Team Rankings: Deep, skilled prospect pool puts Tampa Bay Lightning in top spot

RomersWorld*

While being an Oilers fan, my girlfriend is a Rangers fan so I follow them closely. The Rangers farm being ranked 27th is a disgrace. HF constantly only looks at offense and they always vastly overrate Russian prospects who are soft and play no defense.

HF didn't even make mention of Allen who the Rangers signed from college and is an outstanding defenseman prospect. What is amusing is that the Rangers keep producing quality young players every year and these other organizations near the top continue to produce barely anything for young players. Yet, HF always ranks them high. Having the Red Wings 9th is a joke. I would take Oscar Lindberg over Anthony Mantha, Gustav Nyquist, Petr Mrazek, Tomas Tatar, and Calle Jarnkrok any day of the week.

Don't agree with a lot of what you said but it is kind of funny that Calle Jarnkrok was thought of as the next Zetterberg, potential top 6 stud center and Wings' #1 prospect when a guy like Oscar Lindberg was never talked about or highly thought of yet...

Same age, same size, same position, ect...

Oscar Lindberg
12-13(SEL): 55 GP, 17 goals, 25 assists, 42 points
12-13(SEL, playoffs): 13 GP, 4 goals, 8 assists, 12 points
13-14(AHL): 12 GP, 2 goals, 6 assists, 8 points

Calle Jarnkrok
12-13(SEL): 53 GP, 13 goals, 29 assists, 42 points
12-13(SEL, playoffs): 4 GP, 0 goals, 0 assists, 0 points
12-13(AHL): 9 GP, 0 goals, 3 assists, 3 points
13-14(AHL): 12 GP, 3 goals, 3 assists, 6 points

Benttheknee

Jun 18, 2005
Ottawa
Ahh, it is as I suspected, Ottawa had a few graduations including Zibanejad, Wiercioch and Conacher.

Was surprised to see Boroweicki at 5th as he was listed as #13 in the fall list.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
When will this happen exactly? Edler is locked up for the next 5 years, Garrison for the next 4 and Hamhuis/Bieksa until 2017 with Tanev/Stanton already with the big club and Corrado is already NHL calibre but because of the great depth he is in the AHL.

For forwards the Sedins will be here until 2019 and havent shown signs of slowing down, Kassian is hitting his stride and Kesler is locked up until 2016.

Horvat could easily be ready as early as next season and the same could be said for Jensen and Gaunce. Shinkaruk could be another year after them.

Why do fans look only at a teams prospect pool and decide they are in for, "dark times"?

Calgary fan, wants us to go through the same thing they have endured/are enduring.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
They actually used the Sabres top 5 that was eviscerated by the fans already and should have been changed. Lazy.

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
Don't agree with a lot of what you said but it is kind of funny that Calle Jarnkrok was thought of as the next Zetterberg, potential top 6 stud center and Wings' #1 prospect when a guy like Oscar Lindberg was never talked about or highly thought of yet...

Same age, same size, same position, ect...

Oscar Lindberg
12-13(SEL): 55 GP, 17 goals, 25 assists, 42 points
12-13(SEL, playoffs): 13 GP, 4 goals, 8 assists, 12 points
13-14(AHL): 12 GP, 2 goals, 6 assists, 8 points

Calle Jarnkrok
12-13(SEL): 53 GP, 13 goals, 29 assists, 42 points
12-13(SEL, playoffs): 4 GP, 0 goals, 0 assists, 0 points
12-13(AHL): 9 GP, 0 goals, 3 assists, 3 points
13-14(AHL): 12 GP, 3 goals, 3 assists, 6 points

Have a look at where each player ranked on their team in scoring and you'll see why Jarnkrok was more hyped. ;)

As it always is when you enter the thread Romers we Wings fans have to remind you that Jarnkrok was compared to Zetterberg in style & not potential. Jarnkrok's potential has always been that of a #2C but he does have a chance to develop into a #1C.

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
What Chicago has is depth; they've been able to stash their prospects in the juniors and AHL without having to rush them. Most teams don't have the luxury of waiting for their top picks to develop because they need results now if they have any thoughts of making the playoffs. Even excluding Saad, the Hawks have only one prospect in their top 12 that wasn't picked in the first two rounds, and that guy won a Hobey Baker.

For what its worth, I think that people may have gotten a little carried away with Teravainen's strong preseason, but they're still in the ballpark of #10.

Wingsfan2965*

Dec 30, 2011
Chicago and Detroit's farms are very similar. They don't have 4 or 5 blue chip prospects like the "Top" systems do, but their depth is nearly unmatched.

Although I'd consider Mantha/Mrazek/Teravainen pretty blue-chip. Maybe even Sproul.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I'm curious as to why you think the Blackhawks are too high?

I just think that the teams a few places after have better prospects. Personally, I'd have them as #17. Still, that whole group from 10-20 is pretty close. I'd do a little re-arranging of the rest of the list, but it's generally alright. Perhaps it's the depth that got Chicago so high, but I value 4-5 higher end prospects more than 5-10 good prospects.

ChiTownCode

Natural Perm
Aug 13, 2013
Chicago
I just think that the teams a few places after have better prospects. Personally, I'd have them as #17. Still, that whole group from 10-20 is pretty close. I'd do a little re-arranging of the rest of the list, but it's generally alright.

Fair enough, I don't really mind either way. Prospects will do as Prospects will do considering they have the ability to make us look stupid or like a genius depending on what they do at the big level.

on a side note I think the Hawks will drop out of the top 15 at the deadline because I'm convinced they might try to move one of our two best prospects to get a second line center. Rumor was the Hawks were looking at Ott 3 days ago but Bowman wants more an impact player but it could all be baseless speculation.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Fair enough, I don't really mind either way. Prospects will do as Prospects will do considering they have the ability to make us look stupid or like a genius depending on what they do at the big level.

on a side note I think the Hawks will drop out of the top 15 at the deadline because I'm convinced they might try to move one of our two best prospects to get a second line center. Rumor was the Hawks were looking at Ott 3 days ago but Bowman wants more an impact player but it could all be baseless speculation.

That's certainly possible. We can agree to disagree here, and I'm sure many others will disagree with me, but that won't change my opinion. :)

I think you guys could do better than Ott for a second line centre, but then again, I don't know if you really NEED a great 2nd line centre.

ChiTownCode

Natural Perm
Aug 13, 2013
Chicago
That's certainly possible. We can agree to disagree here, and I'm sure many others will disagree with me, but that won't change my opinion. :)

I think you guys could do better than Ott for a second line centre, but then again, I don't know if you really NEED a great 2nd line centre.

Yeah, agree to disagree. You shouldn't change your opinion for anyone.

Well I'm not really sure we need a 2nd line center period but I think Hawks fans just want one so everyone stops talking about it. :laugh:

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
Wow, for Buffalo.......
they are hands down #1 in prospects.
Not mentioned.....
Ullmark, goalie, top rate, check his amazing run.
Baptiste, Hurley, Compher, McNabb, McCabe, and the list goes on.

Buffalo's current prospect pool, as of this date, is the most productive across the board, hands down. A shame recognition is not being given where it's due.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
The Canucks add two 1st rounders to their group and only move up three spots against the 2012/2013 spring rankings. Right...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->