Team USA announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
cagney said:
I think the problem is that few of the defensemen have improved from last season. Likens and Hunwick aren't much better than they were last year. Lashoff missed too much time to get into a groove. Macias has started off really poorly. I haven't heard a thing about Grant Lewis. Who would have guessed Thelen would have played so poorly after what he acheived last year?

OTOH, Goligoski has been a very nice surprise. If he plays the way he has been playing for the Gophers he'll be a real contributer.

It will be interesting to hear what he says. That is, if he says anything at all.

Likens and Hunwick don't excite me that much, but they are good players and have experience. I can't knock their inclusion. Macias is being jerked around in Kamloops. Is he a forward or defenseman? No one knows. Grant Lewis has been OKAY, nothing special, although his team has taken some hits. I would have thought Thelen would have been a lock, but he's gone the same way his team has. As for Lashoff not getting in the groove, neither has Lee who is also coming off an injury. Hagemo and Goligoski are playing well, so I can't find fault with them being named either. In the end, I would have liked to find a place for Lashoff and Johnson. Will their exclusion cost the team? Don't know. What I do know is the U.S. defense cannot get bogged down in it's zone or it's lights out.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
LemonDrop_27 said:
Anyone think the US will pair Lee with Suter?

I think Lee will be lucky to get much playing time at all! I remember Scott Niedermayer making it as a 17 yr old and he barely played. I guess you can't really compare Canada's D against the USA's D, cuz Lee would not of had a hope in hell of ever being considered for Canada's D, but I guess he may get a bit of playing time with the USA defence. I don't really know how good the rest of the D are for the US?

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
Rabid Ranger said:
A clear edge? I don't know about that. The U.S. lacks size up front, but skill and speed wise is top-notch. The U.S. going to able to play the same game they did last year.

Canada's speed is not top notch?? How about Russia? The Czech's?

Can you break it down for me a bit, Canada vs USA?

Captain Conservative

Apr 1, 2004
My Blue Heaven
Seachd said:
Defense

Ryan Suter (NSH)
Jeff Likens
Matt Hunwick (BOS)
Nate Hagemo
Alex Goligoski (PIT)
Casey Borer (CAR)
Brian Lee

I know a lot of you have said it but:

Likens-Suter(Both elite prospects, either is almost as good as Dion Phaneuf, or as good as Barker)
Johnson-Goligoski
Lashoff-Hunwick

Would have looked pretty damn good to me, probably would have been the 2nd best in the tournament. If team USA does poorly, there will be a whole lot of people looking at Johnson and Lashoffs omission being a reason for the failure.

Hopefully we'll do well and there will be no second guessing.

Captain Conservative

Apr 1, 2004
My Blue Heaven
Rabid Ranger said:
Aside from Malkin and Ovechkin I'm not that familiar with Russia's team, so I'll take your word for it.

Ever heard of Parshin, Radulov, Lisin, Voloshenko, Yunkov or Ogornikov?

All dangerous players. The Voloshenko-Yunkov-Radulov line was explosive in the Russian Selects/CHL exhibition. Parshin would be a scary RW for Ovy and Malkin, especially if they are playing on international sized ice. The defense has a few pretty good prospects too.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
Reilly311 said:
Well, you're saying a team that won the gold medal doesn't have any skill. Do you expect people to agree with you?

No, I didn't say they don't have any skill. Learn to read for crying out!

Like I said, team USA just doesn't impress me that much. Good goaltending obviously, average defense at best and not that much depth upfront. They won the gold last year, but they lack their best player from last year and Canada most likely won't choke twice in a row.

This is simply my opinion of the players/team, there's no right or wrong about this.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
Rabid Ranger said:
How have I made any of this personal? I get agitated because people like you, who know very little about most of the U.S. players, are making sweeping generalizations that are based on second hand information or hearsay. I do have a problem with that and am not going to be shy about voicing my displeasure.

For the record, the articles/reviews/analyses from respected posters that I see over here at HF are just as first-hand as your own information and I'm willing to be that they are much less biased than yours. You have shown total lack of objectivity when U.S players are concerned, your track record is available with a simple search.

It's my opinion of team U.S based on info I have seen/read here and other hockey websites, it's not a sweeping generalization but an OPINION.

You can voice your displeasure all you want, that's your prerogative but stop being so childish about it and grow up!

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
HabLover said:
Canada's speed is not top notch?? How about Russia? The Czech's?

Can you break it down for me a bit, Canada vs USA?

Did I say that? No, I said the U.S. team's speed is top-notch. Does that mean Canada doesn't have great speed? No.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Captain Conservative said:
I know a lot of you have said it but:

Likens-Suter(Both elite prospects, either is almost as good as Dion Phaneuf, or as good as Barker)
Johnson-Goligoski
Lashoff-Hunwick

Would have looked pretty damn good to me, probably would have been the 2nd best in the tournament. If team USA does poorly, there will be a whole lot of people looking at Johnson and Lashoffs omission being a reason for the failure.

Hopefully we'll do well and there will be no second guessing.

Lashoff and Johnson's omission isn't going to be the reason the U.S. team (and in particular the defense) doesn't do well. All along it was going to be a smaller, finesse oriented squad. If the U.S. can play a similar game as last year, and execute, we'll be fine. If the D gets bogged down in it's own zone, we're in trouble, it's that simple.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Pepper said:
For the record, the articles/reviews/analyses from respected posters that I see over here at HF are just as first-hand as your own information and I'm willing to be that they are much less biased than yours. You have shown total lack of objectivity when U.S players are concerned, your track record is available with a simple search.

It's my opinion of team U.S based on info I have seen/read here and other hockey websites, it's not a sweeping generalization but an OPINION.

You can voice your displeasure all you want, that's your prerogative but stop being so childish about it and grow up!

So youre telling me that second-hand information is more valuable then actually seeing the players in action? I've seen many of the players on the U.S. team in actual games, have you? I don't think so. As for my lack of objectivity, if that's what you call clearing up ignorance so be it.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
HalifaxHit said:
Like it was said before, living in Canada, I don't get to see much College Hockey but I thought Jimmy Sharrow might of had a chance to make this team. But I guess I was wrong on that one.

Sharrow seems to be having a good season (at least offensively), although I'm sure there are still questions about his play in his own end.

jake1

Oct 8, 2002
Visit site
Sandelin about Lee:
--------------------
"He does a lot of good things," Sandelin said. "He has good size, he can move, he moves the puck. There are just a lot of good things there."

Aside from Lee and Kessel, the rest of the U.S. team is made up of mostly college players with a handful of minor-leaguers sprinkled in. Lee's youth shouldn't be a problem because of his size, Sandelin said.

"He's not that young. He is and he isn't," Sandelin said. "He's 6-foot-3, 200 pounds. Physically, that's a lot different than being 6-3 and 170 pounds. I don't anticipate that'll be an issue."
--------------------
From the Fargo Forum. Not sure if this link will work, but I'll try.

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=77442&section=news

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
Rabid Ranger said:
So youre telling me that second-hand information is more valuable then actually seeing the players in action? I've seen many of the players on the U.S. team in actual games, have you? I don't think so. As for my lack of objectivity, if that's what you call clearing up ignorance so be it.

Are you intentionally trying to play dumb or what?

You see some player, you form an opinion about him. Someone else sees the player, writes a report. I read that report, I get the information.

Question: are you claiming that you're a better evaluator of players than those who write reports about various players, whether it's here at HF or writers at other hockey boards? Especially considering you have shown a complete lack of objectivity when talking about U.S players.

I think I rather form my opinion based on those reports thank you.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
nomorekids said:
Hm, I disagree that Canada is better this year. Crosby was practically invisible last year, and I could see Sutter using him in the same way he was used last year(on the third line, at times) simply because he favors the Western players. Really, in terms of Canadian forwards, only Stewart and Bergeron really concern me..and to a lesser extent Dawes and Crosby. Factor in also that Fleury didn't really collapse until the finals, and the team had a lot of confidence in him for most of the tournament. I dont see them having that kind ofconfidence in front of a guy like Dubnyk.

Crosby wasn't that invisible. He was 16 so he wasn't going to have a intergral role on the team anyways.

evegoe

May 23, 2003
St. Paul, Minnesota
Visit site
Lee

Brian Lee plays for Moorhead, which is in the NW corner of Minnesota, so he is a tough player to scout. Still, the Moorhead Spuds are one of the top northern teams and find their way down to the Minneapolis-St. Paul Metro Area a couple times each year.

I saw Lee during the Minnesota State High School Tournament last season, and paid special attention to him during his match-up against Centennial and Flyers fourth round pick RJ Anderson. Anderson has been regarded as the top defensemen in the state and two rosters contained some of the state’s top talent. Moorhead will likely end up with at least six Division I hockey players from that team and Centennial probably had at least five Division I players.

Lee is an imposing physical player at the high school level. He has good size at 6’3†200 lbs, and is not afraid to take the body in the defensive zone. I was surprised at how easily he was able to move the puck out of the zone against a very good Centennial team. He made the right decisions almost the entire night, and jumped into the rush when the situation presented itself. Centennial won the game 1-0, but Lee definitely impressed despite not getting in the scorebook. He didn’t have spectacular offensive skills, but the game didn’t lend itself towards racehorse hockey.

The Spuds probably play one of the toughest schedules in the state, challenging the top northern teams, playing host to many of the top metro teams, and traveling south for the premier holiday tournament. Lee has also taken advantage of the Elite Hockey League, which pits most of the state’s top 100 players against each other for 10 weekends during the fall before the 24 game high school season.

The Lincoln Stars (USHL) have kept Lee on their active roster for the 2004-05 season. He skated with Lincoln at the start of the season and played in three games. Whenever Lee finishes up with the Spuds, he can then join the Stars for nine regular season USHL games and playoffs. It’s not major junior, and it’s not the NTDP, but it’s the best experience a high school player can get.

Seeing him selected to the team may be a surprise, but he’s actually a bigger than Jack Johnson and they’re about the same age. Perhaps Lee is more physical presence than Johnson, but then again I haven’t seen Johnson play in person yet.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Pepper said:
Are you intentionally trying to play dumb or what?

You see some player, you form an opinion about him. Someone else sees the player, writes a report. I read that report, I get the information.

Question: are you claiming that you're a better evaluator of players than those who write reports about various players, whether it's here at HF or writers at other hockey boards? Especially considering you have shown a complete lack of objectivity when talking about U.S players.

I think I rather form my opinion based on those reports thank you.

1) How many of the U.S. players have you seen live or on television?

2) Can you cite your sources that indicate that the U.S. has no offense to speak of besides O'Sullivan and Schremp? That is what you said, right?

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
How about some lineup discussion? Here's what I'm thinking...

Stafford-O'Sullivan-Callahan
Porter-Fritsche-Schremp
Bourque-Hensick-Pineault
Weller-Dowell-Brown
Kessel

Three offensive lines, each with one pure goal scorer - one defensive/energy line. Kessel will see time on the PP. The first line had good chemistry at the summer evaluation camp. The second line depends on Schremp's ability to play the wing. I'm pretty sure the third line had time together at the summer evaluation camp as well. The fourth line just makes sense.

Suter-Likens
Hagemo-Goligoski
Hunwick-Lee
Borer

Going with possible chemistry for the most part. Suter and Likens played together with both the NTDP and Wisconsin. Hagemo and Goligoski are both Gophers. Hunwick and Borer probably have stronger links as they played on the same NTDP team but I'm interested to see what Lee can do.

Montoya
Schneider

Should be good.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
Rabid Ranger said:
2) Can you cite your sources that indicate that the U.S. has no offense to speak of besides O'Sullivan and Schremp? That is what you said, right?

No, I didn't say that and you really need to work on your reading comprehension.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
cagney said:
How about some lineup discussion? Here's what I'm thinking...

Stafford-O'Sullivan-Callahan
Porter-Fritsche-Schremp
Bourque-Hensick-Pineault
Weller-Dowell-Brown
Kessel

Three offensive lines, each with one pure goal scorer - one defensive/energy line. Kessel will see time on the PP. The first line had good chemistry at the summer evaluation camp. The second line depends on Schremp's ability to play the wing. I'm pretty sure the third line had time together at the summer evaluation camp as well. The fourth line just makes sense.

Suter-Likens
Hagemo-Goligoski
Hunwick-Lee
Borer

Going with possible chemistry for the most part. Suter and Likens played together with both the NTDP and Wisconsin. Hagemo and Goligoski are both Gophers. Hunwick and Borer probably have stronger links as they played on the same NTDP team but I'm interested to see what Lee can do.

Montoya
Schneider

Should be good.

Good balance at forward, although didn't Schremp play with Hensick at the camp? As for the defense, I think you're spot on, except Borer will likely be the regular and Lee the extra man. I'm salivating at the PP unit the U.S. will be able to throw out there. Suter and Goligoski at the point, with O'Sullivan, Schremp, and Hensick up front!!! :bow:

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
Rabid Ranger said:
didn't Schremp play with Hensick at the camp?

The lines were juggled so much that they might have at some point. The one constant was O'Sullivan/Stafford and I'm pretty sure Callahan spent most of his time with them as well.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
cagney said:
The lines were juggled so much that they might have at some point. The one constant was O'Sullivan/Stafford and I'm pretty sure Callahan spent most of his time with them as well.

That's a great 1st line IMO. Well balanced.

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
Captain Conservative said:

Did anyone else find this statement questionable? That's the first I've heard that Likens is almost as good as Phaneuf. Maybe I'm just clueless about Likens but if he's anywhere near Phaneuf level you'd think he'd be hyped a little more on these boards.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Flames Draft Watcher said:
Did anyone else find this statement questionable? That's the first I've heard that Likens is almost as good as Phaneuf. Maybe I'm just clueless about Likens but if he's anywhere near Phaneuf level you'd think he'd be hyped a little more on these boards.

Likens is not anywhere near Suter or Phaneuf's level. He's a nice college player with good finesse skills. If he makes it in the NHL, it will be as a 3rd pairing, 2nd PP unit kind of guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad