Olympics: Team China 2022 Olympics

Pardus

Sep 25, 2017
Oulu, Finland
the game played. 3-1 win. The Chinese out played the Danes for like 75 percent of the game but a great game.
I meant the men's exhibition game that was canceled as was Latvia's game against Russia. Latvia should face Denmark tomorrow. Don't know if China's gonna have any exhibition games before Thursday?

Reactions: lawrence

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
because they don’t have Chinese names, so they try to give them a name that sounds similar to birth names.

This is correct. My English name is Tricia ***** (no doxxing me thanks) and if it were to be "Chinesized" (that's not a real word but you get the idea) it would retain Western order. On the other hand, my Chinese name is Tan Jun Lei (family name first, but you can't doxx me with that one, hah!).

Reactions: Auston Escobar

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Inside the odd Olympic journey of China's men's hockey team

Comprehensive article that actually brings up the internal dynamics of China's men's team, first time I've seen any information about it

Wow… awesome article. Finally not a bashing article but everything seems quite accurate, the struggles, and the realities of ice hockey in China such as price of equipment. Smith not wanting to give up his passport and outlining they China will not force foreigners to give up passports to compete for China.

Reactions: egelband

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Wow… awesome article. Finally not a bashing article but everything seems quite accurate, the struggles, and the realities of ice hockey in China such as price of equipment. Smith not wanting to give up his passport and outlining they China will not force foreigners to give up passports to compete for China.

There's an Emma Lazarus joke here no doubt. Don't worry about the rules, we'll make an exception for you. I figured that to be the case with the NA players on this team. Even though she won't confirm it I'm sure it's the same with Eileen Gu as well.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
With the slight difference that those North America-born players didn't join the Italian national team for a single tournament, but had generally been living in Italy already for longer and made extensive careers both with the Italian national team as well as Italian hockey clubs.

Also some of the Italy players actually played roles on that team as well, not so in this "National" teams case.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
The implied odds of PRC winning against the US according to bookies is 1 in 10. The rest is basic probability theory if we assume their chances are similar vs. Germany, vs. Canada and vs. their quali opponent.

The probability of them all winning vs. China is a little over 65%, so the probability of China winning at least one game is roughly 1 in 3.
Fast forward to the actual tournament and the odds now range between 1.01 and 1.03. The moral of the story - when it comes to tournaments like this bookies guess just the way you or I do. Apparently, given more time and evidence and they too came to the conclusion I had all along.

Reactions: Urbanskog

joelef

Nov 22, 2011
Also some of the Italy players actually played roles on that team as well, not so in this "National" teams case.
Baseball European teams are the worst teams like Italy Spain and Greece are basically and Latin American players who have to use ancestry.com or the Netherlands which is mostly uses it tiny baseball loving overseas territories

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad