WC: Team Sweden 2019 roster part II

EK47

Feb 7, 2013
did they run powerplays? klingberg in top unit?
PP1:
Klingberg - OEL
Hörnqvist - Wennberg - Nylander
PP2
Gustafsson
Pettersson - Lindholm
Eriksson - Lindblom

Switch out one of Eriksson or Lindblom for Landeskog and you’re home(Should be Eriksson, will be Lindblom)

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
I mentioned earlier I didn't think Landeskog was such an important addition to this team, considering he hasn't looked like a world beater in some earlier participations. Well, I was completely wrong and I think I want to start the party music, because he was the last puzzle piece for creating two lethal, offensive lines for Sweden. Both Nylander - Wennberg - Hörnqvist and Landeskog - Lindholm - Pettersson look like two lines that can decide close games. Anyone can show flashes of brilliance and be game deciders in their roles. I wouldn't exactly feel comfortable being the coach of an opponent facing that top 6.

Then the bottom 6, defensive forward lines are absolutely elite. They're not only extremely hard working, they're also an offensive threat if you blink. And then we still have Bratt coming back from his injury, looking hot and ready to go. Considering all their team roles, you can't ask for more. The quality is top class, you don't need a bunch of world stars to create that, if all of them knows how to play their kind of hockey.

Defensively, the addition of Klingberg was so important. In a WHC tournament, any team would beg on their knees to have Larsson - OEL and Ekholm - Klingberg as their top 4 pairing. Heck, that's good enough in the (real) olympics. That's the Swedish B-team on defense, but it's still just ridiculous and it shows. It also shows how effective a mobile, creative game can make the defensemen look. Defensive defenseman Adam Larsson just scored - and even drove to the net(!) - in the Swedish system. How often do you see him cycling behind the opposing net in Edmonton or is close to be the game winner in a gold medal game against Switzerland (damn post)?

It looks very, very good. The offensive lines have great potential, the defensive lines are great, the defense is kind of awesome, the goaltending is awesome and team morale is at a top. I get "Bengan" feelings from interviews with these guys, they're there to win while having fun playing hockey.

I have to give huge credit to Grönborg to give room to create this relaxed atmosphere. He doesn't punish players for making mistakes, he allows them to repay it, because he gives them confidence. Even the lowest of the low Loui Eriksson doesn't usually look out of place (except for the game against Austria, he's been doing his job).

Nylander came in with a torn confidence. Wennberg the same. Loui Eriksson the same. Larsson had it tough. Many players had tough seasons. Look at them now when they're allowed to make mistakes. Playing for this team is like hockey hippie healing for these guys. It's not a coincidence Sweden basically has 100% NHL players in this tournament and why they've won two straight golds. Because they all feel it's so damn fun.

I can nitpick about Grönborg's choosing of players and small tactical details, but when it comes to creating a winning atmosphere, he's a master. Buffalo lost a great chance recruiting this guy as their coach. We can nitpick positions, but I have to give Grönborg huge credit for giving his players confidence and a real chance to perform what is asked of them.

Compare Grönborg as a coach, compared to the situation in Finland, or the dark era of "Grossman kommer!". I'm actually softening the thought of Garpenlöv, because he has the same team philosphy as Grönborg's adept. As long as Sweden has 90-100% NHL players on the national team, I can't really complain, because winning is fun. I'll miss him.

Last edited:

EK47

Feb 7, 2013
Lindblom ön line 4...
That line actually looked pretty good IMHO Lindblom gave them another dimension. They really need to swap out Loui on the PP and give Lindblom his spot though. Its time to face it he isn’t the same player anymore. Don’t get me wrong I’m still fine with him on a 3rd or 4th line. Just not on the powerplay.

EK47

Feb 7, 2013
Landeskog looks ridiculously strong its like they don’t even try to outmuscle him for the puck, he just goes in full force gets it to one of Lindholm or Pettersson and then goes to the net.

Reactions: LaGu

EK47

Feb 7, 2013
How has Elias Lindholm looked so far? Really loved his play this year and hope he keeps it up!
A bit meh to be honest. Getting better though. Hopefully he does well against some qualified competition on saturday.

matsqq

Jan 3, 2011
Anyone know how playoffs will be played? The changed it this year.
IIHF - Tournament Info 2019 IIHF ICE HOCKEY WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP

Tournament Format

The 16 teams are divided into two groups for the Preliminary Round.
The top-four ranked teams of each group advance to the quarter-finals that will be played cross-over. The first-place team in each preliminary-round group plays the fourth-place team of the other group, while the second-place team plays the third-place team of the other group. 1A-4B, 2A-3B, 1B-4A, 2B-3A. If Slovakia qualifies, they shall play the 20:15 game in Bratislava. The venues and time slots of the games will officially be determined following the conclusion of the preliminary round.

In the semi-finals the best-ranked team - criteria: 1) placement in the group, 2) points in the preliminary round, 3) goal difference in the preliminary round, 4) goals scored in the preliminary round, 5) seeding coming into the tournament - will play against the lowest-ranked semi-finalist. The 2nd-best ranked semi-finalist will play the 3rd-best ranked semi-finalist. Both semi-final games will be played in Bratislava. The host if qualified, or otherwise the best-ranked semi-finalist according to beforementioned criteria, shall play the 15:15 game in Bratislava. The time slots will officially be determined after the quarter-final games.

The winning teams of the semi-final games advance to the gold medal game while the semi-final losing teams play for bronze.

Poro24

May 4, 2005
Finland
Compare Grönborg as a coach, compared to the situation in Finland, or the dark era of "Grossman kommer!". I'm actually softening the thought of Garpenlöv, because he has the same team philosphy as Grönborg's adept. As long as Sweden has 90-100% NHL players on the national team, I can't really complain, because winning is fun. I'll miss him.
Great post. It's amazing how many quality NHL-players Sweden gets for this tournament every year.

Here in Finland we are finally starting to have many good quality young players in the NHL. Actually i think there has never been so many Finnish NHL-players than now.

But nobody came to World Championships...

Sure they all seem to have a good reason, but... If a guy like Elias Pettersson was Finnish player, he would have stayed out. He had a hard first NHL season and couple injuries. He would have wanted to rest and get ready for new NHL season. Same with Landeskog, long and heavy season with the Avs. If he was a Finnish player he would be resting now instead of being in Slovakia. But these Swedish players want to win GOLD more than resting in home. I really like that.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
A bit meh to be honest. Getting better though. Hopefully he does well against some qualified competition on saturday.
I'd say worse than that. He's been the biggest disappointment on the team so far. Should be our second best forward, haven't been even close to that.

Of course, if he steps up going forward, none of that matters. And he's on a terrific line right now, he should do well.

Phil McKraken

Jul 13, 2010
Sweden
I think people overestimate Grönborg's ability to make players accept their invitation. Let's remember that we have almost 100 NHL players nowadays, so in any given year he can get 60-70 no:s and still put together a solid contender in this tournament. Outside of 3 players we had two completely different rosters these last two years, and as good as this roster is, we could assemble a better team out of only non-participants.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
I think people overestimate Grönborg's ability to make players accept their invitation. Let's remember that we have almost 100 NHL players nowadays, so in any given year he can get 60-70 no:s and still put together a solid contender in this tournament. Outside of 3 players we had two completely different rosters these last two years, and as good as this roster is, we could assemble a better team out of only non-participants.

Plenty of those 60-70 players were simply not asked. About 10 guys are still in the SC playoffs (or just eliminated), some are without a contract for next season and a few were injured. Getting 20+ NHL players 3 years in a row is pretty great.

Last edited:

Star Ocean

Dec 30, 2018
Media complains at big wins vs weaker teams as if it is anything new. I just dug up WHC 2001 when we won against austria with 11-0 with half our players from SHL.

EK47

Feb 7, 2013
I'd say worse than that. He's been the biggest disappointment on the team so far. Should be our second best forward, haven't been even close to that.

Of course, if he steps up going forward, none of that matters. And he's on a terrific line right now, he should do well.
I don’t even count the first and second game everyone with half a brain should be able to understand that you don’t play a line with two cerebral wingers and a center with no hockey IQ. That’s just an insane way to use your players.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
I'm not certain Elias Lindholm needs to be a star offensively on this team. But certainly a goal or two in the playoffs will go a long way. On the PP he's definitely not the go-to player on this team.

Reactions: EK47

Star Ocean

Dec 30, 2018
Aftonbladet today explains that the 3rd team of this group plays russia in semis. And even if sweden beats russia in group play we need better GD to not let the czechs finish ahead of us.

So we need to score big vs swiss and latvia to have a chance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad