Olympics: Team Finland 2022

Seiza

Feb 28, 2002
Sweden
Congratulations Finland, well done!

I watched a total of five minutes of Olympic hockey, it was so boring I almost fell asleep (FYI Sweden was involved).

David OSullivan

Oct 12, 2017
What a day. Most happy for valteri Filppula. Not part of any of the WC gold's. Very much deserves his moment. Jalonen is just awesome.

Reactions: Doubty

Lartsaman

Aug 2, 2018
Finland
YES! Finally the generational dream is accomplished! This is amazing i don't have the words to describe this feeling, i've been waiting for this moment for decades.

Jukka Jalonen has created unstoppable machine. Every player has a role and they execute their role with perfection, and when that machine gets united like this they become unbeatable. Players becames more like cyborgs than humans.

What a great day to be a finn.

Kiitos Leijonat.
View attachment 509060

Thanks for the new desktop wallpaper. ;)

Reactions: SantosHalper

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
You have to say Finland was stacked for this tournament. Former NHLers and top KHL plyers.

It was an incredible roster for "Euro tournament". I feel like something like 10-14 of those players could be in the NHL right now. Most of them in smaller roles, but in active line up and playing.

To me these players in the first list could quite obviously be in the NHL. Some of them just came from there. Few have never been in the NHL and might still go there to give it a go. Many of these players didn't exactly get kicked out of the NHL, they just were offered the league minimum or wouldn't get to play a full season, so they wanted a change in scenery. Some of them wanted a 1-way contract only:
-----------------
Manninen - Could easily be an NHL player now. NHL has turned into a league where smaller, fast enough, skilled players can excell.
Björninen - His face off ability is out of this world and he can do other things as well. Those things are valued in the NHL. When Jukka Jalonen gets to be an NHL head coach, Björninen will be in his NHL team. Just watch me being right about this one.
Lehtonen - Just came from the NHL. Could've had a long career in the NHL, but gets paid NHL salary in the KHL probably with low taxes as well.
Komarov - Just came from the NHL. NYI head coach kind of wanted Komarov to stay. Komarov didn't like when they sent him into AHL if I remember right. He would've got to play more NHL games later this season despite of being sent into the AHL, but as a veteran he was tired of that and he got good enough offer from the KHL, plus he wanted to play in the Olympics with NHL players or without and it would've been hard to select him into Jalonen's team if he wasn't getting active minutes somewhere outside the AHL.
Vatanen - Just came from the NHL. I feel like he goes back to NHL next season.
Hartikainen - He gets paid far more in the KHL than NHL's minimum salary. He just has no reason to go to NHL and he has a legend status in his UFA team, so he is like very much attached to that team.
Säteri - He wasn't given a proper chance in the NHL. 8-9 games played and 4-4 win-loss record. Some players require luck to get that opportunity to show what they are made of. He didn't get that opportunity really. It is very similar to M. Aaltonen with that.
Filppula - Just came from the NHL. Could've stayed there for 1-2 more season with a 1 way contract I feel but money was not his priority.

Then in the second list these guys aren't as obvious to me, but I feel like they could maybe also be good in NHL at the moment:
--------------------
Ohtamaa - He's just a very good stay at home D. I don't see why he couldn't be an NHL player. He's known for turning down some very rich KHL contracts because he likes to stay in Finland and obviously if he stays in Finland he is season after season one of the best players of Liiga. Money is not his priority. He just gets home sick fast.
M. Aaltonen - I don't think that he was given a proper chance in the NHL and Leafs. He was just buried in to the AHL because Toronto had a rather good bunch of forwards.
Kaski - He was just a reserve, but I'll mention him anyways. It was his own choice to come back from NA and I feel like he could've been something in the NHL, even a star.
Olkinuora - I feel like there are worse goalies than him in the NHL currently
Ma. Granlund - He was a borderline NHL player before he went to the KHL, but I feel like he could've stayed there longer if he wanted as a 4th liner. Not sure if 1-way contract was realism for him but with a 2-way contract he would've got many NHL games each season.
Iiro Pakarinen - Nothing has changed from his NHL days. He could've continued to be a 4th line grinder there maybe. The currrent 4th line wingers in NHL in general aren't much better than him, if at all. 4th lines just tend to be treated like trash and given the league minimum wages and 2-way contracts only. He was in that kind of situation there.
Saku Mäenalanen - It was surprising when he left the NHL He played 34 games for Carolina in the 2018-2019 season and he left NHL right after that season. I feel like it was as surprising as Kaski abandoning or pausing his NHL career. Jokerit probably gave Mäenalanen a contract that matched NHL's minimum salary plus the advantage of getting to live in his home country are good perks.

I'm sure I missed a few. This team was loaded with good players!

Last edited:

Nate070

Sep 15, 2010
Maldives
After years of dedicated homerism and nationalism and kotiinpäinvetäminen, we have finally won all golds. I might retire from homerism now and start to be reasonable, analytic fan. Empty feeling
Don´t do it man. Keep up the good work ;)

Reactions: QnebO

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
ed6a656031524db6aeb7b778bb4cb843.jpg.webp

johnsic

Nov 12, 2009
It was an incredible roster for "Euro tournament". I feel like something like 10-14 of those players could be in the NHL right now. Most of them in smaller roles, but in active line up and playing.

To me these players in the first list could quite obviously be in the NHL. Some of them just came from there. Few have never been in the NHL and might still go there to give it a go. Many of these players didn't exactly get kicked out of the NHL, they just were offered the league minimum or wouldn't get to play a full season, so they wanted a change in scenery. Some of them wanted a 1-way contract only:
-----------------
Manninen - Could easily be an NHL player now. NHL has turned into a league where smaller, fast enough, skilled players can excell.
Björninen - His face off ability is out of this world and he can do other things as well. Those things are valued in the NHL. When Jukka Jalonen gets to be an NHL head coach, Björninen will be in his NHL team. Just watch me being right about this one.
Lehtonen - Just came from the NHL. Could've had a long career in the NHL, but gets paid NHL salary in the KHL probably with low taxes as well.
Komarov - Just came from the NHL. NYI head coach kind of wanted Komarov to stay. Komarov didn't like when they sent him into AHL if I remember right. He would've got to play more NHL games later this season despite of being sent into the AHL, but as a veteran he was tired of that and he got good enough offer from the KHL, plus he wanted to play in the Olympics with NHL players or without and it would've been hard to select him into Jalonen's team if he wasn't getting active minutes somewhere outside the AHL.
Vatanen - Just came from the NHL. I feel like he goes back to NHL next season.
Hartikainen - He gets paid far more in the KHL than NHL's minimum salary. He just has no reason to go to NHL and he has a legend status in his UFA team, so he is like very much attached to that team.
Säteri - He wasn't given a proper chance in the NHL. 8-9 games played and 4-4 win-loss record. Some players require luck to get that opportunity to show what they are made of. He didn't get that opportunity really. It is very similar to M. Aaltonen with that.
Filppula - Just came from the NHL. Could've stayed there for 1-2 more season with a 1 way contract I feel but money was not his priority.

Then in the second list these guys aren't as obvious to me, but I feel like they could maybe also be good in NHL at the moment:
--------------------
Ohtamaa - He's just a very good stay at home D. I don't see why he couldn't be an NHL player. He's known for turning down some very rich KHL contracts because he likes to stay in Finland and obviously if he stays in Finland he is season after season one of the best players of Liiga. Money is not his priority. He just gets home sick fast.
M. Aaltonen - I don't think that he was given a proper chance in the NHL and Leafs. He was just buried in to the AHL because Toronto had a rather good bunch of forwards.
Kaski - He was just a reserve, but I'll mention him anyways. It was his own choice to come back from NA and I feel like he could've been something in the NHL, even a star.
Olkinuora - I feel like there are worse goalies than him in the NHL currently
Ma. Granlund - He was a borderline NHL player before he went to the KHL, but I feel like he could've stayed there longer if he wanted as a 4th liner. Not sure if 1-way contract was realism for him but with a 2-way contract he would've got many NHL games each season.
Iiro Pakarinen - Nothing has changed from his NHL days. He could've continued to be a 4th line grinder there maybe. The currrent 4th line wingers in NHL in general aren't much better than him, if at all. 4th lines just tend to be treated like trash and given the league minimum wages and 2-way contracts only. He was in that kind of situation there.
Saku Mäenalanen - It was surprising when he left the NHL He played 34 games for Carolina in the 2018-2019 season and he left NHL right after that season. I feel like it was as surprising as Kaski abandoning or pausing his NHL career. Jokerit probably gave Mäenalanen a contract that matched NHL's minimum salary plus the advantage of getting to live in his home country are good perks.

I'm sure I missed a few. This team was loaded with good players!

I agree. Most of the team are NHL quality players and Säteri and Olkinuora are better than current Sabres goalies.

Reactions: Mestaruus

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Did you guys see that embarrassing over weight guy at Havis Amanda statue completely naked, surrounded by 100+ people probably. It was on YLE's live broadcast after the gold was won. That was the most embarrassing thing I've seen in a while, but it was really funny. He made his family proud and will always be remembered for that. Good for him!

Last edited:

swoopster

Politally incorrect
Dec 10, 2015
MI formerly MA
The Finns have a national system based on interchangeable pieces. From an early age, they are taught the same basic concepts of playing style and as they move along, that never changes, regardless of skill level. Congrats!

Reactions: Mestaruus

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Did you guys see that embarrassing over weight guy at Havis Amanda statue complete naked, surrounded by 100+ people probably, it was on YLE's live broadcast after the gold was won. That was the most embarrassing thing I've seen in a while, but it was really funny. He made his family proud and will always be remembered for that. Good for him!
Looks like we're all Jukka Tammi today.

In related news, here is the reigning Miss Finland with her best impression.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad