Team Canada WJC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
The locks appear to be:

Goal: Price. (Dubnyk will have the inside track on No. 2, but he's the main reason that Canada didn't win the 2003 Junior World Cup, the only time that hasn't happened since 1995).
Defence: Barker, M. Staal and Bourdon will make an impressive top 3. Not as good as last year's top three, but still they'll dominate. Parent will likely be No. 4, and it's a crapshoot for the final three spots.
Forward: Pouliot, Latendresse, Chipchura, O'Marra, Bourret, Bolland, McGrath. Brule would likely be the best player on the team if he's recovered from his injury and Columbus lets him play. Colorado will likely let Wolski play, and he would make a strong addition to the second line. I would bring in Jordan Staal and Jonathan Toews. Toews, in particular, has proven himself to be a winner at every level, and he has some offensive upside, too. Staal has been outstanding so far this year in the OHL. My final two picks are Cogliano and Bertram, as they have plenty of speed and skill, and I think the international style of play is tailor-made for them. Setoguchi will also be in the mix.

My pick for captain right now would be Chipchura. He's the one with the strongest leadership abilities. Barker would get an A as the only returning veteran from last year, and maybe a guy like O'Marra could get the other letter.

It's certainly not as strong of a team as what we sent last year. But talent is there, Crosby's likely going to be the only eligible player who won't be there, and they will have the advantage of a raucus home ice crowd. And Brent Sutter, the best coach currently not in the NHL (outside of Brian Kilrea) is at the helm again. That means the systems that worked so well in terms of camp and team building will be in tact. This team should still be good enough to beat the U.S.

Avery4Byng*

ajsonor said:
Any Change Mike Card orf Kelowna makes it? He seems to have developed nicely and would appear to be eligible at quick glance.

I think he should at least be gonig to camp. A smooth puck-moving Dman who is not afraid to join the rush..... Another guy who has been to a few Memorial Cups and has won one..... Definately not a favorite of those around here posting lineups, but time will tell.

God Bless Canada said:
The locks appear to be:

Goal: Price. (Dubnyk will have the inside track on No. 2, but he's the main reason that Canada didn't win the 2003 Junior World Cup, the only time that hasn't happened since 1995).

Seeing as it how it was Julien Ellis-Plante in goal for the semi-final loss at the Junior World Cup, I'm not sure why it's Dubnyk's fault they didn't win.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Doomsday Device said:
Seeing as it how it was Julien Ellis-Plante in goal for the semi-final loss at the Junior World Cup, I'm not sure why it's Dubnyk's fault they didn't win.
Dubnyk did not play well in that tournament. That's why he wasn't in net for the semi-final loss. It really dropped his stock for the 2004 Draft. I talked with one NHL scout afterwards who was none-too-thrilled about Dubnyk's Junior World Cup play.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Could someone explain to me why Carey Price is a "lock" ?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
zeke said:
Could someone explain to me why Carey Price is a "lock" ?
I agree, Plante outplayed him at the camp, id also like to say that Price looked very average at the last u18's.

God Bless Canada said:
Dubnyk did not play well in that tournament. That's why he wasn't in net for the semi-final loss. It really dropped his stock for the 2004 Draft. I talked with one NHL scout afterwards who was none-too-thrilled about Dubnyk's Junior World Cup play.

He didn't have a stellar tournament, but I just didn't agree with blaming him for Canada not winning the tournament when he didn't even get a chance to play in the crucial game since Ellis-Plante was actually the number 1 goaltender. And I'll point out that the one game he did play in the round-robin, he won against Switzerland and made 32 saves.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
Lots of people are mentioning Wolski, but isn't he from Poland? Or is he the same story as like Heatley and Regher, born in a different country and spent his whole life in Canada?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
therealdeal said:
Lots of people are mentioning Wolski, but isn't he from Poland? Or is he the same story as like Heatley and Regher, born in a different country and spent his whole life in Canada?
Hes the same story moved here at a young age.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
WJC 2006 Roster Prediction - "Team Canada"

Forwards (14): D. Boyd, G. Brule, D. Bolland, K. Chipchura, K. Chucko, B. Comeau, G. Latendresse, B. Little, E. McGrath, R. O'Marra, B. Pouliot, D. Setoguchi, J. Toews, W. Wolski

Defence (7): C. Barker, L. Bourdon, W. O'Neil, R. Parent, A. Rogers, J. Schultz, M. Staal

Goal (3): D. Dubnyk, J. Ellis-Plante, C. Price

:cheers:

Asiaoil

Vperod Bizona!
May 3, 2002
Visit site
gars59 said:
do you know that carey price play for the worst team of whl , he have no defense in front of him and received 40+ shot each game :shakehead

Actually Price is seeing almost exactly 30 shots per game and quality of the team in front of a tender has a limited impact on SP - otherwise Brodeur would outperform Luongo in terms of SP on a regular basis and that does not happen. It's pretty simple - good goalies stop more shots than bad goalies and there is lots of analysis on this site to back that up (so I'm not starting this issue up again - no way - no how).

Carrie Price has talent AND is playing very poorly - worst GAA amoung regular starters in the WHL (>4.5) and a terrible SP (.856). I don't know if the new rules are affecting him or something else is wrong - but you can't blame the team on numbers that bad - maybe someone who sees him regularly can say what's going on.

As for Plante being a far superior goalie than DD - not even worth a comment :shakehead

Greg7

Feb 5, 2004
On Price: I've seen the numbers, and they aren't pretty. The guy is obviously not having a good start. Having said that, I saw Tri-City last night and wow, they are AWFUL. Quality chances left and right, point blank shots, turnovers at the blueline galore, everything. According to Ams fans, this is the way the team has been playing thus far this season, and I have to believe that's playing at least some part in Price's numbers. Unfortunately he got a rare night off last night so I didn't get to see him, but I would wager that he is not as bad as his numbers suggest (although clearly still not very good at all - no matter how bad a defense is, those are terrible numbers). Tri-City doesn't come back until February, so I won't see Price again until the WJ camp, and in all likelihood the tournament as well, but I've had a lot of opportunities in the past to see Price and he is the real deal if you ask me. He will have to play his way out off the WJ team, and although if he keeps this up he might, I'm fully confident he'll turn it around.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
Was wondering if Kris Chucko is a lock.

Just thinking ahead. The gophers have Hagemo, Wheeler, Frazee and Kessel all pretty much going for sure. Add in Chucko and the gophers will be looking for walk ons come tourney time. I am almost positive that Michagen has the record for most from one team. Cant remember how many though.

Greg7

Feb 5, 2004
MN_Gopher said:
Was wondering if Kris Chucko is a lock.

Just thinking ahead. The gophers have Hagemo, Wheeler, Frazee and Kessel all pretty much going for sure. Add in Chucko and the gophers will be looking for walk ons come tourney time. I am almost positive that Michagen has the record for most from one team. Cant remember how many though.
Definitely not a lock, but he has a decent chance. He'll be at the camp, and he's one of the 10 or 12 guys I'd say that will be fighting for the last 5 or 6 forward spots. I liked his summer camp though.

aspin

Sep 13, 2002
Regina
Visit site
Attica said:
there is no way Dubnyk makes the WJC team above Ellis, Ellis is by far the superior tender.

You have to be kidding me. Dubnyk started off the year slow but he did that last year as well. Last year he was inbelievable and he is rounding into form again and was the 2nd star that last two games again.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Last Season

Dubnyk: 65gms, 23-34-7, 2.69gaa, .912sv%, 6so
Price: 63gms, 24-31-8., 2.34gaa, .920sv%, 8so
Ellis: 69gms, 27-21-11, 2.41gaa, .921sv%, 4so
Pogge: 53gms, 24-21-4, 2.50gaa, .907sv%, 6so (2.29gaa, .917sv% w/CAL)

This Season

Dubnyk: 12gms, 7-5-0, 2.24gaa, .906sv%, 0so
Price: 7gms, 1-5-0, 4.48gaa, .862sv%, 0so
Ellis: 13gms, 7-4, 2.89gaa, .913sv%, 1so
Pogge: 12gms, 9-3-0, 1.72gaa, .909sv%, 3so

Since Pogge was traded in the middle of last year, he's been as good or better than any of these guys, including this season, where he's already got three shutouts.

Alter Haudegen

Dec 7, 2004
zeke said:
Last Season

This Season

Since Pogge was traded in the middle of last year, he's been as good or better than any of these guys, including this season, where he's already got three shutouts.

Yes his last was an incredible 12 save shutout against Dubnyks Blazers (33 saves). Actually Dubnyk was second star, while Pogge got third star. :sarcasm:

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
zeke said:
Last Season

This Season

Ellis Plante plays in a higher scoring league, and basically has no defense infront of him. He basically is that team.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
excuses, excuses.

Calgary wasn't all that last season, and Pogge was great for them last season too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad