WC: Team Germany 2019

Retroglyphs

Mar 23, 2018
Here's the starting line-up for the 1st match vs. Austria at 19:00 MET:

D5ArqGYXsAE8fSJ.jpg:large

Thrilled to see how the 2nd line combo with Kahún centering Bergmann & Bokk will work out! :popcorn:

Retroglyphs

Mar 23, 2018
First period is underway, and the German team creates a lot of pressure. Team Austria still playing without their top guys Konstantin Komarek and Dominic Zwerger. 2 huge chances for Kahún and another 2 big chances for Drai... among other things, a nice 2 on 1 - break for Michaelis and Draisaitl... excellent save by the austrian goalie Lukas Herzog, who's playing really well.

Draisaitl scoring the go-ahead goal now 1-0

Last edited:
Reactions: ebergeist

ebergeist

Apr 29, 2018
Finnland
Draisaitl scored twice, there was some good moments in the game but the end result counts. 2-3 defeat against Austria, which played without their two top guys.

Retroglyphs

Mar 23, 2018
Blimey! I hadn't expected that, but the Austrians had grit and great goaltending, and really stuck with it, while we combined beautifully, but blew too many top chances. :help:
The line combo with Kahún and Bokk didn't convince me yet, while I felt Wohlgemuth's 4th line with Noebels and Pföderl was okay.
Soon the DEL finals between Mannheim and Munich will be finished, and the team receives an injection of manpower (expecting up to 10 new players) including core defenders. ;)

Last edited:

Retroglyphs

Mar 23, 2018
In today's second encounter vs. Team Austria (who were still playing without Komarek/Zwerger), Team Germany took revenge for thursday's 2:3-loss in Regensburg, and won with a clear 5:1. Due to a strong performance from Dr. Drai's 1st line, who again had speedy winger Freddy Tiffels on his leftwing, while skillful powerforward Leo Pföderl manned the rightwing, and was replaced by nifty NHL-centre/wing Dominik Kahún during the second half of the match.

Leon Draisaitl
(3G+1A) scored some sick goals for the hat-trick, among other things a baseball-like 1st goal for the game winner, and a beautiful one-handed tip-in after a nice tic-tac-toe-combination with Kahún and Tiffels. Once again he showed great chemistry with his buddy Frederik Tiffels (2A) (you could almost call it blind understanding) who very much looked like he'll make the final roster. The same can be said about Dominik Kahún (3A), who looks like a very good fit for Drai's 1st PP-unit.

Kahún's linemates Lean Bergmann (1G+1A) and Marc Michaelis (1A) both had a good match as well. Leftwing Bergmann continued his impressive scoring streak, tallying his 6th goal in as many exhibition games, and it wouldn't surprise me, if he makes the final cut as well.

Other than that, we saw a convincing performance of the german 4th line around Gerrit Fauser, versatile LW/C Marcel Noebels and surprisingly strong David Elsner.
The only line which struggled to find chemistry was the newly formed third line with Stefan Loibl, Dominik Bokk and Fabio Pfohl at centre. Loibl had one good scene, when he was stopped on a breakaway by Austria's strong netminder David Kickert.

Given we haven't seen much from Loibl and Bokk during the last two matches, both will have to fear to not make the next cut, as we are now awaiting the arrival of the last wave of forwards from Mannheim and Munich (Markus Eisenschmid, Matthias Plachta, David Wolf, Patrick Hager, Yasin Ehliz, Frank Mauer).
It'd be a shame, if Bokk didn't make it. He possesses outstanding individual skills, and I still think he'd make a difference for our special teams. Crossing fingers that Söderholm gives him another look at Kahún's, Hager's or even Draisaitl's RW.

The defense saw some line shuffling while only core players Moritz Müller and Korbinian Holzer stayed together as a pair.
We witnessed a much better effort in terms of limiting Austria's chances, some good scenes from offensive defender Simon Sezemsky, who hit the post on the PP and Stephan Daschner. As I wrote before, the defense is the weakest part of this team, and we'll likely see coach Söderholm adding Yannik Seidenberg, Daryl Boyle, Moritz Seider, and probably Dennis Reul instead of Sinan Akdag, who it looks like is injured cause he didn't play the last few matches of the DEL finals.

In goal, Dustin Strahlmeier made good for his weaker performance vs. the Czechs. We'll have to see whether Söderholm decides to bring in one the oldies Danny aus den Birken and Dennis Endras, the latter being just named playoff MVP with 4 shutouts in 14 matches, a GAA of 1.57 and a SVS% of 92,5%, or whether he stays with Treutle/Niederberger/Strahlmeier as long as NHL reinforcements are possible. A lot will depend on continuing favourable developments in the NHL playoffs, as we are hoping for the Avs' and Isles' elimination.

Scoreboard
0-1 Haudum PP1 (Wolf, Rauchenwald)
1-1 Pföderl PP1 (Draisaitl, Kahún)
2-1 Draisaitl (Tiffels, M.Müller)
3-1 Draisaitl (Bergmann, Elsner)
4-1 Bergmann (Kahún, Michaelis)
5-1 Draisaitl (Kahún, Tiffels)

D5LMPhUW4AEsIhI.jpg

Last edited:

Retroglyphs

Mar 23, 2018
My guess regarding the final roster, as of today, only considering available players (minus Kühnhackl, Greiss and Grubauer):

FORWARDS
Tiffels-Draisaitl-Eisenschmid
Bergmann-Kahún-Pföderl
Ehliz-Hager-Michaelis
???-Fauser-???
Noebels-???

Fighting for the final two spots: Plachta, Mauer, D.Wolf, Bokk, Loibl, Pfohl, Elsner and Wohlgemuth. If Kühnhackl becomes available he has a guaranteed spot.

DEFENDERS
M.Müller-Holzer
Y.Seidenberg-???
J.Müller-???
???-Seider

Fighting for the final three spots: Boyle, Reul, Sezemsky, Daschner, Nowak, Schopper, Wagner.

GOALTENDERS
Treutle
Niederberger
Strahlmeier/Endras/aus den Birken

Naturally, any of our NHL-goalies Grubauer&Greiss becomes automatically nr.1 netminder, if available.

Last edited:

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Islanders down 0-2. I dont think they will turn it around. Kuchhackl and Greiss would be great adds. I Know Seidenberg been injured but it would be foolish to not add him too, he still got some gas left in the tank.

Kuhnhackl-Kahún-Bokk
Ehliz-Hager-Michaelis
Bergmann-Fauser-Pföderl
Noebels, Mauer

M.Müller-Holzer
Y.Seidenberg-D.Seidenberg (brother chemistry)
J.Müller-Sezemsky
Reul-Seider

Greiss
Treutle
Niederberger

Retroglyphs

Mar 23, 2018
Islanders down 0-2. I dont think they will turn it around. Kuchhackl and Greiss would be great adds. I Know Seidenberg been injured but it would be foolish to not add him too, he still got some gas left in the tank.

Kuhnhackl-Kahún-Bokk
Ehliz-Hager-Michaelis
Bergmann-Fauser-Pföderl
Noebels, Mauer

M.Müller-Holzer
Y.Seidenberg-D.Seidenberg (brother chemistry)
J.Müller-Sezemsky
Reul-Seider

Greiss
Treutle
Niederberger

Right, fortune is with Team Germany (and the Canes), and we could soon be with two splendid new roster options - a top goalie and a top defensive forward.
However, I don't think Söderholm will play Kühnhackl on one of our top lines, as he's much more valuable for our bottom six and the PK. I still see him as the perfect fit for Fauser, and even Hager. Might vary with the opponent though. So exciting to have him. :naughty:

kalle wirsch

May 29, 2015
PosNr.NAMEVORNAMEGeburtstagTeamLänderspiele
Torhüter
T31TREUTLENiklas29.04.91Thomas Sabo Ice Tigers25
T32STRAHLMEIERDustin17.05.92Wild Wings Schwenningen6
T35NIEDERBERGERMathias26.11.92Düsseldorfer EG30
Verteidiger
V2REULDenis29.06.89Adler Mannheim86
V5HOLZERKorbinian16.02.88Anaheim Ducks54
V11NOWAKMarco23.07.90Düsseldorfer EG20
V19SCHOPPERBenedikt18.02.85Straubing Tigers17
V36SEIDENBERGYannic11.01.84EHC Red Bull München161
V38WAGNERFabio17.09.95ERC Ingolstadt16
V41MÜLLERJonas19.11.95Eisbären Berlin35
V53SEIDERMoritz06.04.01Adler Mannheim0
V91MÜLLERMoritz19.11.86Kölner Haie142
Stürmer
S15LOIBLStefan24.06.96Straubing Tigers20
S18PFOHLFabio18.10.95Kölner Haie7
S22PLACHTAMatthias16.05.91Adler Mannheim79
S28MAUERFrank12.04.88EHC Red Bull München74
S29DRAISAITLLeon27.10.95Edmonton Oilers47
S42EHLIZYasin30.12.92EHC Red Bull München68
S43FAUSERGerrit13.07.89Grizzlys Wolfsburg44
S50HAGERPatrick08.09.88EHC Red Bull München137
S54BERGMANNLean04.10.98Iserlohn Roosters11
S58EISENSCHMIDMarkus22.01.95Adler Mannheim12
S65MICHAELISMarc31.07.95Minnesota State Univ.21
S72KAHUNDominik02.07.95Chicago Black Hawks53
S83PFÖDERLLeo01.09.93Thomas Sabo Ice Tigers33
S92NOEBELSMarcel14.03.92Eisbären Berlin69
S95TIFFELSFrederik20.05.95Kölner Haie32
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Retroglyphs

Mar 23, 2018
Okay, next-to-last cut today, and I'm pretty annoyed by Söderholm's super-timid & conservative decision, to send the young talented winger Dominik Bokk home. With that cut we're losing a great option on the powerplay. :mad:
Admittedly, Bokk wasn't good during the Austria matches, but he was also stripped of his linemates Michaelis, Tuomie and Bergmann - guys with whom he had real good chemistry together during the matches vs. Slovakia and Czech Rep. Hell, I don't know, what Söderholm is thinking, and what he was expecting from Bokk?! His 6 assists during the first 3 matches weren't surely bad at all.

Other than that, no surprises regarding the top offensive additions.

In defense, Seider got the anticipated nomination, and I expect nothing else than him making the final roster over one of the quartet Schopper/Wagner/Nowak/Reul.
Still not happy with this group of defenders (and somewhat annoyed that Söderholm cut our best skater and offensive zone entry-guy Marcus Weber earlier on), but that's what we've got.

With regard to our goaltenders, I'm so surprised that Söderholm decided against one of the oldies. With good reason Söderholm acts on the assumption that one of our NHL-goalies will join the team before May 10 - and that may well be Thomas Greiss.
Had he chosen Endras or Aus den Birken, they'd have ended up as nr.3 behind Treutle anyways, and it would have been very unsatisfactory for accomplished guys like them. So, this was the right decision.

My new roster prediction:

FORWARDS
Bergmann-Kahún-Pföderl
Ehliz-Hager-Michaelis
Plachta-Fauser-Kühnhackl
Noebels-Mauer

today's cut: Bokk, Elsner, Wohlgemuth
last cut: Pfohl, Loibl

DEFENDERS
M.Müller-Holzer
Y.Seidenberg-Nowak