team canada wjc selection camp announced.

Discussion in 'NHL Draft - Prospects' started by Doug Evinou, Dec 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
View Users: View Users
  1. Doug Evinou

Doug Evinou Registered User

Home Page:
  2. RangerBoy

RangerBoy TRUST THE PROCESS

Home Page:
  3. Doug Evinou

Doug Evinou Registered User

Home Page:
    Corey Locke doesn't make the cut. I think he lost a lot of fans at last years camp.

Ben Eager, Tyler Redenbach and Jeremy Williams all get snubbed after strong performances against the Russian selects.

4. Hossa

Hossa Registered User

Student of the Game
    Home Page:
    The three most notable omissions are Cam Barker, Steve Bernier and Corey Locke.

Barker is amazing because he's a likely top 5 pick this year, and is scoring close to a point a game in the WHL this year.

Bernier has had a poor season, although I'm surprised Marc-Andre Bernier has been invited but Steve Bernier has not been.

Possibly the most unbelievable is Locke though. CHL Player of the Year last year, hardly having a poor season considering how weak a team he is playing on this season.

5. CharlieGirl

CharlieGirl Thank you Mr. Snider

Home Page:
    A couple of surprises on the list as well -- Andre Benoit from Kitchener has been invited (I don't think he'll make the team except on a PP unit - he leads all OHL defensemen in points).

Corey Locke wasn't asked to join the fun. He didn't play extremely well against the Russians (and, in fact, avoided every red jersey he came near). Team Canada officials said they wanted bigger, stronger players -Locke doesn't fit that mold. I'm not overly surprised by him not making the team, but I did expect him to be invited to the selection camp.

6. Cayouche5

Cayouche5 Registered User

Home Page:
    Well looks like the habs won't a have any player
    Even if I think Urquhart and Lambert deserve to be there more than Dixon.
    I thought Locke deserve at least a Invitation to the camp.

7. LaLaLaprise

LaLaLaprise lalalaprise -twitter

Why are so many people up Locke's ass?

Sure he is a great player, but remember all the bashers against Simon Gamache, they predominatly came from the OHL and WHL fans.

Gamache and Locke are the exact same player, they are both great, but neither will play in international tourny's.

8. Mess

Mess Global Moderator

Home Page:
    Adam Henrich !!!!!!

9. LaLaLaprise

I dont think hes that good defensivly.

Talbot and Crosby will be the only Q players to make the team. Goalies suck.

10. Hossa

Hossa Registered User

Student of the Game
    Home Page:
    There's a difference between what Locke did and has done in the OHL compared to what Gamache did in the QMJHL. Believe me, I've watched both leagues extensively, having grown up in Ottawa (Hull/Gatineau right there), I know that guys like Gamache are hardly a rare commodity in the Q. But in the OHL, what Locke did, was simply unbelievable. I mean, Locke was the first OHL player to win the CHL Top Scorer award since Marc Savard in 94-95.

I've watched guys like Pavel Rosa, Christian Dube, Martin Menard and Ales Hemsky come through Hull, and guys like Locke, Alyn McCauley, Mark Bell, Dan Tessier, Miguel Delisle and Matt Foy come through Ottawa. Of the players mentioned, only Hemsky has the playmaking skills to match Locke.

11. LaLaLaprise

My point was that both are small and neither can skate up to par for Team Canada.

How many slow small guys do you see on Team Canada?

And exactly how many 180+ point men has the Q seen in the last 7 years?? It isnt exactly common place in the Q anymore.

12. montreal

montreal Go Habs Go

BOOOOOO Canada always pisses me off with their selections. I didn't think Locke would make the team, but I'm really surprised they didn't invite him to the selection camp. Their aren't many better playmakers in the CHL, but we'll see what the team does in only a few weeks.

I would have liked to see Urquhart or Lambert get invited. Lambert was one of the top scorers for the U-18 team two years ago and has been one of the top scorers in the Q not named Crosby. With a Q coach this year, I thought they might of had a chance.

But I'm still pissed from last year when Milroy got cut. :mad:

13. Anfernic

Anfernic Registered User

Home Page:
    No M-A Pouliot and no Steve Bernier and no Corey Locke

Sh*t what is the f*ck with the selection, these three deserved to be there a lot more than some other guys like Daniel Paille

14. DutchLeafsfan

DutchLeafsfan Registered User

Aerospace Engineering stu
    Home Page:
    I'd say they could at least have invited a guy who has been red hot lately, has the highest PPG average in the WHL and played very strong vs the Russian selection to the selection camp... :dunno:

15. O.T.

O.T. Registered User

Home Page:
    What do you guys think is going to happen with the goalies?

All the goalies play on sub .500 teams, so do you think that this camp will prove that a few of these goalies can't carry a team to becoming a winner. Or will it do the opposite, and prove that these goalies can play great when they have a half decent team infront of them?

Personally I am pulling for Deslauriers and Harding to make the team, and let them battle it out for the starting position.

On a side note, do you think that the Penguins are going to release Fleury and then send him back to junior after the WJC? Or now that they saved money on the Straka trade, can they afford to keep Fleury up for the entire season. Also in order for Fleury to be named to the Canadian team, he has to be released to attend the camp too, does'nt he. Or am I wrong?

Go Canada!

16. Gee Leafssuck...Do you follow hockey at all?

17. O.T.

O.T. Registered User

Home Page:
    I think politics might have played into the decision of not inviting Houle. Because if Canada invited him, they would have 3 netminders from the QMJHL. Obviously they think that Deslauriers and Daignault are better than Houle, so either they think Ward and Harding are too, or they just did'nt want to invite 3 QMJHL goalies, 1 WHL, 0 OHL.

If I had to not take one of these goalies to camp, in order for Houle to be there I would have probably left Ward off the list. But IMO I would rather have these four goalies in the camp than Houle, so I think Canada made the best selections.

18. Big Deaner

Big Deaner Registered User

Student of the Game
    Home Page:
    I disagree. I think Ward or Harding could easilythrive as the starting goalies for team Canada. Havent seen Harding as much but Ward has really impressed me over the last few years.

19. What's up with Benoit? Why wasn't he drafted? He's putting up a ton of points. I can see two things, he's smallish for a defensemen and he was knocked out for 8 games...

20. CharlieGirl

CharlieGirl Thank you Mr. Snider

Home Page:
    Benoit came into his own towards the end of last year, and this year - he is a lot stronger in the corners and in front of the net than he was previously. I think he learned a lot as an invitee at the Leaf's camp this year.

I'm not sure which 8 games you're referring to -- unless I'm missing something, he hasn't been injured.....

21. There..Errr I guess it was an 8 game suspension but Benoit was injured it looks like.

22. :lol:

That is the funniest thing I ever heard about Harding. He can't carry a team on his back? Talk to anyone that follows Regina and they will tell you Harding is the only thing saving them from humiliating defeats...or it was last year. Jesus he was outshot last year 212 to 47ish something like that and ALMOST PULLED an upset. He can carry a team on his back.

23. LaLaLaprise

Harding perhaps is under rated and isnt surrounded with as much Hype. Perhaps that is why most Team Canada fans arent exactly super confident with the goaltending.

24. LaLaLaprise

He is actually a VERY good goalie. BUT since he isnt as hyped as others the team canada faithful arent as confident with him in nets.

25. DutchLeafsfan

DutchLeafsfan Registered User

Aerospace Engineering stu
    Home Page:
    Benoit made a good impression at the Leafs camp. However he didn't get a conract since the Leafs already have prospects like Hedin, White, Colaiacovo, Bell, etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.