Team toughness

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
I think there was an un-quantifiable benefit to the Caps when Wilson pummeled Coburn.

Toughness is not necessarily about the Wilsons of the game. I'd like to see us playing a heavy game, like the Jets. Honestly, the Caps pulled through over the Bolts because Tampa plays a very finesse game like we have been. We just need more grit and mental endurance among our players.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
I think there was an un-quantifiable benefit to the Caps when Wilson pummeled Coburn.

Toughness is not necessarily about the Wilsons of the game. I'd like to see us playing a heavy game, like the Jets. Honestly, the Caps pulled through over the Bolts because Tampa plays a very finesse game like we have been. We just need more grit and mental endurance among our players.
I'd be careful how firm a conclusion we draw about what you need to succeed in the playoffs from this Washington team. It's pretty similar in makeup to all the other Washington teams of previous years that struggled in the playoffs, including against the soft Rangers.

Nopuckluck

Dec 29, 2017
Say what yo u want, but there most certainly is a place for him in the NHL and he is very effective in what he does. I would take him on the Rangers in a heartbeat.
I was being sarcastic. There’s many Rangers fans who claim they don’t want a player like him. I’d love two of them.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
I'd be careful how firm a conclusion we draw about what you need to succeed in the playoffs from this Washington team. It's pretty similar in makeup to all the other Washington teams of previous years that struggled in the playoffs, including against the soft Rangers.
I really think the difference with this Caps teams and ones of years past is that Holtby hasn’t fallen apart (yet)

Stasis

Mad Decent
Oct 25, 2009
NYC & MTL
Bring back Glass. Play a bottom line of Glass - McLeod - Beleskey.

Go get McIlrath, and Bickel.

There, solved.

In case anyone needs it, /s.

edit: Re: Smith. For me he gets a look. I mean, not much other choice really. He's an "asset" costing a fair amount of cap who came into last season having slacked off and never caught up. Now, I don't have much hope. At best I think he becomes a serviceable 5-6 guy to ease in a rookie, playing limited minutes, who can also stand up for guys and clear the crease, with the occasional frustrating brain fart Detroit fans warned us about. I'd like at least that. I'm not hoping for more, nor an I even expecting this tbh. That said, not being physically prepared for an NHL/AHL season really messes guys up and they rarely come back from that mid-season. He's already clearly not great. Add that to his off-season and well, there you go.

But he's definitely getting a look unless we magically manage to move him and I don't see who wants him right now. Like it or not I'm pretty sure both Staal and Smith are on the team to start the season. If he's in shape and shows even a small amount of his Skjei chemistry, that's a pairing that will happen a bit. As it is it's hard to fathom pairings.

It's pretty awesome that we're rebuilding, yes, but we're also paying Girardi, Staal and Smith a combined $13M (well, $13,050,000) next year.

Last edited:

Nopuckluck

Dec 29, 2017
So with Quinn mentioning grit and physicality and Gorton admitting getting these types of players are a priority let’s come up with some ideas of our next Tom Wilson.

I actually believe the Rangers are all in to do whatever it takes to draft Brady Tkachuk

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I love how the last 3 seasons a finesse team won, this season is the most finesse the league has been in a while, but because Washington made the SCF and they have Tom Wilson, they need to go back to #Toffness. The Caps have been a joke for a decade but one year they win a few extra games and we have to pattern our team by them?

Reactions: GregSirico

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
I love how the last 3 seasons a finesse team won, this season is the most finesse the league has been in a while, but because Washington made the SCF and they have Tom Wilson, they need to go back to #Toffness. The Caps have been a joke for a decade but one year they win a few extra games and we have to pattern our team by them?
You should see Ranger fan social media ... "we need Wilson"

Why so he can take dumb penalties?

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Toughness is a mindset. Jesper fasth is our toughest player and he's pretty small. Mza is tough.

Av neutered a lot of our toughness but we've got plenty of players who can play a heavy game. Ck was a tough sob to play against till AV took hitting out of his repertoire

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
The thing with Wilson is--if you put him on the Rangers maybe he'd replicate the role he has with the Capitals but IMO that's a reach. One thing to keep in mind is that he's homegrown there and they developed him into that role....and these days he plays with Ovechkin and Backstrom all the time. The Rangers don't have equivalents of any of those players including Wilson---so how he'd fit in as a Ranger player IMO would be a big ? mark.

Bringing Brady Tkachuk into this---Tkachuk is a much more skilled player than Wilson is. He will be similar size. I've no idea if he's going to be a guy fighting all the time but he's a grade A asshole to play against and if he's even more ornery than his brother like his brother says---well he'll be really tough and a handful to deal with. Sometimes I look at Matthew Tkachuk as a 6'2 version of Brad Marchand and Matthew is pretty much a 50 point guy as a 20 year old. It's possible he'll produce like Marchand some day.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Tom Wilson had 5 points in 41 playoff games coming into this season.

He suddenly hits a hot steak and he’s f***ing John Leclair

Reactions: Bozle

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I'll give it up to Wilson that he's made himself a serviceable player but he's going to get paid based on narratives and we don't need that.

Toughness isn't the problem, first of all, and Wilson's value comes from the fact that he's been effective in his role this year. It meant nothing when Wilson was one of the worst players in the league two years ago.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Tom Wilson had 5 points in 41 playoff games coming into this season.

He suddenly hits a hot steak and he’s ****ing John Leclair

It ain't about the points all that much with Wilson. One of his main contributions has been to open up more space for his line mates Backstrom and Ovechkin. His hitting game has been very effective and he absolutely outclassed Coburn in their fight and it's arguable that before the series was out with Tampa it demoralized at least some of the Lightning's players. He's big--he skates well and he hits hard and a lot and he's on the border line with a lot of his hits. He's a piece of shit but an effective piece of shit. Vegas has Ryan Reaves but Reaves isn't nearly as good a player.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Ovechkin is the most dominant power forward of the last 40+ years. He's the one creating space on that line.

If anything, Wilson is pretty good in the neutral zone, but the idea that he opens up space is, at best, an assumption.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Ovechkin is the most dominant power forward of the last 40+ years. He's the one creating space on that line.

If anything, Wilson is pretty good in the neutral zone, but the idea that he opens up space is, at best, an assumption.

Au contraire---Ovechkin is the one they want to find space for. On his own he draws checkers/coverage like a magnet. Another big body (Wilson) banging bodies on the forecheck and causing havoc along the boards, in the corners and the crease area creates openings for Ovechkin to exploit. That's why Trotz put him on the same line because just on skill Tom Wilson is not a first line player. It's really pretty much the same idea that Emile Francis had putting Hadfield on a line with Ratelle and Gilbert.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Au contraire---Ovechkin is the one they want to find space for. On his own he draws checkers/coverage like a magnet. Another big body (Wilson) banging bodies on the forecheck and causing havoc along the boards, in the corners and the crease area creates openings for Ovechkin to exploit. That's why Trotz put him on the same line because just on skill Tom Wilson is not a first line player. It's really pretty much the same idea that Emile Francis had putting Hadfield on a line with Ratelle and Gilbert.

Ovechkin was around for ten years before Wilson. He always created his own space.

But even if that's a given, what do we have here? Not terribly skilled but a good even strength scorer, no PP, hits everything, great at tipping picks, solid defense.

Take the suspensions away and he's Jesper Fast. I love Fast, but is that something this team desperately needs?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad