Team USA announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Flames Draft Watcher said:
I don't see how you can defend that position with any kind of logic. Canada has a large amount of returnees. In other words we have players coming back who are a year older, more experienced, further developed, etc. They were good enough to make the team at age 18 (or younger in Crosby's case) and now should be even more dominant.

Your comments about Crosby are puzzling to say the least. Why would he not play a bigger role a year later when he's older, stronger, more developed, etc. Your Sutter comments are puzzling as well. I don't see Darryl sticking Iginla on the 3rd line so that he can play grinders on the 1st line. I didn't see Brian shy away from using softer skill guys like Stillman and Bure despite the fact he had grittier options. For the same reason you will see Crosby in a scoring role.

Use your head man, it doesn't appear you really thought it through. Funny how some people are talking about this being one of the best junior teams ever and you think they've regressed...

Good points. The only area I would question would be goaltending, but it's not as if Canada doesn't have several qualified individuals to take on that task.

SpaceGhost79

Mar 8, 2002
Keep in mind one more factor... last minute replacements. This is the roster right now, but as has been the case in years past, players get injured or can't make the tourney for whatever reason and others are called on to take their place. I know Michigan has had a few of their players over the past few years wind up being last minute replacements (Hunwick I think was one last year), so there's still a chance that guys like Johnson may wind up on the roster when all is said and done.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
Rabid Ranger said:
When's the last time you saw Nickerson? From what I understand, he was getting challenged alot and he was piling up the PM's. He's also a good skater and puck-handler for his size, not that you were necessarily disputing that. As for Phaneuf being the best puck-handler, I wouldn't go that far.

I have seen Nickerson three times in the past month.

Sorry, what I meant to say was along of the lines of: "If you want to destroy Crosby like Phaneuf did to Olesz, Nickerson needs to have better skating, hockey sense, and open ice hitting abilities.

My point is, in terms of whatever original post I was referring to, Nickerson would be lucky to be able to hook Crosby in open ice. He has good footwork for a guy his size, but necessarily speed. His puck handling is okay, yes, I agree, but if you think Nickerson is the type of guy whose going to lay someone out in open ice it's just not going to happen.

EDIT: I meant Crosby was the best puck handler in the tournament in my first post

Reilly311

someone post some links about Brian Lee (the good version), I'm too lazy to do it myself. Also, I like the team, however, I really wanted to see this Johnson kid play. Schremp better show up.

Chief

Jun 19, 2003
NY, NY
John Flyers Fan said:
The only area where it appears that Canada could take a major step back is in goal...

I'm not agreeing that this year's team Canada is worse than last year's but a downgrade in goaltending is enough basis to argue that point.

dem

Mar 17, 2002
Its not exactly going to be tough to match Fleury's performance from last year. The guy looked shakey from the start.

MePutPuckInNet

Jan 1, 2004
Toronto
Visit site
I think the only reason Jack Johnson is not on the team is because he's an '87...The reason Josh Hennesey isn't on the team is because he's an '85. There's already plenty of '85's who will not be able to return next year. USA Hockey is clearly, at least it's clear to me, planning on being a force in the international hockey world in the future, as well as the present. As Rabid Ranger has said, it's numbers. I don't think there is any slight intended to either one of those players as they certainly have the skill and the character Team USA is looking for. But, unfortunately, not everyone can be on the team and somebody's got to get cut.

In my opinion, the reason for Brian Lee being selected over Johnson, is his size...which, if anything, is something that this team lacks...so, the addition of a big body is probably a very important factor.

No surprise to me whatsoever that AJ Thelen didn't make it, and I don't think it has anything to do with his struggle this season so far. He's got a massive ego and it was a problem for a few of the veteran players to deal with in evaluation camp. I think he's a good d-man and will expect him to be a big part of the MN Wild eventually, however, I think at the moment he has some character issues he's going to have to grow out of before he can really be considered a "team guy".

Which of course leads me to the only player who truly should not be on this team, Christy Bourque. The only reason it's even remotely tolerable, in my mind, is that I know the vets on the team have clearly shown that they're not going to take any crap from him, so I am certain they can handle his ego-mania. And that's all I'll say about him, since I don't wanna get in trouble again.

The only semi-question mark for me was the selection of Shawn Weller....although I'm not in any way disappointed, just surprised. I am really happy about Nate Hagemo and Kev Porter.

I've got lots more to say, but I'll save it for later. [I'm sure you'll be eagerly anticipating my opinions and thoughts...as well you should ;) ].

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Chief said:
I'm not agreeing that this year's team Canada is worse than last year's but a downgrade in goaltending is enough basis to argue that point.

that's kind of what I was getting at.

I think it starts and ends with the popular belief that US didn't deserve to win last year, and that it was some sort of fluke that rests solely on the shoulders of Marc-Andre Fleury. Call me a homer, but I disagree. It took the States a while to figure out a system that could beat the physicality of the Canadians, but when they did it, they were almost powerless to stop it. Fleury, throughout the tournament, played his role for Canada admirably. In the final period of the game that counted, the Americans were getting by the Canadian defense with a strong first pass(an element I think you'll see retained this year) and with tremendous speed\puckhandling through the neutral zone...eventually free to take their shot. I'm sorry, but while there are some decent names in goal for Canada, none of them are in the same league as Fleury, especially not the projected starter, Dubnyk. Factor in also the mental effect that a goalie has on his team. A team plays differently in front of their backup..a more reserved, cautious game..and the same can be said of a team playing in front of a superstar-potential, high caliber goalie as opposed to a much more average-looking tender. I wasn't meaning to slight Canada, as I think that they're still to be favored...but this year I'd place them at about equal with the US, when cumulatively balance everything out..whereas last year I heavily favored them. Russia is nothing to be scoffed at, either. It's just always the same with these things...everyone goes into it laughing at the idea of anything but gold for Canada, and one way or another they're thwarted by underestimating their opponents time and time again.

Kirk- NEHJ

Aug 22, 2002
CAV Country!
www.hockeyjournal.com
MePutPuckInNet said:
Which of course leads me to the only player who truly should not be on this team, Christy Bourque. The only reason it's even remotely tolerable, in my mind, is that I know the vets on the team have clearly shown that they're not going to take any crap from him, so I am certain they can handle his ego-mania. And that's all I'll say about him, since I don't wanna get in trouble again.

I sense a legion of angry Caps fans about to weigh in, here. Just a hunch.

Mountain Dude

Chief said:

Are you kidding? Fleury was our worst player last year, he cost us the gold medal, we couldn't be worse in goal than last year. :shakehead

MrMastodonFarm*

Jul 5, 2004
nomorekids said:
but didn't the selection of the team itself show you anything? why guys like colin fraser were picked over seemingly obvious choices like steve bernier? .
Obvious choices? No sorry, Steve Bernier was certainly not an obvious choice.

IkeaMonkey*

Mountain Dude said:
Are you kidding? Fleury was our worst player last year, he cost us the gold medal, we couldn't be worse in goal than last year. :shakehead

To steal a quote from my man Captain Kirk....

I sense a legion of angry Canada fans about to weigh in, here. Just a hunch.

Reilly311

Mountain Dude said:

I don't even think Canada had a goaltending coach last year. If that's the case, then they have nobody to blame but themselves (Hockey canada that is).

Spectacular_Bid

Mar 22, 2004
MePutPuckInNet said:
Which of course leads me to the only player who truly should not be on this team, Christy Bourque. The only reason it's even remotely tolerable, in my mind, is that I know the vets on the team have clearly shown that they're not going to take any crap from him, so I am certain they can handle his ego-mania. And that's all I'll say about him, since I don't wanna get in trouble again. ].

Totally agree, I would have taken Tom Fritsche instead.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Hab Fan said:
Montoya has been having a so-so season. Jeff Frazee is the best 87 goalie and should have had a shot.

Montoya is standing on his head with a team with HORRIBLE defense. He's getting hit with like 20 odd man rushes per period. He's been playing very well for what he's been givin this season.

dem

Mar 17, 2002
Mountain Dude said:

While this is going a bit too far... he certainly wasnt the MAF of the previous year. He looked shakey the whole tourny to me. I think I remember Mcguire or someone harping on the fact that he looked off too.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
nomorekids said:
that's kind of what I was getting at.

I think it starts and ends with the popular belief that US didn't deserve to win last year, and that it was some sort of fluke that rests solely on the shoulders of Marc-Andre Fleury. Call me a homer, but I disagree. It took the States a while to figure out a system that could beat the physicality of the Canadians, but when they did it, they were almost powerless to stop it.

US won the game, bottom line.

IMO Canada was the best team throughout the course of the tournament. The key to the gold medal game was that Montoya made the huge stops early in the game, they kept the US within striking distance.

Canada powerless to stop the US in period 3 ??? Yes, the US was the better team in the 3rd period, but IMO Canada had a bigger edge in the 2nd period than the US did in the 3rd period.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
MrMastodonFarm said:
Obvious choices? No sorry, Steve Bernier was certainly not an obvious choice.

I'd put him behind only Crosby as the best player in the Q. That certainly, to me, makes him a more obvious choice than limited potential guys like Clarke MacArthur and Colin Fraser..guys who likely wouldn't be picked if this weren't a Sutter team. Don't act like I'm the only one saying it, either. Yesterday, everyone was up in arms about it, but now all of a sudden it's being rationalized left and right.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
LemonDrop_27 said:
Hagemo will probably get drafted. I haven't really kept up with the rankings but probably somewhere in the 6th or 7th round.

I think he'll go a bit higher then that. He plays a very tough game for a small man and almost reminds me of a Marc-Andre Bergeron type gamer with even more feistiness.

The kid should be a good one. Probably 4th round or so.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Flames Draft Watcher said:
I don't see how you can defend that position with any kind of logic. Canada has a large amount of returnees. In other words we have players coming back who are a year older, more experienced, further developed, etc. They were good enough to make the team at age 18 (or younger in Crosby's case) and now should be even more dominant.

Your comments about Crosby are puzzling to say the least. Why would he not play a bigger role a year later when he's older, stronger, more developed, etc. Your Sutter comments are puzzling as well. I don't see Darryl sticking Iginla on the 3rd line so that he can play grinders on the 1st line. I didn't see Brian shy away from using softer skill guys like Stillman and Bure despite the fact he had grittier options. For the same reason you will see Crosby in a scoring role.

Use your head man, it doesn't appear you really thought it through. Funny how some people are talking about this being one of the best junior teams ever and you think they've regressed...

I completely agree here, I don't see anyway that he can defend that stance, other then with ignorance.

Mountain Dude

Reveille said:
Blah blah blah we won the gold.

Exactly, because you had the better overall team. Forwards were about equal both ways, same with Defense, but Montoya is a far superior goalie to Fleury.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Mountain Dude said:
Exactly, because you had the better overall team. Forwards were about equal both ways, same with Defense, but Montoya is a far superior goalie to Fleury.

I think that's mostly true again, except this time, the forwards are about equal, Canada has an edge beyond the first pairing defensively, and the US has a notable edge in goaltending. I'd put the teams at about equal once again, with a slight edge to Canada.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad