Olympics: Team Russia 2022

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Is Kuznetsov confirmed to be banned from this tournament for certain? Some Russian poster had previously posted about an appeal process happening for him. Personally I think his ban is fair.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Hard to get excited about this lineup, whatever combination you use. Hard to imagine them fighting hard to try to win! Very mediocre and uninspired in 2006, 2010 and 2014. Could be even less inspiring this time.
You like to give up early. This lineup would not be any worse than the past ones. The D is upgraded, goaltending is upgraded.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Lots of things can happen before the tournament. There can certainly be breakouts who put themselves on the list. I can only make the team based on the information that is known right now.
I tried making somewhat of a projection. Obviously we are all now talking from out here and now perspective. Who knows who is available and on the top of their game in winter.

Reactions: MaxV

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Is Kuznetsov confirmed to be banned from this tournament for certain? Some Russian poster had previously posted about an appeal process happening for him. Personally I think his ban is fair.
The ban is fair. How the whole situation eveolved though is fishy. He definitely was set up. That does not excuse drug use.

Juppy61

May 14, 2013
Canada
Hard to get excited about this lineup, whatever combination you use. Hard to imagine them fighting hard to try to win! Very mediocre and uninspired in 2006, 2010 and 2014. Could be even less inspiring this time.
Hmm, not sure about that. Ovi is a fighter and after watching kucherov In Stanley cup playoffs he is a beast who could get others fired up.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
You like to give up early. This lineup would not be any worse than the past ones. The D is upgraded, goaltending is upgraded.

I agree that goaltending is in good shape, with Vasilevskiy being likely the best goaltender in the world. Defense may also be slightly better, although, in my opinion, not markedly so. But the downside is that the two biggest stars, Ovechkin and Malkin, will be 36 and 35, respectively. Scientists tell us that testosterone peaks in males at age 24-26, then begins to decline steadily every year after, and both are already beginning to show signs of slowing up. Kucherov and Panarin are both very skilled offensive players, but they are little guys who will be unlikely to push through. The way I see it, there just isn't enough depth and talent to push Canada and the United States off the Gold and Silver Medal podiums, and Finland and Sweden have given Russia all kinds of problems in recent Olympics that included NHL players.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
But the downside is that the two biggest stars, Ovechkin and Malkin, will be 36 and 35, respectively. Scientists tell us that testosterone peaks in males at age 24-26, then begins to decline steadily every year after, and both are already beginning to show signs of slowing up. Kucherov and Panarin are both very skilled offensive players, but they are little guys who will be unlikely to push through.

That sounds ridiculous to me. NHL teams try to stop Kucherov and Panarin with everything they have, and they just can't stop them. If their size was such a detriment they would have been stoppable by now. They have been better than OV and Malkin for years now.

Reactions: NatusVincere

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
I think Russia is a gold medal contender if the coaches act smart and create at least one special C/W combo like Malkin-Kucherov, rather than be foolish and try to ice Malkin-Ovechkin.

The upgrades at D and G are significant, which gives them a fighting chance against anyone, they just need to not shoot themselves in the foot (like their coaches seem to frequently do).

Reactions: Wings4Life

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
That sounds ridiculous to me. NHL teams try to stop Kucherov and Panarin with everything they have, and they just can't stop them. If their size was such a detriment they would have been stoppable by now. They have been better than OV and Malkin for years now.

In my post, I gave credit to Kucherov and Panarin for being brilliant offensive talents, but by themselves, they aren't enough to run over Canada, the USA, and Sweden. I hope I am wrong, but I don't see enough depth on the overall roster to take the Gold Medal. Ovechkin and Malkin have never been effective in previous Olympics, so why would they dominate now in the waning years of their career? The defense is better, but I don't know anyone who could credibly argue that they will be the dominant defense in Beijing! They will have the best goaltender in Vasilevsky, but their most glaring deficiency in the past has been their lack of fight and desire. They played as if they were sleepwalking in Vancouver and Sochi, and it is almost certain that whoever ends up as coach will be from the KHL, and he will have a hard time motivating all the NHL stars. The blend of KHL and NHL has worked miserably over the years, and I see no real reason to believe that will change in Beijing.

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
Any chance Michkov gets a spot if his hot start continues? There is precedence Ovechkin was taken to the World Cup at 16/17 if I remember correctly… Russia is deep at wing but he could have an inside track with Bragin

seriously? you are not remembering correctly. He was 18 years old to 2004. and turned 19 shortly after the tournament concluded. and if you can't remember his age at the tournament, I guess you also don't remember that he wasn't much of an impact player at that particular tournament at 18/19 years old.

but yes, please bring the 16 year old to the tournament. he'll be 17 in Feb. old enough.

Last edited:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Any chance Michkov gets a spot if his hot start continues? There is precedence Ovechkin was taken to the World Cup at 16/17 if I remember correctly… Russia is deep at wing but he could have an inside track with Bragin

Have you seen Russia's winger depth?

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I think Russia is a gold medal contender if the coaches act smart and create at least one special C/W combo like Malkin-Kucherov, rather than be foolish and try to ice Malkin-Ovechkin.

The upgrades at D and G are significant, which gives them a fighting chance against anyone, they just need to not shoot themselves in the foot (like their coaches seem to frequently do).
Agree.

Russia cannot be underestimated as the players try and win one for the Gipper (Ovi/Gino). Then there is the other worldly goaltending.

I see Canada and the U.S. on opposite sides of the draw...

* Whomever gets Finland or Sweden in the semis advances.
* Whomever gets Russia in the semis ends up playing for Bronze.

I predict either a :

* Canada / Russia GMG or
* U.S./ Russia GMG

If Eichel is 100%, I lean towards the latter - Canada is due for a loss.

Last edited:

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Agree.

Russia cannot be underestimated as the players try and win one for the Gipper (Ovi/Gino). Then there is the other worldly goaltending.

I see Canada and the U.S. on opposite sides of the draw...

* Whomever gets Finland in the semis advances.
* Whomever gets Russia in the semis ends up playing for Bronze.

I predict either a :

* Canada / Russia GMG or
* U.S./ Russia GMG

If Eichel is 100%, I lean towards the latter - Canada is due for a loss.

You appear to be the only one predicting a USA-Russia Gold Medal Game. Very interesting call!

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
I'll take your word for it. I definitely had a misconception about Shipachyov then.

Maybe we'll see

Malkin
Shipachyov
Namestnikov (edit: scratch that make it Barbashev)
Voronkov

It is very different how Russia handles centers. A significant portion of Canadian wingers in the NHL started as centers. So it would be unfathomable that they ever run out of centers, even if the guys who customarily play center in the NHL weren't available.
In case you were wondering Shipachyov started the season with 8pts(6g2a) in 3GP. He is by a country mile and another three yards the best player in the league right now.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
You appear to be the only one predicting a USA-Russia Gold Medal Game. Very interesting call!
It could just as easily be Canada/Russia or Canada/USA in the GMG.

I just think Ovi's/Gino's last kick at the can will be a huge motivation and Russia's goaltending is spectacular. Add it up and Russia is my dark horse to, at a minimum, get to the GMG.

Could I see Canada losing to Russia 2-1 in the semi's? I sure could.

Then people will say, "I can't believe THAT team was held to one goal - just like in 1998".

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
It could just as easily be Canada/Russia or Canada/USA in the GMG.

I just think Ovi's/Gino's last kick at the can will be a huge motivation and Russia's goaltending is spectacular. Add it up and Russia is my dark horse to, at a minimum, get to the GMG.

Could I see Canada losing to Russia 2-1 in the semi's? I sure could.

Then people will say, "I can't believe THAT team was held to one goal - just like in 1998".

I would certainly raise a glass to toast a 2-1 Russian victory over Canada in the GMG, but I'm not holding my breath over it. Looking at it the way you do, any one of six (6) teams - Canada, the USA, Sweden, Finland, Russia and the Czechs have a "theoretical" chance to win Gold. Does that mean that it will be a manic, frenzied six-team struggle to emerge on top? Not at all! None of the European teams pose a credible threat to win Gold in my opinion, because they lack the depth to put four quality lines and defensive pairings on the ice. For a variety of reasons, their hockey programs are too small to compete for hockey supremacy.

You mention Russian "motivation" to send the two old guys out with a Gold Medal, but in my opinion, by far the most motivated team in the tournament will be Canada. Literally the entire nation of Canada, 36 million people, will be focused only on whether Canada can successfully retain the mantle of hockey supremacy. Nothing other than Gold will be satisfactory! So it is unlikely that you will see Connor McDavid sloughing it off and playing lazy, mediocre hockey in China. On the other hand, the team that is least likely, in my opinion, to scratch and fight for Gold is Russia, at least based on 2010 and 2014 Olympic models. These are guys who play hockey in foreign countries to earn money, thrown together with a lesser caste of players who play in the domestic league. It is like the lords of the manor thrown into the same locker room with the smelly peasants! The chemistry doesn't work. Also, coaching is likely to be inferior. So I would love to dream, but I won't hold my breath!

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I would certainly raise a glass to toast a 2-1 Russian victory over Canada in the GMG, but I'm not holding my breath over it. Looking at it the way you do, any one of six (6) teams - Canada, the USA, Sweden, Finland, Russia and the Czechs have a "theoretical" chance to win Gold. Does that mean that it will be a manic, frenzied six-team struggle to emerge on top? Not at all! None of the European teams pose a credible threat to win Gold in my opinion, because they lack the depth to put four quality lines and defensive pairings on the ice. For a variety of reasons, their hockey programs are too small to compete for hockey supremacy.

You mention Russian "motivation" to send the two old guys out with a Gold Medal, but in my opinion, by far the most motivated team in the tournament will be Canada. Literally the entire nation of Canada, 36 million people, will be focused only on whether Canada can successfully retain the mantle of hockey supremacy. Nothing other than Gold will be satisfactory! So it is unlikely that you will see Connor McDavid sloughing it off and playing lazy, mediocre hockey in China. On the other hand, the team that is least likely, in my opinion, to scratch and fight for Gold is Russia, at least based on 2010 and 2014 Olympic models. These are guys who play hockey in foreign countries to earn money, thrown together with a lesser caste of players who play in the domestic league. It is like the lords of the manor thrown into the same locker room with the smelly peasants! The chemistry doesn't work. Also, coaching is likely to be inferior. So I would love to dream, but I won't hold my breath!
Fair enough. You know your players better than I do.

I just think Russia has underperformed at Best on Best for so long, they are due. Canada is also due for a disappointment.

Of course, I hope I am wrong on the latter.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Fair enough. You know your players better than I do.

I just think Russia has underperformed at Best on Best for so long, they are due. Canada is also due for a disappointment.

Of course, I hope I am wrong on the latter.
If Canada wins.. their best on best record will be spectacular for the 2010's

3 best on best Olympics in a row and the gimmick World Cup

Amazingly, after that, I can almost picture the HF articles talking about how 'insert country' is better than Canada.lol

I'm not sure why they are due for a disapointment though. All the pieces are there.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
If Canada wins.. their best on best record will be spectacular for the 2010's

3 best on best Olympics in a row and the gimmick World Cup

Amazingly, after that, I can almost picture the HF articles talking about how 'insert country' is better than Canada.lol

I'm not sure why they are due for a disapointment though. All the pieces are there.
Just the law of averages. We have to lose eventually. Plus, all the pieces were there in 1998 and those <bleeping> Czechs ruined everything. ;)

But, I agree, it's a pretty darn good team.

My worries with other teams are :

Russia : Goaltending and winning one for the Gipper.

U.S. : Solid team - if Eichel is out, or not 100%, that makes a huge difference.

Fins : Always tough. They are due to take the final step.

Sweden : Never easy.

But, yeah, on paper, Canada looks terrific.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Just the law of averages. We have to lose eventually. Plus, all the pieces were there in 1998 and those <bleeping> Czechs ruined everything. ;)

But, I agree, it's a pretty darn good team.

My worries with other teams are :

Russia : Goaltending and winning one for the Gipper.

U.S. : Solid team - if Eichel is out, or not 100%, that makes a huge difference.

Fins : Always tough. They are due to take the final step.

Sweden : Never easy.

But, yeah, on paper, Canada looks terrific.
Agree on all of it. FTR.. Czechs had the best goalie and forward in the world at that time! Based on the hardware being handed out anyways. That's where it gets crazy... get a nation that fights like hell and scores on a counter chance and you can lose. Latvia almost did it to Canada with Elvis at a best on best. Swiss have done it a few times now as well.

Definitely agree on why the other 4 could win. I'd add that this is the first time the Finn's can get their new high octance generation altogether... they could be dynamite!

Russia and the goalies is pretty terrifying. Very easy to picture Vas standing on his head and any number of their game breakers scoring a goal or 2.

US, on paper, is damn even at every position. Their D might even be better... in either case, damn close and Makar might explode by Xmas.

Swedes are just awesome in every spot.. from goalie out. Plus they create D as good as US and Canada. Classic Brian Burke team.. built from the net out.

This better happen!

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Agree on all of it. FTR.. Czechs had the best goalie and forward in the world at that time! Based on the hardware being handed out anyways. That's where it gets crazy... get a nation that fights like hell and scores on a counter chance and you can lose. Latvia almost did it to Canada with Elvis at a best on best. Swiss have done it a few times now as well.

Definitely agree on why the other 4 could win. I'd add that this is the first time the Finn's can get their new high octance generation altogether... they could be dynamite!

Russia and the goalies is pretty terrifying. Very easy to picture Vas standing on his head and any number of their game breakers scoring a goal or 2.

US, on paper, is damn even at every position. Their D might even be better... in either case, damn close and Makar might explode by Xmas.

Swedes are just awesome in every spot.. from goalie out. Plus they create D as good as US and Canada. Classic Brian Burke team.. built from the net out.

This better happen!
I'm predicting a U.S. - Russia GMG with the U.S. winning.

But, again, if Eichel is out (or hurt) all of a sudden the American center looks weak from line 2 back. That's never good.

Russia, as always, is a box of chocolates, but if the team can rally around O.V. and Gino's last kick at the can, with their goaltending, why not?

Still, if you had to bet your last $100, Canada looks pretty awesome. How the heck to you stop a team that can roll those 4 lines?

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I'm predicting a U.S. - Russia GMG with the U.S. winning.

But, again, if Eichel is out (or hurt) all of a sudden the American center looks weak from line 2 back. That's never good.

Russia, as always, is a box of chocolates, but if the team can rally around O.V. and Gino's last kick at the can, with their goaltending, why not?

Still, if you had to bet your last $100, Canada looks pretty awesome. How the heck to you stop a team that can roll those 4 lines?
I see it something like this... chance of Gold
Canada 25 %
Russia 18.75%
Finland 18.75%
US 18.75%
Sweden 18.75%

Russia is offset a little by probably no Panarin and Kuzy. Still, they have a lot of gamebreakers skating around.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad