Olympics: Team China 2022 Olympics

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
So what are their team gonna look like?

I have no idea about IIHF rules about nationality switches or how long you have to be in China to be nationalized.

But assuming North-americans with 2 years or more playing for Kunlun in KHL will be on the team:

Hunter Shinkaruk - Ethan Werek - Luke Lockhart
Brandon Yip - Gilbert Brule - Greg Squires
Sean Collins - Cory Kane - Spencer Foo
??? -??? - Tyler Wong

Victor Bartley - Ryan Sproul
Zach Yuen - Jake Chelios
Jason Fram - Mikael Tam
Brayden Jaw

Jeremey Smith
???

Reactions: HockeyWooot

BOS358

Purveyor of unpopular opinions
Jul 20, 2017
Boston
The IIHF's rules for switching nationalities are here.

The Chinese passport/ citizenship rules are extremely difficult, but according to EliteProspects.com, at least Yip, Kane, and Squires have their Chinese passports (at least, they have the Chinese flag next to their names,) so it would appear that they are eligible. Werek does not, so he probably won't be.

EDIT: I'd assume it would be easier for players with Chinese ancestry, such as Yip, Kane, and Squires, but I know Yip's passport took a long time despite that. One could infer that it would be nearly impossible for a player without Chinese ancestry to become eligible for Olympic and other international competition.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Is there a single born in China player?
No, none of those guys are even close. Rudi Ying has the best chance since he could somewhat hang in at the VHL level but he grew up in the States as well.

So what are their team gonna look like?
From what we've seen so far, they aren't giving out passports to straight-up Canadians, they seem to be more limited by internal policy than IIHF rules. All players that were given citizenship so far have Chinese roots, at least partially. So guys like Werek, Shinkaruk, Brule, etc. are off the table.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
I think the up to date lineup would be

Brandon Yip - Cory Kane - Tyler Wong
Garet Hunt - Luke Lockhart - Spencer Foo
Brandon Magee - Alex Riche - Greg Squires
Parker Foo - Chris Seto - Yang Hu

Victor Bartley - Brayden Jaw
Zach Yuen - Jason Fram
Mikael Tam - Mike Chen
Austin Cho - Ty Schultz

Jordan Liem
Derek Dun
They need to pull some kind of rabbit out of the hat.. At least find a goaltender if nothing else.

garbageteam

Jan 7, 2010
Likely even worse than the 2018 Korean team? They do have one legitimate former NHLer that got more than a cup of coffee in the league (Yip, who picked up 11G / 19 P in 32 games in his first season) but that looks like about it. If NHLers play we might see scoring records broken for scorelines in a Men's Olympics tournament.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
I'm not sure about that. Also because Korea played for several years with that team and could build some chemistry.
As someone who has seen Korea lose to Lithuania with our 5 professional players, I will ask you to just trust me on this. Whatever China is going to have, at least 10 of those guys will be legitimate KHL-level professionals. Regarding chemistry, you can apply the same to the Chinese team as well, most of them have played together for Kunlun.

On a slightly separate note, it's pretty interesting what are those Chinese team hopefuls doing this year. Because none of their VHL-level guys are playing anywhere.

Last edited:

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Werek and Shinkaruk have played for Canada at U18 level, pretty sure they are not eligible after only 2 years in China.

Reactions: lawrence

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
The biggest weakness lies in the goaltending position which really was the strength of South Korea. Derek Dun or Jordan Liem would get slaughtered on ice and Jeremy Smith will not be eligible to play for China. At this point it's too late to even find another goalie to naturalize.

It's a spectacular failure on their part considering that they must have been well-aware of the rules. Yet, they insisted on searching for mediocre Canadian goalies – as long as they had at least one drop of Chinese blood in them.

Reactions: DaveG and Exarz

hypereconomist

Mar 10, 2019
Other than a goalie Chinese team is far superior.

In addition to better goaltending, South Korea also had:
  • a coaching team led by Jim Paek and Richard Park...two guys with lots of NHL experience. Paek also has a cup ring
  • a bigger, stronger, and more experienced defense with some good AHL guys that got a cup of tea in the NHL (i.e. Plante and Young)
  • intense national pride and competitive spirit from the large number of domestic/homegrown players on the team
That 2018 South Korea would mop the floor with the expected 2022 China team

Last edited:

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
  • a coaching team led by Jim Paek and Richard Park...two guys with lots of NHL experience. Paek also has a cup ring
  • a bigger, stronger, and more experienced defense with some good AHL guys that got a cup of tea in the NHL (i.e. Plante and Young)
  • intense national pride and competitive spirit from the large number of domestic/homegrown players on the team
Ah, the good old intangibles :laugh: Sure they would, sure they would.

The Great Mighty Poo

Thank You 59.
Feb 21, 2020
Scatbox

I believe you meant 2 rings.

Reactions: hypereconomist

Lartsaman

Aug 2, 2018
Finland
As I understood, right now these na-based players are eligible IF they give up their former citizenships. China doesn´t recognize the dual-citizenship.

Brandon Yip
Cory Kane
Lucas Lockhart
Greg Squires
Zach Yuen
Victor Bartley
Brayden Jaw

The rest would be chinese-born players. The same players who compete at IIHF Division 2. If the nhl-players are in olympics, Chinas games would be horrible to watch. Team Canada most probably gives them mercy by not scoring more than 10 goals, not sure about the Team USA. They might as well score 20. Germany would also be a very difficult(impossible) opponent for China to beat.

Last edited:

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
As I understood, right now these na-based players are eligible IF they give up their former citizenships. China doesn´t recognize the dual-citizenship.

I doubt that would become a problem until after they've outlived their usefulness.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Squires ended his career after last season so looks like he won't be there.
Not saying you are wrong about this but the level difference between Squires that has been retired from hockey for couple of seasons by 2022 and amateurs that China currently has as an alternates is so staggering - that he could easily suit up for them anyway and be very influential too. This happens all the time in lower tier World Championships when ''retired'' players make their only appearances of the season for their respective national team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad