Team Canada WJC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

espo*

it looks like we'll be down quite a few impact players.Crosby,Brule,Barker......someone else too if i'm not mistaken.
we'll be competitive as always but Gold is looking tougher and tougher with each guy who makes an nhl squad who is eligible.The U.S and Russia will ice formidable squads and finland could be in the hunt too.Gonna be tough.,

MrMastodonFarm*

Jul 5, 2004
J17ster said:
Canada isnt gonna be as strong as it has been in the last few years. But then that wont stop them.
When you put together a list of possible players Canada is still going to have a very strong team. But it won't be has hyped as last years.

orangeandblack

Nov 27, 2004
philadelphia
looks like usa might be the head of the class for the next 2 tournaments. it looks like we'll have ryan, skille, schremp, johnson, and bourque this year. we could possibly not have some of those 87s and kessel and maybe mueller next year, bc they might be in the nhl.

Alberta Yote

Owns the Yotes
Dec 31, 2004
In your kitchen
orangeandblack said:
looks like usa might be the head of the class for the next 2 tournaments. it looks like we'll have ryan, skille, schremp, johnson, and bourque this year. we could possibly not have some of those 87s and kessel and maybe mueller next year, bc they might be in the nhl.

Wheeler :)

BigAl

Oct 3, 2002
Visit site
TransportedUpstater said:
Jordan Staal on the U-20's???

Sure.....Little and Toews could make it too. There has even been talk of young Esposito making the squad. I'd be surprised if Tavares made it......don't think that will happen.

Transported Upstater

BigAl said:
Sure.....Little and Toews could make it too. There has even been talk of young Esposito making the squad. I'd be surprised if Tavares made it......don't think that will happen.

Toews, after what he's done for Team Canada's U-18's, should be there IMO.

Don't know much about Little.

Do you have to be part of the U-18's before you are part of the U-20's? I don't think there is any way a 15-year old Tavares will be allowed onto the U-20's.

Esposito may, but he's lucky he's not a year older, because no way would he have made the U-20 "Dream Team."

Lessy

Jul 21, 2004
Sudbury
I can't see Jordan Staal making the U20s this year, would be very surprised if it happened. I think Canada will be a strong team as it is virtually ever year but not nearly as good as they were last year.

Greg7

Feb 5, 2004
16 year olds rarely make the team (Gretzky, Lindros, Spezza, Bouwmeester, Crosby are the only ones who ever have), and I'd be shocked if Esposito even got remotely close to making it. Right now it's looking something like this:

in goal:
Price
Dubnyk
Ellis has a very outside chance if he plays great or if one of Price or Dubnyk get hurt or really suck before Christmas.

defense:
Barker (is he back from Chicago yet? in any case, he'll be at the WJs, even if he's still with the Blackhawks, which is unlikely)
Fistric
Bourdon
Staal
Parent
two of Rogers, Mikkelson, Jackson, and anyone who has a great start to the year

up front:
Chipchura
Bolland
Brule (who should be back with the Giants after he recovers from his broken sternum)
Pouliot
McCardle
Boyd
Latendresse
Wolski (if the Avs release him, which I expect they will if they haven't sent him back to junior)
then 5 more of these guys (in what I think is the approximate order of their likelihood of making it): Little, Comeau (I really think he should be on this team), Bourret, O'Marra, Bass (I bet Sutter loves this guy and he fills the 4th line centre spot nicely), Chucko, Bertram.
Some other guys who could make a case for themselves if they have good starts to the season include Setoguchi, McGrath, Cogliano, Pyatt, Toews, and probably a few others I've missed.

This is all subject to change because of injuries and how guys start the season, and a couple checker/grinder types probably need to be added, but the team should look something like that. Whole lot of 87s in that group.

Greg7

Feb 5, 2004
Also, Little is a late 87 not an 88 like Toews and Staal (and Hamill for that matter, who probably has as good of a chance as Staal). There probably won't be any 17 year olds on the team this year, although if one of those guys has a great start you never know.

Hedberg

MLD Glue Guy
Jan 9, 2005
BC, Canada
My Guess:

Goal: Carey Price, Devin Dubynk
Defence: Cam Barker, Luc Bourdon, Mark Fistric, Ryan Parent, Andy Rogers, Brendan Mikkelson, Marc Staal
Forwards: Daniel Bertram, David Bolland, Alex Bourret, Gilbert Brule (I'm guessing he will be returned to Junior), Kyle Chipchura, Andrew Cogliano, Guillaume Latendresse, Kendall McCardell, Blake Comeau, Bryan Little, Ryan O'Marra, Benoit Pouliot, Michael Blunden

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Greg7 said:
Some other guys who could make a case for themselves if they have good starts to the season include Setoguchi, McGrath, Cogliano, Pyatt, Toews, and probably a few others I've missed.

Well Mcgrath has arguably been the best player in the CHL so far this year, so I think he's definitely making a case for himself.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
Slight correction bout JM he plays in the OHL not CHL, but you are quite correct about his having a great start.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad