Status
Not open for further replies.

Aaron Vickers

FCHockey
Mar 4, 2002
Calgary, AB
www.nhlentrydraft.com
Greg7 said:
Mostly because he wasn't at the summer camp. Everyone knew what he could do before this year, so he isn't really a surprise kind of guy that can sneak on, so I think it will be tough for him. I was quite surprised he wasn't invited to the summer camp, but very few guys make the team who aren't there in the summer, so he looks to be in pretty tough.

Summer camp means nothing.

Jeff Glass wasn't at the summer camp last year.

Meat Wave

Apr 4, 2003
Canada
Mess said:
Justin Pogge - CHL goalie of the month .. Calgary Hitman ..

Check it out ..
http://www.whl.ca/stats/statdisplay.php?type=top_goalies&id=0&leagueId=26

He is outplaying both Carey Price, Devin Dubynk in the WHL this year ..

Yeah, well Pogge's team is 2nd in overall standings with 1 game in hand. Is Pogge the main reason for that? I didn't see the Hitmen this year so I couldn't tell. One thing I do know though is that Carey Price's team is as weak as they get. Pretty hard to "outplay" other goalthenders when you're on a team that plays for .320 and has scored only 42 goals, which is the 2nd worst in the dub. He has been struggling early on though, and is picking it up in November. Hopefully Team Canada's staff sees that and trust Carey to be between the pipes for us this year.

Greg7

Feb 5, 2004
Aaron Vickers said:
Summer camp means nothing.

Jeff Glass wasn't at the summer camp last year.
Yeah, but that's not the same situation. Everyone was well aware of what Setoguchi brings to the table before this season. He isn't really surprising anyone with his play so far this year, whereas Glass last season had a huge breakout year and really burst onto the scene playing way better than he had previously. He had a decent year before, but he certainly didn't have the jaw dropping numbers he did last year. Setoguchi on the other hand is progressing pretty much the way he was expected to. The fact that he wasn't invited to summer camp probably means Sutter and Mackasey don't like something in his game, and unless that has changed from last season, I don't think his improved production is going to help him too much. I for one was quite surprised he wasn't invited to the summer camp, but that really indicates to me it's probably going to be pretty difficult for him to get on. Who knows though.

flambers

Jun 4, 2005
I would not be surprised to see Pogge make the team. Price seems to be the favorite in this thread but from what I have read he has had a poor season so far. While Pogge has been really impressive.

joe_shannon_1983*

Just as long as Canada beats U.S.A., that is all I care about. :handclap:

If U.S.A. beats Canada, then I will have to hear about it for weeks (my wife is American; I am Canadian).

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Kyle Chipchura said:
Yeah, well Pogge's team is 2nd in overall standings with 1 game in hand. Is Pogge the main reason for that? I didn't see the Hitmen this year so I couldn't tell. One thing I do know though is that Carey Price's team is as weak as they get. Pretty hard to "outplay" other goalthenders when you're on a team that plays for .320 and has scored only 42 goals, which is the 2nd worst in the dub. He has been struggling early on though, and is picking it up in November. Hopefully Team Canada's staff sees that and trust Carey to be between the pipes for us this year.
Price's stats are near the worst in the WHL ..

http://www.whl.ca/stats/statdisplay.php?type=top_goalies&id=0&leagueId=26http://www.whl.ca/stats/statdisplay...d=0&leagueId=26

14 games played and 3 wins ..

Look at the shots against Pogge has faced 408 in his 19 games has 15 wins 4 SO and a GAA of 1.55

Price has faced 429 shots (which is just 21 more then Pogge) has 3 wins and a GAA of 3.40 and Zero Shutouts ..

Now I am not sure how bad a team is would reflect GA but shots are similar, but logic would say that if Price is letting in a lot of goals that his team is going to lose and if Pogge makes the saves his team will win and be better ..

Price has not been very good at all .. and if he makes the WJC team it will be on reputation and not play ..

Also it may come down to the upcoming Canada/Russia Challenge

This year in B.C., head coach Brent Sutter could select a pair of WHL netminders for the team once again. But it’s a wide-open competition. Dubnyk (Kamloops Blazers), Pogge (Calgary Hitmen), Yeomans (Kelowna Rockets) and Price (Tri-City Americans) make up the four-goalie WHL contingent participating in the Canada-Russia Challenge this year. Dubnyk and Price will split netminding duties Nov. 30 in Saskatoon against the Russian squad, while Pogge and Yeomans will play in Regina.

2005 CHL Canada/Russia Challenge - Schedule of Games
Game 1 - Monday November 21 at Drummondville, Quebec
Game 2 - Wednesday November 23 at Moncton, New Brunswick
Game 3 - Thursday November 24 at Kitchener, Ontario
Game 4 - Monday November 28 at Peterborough, Ontario
Game 5 - Wednesday November 30 at Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
Game 6 - Thursday December 1 at Regina, Saskatchewan

Alter Haudegen

Dec 7, 2004
Mess said:

http://www.whl.ca/stats/statdisplay.php?type=top_goalies&id=0&leagueId=26http://www.whl.ca/stats/statdisplay...d=0&leagueId=26

Look at the shots against Pogge has faced 408 in his 19 games has 15 wins 4 SO and a GAA of 1.55

Price has faced 429 shots (which is just 21 more then Pogge) has 3 wins and a GAA of 3.40 and Zero Shutouts ..

Now I am not sure how bad a team is would reflect GA but shots are similar, but logic would say that if Price is letting in a lot of goals that his team is going to lose and if Pogge makes the saves his team will win and be better ..

Price has not been very good at all .. and if he makes the WJC team it will be on reputation and not play ..

Earth on Mess! :cry: Yes, Price only faced 21 shots more than Pogge, but in 5 games less! Pogge is facing an average of 21 shots per game, while Price is facing an average of 33. From Pogge's 4 shutouts, one was a 12 save, one a 13 save and one a 18 save game. Again, I'm not saying that Price should make it and Pogge not, nor that he is the better goaltender (on the contrary, I think that Pogge is underrated and Price is overrated), but to compare the Hitmen (a WHL powerhouse) to the Ams (a cellar-dweller) is not fair. I think most people will tell you that the Hitmen have probably the best defense in the Dub (together with the Vancouver Giants) and the Ams have one of the worst.

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
I don't care about stats ..
but Price was crazy(in a good way at montreal camp) and could IMO have started in the NHL if not of Theodore ! .. He has all the tools your looking in a goalie. Big,fast,good positioning and AMAZING puck control ... look like brodeur ! sure he's not playing at his potential but I just want him to be called at WJC camp then we'll see how he perform at the same level than the other goalies !
Anyway some of you guys should watch him play before compairing stats !

Transported Upstater

Kryoptix said:
I don't care about stats ..
but Price was crazy(in a good way at montreal camp) and could IMO have started in the NHL if not of Theodore ! .. He has all the tools your looking in a goalie. Big,fast,good positioning and AMAZING puck control ... look like brodeur ! sure he's not playing at his potential but I just want him to be called at WJC camp then we'll see how he perform at the same level than the other goalies !
Anyway some of you guys should watch him play before compairing stats !

I don't believe a teenager has Brodeur's puck skills.

And no way can Price play in the NHL right now.

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
TransportedUpstater said:
I don't believe a teenager has Brodeur's puck skills.

And no way can Price play in the NHL right now.
I never said he's brodeur clone(puck skills wise) .. but he really look IMO in a young brodeur !
and I agree there's no way he should start in the NHL .. but he was IMO the best goaltender at camp (better than Theodore,Danis,Halak,Michaud : all pro goalie)

Towelie*

Mess said:

There is absoulutely no way that Pogge should make this team. Even if Pogge somehow beat out one of Price or Dubnyk, I don't think there is much rational at him beating out Julien Ellis Plante, who I believe is easily the superior goalie.

Pogge has played for two WHL teams thus far, first the Prince George Cougars, and secondly, the Calgary Hitmen - here is his stats for both.

Prince George Cougars:
2003-2004 Cougars: GP-44- Save Percentage: .900%-GAA-2.83
2004-2005 Cougars: GP-24- Save Percentage: .891%-GAA-2.80
Calgary Hitmen:
2004-2005 Hitmen: GP-29- Save Percentage: 917%-GAA-2.29
2005-2006 Hitmen: GP-19- Save Percentage: 926%- GAA-1.55

Clearly Pogge is playing better on the Hitmen. This is most likely because the Hitmen are a better team, with a great defence. I think that if you analyze the obove stats it becomes evident that Pogges stats are somewhat elevated by the Hitmens dominace. Pogge stats have never being great, except this year. The Hitmen are 15-4 giving up an average of 19.7 shots, barely anything!

I don't know how anyone could make an argument that Pogge deserves to be there more then Julien Ellis.

Transported Upstater

Kryoptix said:
I never said he's brodeur clone(puck skills wise) .. but he really look IMO in a young brodeur !
and I agree there's no way he should start in the NHL .. but he was IMO the best goaltender at camp (better than Theodore,Danis,Halak,Michaud : all pro goalie)

OK, I understand your post better now. Carry on :)

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Just a quick question, is there a tentative list of like 50 players out? (like the Olympic Canadian team has out)? If not does anybody have that list to the invitees to the camp they held in the summer? Thanks.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Comfortably Numb said:
There is absoulutely no way that Pogge should make this team. Even if Pogge somehow beat out one of Price or Dubnyk, I don't think there is much rational at him beating out Julien Ellis Plante, who I believe is easily the superior goalie.

Pogge has played for two WHL teams thus far, first the Prince George Cougars, and secondly, the Calgary Hitmen - here is his stats for both.

Prince George Cougars:
2003-2004 Cougars: GP-44- Save Percentage: .900%-GAA-2.83
2004-2005 Cougars: GP-24- Save Percentage: .891%-GAA-2.80
Calgary Hitmen:
2004-2005 Hitmen: GP-29- Save Percentage: 917%-GAA-2.29
2005-2006 Hitmen: GP-19- Save Percentage: 926%- GAA-1.55

Clearly Pogge is playing better on the Hitmen. This is most likely because the Hitmen are a better team, with a great defence. I think that if you analyze the obove stats it becomes evident that Pogges stats are somewhat elevated by the Hitmens dominace. Pogge stats have never being great, except this year. The Hitmen are 15-4 giving up an average of 19.7 shots, barely anything!

I don't know how anyone could make an argument that Pogge deserves to be there more then Julien Ellis.
What does the 2003-04 or 2004-05 seasons have to do with anything ??

The Brent Sutter is going to select the best players playing this year, they are not going to go back to when he was 17-18 years old and compare stats from then.

This year is all that counts since its this years team they are selecting ??

BTW .. Last year all 4 final 4 goalies were from the Dub and this year with Brent Sutter having final say the likelihood of a heavy dose of WHL goaltending is a strong possibility IMO

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Alter Haudegen said:
Earth on Mess! :cry: Yes, Price only faced 21 shots more than Pogge, but in 5 games less! Pogge is facing an average of 21 shots per game, while Price is facing an average of 33. From Pogge's 4 shutouts, one was a 12 save, one a 13 save and one a 18 save game. Again, I'm not saying that Price should make it and Pogge not, nor that he is the better goaltender (on the contrary, I think that Pogge is underrated and Price is overrated), but to compare the Hitmen (a WHL powerhouse) to the Ams (a cellar-dweller) is not fair. I think most people will tell you that the Hitmen have probably the best defense in the Dub (together with the Vancouver Giants) and the Ams have one of the worst.
I enter the following docs into evidence ..

Pogge opening scouts' eyes

'HE IS A CANDIDATE'

"It's wide open, but he is a candidate," Hockey Canada program of excellence director and head scout Blair Mackasey said. "There are five or six goalies in the mix overall and a lot will be determined down the stretch."

Canada will name its 32-player camp roster (four goalies, 10 defencemen and 18 forwards) on Dec. 5. The camp in Vancouver begins on Dec. 11 and breaks on the 16th, with a final 22-player roster. Canada opens against Finland on Dec. 26.

Entering last night's game against the Kootenay Ice, Pogge led the WHL with a 1.66 goals-against average, was tied for first in wins (13) and shutouts (three) and was sixth with a .920 save percentage.

http://torontosun.com/Sports/Hockey/2005/11/11/1302126-sun.html
or
Calgary's Pogge, win weekly CHL awards
Canadian Press - Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Toronto — The Canadian Hockey League named the Calgary Hitmen's Justin Pogge its goaltender of the week on Tuesday

Pogge, a 19-year-old native of Penticton, B.C., went 3-0 with wins over the Moose Jaw Warriors, Medicine Hat Tigers and a shutout over the Kamloops Blazers.

He allowed only two goals on 62 shots for a .968 save percentage.
That is the kind of play that gets you noticed IMO for the WJC..

Last edited:

Kamsa

Jun 18, 2004
HAHAHA, why on earth are they going to chase? I feel sorry for them now.

Towelie*

Mess said:
What does the 2003-04 or 2004-05 seasons have to do with anything ??

The Brent Sutter is going to select the best players playing this year, they are not going to go back to when he was 17-18 years old and compare stats from then.

This year is all that counts since its this years team they are selecting ??

BTW .. Last year all 4 final 4 goalies were from the Dub and this year with Brent Sutter having final say the likelihood of a heavy dose of WHL goaltending is a strong possibility IMO

I think you missed the argument, or ignored it. The past stats suggest that Pogges ability and stats may be inflated and thus overrated. Unless you think Pogge had some sort of epifamy the day he got trade to the Hitmen. Just look at the stats, open your eyes.

Pogge went from a 891% in 24 GP to a 917% later in that exact same season! It would be comical for you to deny that Pogges stats are not inflated. Could he have improved? Yes, thats a variable non of us can debate, however it is equally undebateable that the Hitmens awesome lineup has inflated Pogges stats.

Pogges faces a very low shots against of about 19.7! Julien Ellis plays for a team with a TERRIBLE defence and yet puts up similar, and far better Stats last year. Secondly, Ellis plays in the offensive minded QMJHL.

So you just completely ignore last years stats? I agree, this year is more important, however does consistency not mean something?

Pogge plays on the better team, but don't kid yourself, Julien Ellis is the better goalie. QMJHL goalie of the year means something....

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Comfortably Numb said:
I think you missed the argument, or ignored it. The past stats suggest that Pogges ability and stats may be inflated and thus overrated. Unless you think Pogge had some sort of epifamy the day he got trade to the Hitmen. Just look at the stats, open your eyes.

Pogge went from a 891% in 24 GP to a 917% later in that exact same season! It would be comical for you to deny that Pogges stats are not inflated. Could he have improved? Yes, thats a variable non of us can debate, however it is equally undebateable that the Hitmens awesome lineup has inflated Pogges stats.

Pogges faces a very low shots against of about 19.7! Julien Ellis plays for a team with a TERRIBLE defence and yet puts up similar, and far better Stats last year. Secondly, Ellis plays in the offensive minded QMJHL.

So you just completely ignore last years stats? I agree, this year is more important, however does consistency not mean something?

Pogge plays on the better team, but don't kid yourself, Julien Ellis is the better goalie. QMJHL goalie of the year means something....
But he went from 17 to 18 to 19 years old during that time ... With propects that makes a huge difference in development ..

I didn't say he would make it but he has caught the attention of the selection committee

The key point here is that any players CHL stats is not what is used to determine who makes the team .. Its his play, and now its up to him to perform well by his own play THIS YEAR in tourneys and WJC selection camp and then go from there ..

I am not excluding Ellis he has the same opportunity as any other as well ..

The only thing that I said is that Price is not playing very well and as a WHL season ticket holder I have the opportunity to see him with my own eyes to form that opinion ..

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Mess said:
But he went from 17 to 18 to 19 years old during that time ... With propects that makes a huge differnence in development ..

I didn't say he would make it but he has caught the attention of the selection committee and now its up to him to perform well by his own play THIS YEAR in tourneys and WJC selection camp and then go from there ..

I am not excluding Ellis he has the same opportunity as any other as well ..

The only thing that I said is that Price is not playing very well and as a WHL season ticket holder I have the opportunity to see him with my own eyes to form that opinion ..

Well you've been knocking the Price pick since the Habs drafted him so... :dunno:

Either way...he's played quite well the last couple of weeks and seems to have found his groove, as hard as that is behind that horrible, stinking, excuse for a team Tri City...and you use the fact that Pogge went from 17 to 18 to 19 during his time in the WHL, which is a valid argument, but wouldn't that also apply to Price?

Vinland

Dec 3, 2004
King of Vinland
Colt.45Orr said:
Versteeg may be in the mix. you heard it here first. :D

I will fall off my chair if he is included. To much a me me player who has locker room issues.
The big hope is that he will mature by the time he turns pro.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad