Olympics: Team Finland 2022

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
I confess something: I'm pretty damn happy Germany didn't win four years ago. Because as cool as it would have been, I know it would also have gnawed at me that even the Germans have an olympic gold while Finland doesn't.

Also, y'all know that in order to cope, oh so many of us would have dismissed the 2018 edition as "meaningless EHT level hockey". And in such a case, celebrating today's achievement would have felt so gosh-darn hypocritical.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
This picture was too funny not to link. What was also funny was Jarmo Kekäläinen's "jyrähdys" on Fasel.

zdZFezC.jpg

Husqvarna

Jan 5, 2019
Finland stormtroopin' through this Olympic icehockey tournament back in Peking, China, was a sight worth to see, but not for sore loser eyes though: 'ello, 'ello false:naughty:Fasel of Russia ... eh, Switzerland fame.

From the first line to the last fourth, but not least, remember! Finland-line kicked 'em all. Right in the nuts. Were it hurt most.

From word go.

Finland were more deadly/evil than Alex and his gang of hoodlums in that classic book/movie A Clockwork Orange (circa 1972) ... tick tack, tick tack Finland but gang fare Jukka Jalonen-style ruled Peking 2022 like a clock.

I'm not sain' he's keeping the rest of the hockey world bellow him Alex-style - but almost.

images

Last edited:

MoeTheHobo

Jan 24, 2017
I confess something: I'm pretty damn happy Germany didn't win four years ago. Because as cool as it would have been, I know it would also have gnawed at me that even the Germans have an olympic gold while Finland doesn't.
Finally we're tied with the Brits!

Reactions: Tuoppi and Stubu

Husqvarna

Jan 5, 2019
I rather like the new things and spirit that Jukka Jalonen come up with; with Finland hockey.

Not givin' up in the first place, never ever, even on the second place ... even when you got a mountain high K2 (worlds worst mountain to climb - worse than Mount Everest you know) to climb. In a game.

Sisu.

Finland ol' new style. So to say. Every game.

Cold fact is that Finland only have 5.503.297 million people livin' in the country right about now; some of their opponents even have larger cities than all of Finland ('ello Russia and 'ello USA!) and they all have their NHL and KHL leagues; and the likes.

And remember everybody doesn't even play hockey in Finland - Finland compete for real in (real) football, volleyball and basketball too.

Finland won't be there and be counted on ya may say.

But we will, we will. That can you count on. Can ya hear ya can ya?!

I rather dig that Jukka Jalonens Mannerheim-style - Finland against the masses: and don't cry if you lose to Finland.
Do you hear do ya!?

Jalonen never cries.

Last edited:

Husqvarna

Jan 5, 2019
And do not for a bloody, bloody second or even a bloody minute you destroy for me and my Finland my Olympic gold NHL.

This is the Olympics.

Since the ancient Greeks.

You NHL - and your jippo-best-on best-tournaments - can get the feck out of my life and the Olympics.

If you can't stand the Olympic heat - get out of there then. And do jippo-around NHL. Moneymakers only. Get out of my face. Please.

The Olympics don't need you.

I've been waiting for this Finland Olympic gold medal hockey Gold all of my life - hope my son haven't to wait longer.

Last edited:

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
I'm sure someone posted this already but anyhow:

-snip-

Meanwhile in Sweden you have Forsberg and Lundqvist dressed to the nines dryly analyzing hockey in the studio.
A part of me can't help but wonder what Sirpa and Johanna are thinking about this.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Win after win, medal after medal and still foreign guys don't understand. We have massive, i mean massive edge to every country before any tournament.

We have a structure that gives us chance to win any tournament with pretty much any players. And when we have good team on paper we should be favourites.

But being underdog is fine, then foreigners can be in shock every year "How on earth did this happen". Best vs best i'd say Canada is the only favourite against us.
At the start of the games, one of the Toronto sportswriters listed the favourites as: Canada, USA, Russia, Sweden, and Czech. He also said "the plucky Finns might pull off an upset or two".

Far too many people who should know better by now haven't got a clue. You would think they haven't been watching any games in the last ten years.

The more interesting question is when will the Finnish women's team start playing in the finals?

Husqvarna

Jan 5, 2019
I'm sure someone posted this already but anyhow:

Meanwhile in Sweden you have Forsberg and Lundqvist dressed to the nines dryly analyzing hockey in the studio.

The only ever seconds I ever of saw of that studio TV 5 was that I saw Forsberg ... rather unhappy:

I work at night.

The only few I seconds from o my place there was radio/saw on ... and then Eurosport: coz I can't even stand the Sweden commentators.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
The only ever seconds I ever of saw of that studio TV 5 was that I saw Forsberg ... rather unhappy:

I work at night.

The only few I seconds from o my place there was radio/saw on ... and then Eurosport: coz I can't even stand the Sweden commentators.

This?

Reactions: Husqvarna

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
I missed the party of celebrating Finnish Lions Olympic gold at the Olympic stadium. I counted on YLE showing it but they didn't. It seems like Discovery/TV5 showed it but are there any other ways to see it? Was it recorded somewhere?

Husqvarna

Jan 5, 2019
Kimmo Timonen a seasoned NHL-player said in the (Finland) studio that he was only lyin' eyes he saw it ... so there you go ... and even Forsberg wore glasses this time around. They were unhappy those Swedes two (Henrik Lundqvist) two even I saw it. Locked in a TV 5-cage. Finland style. Those two didn't dig it Finland for even a moment or so - and Finland or so I don't dig/hate them either. I saw it.

Last edited:

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
At the start of the games, one of the Toronto sportswriters listed the favourites as: Canada, USA, Russia, Sweden, and Czech. He also said "the plucky Finns might pull off an upset or two".

Far too many people who should know better by now haven't got a clue. You would think they haven't been watching any games in the last ten years.

The more interesting question is when will the Finnish women's team start playing in the finals?
If you have a link to that article, it would be amusing to read. Some of the wackier journos in Hockey Mecca are really something.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
If you have a link to that article, it would be amusing to read. Some of the wackier journos in Hockey Mecca are really something.
Most of the article was quite reasonable, except for that little bit, which I thought was hysterical.

I'll see if I can find it.

Reactions: Stubu

Husqvarna

Jan 5, 2019
Oi, Stubu little boy there's a Olympic Gold run around statues instead of hunt for you to run around - instead of 'ol Finlands hockey-revolution men, can you dig?!

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
I missed the party of celebrating Finnish Lions Olympic gold at the Olympic stadium.
Did you catch the 2019 celebration? Or the 2016 WJC one? If you did, you missed nothing special. It was practically a rerun, except it was snowing like heck. Ellinoora. JVG. Player interviews player. (Komarov on Björninen.) The final act: Finlandia by Vesala.

The only moment worth catching was when they shaved off Björninen's mustache on stage.

Reactions: Mestaruus

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
Oi, Stubu little boy there's a Olympic Gold run around statues instead of hunt for you to run around - instead of 'ol Finlands hockey-revolution men, can you dig?!

If I'm deciphering your message right... Of course I was there at Manta on Sunday. Living nearby so it's been a bit of a tradition since 1995.
:cheers:

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I have a question for all the more knowledgeable Finnish fans:

How well would the gold medal team do against a team made up of only Finnish players currently in the NHL?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad