Team Rankings: Deep, skilled prospect pool puts Tampa Bay Lightning in top spot

HF Article

Nov 16, 2005

Hockey's Future presents the top grouping of the Fall NHL Team Rankings. The staff's ranking of each NHL team's system is based on the strength of the entire prospect pool. For reference, just the top five prospects are listed. To be eligible, a prospect must meet HF's prospect criteria. The rankings are done twice a year, with this ranking meant to represent the state of the prospect pools in the early stages of the 2013-14 season.

The lockout-shortened 2012-13 season left a number of established NHL players entering the 2013-14 season with 15-20 games left to meet the 65-game threshold.… read more

More...

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Chicago is way too high, imo. Move them to #16-20 and move the teams just behind them up by one.

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
Seems right though I'm not sure you can say the Wings goaltending is weakness. It may not be a strength but we have an elite goaltending prospect an average to above average one & an average to below average one. Not Earth shattering but I don't think it's a weakness at all, also how many good goalie prospects do you really need?

Butchered

I'm with Kuch
Apr 30, 2004
And Brett Connolly isn't even mentioned in the little write up. Speaks to the depth we have in the organization right now.

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
How is Silfverberg listed as Anaheim's #1 prospect, given his NHL season, and Zibanejad isn't listed under Ottawa? Maybe I'm missing a part of the criteria here but I don't think so.

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
While being an Oilers fan, my girlfriend is a Rangers fan so I follow them closely. The Rangers farm being ranked 27th is a disgrace. HF constantly only looks at offense and they always vastly overrate Russian prospects who are soft and play no defense.

HF didn't even make mention of Allen who the Rangers signed from college and is an outstanding defenseman prospect. What is amusing is that the Rangers keep producing quality young players every year and these other organizations near the top continue to produce barely anything for young players. Yet, HF always ranks them high. Having the Red Wings 9th is a joke. I would take Oscar Lindberg over Anthony Mantha, Gustav Nyquist, Petr Mrazek, Tomas Tatar, and Calle Jarnkrok any day of the week.

:laugh:

That's fine you can take your potential middle 6 winger over 2 top 9 forwards who both have top 6 upside, in Nyquist's case he could have top line, you can take him over the consensus top 5 goalie prospect & you can take him over the guy that is leading the entire CHL in scoring & is close to average 3 points per game. You can also continue to show your ignorance towards other teams prospects, that's cool too.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
I personally think Toronto should be pretty easily in the top 20. Not that their prospect pool is amazing, but it seems a lot better than the teams above them IMO. I also think Vancouver should be higher, they added two great prospects last year in Horvat + Shinkaruk that should definitely get them mentioned around the 20 mark.

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
I personally think Toronto should be pretty easily in the top 20. Not that their prospect pool is amazing, but it seems a lot better than the teams above them IMO. I also think Vancouver should be higher, they added two great prospects last year in Horvat + Shinkaruk that should definitely get them mentioned around the 20 mark.
Lol Who specifically do you feel Toronto should be ahead of?
I persnally felt like they were too high, if anything.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
I'll be honest I laughed a little when Shinkaruk wasnt in the Canucks top 5 prospects.

MetalGodAOD*

While being an Oilers fan, my girlfriend is a Rangers fan so I follow them closely. The Rangers farm being ranked 27th is a disgrace. HF constantly only looks at offense and they always vastly overrate Russian prospects who are soft and play no defense.

HF didn't even make mention of Allen who the Rangers signed from college and is an outstanding defenseman prospect. What is amusing is that the Rangers keep producing quality young players every year and these other organizations near the top continue to produce barely anything for young players. Yet, HF always ranks them high. Having the Red Wings 9th is a joke. I would take Oscar Lindberg over Anthony Mantha, Gustav Nyquist, Petr Mrazek, Tomas Tatar, and Calle Jarnkrok any day of the week.

Rangers are exactly where they should be. Graduations happen, and HF rarely ranks longshot bottom 6/bottom pair prospects that high.

TylerSVT*

Dark times ahead of Philly and Vancouver.

At least they have Horvat and Shinkaruk otherwise that future would look downright terrible.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013

At least they have Horvat and Shinkaruk otherwise that future would look downright terrible.

Cassels and Subban are pretty solid 3rd and 4th round pickups for them. Apart from that though yeah, not very impressive.

Love

Feb 29, 2012

When will this happen exactly? Edler is locked up for the next 5 years, Garrison for the next 4 and Hamhuis/Bieksa until 2017 with Tanev/Stanton already with the big club and Corrado is already NHL calibre but because of the great depth he is in the AHL.

For forwards the Sedins will be here until 2019 and havent shown signs of slowing down, Kassian is hitting his stride and Kesler is locked up until 2016.

Horvat could easily be ready as early as next season and the same could be said for Jensen and Gaunce. Shinkaruk could be another year after them.

Why do fans look only at a teams prospect pool and decide they are in for, "dark times"?

lucaseider

Apr 15, 2006
mactown

Ya...that shows how much you know about them...which is obviously nothing.

Eternalize

Nov 8, 2013
Sweden
When will this happen exactly? Edler is locked up for the next 5 years, Garrison for the next 4 and Hamhuis/Bieksa until 2017 with Tanev/Stanton already with the big club and Corrado is already NHL calibre but because of the great depth he is in the AHL.

For forwards the Sedins will be here until 2019 and havent shown signs of slowing down, Kassian is hitting his stride and Kesler is locked up until 2016.

Horvat could easily be ready as early as next season and the same could be said for Jensen and Gaunce. Shinkaruk could be another year after them.

Why do fans look only at a teams prospect pool and decide they are in for, "dark times"?
Agree, i wouldn't even be a little worried. Also, 2013 3rd rounder Cole Cassels right now one of the OHL's top scorers. And the kid isn't even mentioned.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Strange how the Gallys were counted as graduated but a guy like Silfverberg is not. They've got what 3-4 games played on him?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad