Team toughness

ZiGOODejad

intangibles
Nov 30, 2013
The enforcers are a thing in the past. I don't condone an enforcer. What I would prefer is finishing your damn checks. Don't pass a guy and scrap him. Nail that sucker to the boards. As well as Stand up for your teammates. Too many guys getting roughed up and teammates just skating away. You got to have each other's back. It's a bonding moment when you stick up for another guy and that's not your style of play. Idk I'm just spit balling here.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
The enforcers are a thing in the past. I don't condone an enforcer. What I would prefer is finishing your damn checks. Don't pass a guy and scrap him. Nail that sucker to the boards. As well as Stand up for your teammates. Too many guys getting roughed up and teammates just skating away. You got to have each other's back. It's a bonding moment when you stick up for another guy and that's not your style of play. Idk I'm just spit balling here.
Not every team has an answer for Dustin Byfuglien with a player in each hand. But they should. They used to. We used to.

Stasis

Mad Decent
Oct 25, 2009
NYC & MTL
Yes, that is exactly what people are talking about. Nailed it.

Super late in replying to this but I feel it needs to be said. This is exactly why I mentioned the /s in case anyone needed it. You did.

It meant sarcasm. I wasn't at all implying people were wanting that. I wasn't even making fun of people who like toughness. I'm not against it. I was just being silly. =/

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Super late in replying to this but I feel it needs to be said. This is exactly why I mentioned the /s in case anyone needed it. You did.

It meant sarcasm. I wasn't at all implying people were wanting that. I wasn't even making fun of people who like toughness. I'm not against it. I was just being silly. =/
My bad.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Both Vegas and Washington are bigger, meaner, tougher teams than the Rangers. They also have players who will cross the line into dirty play at times, coaching staffs that will complain when the league comes back at them for the dirty play, and fanbases that will make excuses for all their excesses---victimized opponents for instance are usually vilified for bringing mayhem or injury on themselves by doing something not nearly as bad, or not having their heads up.

But anyway the trend this year---the team winning the Cup is not going to be a patsy kind of team. It's going to be a proactive mean team.

Reactions: Mikos87 and NYR

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Why are we always trying to copy cat another team?

Hilariously, after a season full of talk of how our model was always wrong and we need to completely change our org, thought process, etc - the final is between one team that got formed a year ago, and another that has been giving it another kick at the can with older vets for awhile now.

Reactions: GregSirico

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Why are we always trying to copy cat another team?
No one is trying to copy another team. The commentary has been is that this team has become marshmallow soft under AV. Very easy to play against. That needs to change. The next set of comments that were made, as it pertains to this, was about the construction of the playoff teams. No one is saying "Lets become the Caps or Jets". The way this team has played has to change. The way that it was formerly constructed has to change.

Reactions: eco's bones

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Hilariously, after a season full of talk of how our model was always wrong and we need to completely change our org, thought process, etc - the final is between one team that got formed a year ago, and another that has been giving it another kick at the can with older vets for awhile now.
Who said anything about going at it with older vets?

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
No one is trying to copy another team. The commentary has been is that this team has become marshmallow soft under AV. Very easy to play against. That needs to change. The next set of comments that were made, as it pertains to this, was about the construction of the playoff teams. No one is saying "Lets become the Caps or Jets". The way this team has played has to change. The way that it was formerly constructed has to change.
What needs to change the talent level ... it's literally that simple. We are making this out to be more difficult than it is. We are so quick to point fingers but the bottom line is we are not an elite level talent team. We have some nice pieces (Zib, Kreider, Hank even now, Buch, Shatty if he's healthy, Skjei, Hayes, Chytil, Andersson, Pionk, and maybe DeAngelo) which is a good start, but you need talent across all 4 lines and depth at the blue line ... LONG WAY TO GO.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
What needs to change the talent level ... it's literally that simple. We are making this out to be more difficult than it is. We are so quick to point fingers but the bottom line is we are not an elite level talent team. We have some nice pieces (Zib, Kreider, Hank even now, Buch, Shatty if he's healthy, Skjei, Hayes, Chytil, Andersson, Pionk, and maybe DeAngelo) which is a good start, but you need talent across all 4 lines and depth at the blue line ... LONG WAY TO GO.
Changing the talent is not the only thing that this team needs to change. AV absolutely wussified this team. They need to be tougher to play against. They need not to be afraid to go into corners or the front of the net. They need not to be afraid to engage players to clear them out of the crease. They need to be able to do something besides poke check in order to separate an opposing player from the puck. And they need to remember to stand up for their teammates.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
Changing the talent is not the only thing that this team needs to change. AV absolutely wussified this team. They need to be tougher to play against. They need not to be afraid to go into corners or the front of the net. They need not to be afraid to engage players to clear them out of the crease. They need to be able to do something besides poke check in order to separate an opposing player from the puck. And they need to remember to stand up for their teammates.

One of the things I've liked about Quinn so far is he's not talked about being harder to play against, but also defined what that means to him.

I'm not sure that AV wussified the team. I didn't see a whole lot of interest in playing tough on the roster.

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
I don't know about "wussified" the team, I think he had them play a completely different style.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
One of the things I've liked about Quinn so far is he's not talked about being harder to play against, but also defined what that means to him.

I'm not sure that AV wussified the team. I didn't see a whole lot of interest in playing tough on the roster.
I have liked that as well about him. You are right, there was no interest. But that always starts at the top. And AV was the head of the snake.

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
Not having a guy to throw a huge hit or punch someone in the face after a dirty play is a personnel problem.

Not cycling or forchecking, which is where most of the hits that actually matter happen, is a system and coaching problem.

The latter is about 500000 times more important than the former.

Reactions: GeorgeKaplan

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Not having a guy to throw a huge hit or punch someone in the face after a dirty play is a personnel problem.

Not cycling or forchecking, which is where most of the hits that actually matter happen, is a system and coaching problem.

The latter is about 500000 times more important than the former.
I tend to agree with this. Which is my point. Toughness starts with a mind set. That mind set needs to be instilled by the coach.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad