Olympics: Team Korea in 2018 Olympics

Pajicz

Mar 22, 2011
...And it's time for another update of Korea's tough journey towards Olympic hockey glory.

Halla Group from Korea bought majority of Finnish Mestis team K-Vantaa last spring, and cleared all their debts. So far there hasn't been a huge Korean invasion on their roster, which usually has been filled with loan players from their major league affiliate Jokerit.

One of the three Korean forwards in K-Vantaa's roster is a new face to this thread, 1991-born Jin Hui Ahn. He has previously only played in Korea, and captained Korea University team last season. The other two have already became regulars here, as Ji Min Kim and Jung Ahn have also signed contracts with K-Vantaa. Ahn played five games in Asia League last year, and had staggering 53 penalty minutes, and his then and current teammate Kim had 16 minutes in same amount of games. They both also had two assists and +2 plus-minus rating.

(Thanks to Finnish Hockey Federation f***ing up their system update, there's no access to game statistics or lineups in Mestis. Therefore I do not know what's the most recent situation with these guys.)

And in North America, Dong-Hyun Seo moved to NA3HL team North Iowa Bulls. He previously played in Shattuck St. Mary's hockey program. Obviously not the best career move, but it's not "Game Over" yet either.

v-man

Apr 19, 2006
Toronto
www.ivories.ca
No, if they have not played 2 seasons in Korea (and are dual nationals), they're not eligible.

He would then have to play 4 years, not 2.

Two years is for players who have not played internationally before.

You're right, but in instances where the player's domestic championship is of a considerably lower quality, the IIHF has been known to give exceptions if the player has an opportunity to play in an elite league. This has mostly been done for women's hockey to date, but I don't think there would be any question as to them using such exemptions for South Korea if they do in fact choose to field a team at the Olympics.

jekoh

Jun 8, 2004
You're right, but in instances where the player's domestic championship is of a considerably lower quality, the IIHF has been known to give exceptions if the player has an opportunity to play in an elite league. This has mostly been done for women's hockey to date, but I don't think there would be any question as to them using such exemptions for South Korea if they do in fact choose to field a team at the Olympics.
The IIHF has banned a country like Armenia from international play for repeatedly icing ineligible players. I think it's pretty obvious they're not going to allow South Korea to do the same.

If a player does not want to spend 2 seasons in a country because the championship there (which you erroneously call his domestic championship) is allegedly "of a considerably lower quality", then he has no place in the national team of that country. I have no idea why they would even want to select him, but even if they do, that's not what national teams are about.

Pajicz

Mar 22, 2011
Two more Korean players have joined the K-Vantaa team in Finland...

Sang-Hoon Shin is a 1993-born, smallish forward. But on the contrary, he's a good skater and had an impressive Mestis debut against Hokki. The second player, defenseman Won-Jun Kim actually returns to Finland, having played top level junior hockey here between 2006 and 2011 (also featured on the OP). In overall, the fans aren't against the Koreans at all in Vantaa, as they've shown some signs that they can contribute on this level.

Also, I don't know if I have mentioned it, but Ki Hoon Han is playing in Crocodiles Hamburg, which plays in Germany's third tier league. Previously he has played for Danville Dashers (located in Danville, IL) in FHL.

Here we/I have mostly concentrated on Korean players playing abroad, but here are the four Koreans in top 10 in points scored from the Asian League 2013-14 season so far;

4th: Woo-Sang Park, Sangmu - 13, 7+10=17, +7, 10 PIM
T-7th: Dong Hwan Song, High1 - 9, 4+11=15, +12, 4 PIM
T-9th: Brock Radunske, Anyang Halla - 9, 6+7=13, +8, 16 PIM
T-9th: Min Ho Cho, Sangmu - 12, 5+8=13, 0, 10 PIM

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom
I'm afraid that you're giving them a little too much value. The best players would be hard pressed to make an ECHL team. To think that they would make an impact on one would be absurd.

I meant that for an Asia League team to consider signing him, as an import, he would have to be that good. Of course he has to play in that league first before he can represent Korea. Most of the Canadian and American players in the Asia League have played a significant number of games in the AHL.

Pajicz

Mar 22, 2011
A bit early, but Korea will be hosting the 2014 IIHF World Championship Division I-A tournament in Goyang, just north of Seoul. The city is home to the Asia League team High1, and games will be played in their arena (capacity 3,400). Tournament will be running from 04/20/2014 through 04/26/2014.

Participating teams:

Austria
Slovenia
Hungary
Japan
South Korea
Ukraine

The top-two ranked teams will be promoted to the 2015 IIHF Ice Hockey World Championship in Czech Republic, and the last placed team will be relegated to Division I-B for 2015. Obviously South Korea won't be fighting for promotion, but they can certainly give at least Ukraine and Japan a run for their money. Last year Korea won Hungary after shootout and Great Britain, and stayed in the 2nd tier. Hopefully their home advantage will be a big factor.

More about the tournament: Going Goyang - IIHF.com

JoeCool16

Sep 9, 2011
Vancouver
A bit early, but Korea will be hosting the 2014 IIHF World Championship Division I-A tournament in Goyang, just north of Seoul. The city is home to the Asia League team High1, and games will be played in their arena (capacity 3,400). Tournament will be running from 04/20/2014 through 04/26/2014.

Participating teams:

Austria
Slovenia
Hungary
Japan
South Korea
Ukraine

The top-two ranked teams will be promoted to the 2015 IIHF Ice Hockey World Championship in Czech Republic, and the last placed team will be relegated to Division I-B for 2015. Obviously South Korea won't be fighting for promotion, but they can certainly give at least Ukraine and Japan a run for their money. Last year Korea won Hungary after shootout and Great Britain, and stayed in the 2nd tier. Hopefully their home advantage will be a big factor.

More about the tournament: Going Goyang - IIHF.com
Tough cycle for hopefuls, it's pretty clear it'll be Austria and Slovenia going up. The fight for the rest is pretty much not to be relegated, and then hope to grab one of the spots next year. If Korea can stick around and continue to develop, they could make it in next year, with a little luck.

Pajicz

Mar 22, 2011
Some wild rumors in Finnish media about our own version of "Don Cherry", Juhani "Tami" Tamminen signing a long-term deal to become South Korea's new head coach... but rumors are rumors. We'll see what happens.

Here's my pre-Sochi prediction for Korea's 2018 olympic team... but of course anything can happen in over four years:

GOALTENDERS:
Sung Je Park (1988) - Sangmu (Asia League)
Kweon Young Kim (1995) - Sun Duck HS (KOR)
Yeon Seung Lee (1995) - Kyung Bok HS (KOR)

DEFENSEMEN:
Won Jun Kim (1991) - K-Vantaa (FIN2)
Hyeong Cheol Song (1996) - Kyungsung HS (KOR)
Woo Young Kim (1988) - Anyang Halla (Asia League)
Geon Woo Kim (1995) - Yonsei Univ. (KOR)
Jae Guy Lee (1993) - Korea Univ. (KOR)
Don Ku Lee (1988) - Sangmu (Asia League)
Hyeok Kim (1987) - High1 (Asia League)

FORWARDS:
Ji Min Kim (1992) - K-Vantaa (FIN2)
Jung Ahn (1993) - K-Vantaa (FIN2)
Sang Hoon Shin (1993) - K-Vantaa (FIN2)
Jin Hui Ahn (1991) - K-Vantaa (FIN2)
Min Ho Cho (1987) - Sangmu (Asia League)
Woo Sang Park (1985) - Sangmu (Asia League)
Brock Radunske (1983) - Anyang Halla (Asia League)
Chong Hyun Lee (1996) - Sun Duck HS (KOR)
Dong Hyun Seo (1994) - North Iowa Bulls (NA3HL)
Ki Sung Kim (1985) - Sangmu (Asia League)
Woo Je Sung (1992) - Anyang Halla (Asia League)
Sang Wook Kim (1988) - Anyang Halla (Asia League)
Yeong Jun Seo (1995) - Posung (KOR)

Feb 7, 2012
Seattle
How many more generations until we have Koreans with mixed ethnic heritage with dual citizenship grown up in the States/Canada and going back to play for Korea (especially if National Canadian/American teams are way too stacked)

Pajicz

Mar 22, 2011
How many more generations until we have Koreans with mixed ethnic heritage with dual citizenship grown up in the States/Canada and going back to play for Korea (especially if National Canadian/American teams are way too stacked)

I think it will be more likely to happen when/if Korea gets a KHL team. Now only option for players going there is the Asia League, where the level of play isn't that high and the paychecks are small.

Pajicz

Mar 22, 2011
Any news on how the South Koreans on Kiekko-Vantaa are doing? It's hard to find any stats for the team.

Sang Hoon Shin has scored three goals so far... That's basically all I can offer you for now. Mestis stats are still unavailable because of the system update... But in overall, most of them don't really seem to be out of their depth, which obviously is a good sign.

A friend of mine lives in Vantaa, I'll try to ask him if he has better knowledge.

obskyr

Apr 29, 2013
Karelia

Is there a possibility to naturalize Russian and Kazakhstani Koreans that may appear in the KHL/VHL system in the future? Oleg Li is the only one so far, but with junior hockey growing in our countries there may be more of them to come.

JoeCool16

Sep 9, 2011
Vancouver
Is there a possibility to naturalize Russian and Kazakhstani Koreans that may appear in the KHL/VHL system in the future? Oleg Li is the only one so far, but with junior hockey growing in our countries there may be more of them to come.

He's not Korean though, he's Russian. I think he'd have to go the normal route and live in South Korea for 5 years or so, work there and apply for citizenship. That wouldn't be compatible with playing in the KHL/VHL, so I don't see how it'd work unless there's some loophole in Korea where you can have immediate status if you have Korean parents, or similar.

I'd never heard of him and looked him up, he doesn't look like he's played nationally for Russia. That DOES leave the door open should he ever consider that route!

Ghericurl

Feb 12, 2014
...And it's time for another update of Korea's tough journey towards Olympic hockey glory.

Halla Group from Korea bought majority of Finnish Mestis team K-Vantaa last spring, and cleared all their debts. So far there hasn't been a huge Korean invasion on their roster, which usually has been filled with loan players from their major league affiliate Jokerit.

One of the three Korean forwards in K-Vantaa's roster is a new face to this thread, 1991-born Jin Hui Ahn. He has previously only played in Korea, and captained Korea University team last season. The other two have already became regulars here, as Ji Min Kim and Jung Ahn have also signed contracts with K-Vantaa. Ahn played five games in Asia League last year, and had staggering 53 penalty minutes, and his then and current teammate Kim had 16 minutes in same amount of games. They both also had two assists and +2 plus-minus rating.

(Thanks to Finnish Hockey Federation ****ing up their system update, there's no access to game statistics or lineups in Mestis. Therefore I do not know what's the most recent situation with these guys.)

And in North America, Dong-Hyun Seo moved to NA3HL team North Iowa Bulls. He previously played in Shattuck St. Mary's hockey program. Obviously not the best career move, but it's not "Game Over" yet either.

Kind of cool to me that Dong-Hyun Seo is included in this list. I was his billet parent for the short time he was here in North Iowa. He's now moved to play the Islanders Hockey Club in the USPHL Elite Team.

Pajicz

Mar 22, 2011
Korea will begin their tough quest in their home tournament tonight against Hungary. Here's the roster;

Goaltenders

1 PARK Sungje R 173/5'8'' 82/181 3 Aug 1988 Daemyung Sangmu
30 SON Hoseung L 180/5'11'' 78/172 23 Nov 1982 Anyang Halla

Defenders

2 LEE Don Ku L 180/5'11'' 95/209 7 Feb 1988 Daemyung Sangmu
5 YOUNG Bryan William L 186/6'1'' 86/190 6 Aug 1986 High1 Chuncheon
7 KIM Wooyoung R 183/6'0'' 83/183 17 Jun 1988 Anyang Halla
11 CHANG Jun-Il R 182/6'0'' 85/187 14 Jun 1985 High1 Chuncheon
14 KIM Yoonhwan R 176/5'9'' 85/187 24 Aug 1985 Daemyung Sangmu
17 OH Hyonho R 176/5'9'' 76/168 29 Oct 1986 Daemyung Sangmu
26 KIM Donghwan R 176/5'9'' 80/176 14 Feb 1984 High1 Chuncheon
27 KIM Hyunsoo L 178/5'10'' 80/176 9 Dec 1984 Daemyung Sangmu

Forwards

6 AHN Hyunmin R 176/5'9'' 77/170 27 Sep 1986 Daemyung Sangmu
8 KIM Won Jung R 180/5'11'' 83/183 18 Dec 1984 Daemyung Sangmu
9 PARK Woosang R 192/6'4'' 88/194 30 May 1985 Daemyung Sangmu
12 SHIN Sanghoon R 170/5'7'' 74/163 1 Aug 1993 Kiekko-Vantaa
13 KIM Hyung Joon L 172/5'8'' 69/152 27 Apr 1987 High1 Chuncheon
15 LEE Yongjun R 178/5'10'' 80/176 4 Feb 1985 Daemyung Sangmu
16 KIM Sangwook L 180/5'11'' 85/187 21 Apr 1988 Anyang Halla
18 CHO Minho R 175/5'9'' 83/183 4 Jan 1987 Daemyung Sangmu
19 KIM Kisung L 178/5'10'' 83/183 14 May 1985 Daemyung Sangmu
22 LEE Young Jun R 184/6'0'' 75/165 3 Jan 1991 Anyang Halla
23 SWIFT Michael Owen L 176/5'9'' 79/174 26 Mar 1987 High1 Chuncheon
25 RADUNSKE Brock L 196/6'5'' 95/209 5 Apr 1983 Anyang Halla

baronsforever

May 20, 2014
since the Koreans were relegated to I B, it seems there hopes of playing in the olympics are done. They have no chance of being ranked in the top 20 by the end of 2016, so there is no real chance that Fasel will give them the approval to play (unless they make it through the qualification tournaments of course).

Rekin

Feb 23, 2014
Warszawa
Better so, no sane person wants to see the NHL stars of Canada or Russia demolish South Korea in Olympic hockey.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
since the Koreans were relegated to I B, it seems there hopes of playing in the olympics are done. They have no chance of being ranked in the top 20 by the end of 2016, so there is no real chance that Fasel will give them the approval to play (unless they make it through the qualification tournaments of course).

Is there a rule about this? I didn't even realize it.

Tyler Myers

Feb 8, 2009
Sydney
Richard Park? in these cases i think inviting guys who are native korean and will not ever make American/Canadian teams would be mutually beneficial.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Richard Park played for the USA before, so he would have to play 4 years for a korean team to be able to play for them. Not possible anymore.

I don't know if there is a general rule, but I don't think so. Fasel said Korea would get a spot if they would be in the Top-18. If they are not there it just makes no sense.

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
Doesnt the host qualify automatically into all sports?

http://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20140425001090

No, for automatic qualification it is said 18th place. So probably SK need to light it up during the qualifier tournaments!

Wouldn't surprise me if the "18th" place could be discussed if Korea at least come close it. It is the right thing to at least push the South Koreans to be as good as possible.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad