Olympics: Team Korea in 2018 Olympics

Atren

Jun 29, 2011
Europe
What I fear most is huge scores to whomever happens to play them. It would greatly inflate those teams player points.

Hutz

Sep 7, 2007
They aren't eve signed on for Sochi yet. The NHL is bringing back the World Cup. Writing is on the wall.

Hope you're wrong, but I guess the Russians in the PA are pressuring for Sochi... don't believe there are any Koreans currently in the PA to apply similar pressure...

Not sure I'll still be in Korea by then, but I think it'd be great if they did... the 2002 World Cup did wonders for soccer in this country... having the world's best around could potentially grow the game here in a big way, especially if Korea could somehow string together a couple of wins (probably against 9-12 seeds).

It'll never be close to soccer or baseball, but could at least put hockey on the sports map here.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Hope you're wrong, but I guess the Russians in the PA are pressuring for Sochi... don't believe there are any Koreans currently in the PA to apply similar pressure...

Not sure I'll still be in Korea by then, but I think it'd be great if they did... the 2002 World Cup did wonders for soccer in this country... having the world's best around could potentially grow the game here in a big way, especially if Korea could somehow string together a couple of wins (probably against 9-12 seeds).

It'll never be close to soccer or baseball, but could at least put hockey on the sports map here.

I hope I'm wrong too. I worked in Korea during World Cup 2002 as well. Still have contacts over there.

I also took in the IIHF World Div II Group B Championships back in 2003. They were held at Mok-Dong Ice Rink. Korea beat out Serbia in the final. They also smoked Mexico 17-0.

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
Nope. He represented the United States in international play.

He can still join the Korean team. He would have to go and spend the next four years living in Korea and playing for one of their teams in the Asia League (and acquire Korean citizenship if he doesn't already have it). But Park is already 37, and I don't think he wants to spend that much time playing in an inferior league just to make an Olympic team at age 43.

jekoh

Jun 8, 2004
I should move to Korea and get my citizenship.

I could make their team and I would participate at the Olympics. :)
No you would not, there's no reason for them to select such a crappy player as yourself in their team.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
This is a big undertaking for Korea. Italy has more of a hockey pedigree than Korea and they had a tough time putting a competitive team on the ice although they did hold their own in 2006 - tying Germany in the round robin for their only point and having a few other tight games. They also have been a Div 1 yoyo team.

Japan 98 is not a good comparison as they had qualifying groups which Japan did not come close to coming through.

I am not sure there is a quick fix for the Koreans, I would love to see their game plan if they do plan to participate.

jekoh

Jun 8, 2004
Japan 98 is not a good comparison as they had qualifying groups which Japan did not come close to coming through.
Japan did not face the big teams but the ones they faced were ranked 8-12 so all three were certainly comparable to the kind of non top-7 teams Korea would face, and although Japan did not qualify they still drew with Belarus (who finished 7th) and were not outclassed in any of the other 2 games, they even then beat Austria for place 13.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Most of the players who will play for them will probably come from the WHC and WJC competition this year and the following years. They wouldn't trouble that much in the Olympics I'd guess though.

Pajicz

Mar 22, 2011
That guy would likely play Mestis or VHL by 2018... I'm not sold he can play in the KHL. However, if he does make the big league by 2018, he might become the Korean Gretzky just as Tony Hand was for UK.

Very off-topic, but just noticed that Tony Hand is still playing... 77 points in EPIHL at the age of 45, impressive. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->