Olympics: Team China 2022 Olympics

Aug 3, 2010
Czech women's team up 3-1 on China. Didn't see the China goal but the Czech are controlling the play but wouldn't say they're outright dominating.

China, Japan, Czech Republic, Sweden and Denmark in Group B. Might not get totally embarrassed as if they played against the US or Canada.

Lartsaman

Aug 2, 2018
Finland
As a finn Ryan Sproul´s new name name gives me some laughs. :D Doesn´t actually mean anything but sounds like some children´s cartoon character.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Yip is a Cantonese last name and Ye is the Mandarin equivalent. Jinguang is probably his Chinese given name.

This is correct. It can also be romanized as Ip or Jip in the Cantonese form, hence the Ip Man martial arts film series. Same family name. Here's the character for it:

FBolzCF.png

Likewise, my Chinese family name is Tan, but that's the Southern Min pronunciation. The Mandarin form is Chen. The Cantonese form is Chan, like, you know, Jackie Chan. Here's the character for my Chinese family name:

85z2lEK.png

Don't believe me? Here's a photo I took of my grandparents' grave last June:

EGEjRvf.jpg

lawrence

May 19, 2012
This is correct. It can also be romanized as Ip or Jip in the Cantonese form, hence the Ip Man martial arts film series. Same family name. Here's the character for it:

FBolzCF.png

Likewise, my Chinese family name is Tan, but that's the Southern Min pronunciation. The Mandarin form is Chen. The Cantonese form is Chan, like, you know, Jackie Chan. Here's the character for my Chinese family name:

85z2lEK.png

Don't believe me? Here's a photo I took of my grandparents' grave last June:

EGEjRvf.jpg

wow.... mine blown, I didn't know Tan another form for Chan. Tan is very popular in Singapore. Just like Lee in Cantonese, in China they will use "Li" in Vietnam they will use Le, and in Korea they will use Lee, and and also use Yi, to represent Lee as in bruce lee's "lee".

Reactions: Summer Rose

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
wow.... mine blown, I didn't know Tan another form for Chan. Tan is very popular in Singapore. Just like Lee in Cantonese, in China they will use "Li" in Vietnam they will use Le, and in Korea they will use Lee, and and also use Yi, to represent Lee as in bruce lee's "lee".

If I recall correctly, Hokkien Chinese are the largest group of the Chinese diaspora residing in Singapore, which is a Southern Min language, so it makes sense that they would use the form Tan for the family name. Speaking of Vietnam, Tran is the form of the family name Tan/Chen/Chan there.

Reactions: lawrence

hypereconomist

Mar 10, 2019
This is a great video about the topic

It wasn't that good of a video. Could have been researched better than just going onto the 2021-22 Kunlun Eliteprospects page.

Plus, a lot of things have changed since the video was released - e.g. no NHLers in the olympics, a number of foreign players leaving the team (either due to not forfeiting their passports or getting exemption from IIHF), team making adjustments with their set roster in place, etc.

Compared to the non-NHL national rosters of the big nations, Team China doesn't stack up too poorly anymore. They have two and a half lines worth of solid pro forwards, two solid pairings of pro dmen, and a decent pro goalie. They won't compete for a medal or anywhere past the quarter-finals, but there probably won't be any blowouts and they might be able to squeak out a win against some of the weaker nations (e.g. Germany, Denmark, Latvia, or Slovakia) if they get enough puck luck

Last edited:

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
It wasn't that good of a video. Could have been researched better than just going onto the 2021-22 Kunlun Eliteprospects page.

Plus, a lot of things have changed since the video was released - e.g. no NHLers in the olympics, a number of foreign players leaving the team (either due to not forfeiting their passports or getting exemption from IIHF), team making adjustments with their set roster in place, etc.

Compared to the non-NHL national rosters of the big nations, Team China doesn't stack up too poorly anymore. They have two and a half lines worth of solid pro forwards, two solid d pairings of pro dmen, and a decent pro goalie. They won't compete for a medal or anywhere past the quarter-finals, but there probably won't be any blowouts and they might be able to squeak out a win against some of the weaker nations (e.g. Germany, Denmark, Latvia, or Slovakia) if they get enough puck luck

sure but that sounded like a voice that knew a lot about hockey..well not really.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad