team canada wjc selection camp announced.

Status
Not open for further replies.

thestonedkoala

Thank you La-La-Laparise...

Harding is a good goaltender, needs some work still but is good when he sees a lot of shots. He'll be a number 1 goaltender for sure for the Wild. Is kind of small at 6'1" and 165 lbs. I don't put him past Ward, I put him about par or a little under Ward actually. He's on a bad team that doesn't get a lot of press. Nothing against Regina, since they produced a bunch of great guys but right now they have a bit of a weak defensive team.

thestonedkoala

DutchLeafsfan said:
Benoit made a good impression at the Leafs camp. However he didn't get a conract since the Leafs already have prospects like Hedin, White, Colaiacovo, Bell, etc.

I would like Benoit on the Wild actually :D

thestonedkoala

NAME TEAM GPI MINS SHOT GA SO Ave. SV% Wins Losses Ties

Josh Harding Regina Pats 25 1484 808 63 1 2.550 0.922 10 13 2

Harding is seening the most shots out of the top 20 goalies for the WHL and is number 11 overall...

frosty

Feb 27, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
I can't believe Williams, 2nd leading scorer in the whl and highest ppg in the whl, is out when players like Colliton and Courchaine are on the team. Thats disgusting. :mad:

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
frosty said:
I can't believe Williams, 2nd leading scorer in the whl and highest ppg in the whl, is out when players like Colliton and Courchaine are on the team. Thats disgusting. :mad:

I guess you know what Q fans have been feelin for the last 5-6 years :)

leafaholix*

frosty said:
Jeremy Colliton is the better two way player... he may pull of what Matthew Stajan did last year.

Courchaine's a very similar player to Kyle Wellwood... nifty with the puck, but his skating is very average. Not much speed at all.

I would give Colliton the nod before Williams... Courchaine's selection is questionable.

O.T.

Mar 9, 2002
City of Champions
Visit site
Big Deaner said:
I disagree. I think Ward or Harding could easilythrive as the starting goalies for team Canada. Havent seen Harding as much but Ward has really impressed me over the last few years.

If you read my whole post you would have read that personally I think that team Canada made the right decision for the goaltenders. And I too like Ward, although I don't think he is going to make it. Here is the depth chart how I see it for the goaltenders after the camp.

1.A) Deslaurier
1.B) Harding
(I think they will be even, and each play a game at the begining of the WJC, and they will decide who starts from there)

3. Ward
4. Daignault
(Although I predict these two to be cut, I think either one of them has the capabilities to surprise me)

Of course these predictions are if Fleury is not released.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
O.T. said:
If you read my whole post you would have read that personally I think that team Canada made the right decision for the goaltenders. And I too like Ward, although I don't think he is going to make it. Here is the depth chart how I see it for the goaltenders after the camp.

1.A) Deslaurier
1.B) Harding
(I think they will be even, and each play a game at the begining of the WJC, and they will decide who starts from there)

3. Ward
4. Daignault
(Although I predict these two to be cut, I think either one of them has the capabilities to surprise me)

Of course these predictions are if Fleury is not released.

Deslauriers sucks man, when are people going to wake up and realize this.

He has coasted along for the last 2 years on his hype and size alone. He lost the starting job to a 16 year old, how do you expect him to be #1 for Canada?

Reactions: LeProspector

leafaholix*

Anfernic said:
No M-A Pouliot and no Steve Bernier and no Corey Locke

Sh*t what is the f*ck with the selection, these three deserved to be there a lot more than some other guys like Daniel Paille
Daniel Paille will be one of the leaders on the team... he'll most likely get the 'C'.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
A question for those in the know.

Assuming that no players currently in the NHL are added to the team.

Which of the 34 players invited to the selection camp would you consider to be locks to make the team ??

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
go pierre hedin said:
Daniel Paille will be one of the leaders on the team... he'll most likely get the 'C'.

I bet Paille takes the captaincy too. It's virtually a guarnatee.

If White plays, he'll get an A, as will Max Talbot most likely.

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
John Flyers Fan said:
A question for those in the know.

Assuming that no players currently in the NHL are added to the team.

Which of the 34 players invited to the selection camp would you consider to be locks to make the team ??

Ok, well, I'll go over it systematically...

The goalies is up in the air. While I would be amazed if neither of Harding or Deslauriers makes it, it's hardly a sure thing for either player.

On defence, Coburn, Phaneuf and White (should he be healthy) are locks. I'd be amazed if Brent Seabrook does not make it, but he's not a lock. Other than that, it's mostly up in the air.

Up front, Dan Paille is a lock. Jeff Carter, Anthony Stewart, Mike Richards, Jeff Tambellini, Corey Perry, Ryan Getzlaf and probably Crosby are all guys I'd consider locks to make the team. I would be surprised if Maxime Talbot does not make the team, the same for Eric Fehr.

That's how I view it. That being said, ask me a week ago, and Cam Barker, Steve Bernier and Corey Locke all would have been on my invitee list, most likely my final roster, so it's hard to say.

O.T.

Mar 9, 2002
City of Champions
Visit site
La-La-Laprise said:

He has coasted along for the last 2 years on his hype and size alone. He lost the starting job to a 16 year old, how do you expect him to be #1 for Canada?

Have you ever even really watched him for more than two games? Or are you just going by stats like so many people do? Remember stats are very misleading for goaltenders playing in the Q.

I've seen Deslauriers play over 10 times, none of those for the weak Chicoutimi team that he currently belongs to, but rather prospects games and Oilers training camp.

Well he might not be able to make his Q team win every night, he surely does keep them in many games. From what I've seen of him, he has huge upside, and when he plays for an average-above average team he is simply great. Both training camps that he has been with the Oilers he has been one of the best goaltenders in camp. He was as good as any goalie in camp the last two years, and has a knack for making the huge save when the game is on the line. He is a great goalie to watch because when you think that it is a sure goal, he somehow sticks out a leg or makes a superb glove save.

He does however need to work on 5 hole, seeing through traffic, and also scramles infront. But I believe that if he makes the team, many people will be surprised just how good he really is.

Hitman*

A Paille, Colliton, Getzlaf combo would make an excellent grind line for the tourny. All have offensive punch but can be most effective in shut-down roles. Paille is (should be) a lock, Getzlaf has an excellent chance and should be there too, but with Colliton, I would know why he's there and he's still a good player, but I wouldn't care if he wasn't on the team.

Rahan

May 27, 2003
Chicoutimi
Visit site
La-La-Laprise said:

Yes, thank you, finally. He just doesn't seem to be able to see plays in the making. All he has is reflexes and size.

Also, I'll be upset if M-A Bernier doesn't make it. He's really talented, I rate him above Steve Bernier in my book.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I don't know, maybe it's me, but since the chances of seeing a franchise goalie on the Canadian roster this year are very remote, you'd think they would want the most offensive potential possible. I think it's pretty sad that Locke once again got snubbed but I guess that's the way the hockey establishment wants it...they want smallish skill players such as Locke to continuously earn everything they get. Meanwhile, the big power forward gets a free ride to the NHL just because he's big. Not singling anyone out on this year's selection camp but just talking about the prevailing stigma that comes with being a smaller player.

Simon Gamache may in fact be the EXCEPTION and not the rule when all is said and done, and even then he might still have a shot at developing into an NHLer. Meanwhile, look at guys like Briere and St. Louis and how they've evolved into all-star talents. However, it only takes one high-scoring smallish player to struggle for the stigma to once again rear its ugly head. Sad, really.

Dr_Chimera*

Well, after losing to the bigger, tougher Russians last year, Canada doesn't want déjà vu. Hence the snub of Locke and the such.
Bernier's snub is no surprise to me - he got some heat for being out of shape at the draft and is having a so-so season.

I hope Maxime Talbot makes the team. Either way, a very good-looking roster.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
rahan said:
Yes, thank you, finally. He just doesn't seem to be able to see plays in the making. All he has is reflexes and size.

Also, I'll be upset if M-A Bernier doesn't make it. He's really talented, I rate him above Steve Bernier in my book.

Well i think Jeff DD is running out of lives in Chicoutimi. Vincent is badly outplaying him.

I dont think Jeff is a really bad goalie but he just isnt as good as all the hype that surround him.

Also about MA Bernier, i dont think he will make the team...there are no bigger MA Bernier fans than myself but i just see it tough for him to crack the 13 forwards.

I think the only Q players making the team will be Talbot and Crosby, Gervais could be the #7 dman.

Ward and Harding will be in nets.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
This has to be one of the worst crop of forwards iv seen at the world junior selection camp in years, just who do they think is going to put the puck in the net. Most forwards on that roster are role players with the exception of tamberllenni Murray, Crosby and Carter. It's great to see the CSA step backwards in terms of taking the top talented team. I just don't get why guys like Bernier, Locke and Pouliot are not on this team sp. I thought that the CSA would have learned about taking to many role players from last years tournament. What happened to the addage of taking the most skilled team to the tournament. Im not likeing are chances of scoring goals this year. What this roster tells me is that there relying on a 16 year old and two recently drafted 18 year olds to lead there offense. Thats absolute suicide. Thank you once again Canada for picking the worst possible crop of forwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad