team canada wjc selection camp announced.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doug Evinou

Jan 25, 2003
Hamilton
Visit site
RangerBoy said:
Nigel Dawes :D

Corey Locke doesn't make the cut. I think he lost a lot of fans at last years camp.

Ben Eager, Tyler Redenbach and Jeremy Williams all get snubbed after strong performances against the Russian selects.

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
Doug Evinou said:

The three most notable omissions are Cam Barker, Steve Bernier and Corey Locke.

Barker is amazing because he's a likely top 5 pick this year, and is scoring close to a point a game in the WHL this year.

Bernier has had a poor season, although I'm surprised Marc-Andre Bernier has been invited but Steve Bernier has not been.

Possibly the most unbelievable is Locke though. CHL Player of the Year last year, hardly having a poor season considering how weak a team he is playing on this season.

CharlieGirl

Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site
A couple of surprises on the list as well -- Andre Benoit from Kitchener has been invited (I don't think he'll make the team except on a PP unit - he leads all OHL defensemen in points).

Corey Locke wasn't asked to join the fun. He didn't play extremely well against the Russians (and, in fact, avoided every red jersey he came near). Team Canada officials said they wanted bigger, stronger players -Locke doesn't fit that mold. I'm not overly surprised by him not making the team, but I did expect him to be invited to the selection camp.

Cayouche5

Mar 9, 2003
Visit site
Well looks like the habs won't a have any player
Even if I think Urquhart and Lambert deserve to be there more than Dixon.
I thought Locke deserve at least a Invitation to the camp.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Why are so many people up Locke's ass?

Sure he is a great player, but remember all the bashers against Simon Gamache, they predominatly came from the OHL and WHL fans.

Gamache and Locke are the exact same player, they are both great, but neither will play in international tourny's.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
JasonMacIsaac said:
I think not, Dixon can be used in any situation, checking line, offensive line, pp, sh. He is very versitile.

I dont think hes that good defensivly.

Talbot and Crosby will be the only Q players to make the team. Goalies suck.

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
La-La-Laprise said:
Why are so many people up Locke's ass?

Sure he is a great player, but remember all the bashers against Simon Gamache, they predominatly came from the OHL and WHL fans.

Gamache and Locke are the exact same player, they are both great, but neither will play in international tourny's.

There's a difference between what Locke did and has done in the OHL compared to what Gamache did in the QMJHL. Believe me, I've watched both leagues extensively, having grown up in Ottawa (Hull/Gatineau right there), I know that guys like Gamache are hardly a rare commodity in the Q. But in the OHL, what Locke did, was simply unbelievable. I mean, Locke was the first OHL player to win the CHL Top Scorer award since Marc Savard in 94-95.

I've watched guys like Pavel Rosa, Christian Dube, Martin Menard and Ales Hemsky come through Hull, and guys like Locke, Alyn McCauley, Mark Bell, Dan Tessier, Miguel Delisle and Matt Foy come through Ottawa. Of the players mentioned, only Hemsky has the playmaking skills to match Locke.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Hossa said:
There's a difference between what Locke did and has done in the OHL compared to what Gamache did in the QMJHL. Believe me, I've watched both leagues extensively, having grown up in Ottawa (Hull/Gatineau right there), I know that guys like Gamache are hardly a rare commodity in the Q. But in the OHL, what Locke did, was simply unbelievable. I mean, Locke was the first OHL player to win the CHL Top Scorer award since Marc Savard in 94-95.

I've watched guys like Pavel Rosa, Christian Dube, Martin Menard and Ales Hemsky come through Hull, and guys like Locke, Alyn McCauley, Mark Bell, Dan Tessier, Miguel Delisle and Matt Foy come through Ottawa. Of the players mentioned, only Hemsky has the playmaking skills to match Locke.

My point was that both are small and neither can skate up to par for Team Canada.

How many slow small guys do you see on Team Canada?

And exactly how many 180+ point men has the Q seen in the last 7 years?? It isnt exactly common place in the Q anymore.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
BOOOOOO Canada always pisses me off with their selections. I didn't think Locke would make the team, but I'm really surprised they didn't invite him to the selection camp. Their aren't many better playmakers in the CHL, but we'll see what the team does in only a few weeks.

I would have liked to see Urquhart or Lambert get invited. Lambert was one of the top scorers for the U-18 team two years ago and has been one of the top scorers in the Q not named Crosby. With a Q coach this year, I thought they might of had a chance.

But I'm still pissed from last year when Milroy got cut. :mad:

Anfernic

Feb 19, 2003
Quebec city
Visit site
No M-A Pouliot and no Steve Bernier and no Corey Locke

Sh*t what is the f*ck with the selection, these three deserved to be there a lot more than some other guys like Daniel Paille

O.T.

Mar 9, 2002
City of Champions
Visit site
What do you guys think is going to happen with the goalies?

All the goalies play on sub .500 teams, so do you think that this camp will prove that a few of these goalies can't carry a team to becoming a winner. Or will it do the opposite, and prove that these goalies can play great when they have a half decent team infront of them?

Personally I am pulling for Deslauriers and Harding to make the team, and let them battle it out for the starting position.

On a side note, do you think that the Penguins are going to release Fleury and then send him back to junior after the WJC? Or now that they saved money on the Straka trade, can they afford to keep Fleury up for the entire season. Also in order for Fleury to be named to the Canadian team, he has to be released to attend the camp too, does'nt he. Or am I wrong?

Go Canada!

O.T.

Mar 9, 2002
City of Champions
Visit site
JasonMacIsaac said:
I thought Houle should at least got an invite. Not enough publicity.

I think politics might have played into the decision of not inviting Houle. Because if Canada invited him, they would have 3 netminders from the QMJHL. Obviously they think that Deslauriers and Daignault are better than Houle, so either they think Ward and Harding are too, or they just did'nt want to invite 3 QMJHL goalies, 1 WHL, 0 OHL.

If I had to not take one of these goalies to camp, in order for Houle to be there I would have probably left Ward off the list. But IMO I would rather have these four goalies in the camp than Houle, so I think Canada made the best selections.

Big Deaner

Mar 6, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
O.T. said:
I think politics might have played into the decision of not inviting Houle. Because if Canada invited him, they would have 3 netminders from the QMJHL. Obviously they think that Deslauriers and Daignault are better than Houle, so either they think Ward and Harding are too, or they just did'nt want to invite 3 QMJHL goalies, 1 WHL, 0 OHL.

If I had to not take one of these goalies to camp, in order for Houle to be there I would have probably left Ward off the list. But IMO I would rather have these four goalies in the camp than Houle, so I think Canada made the best selections.

I disagree. I think Ward or Harding could easilythrive as the starting goalies for team Canada. Havent seen Harding as much but Ward has really impressed me over the last few years.

thestonedkoala

What's up with Benoit? Why wasn't he drafted? He's putting up a ton of points. I can see two things, he's smallish for a defensemen and he was knocked out for 8 games...

CharlieGirl

Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site
thestonedkoala said:
What's up with Benoit? Why wasn't he drafted? He's putting up a ton of points. I can see two things, he's smallish for a defensemen and he was knocked out for 8 games...
Benoit came into his own towards the end of last year, and this year - he is a lot stronger in the corners and in front of the net than he was previously. I think he learned a lot as an invitee at the Leaf's camp this year.

I'm not sure which 8 games you're referring to -- unless I'm missing something, he hasn't been injured.....

thestonedkoala

Now the London Knights captain will see if the apology carries any weight with the OHL.

The league is reviewing an incident involving Bois in last Sunday's game with Kitchener that left Rangers defenceman Andre Benoit with 16 stitches in his forehead.

Bois wasn't called for a penalty.

Ted Baker, the OHL's director of hockey operations, said he has seen the tape and received a written statement from Bois, who says what happened was an accident.

"We hope to be able to be in a position (today) to make a decision," Baker said. "You try to be as expeditious as possible, but we also have to make sure we have all the information we require."

Bois spoke with Benoit at the John Labatt Centre before Benoit left with Team OHL for its Canada-Russia Challenge game in Sarnia. The OHL team had been based in London since Sunday night.

"I told him that it was unintentional and I was sorry," said Bois, 20.

"He said he appreciated me getting hold of him. Obviously, he wouldn't be happy, but I hope he realizes I didn't try to hurt him."

The video from the Rogers Television telecast shows Bois dropping on top of Benoit, 19, who had been hooked to the ice by the Knights' Logan Hunter. Hunter was penalized

What follows next is Bois' stick driving Benoit's face into the ice. The force of the impact resulted in a pressure cut to Benoit's forehead.

"He'd crossed our blue-line with the puck and I was coming across from the other side to hit him," Bois said of what he wrote to the OHL.

"A couple feet before we connected, he got hooked down by Logan. I was coming pretty quick and I tried to stop by using his body, almost like a blocker."

Bois said assistant coach Jacques Beaulieu told him "the tape doesn't look good. Jacques was saying his helmet had come off and I pushed his head down, but it was totally accidental.

"I tried to stop on him and it turned into an ugly situation. I would have liked to hit him -- that's part of the game, but when he went down, I tried to not to make a big collision.

"I'm worried it may be misinterpreted. But if the league feels it was inappropriate, I'll have to serve the suspension and learn from it."

Benoit said the OHL training staff retrofitted his helmet so he could play the two games against the Russians.

"I'm just happy it didn't take me out of that," he said.

"I guess the league will handle it in the way they see fit. They do a good job. They have a history of taking care of these incidents."

The Knights, the most-penalized team in the league (averaging 30.6 minutes a game), play Plymouth tomorrow night at the JLC at 7:30 p.m.

There..Errr I guess it was an 8 game suspension but Benoit was injured it looks like.

thestonedkoala

:lol:

That is the funniest thing I ever heard about Harding. He can't carry a team on his back? Talk to anyone that follows Regina and they will tell you Harding is the only thing saving them from humiliating defeats...or it was last year. Jesus he was outshot last year 212 to 47ish something like that and ALMOST PULLED an upset. He can carry a team on his back.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
thestonedkoala said:
:lol:

That is the funniest thing I ever heard about Harding. He can't carry a team on his back? Talk to anyone that follows Regina and they will tell you Harding is the only thing saving them from humiliating defeats...or it was last year. Jesus he was outshot last year 212 to 47ish something like that and ALMOST PULLED an upset. He can carry a team on his back.

Harding perhaps is under rated and isnt surrounded with as much Hype. Perhaps that is why most Team Canada fans arent exactly super confident with the goaltending.

DutchLeafsfan

Jun 3, 2002
Rotterdam, NL
www.gamer.nl
Charlie_Girl49 said:
Benoit came into his own towards the end of last year, and this year - he is a lot stronger in the corners and in front of the net than he was previously. I think he learned a lot as an invitee at the Leaf's camp this year.

I'm not sure which 8 games you're referring to -- unless I'm missing something, he hasn't been injured.....

Benoit made a good impression at the Leafs camp. However he didn't get a conract since the Leafs already have prospects like Hedin, White, Colaiacovo, Bell, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad