should be pissed at the team as a whole, not just Fleury.

PS- It was last year, GET OVER IT!
There is nothing wrong with noticing the guy played bogus last year,he was our weakest link and we know it.You're right though because it is over ,it's a new year and i'm ready to go but pointing out that fleury played bad last year is all part and parcel of posting.We saw all the games here and he did'nt play well,why can't we acknowledge or talk about that?. If Montoya sucks this year do you think no-one will mention that at some point?.The hf boards personified,no-one can say anything....it's like being the only guy in a feminist literature course in university

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
jcpenny said:
I have that final game on tape and one thing that striked me was how poised the U.S. defense was. Throughout the tournament the Canada scared the opposition's defense while the U.S. weren't bothered by Canada's fowards at all. The first and fourth goal by the U.S were goals that you don't want to see a goalie let in, especially that first one that brought back the U.S in the game. I noticed also numerous chances to take the away were screwed by Canada. U.S won that game and they deserved it even if that last goal still pains me.

When i look at this U.S team for this year, they are kind of the same in offense and in goal but i think that defense will be the problem like people think goaltenting will be for Canada.MOntoya, Suter and O'sullivan must come up big for this team cause to me Russia and Canada are stronger.

The U.S. defense isn't as experienced, but very similar in make-up.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Reveille said:
I absolutely laughed at his comment. Since I can't see the CHL this year, I've been watching a lot of college hockey.

I laughed as well. It kills some people to acknowledge the U.S. produces quality hockey players (even if many of them have Canadian parents! :D )

Riggs

Apr 6, 2004
Pittsburgh
cyclops said:
There is nothing wrong with noticing the guy played bogus last year,he was our weakest link and we know it.You're right though because it is over ,it's a new year and i'm ready to go but pointing out that fleury played bad last year is all part and parcel of posting.We saw all the games here and he did'nt play well,why can't we acknowledge or talk about that?. If Montoya sucks this year do you think no-one will mention that at some point?.The hf boards personified,no-one can say anything....it's like being the only guy in a feminist literature course in university

I agree he played poorly, and the circumstances of the game winning goal were very odd, so I expect some discusion about that goal.

What I don't understand is why noone has held anyone else on that team accountable for the loss of the gold medal.

Hold it against Fleury, but only as part of the TEAM that lost that final game.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
cyclops said:
Who said they don't put out good players? Of course they do.

Pepper did by implying that the U.S. has no skill up front aside from O'Sullivan and Schremp. I'm not surprised, since those are probably the only American players he has seen or know of.

espo*

Riggs said:
I agree he played poorly, and the circumstances of the game winning goal were very odd, so I expect some discusion about that goal.

What I don't understand is why noone has held anyone else on that team accountable for the loss of the gold medal.

Hold it against Fleury, but only as part of the TEAM that lost that final game.
That's fair enough.As long as we can discuss it!!! There should'nt be censorship on that stuff here.And yes...the defense sure did their part in losing that game....they did'nt keep up with the U.S team speed in the third and played way too soft to boot...it was'nt only Fleury.

Riggs

Apr 6, 2004
Pittsburgh
cyclops said:
That's fair enough.As long as we can discuss it!!! There should'nt be censorship on that stuff here.And yes...the defense sure did their part in losing that game....they did'nt keep up with the U.S team speed in the third and played way too soft to boot...it was'nt only Fleury.

Ok, cool.

Heres to another U.S. vs. Canada final!

I'm looking forward to it!!!

espo*

Rabid Ranger said:
Pepper did by implying that the U.S. has no skill up front aside from O'Sullivan and Schremp. I'm not surprised, since those are probably the only American players he has seen or know of.
Well they do have skill no doubt.Schremp and O'Sullivan are the guys we see up here of course...we can see the college games but you have to have the right sattelite package or get to a good sports bar that has it. Stafford is a good player,he did'nt go in the first round for nothing last draft and there are other guys that i've never seen play that have to be good because they are top college players.College hockey is not some beer league....they put out good nhl players. I agree,up front there is probably not a lot to choose from between the U.S and Canada this year.It will be like you mentioned earlier...the talent gap is so minuscule this year that it will come down to what team can force their particular style of game upon the other team when/if the U.S and Canada meets.

espo*

Riggs said:
Ok, cool.

Heres to another U.S. vs. Canada final!

I'm looking forward to it!!!
It should be dandy.We don't meet in round robin this year i don't think so things have to go right during the pre-lim games for it to happen but i suspect Canada and the U.S will meet in the playoff round,i think it's just destined to be so we won't be dissapointed. Well,i 'll be dissapointed if we lose.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
cyclops said:
Well they do have skill no doubt.Schremp and O'Sullivan are the guys we see up here of course...we can see the college games but you have to have the right sattelite package or get to a good sports bar that has it. Stafford is a good player,he did'nt go in the first round for nothing last draft and there are other guys that i've never seen play that have to be good because they are top college players.College hockey is not some beer league....they put out good nhl players. I agree,up front there is probably not a lot to choose from between the U.S and Canada this year.It will be like you mentioned earlier...the talent gap is so minuscule this year that it will come down to what team can force their particular style of game upon the other team when/if the U.S and Canada meets.

Don't get me wrong, I firmly believe Canada has the better overall team and should be the favorite. I just get upset when people dismiss the U.S. team as having no chance, especially those people who are COMPLETELY ignorant about the players on the roster.

espo*

Rabid Ranger said:
Don't get me wrong, I firmly believe Canada has the better overall team and should be the favorite. I just get upset when people dismiss the U.S. team as having no chance, especially those people who are COMPLETELY ignorant about the players on the roster.
I can understand that. They have a good team and the U.S produces good talent no doubt.They are a favourite this year for sure and should be...they are defending champs after all...it can't be discounted.They have a lot of returning core players plus some good new additions,when all is said and done they should be in the thick of it at the end.It's true a lot of Canadian fans don't have a good read on college hockey,it's dismissed too easily because they don't get to see them play.

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
Rabid Ranger said:
I think Canada has the overall edge, with a clear edge on defense. Forwards are more equal, although Canada probably gets the nod there as well, especially given the experience factor. The U.S. has the edge in goal, which might be the most important factor of them all. I think without a doubt that Montoya will bring his "A" game, and that could spell trouble for the opposition, espcially with the way the U.S. is going to play defense (a fast-moving transition game). I think the U.S. will be in trouble only if bigger, physical opponents bog them down in either zone. We'll see if that happens.

I agree, but I think speed is much more effective on bigger ice. The Canadians defense looks downright scary, but will they be able to stop our forward's/defense's speed and breakout passes? I'm not so sure they can. As much as Canadians malign Fleury for the third goal in that game, they forget that the only reason the US was able to get that chance was due to our explosive speed and the Canadian defensive pairing struggling to keep up. In fact, if you examine that third period, one will see that it was the general trend....When motivated, the US team outskated the Canadian team all over the ice, and took home the gold. I'm not so sure that the US team will be able to get to the medal round again, but certainly we are sending a strong team again this year. My only major concern is the defense....if they gel together, and Suter can lead them much like he and Richards did last year.....then this team could very well repeat, especially with our ace, Montoya, in net.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
nomorekids said:
but didn't the selection of the team itself show you anything? why guys like colin fraser were picked over seemingly obvious choices like steve bernier? this is sutter's team, and crosby isn't from sutter's school. i think that everyone that's expecting crosby to put up record numbers playing on canada's first line, some kind of unstoppable scoring machine, are going to be disappointed. in fact, i'd wager that schremp will outscore him pretty handedly.

It's a Sutter's team. I will readily acknowledge that. However, do not expect Crosby to play a role similar to last year. I doubt many coaches, even the most finesse/offense-crazy would have put a 16 years old player in a frontline role. Bringing up his role last year is really not much of a point, IMO.

Of course, it's not like Crosby won't have competition. They're going to roll many lines. Mike Richards is IMO underrated and could eat up big minutes.

I also question how you can say only 2-3 forwards scare you (Stewart and I don't remember who else). Dude, Stewart is probably not even going to be one of the main threats in that set of forwards. I think a lot of people are caught up by the NHL labels on these kids when evaluating the quality, which is a huge mistake. Even a guy like Stone could be a force to reckon with and I personally would take him right now for this tournament over most (not all) of the US forwards for a short tournament at this level.

I like the US squad, BTW. Would have liked to see Thelen there but in two games I have watched this year, I can see why he didn't make it. He probably didn't deserve it.

This is going to be a GREAT tournament, I think. All of us hockey fans are going to be spoiled for the holidays. May the best team win! :D

espo*

Vlad The Impaler said:
It's a Sutter's team. I will readily acknowledge that. However, do not expect Crosby to play a role similar to last year. I doubt many coaches, even the most finesse/offense-crazy would have put a 16 years old player in a frontline role. Bringing up his role last year is really not much of a point, IMO.

Of course, it's not like Crosby won't have competition. They're going to roll many lines. Mike Richards is IMO underrated and could eat up big minutes.

I also question how you can say only 2-3 forwards scare you (Stewart and I don't remember who else). Dude, Stewart is probably not even going to be one of the main threats in that set of forwards. I think a lot of people are caught up by the NHL labels on these kids when evaluating the quality, which is a huge mistake. Even a guy like Stone could be a force to reckon with and I personally would take him right now for this tournament over most (not all) of the US forwards for a short tournament at this level.

I like the US squad, BTW. Would have liked to see Thelen there but in two games I have watched this year, I can see why he didn't make it. He probably didn't deserve it.

This is going to be a GREAT tournament, I think. All of us hockey fans are going to be spoiled for the holidays. May the best team win! :D
Who do you think will be the main offensive gun for each team ? Is Schremp the guy for the U.S and can Crosby dominate this year like he can in the chl or is it still too much to ask? My thinking is he still won't be put in a position to dominate as i think Canada will roll their lines too much.Of course he may be able to rack em up hard on the PP.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
Rabid Ranger said:
How many of the U.S. players have you seen or are even half-way familiar with? To suggest that the U.S. has no skill up front is a very bad joke.

No need to get offended, it was my personal opinion. I'm basing my opionions on various reports I've seen about these guys. To me you got 2 very skilled players in Schremp & O'Sullivan, ok so they might have problems with other aspects of the game but they can put up the points. Guys like Fritsche etc. well they just don't impress me much.

Btw, I've noticed that you're extremely biased when anything american is criticized, whenever we have a issue like this it's you who's the most agitated and very often resort to getting personal. Just an observation, you need to take others opinions even though you might not disagree with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad