team canada wjc selection camp announced.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lucas

Apr 6, 2003
Visit site
how can ben eager and corey locke not at least get the invite??????

that is disgusting, eager was the best player on the ice against the russians a week or 2 ago, and with his speed and physical play he could have been dominant against all the european teams in the wjc

also, how can the reigning chl player of the year, who is tearing it up again on a terrible ottawa team not get an invite when players who are not much bigger, not much faster, and who don't put up half the points get at least a shot at trying out.

team canada owed it to him to at least give him a look to see if he had adjusted from the summer camp, where i know he stuggled.

we are gonna be in some trouble if fleury isn't loaned to us for sure

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
Marshall said:
"Most forwards on that roster are role players with the exception of tamberllenni Murray, Crosby and Carter."

Fehr isn't a role-player.

IMO, he will be a role-player in the NHL, probably a really good 3rd line winger. If he makes the WJC team it will probably be as a checker/grinder on the 3rd or 4th lines.

HfxMoose

Nov 17, 2003
Halifax, Nova Scotia
I feel pretty confident with the list of players being selected. The goalies may be my only spot of concern but if MAF comes from Pittsburgh there shouldn't be any problem. Defense seems pretty solid. Lots of power and goal scoring ability up front. Nice to see M.A Bernier get selected. Got to see him last year alot when he played with Halifax and this year with CB. I'd like to see him on a line with Crosby. He would open up alot of room for him.

Marshall

A ribbon reflector
Mar 13, 2002
Crystal Koons' cold, dead eyes.
twitter.com
Koltsov said:
IMO, he will be a role-player in the NHL, probably a really good 3rd line winger. If he makes the WJC team it will probably be as a checker/grinder on the 3rd or 4th lines.

IMO, he'll be a 2nd line power forward in the NHL. It seems he's fairly under-rated.

(Any and all who have observed Fehr to any degree, please feel free to chime in with corrections, observations, etc. I get most of my info from a few Brandon posters who pass info along to me.)

Last edited:

CharlieGirl

Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site
surixon said:
This has to be one of the worst crop of forwards iv seen at the world junior selection camp in years, just who do they think is going to put the puck in the net. Most forwards on that roster are role players with the exception of tamberllenni Murray, Crosby and Carter.
Question for you........ just how many of the players named have you seen extensively? A number of the forwards are anything but role players. Who would you have invited to the selection camp?

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
Marshall said:
IMO, he'll be a 2nd line power forward in the NHL. It seems he's fairly under-rated.

(Any and all who have observed Fehr to any degree, please feel free to chime in with corrections, observations, etc. I get most of my info from a few Brandon posters who pass info along to me.)

I'm not under rating him, just being a realist, and I'm also not a Caps fan ;) . IMO he will be a great 3rd line winger that contributes 40-50pts. There is nothing wrong with that at all, I think he will make the NHL I just don't see his upside as highly as you do.

Evil Homer

Jan 18, 2003
Visit site
HabzIsLife said:
our Offense isn't deadly

our D is Sick

our netminding is susupect

doesn't bode well for Team Canada

I agree with your comment about the offense, but the team will be as good as any from the blueline in.

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
Koltsov said:
I'm not under rating him, just being a realist, and I'm also not a Caps fan ;) . IMO he will be a great 3rd line winger that contributes 40-50pts. There is nothing wrong with that at all, I think he will make the NHL I just don't see his upside as highly as you do.

Having seen him on TV about five times, and having researched him a lot (because there was talk the Sens would draft him), I have my own opinion, and I see him on the third line. A great thirdliner can be more valuable than a solid second liner though, so it's hardly something to scoff at.

He kind of reminds me of the player Trevor Linden is right now. The otehr guy he kind of reminds me of is Trent Hunter, who I guess could be a second liner at some point (his hot start does not make him a second liner yet though). He's nothing special though. He's certainly not a guy like Shane Doan or anything.

Kvashinator12

Feb 27, 2002
United States
Visit site
Glad

to see Colliton get the invite, as he was hurt during the summer at the camp. He plays a very hard two way game, and is a good leader on the ice. He is scoring pretty well also coming back from the serious concussion. I am not sure if he will make the team, but Gervais should definitely make the squad.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Very happy to see Marc-Andre Bernier get an invite. The kid has remarkable talent in the goal-scoring department, and he's got good size with decent grit. Very good puck control. Would really bolster Canada's offense if he is added on the team.

Canada's defense looks as good as any other, with guys like Phaneuf and Coburn anchoring the back line. I can't wait to see guys like Jeff Tambellini in action, although I would have liked to see Gilbert Brule get a shot at this selection camp.

~Canucklehead~

nordique

How can Getzlaf not be a lock? He might be the best player in juniors right now, overall.

Kevin Forbes

Jul 29, 2002
Nova Scotia
www.kforbesy.ca
Nice to see the Ducks standout CHL prospects in Perry, Getzlaf and Brent on there.
I, obviously, would like to see all three make it. Brent was impressive against the Russian Selects and he's a personal favorite of mine, so I hope he does play.

letterH

Nov 16, 2003
Kamloops, BC
Visit site
Since nobody else has mentioned him, I will be the first to predict that Josh Gorges is on Team Canada. Now keep in mind, I cant stand the Rockets, so i am not some Kelowna homer. But I have seen Josh play many times in the past two years and he is a very gifted two-way D-man who is a better player at this time than many others invited. Yes Coburn and Belle may be headed for the NHL and are considered better pro prospects, however right now, Josh is quite a bit ahead of Belle and doesnt make nearly as many mistakes out there as Coburn.

Just my 2 cents, but I think Gorges will be on the team.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Wierd how Urquhart(sp?) wasn't selected. He's been very good as of late. Also, Williams should've made it. He's one of the best in the Dub right now. Huge steal for T-O.

Great as a Ducks fan to see Perry, Getzlaf and Brent. I figure all three will make it. Perry is gunning for 1st line wing with Crosby. I see Getz as the 2nd line center behind Crosby. Brent will be on the 3rd or 4th line probably.

Also, as probably the only Pats fan on the boards, great to see Harding there. I was sure of it, but it's one of those things that you never know on. He'll be the starter. Ward and Jeff DD will compete for backup.

And for those in doubt on Harding, believe me, he's the real deal. I went and watched the only game the Pats won last playoffs in Brandon, and man was he phenominal. He kept and still keeps the Pats in every single game they play. The Pats aren't the best team defensively, and have two guys, Jon Bubnick and David McDonald, who can score on an average consistant basis. So yeah, Harding is awesome. He was great against the Selects, so he doesn't need a weak team in front of him to be great. He's my pick for tournament MVP.

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
This would be my lineup for team Canada: (Assuming no NHLers are available)
FORWARDS:
Jeff Tambellini / Sidney Crosby / Anthony Stewart
Maxime Talbot / Jeff Carter / Corey Perry
Daniel Paille / Ryan Getzlaf / Eric Fehr
Jeremy Colliton / Mike Richards / Marc-Andre Bernier

DEFENCE:
Dion Phaneuf / Brent Seabrook
Braydon Coburn / Kevin Klein
Jeremy Swanson / Ian White

GOAL:
Josh Harding
Jeff Drouin-Deslauriers
(But Hopefully Fluery)

Note: Swanson definitely deserves to be there, Canada wants strength and Swanson is like a pit bull, I've never seen him outmuscled.......best defenceman in the OHL IMO.

Blue Bullet

Feb 27, 2002
Bon Accord, AB
Visit site
I've been wondering about Deslauriers as well. He just doesn't seem to be the best goalie when it comes to getting a ton of shots on him. However at the NHL level with a better team and better d-man his talent really shines.

That made me think of Ken Dryden's The Game. He talks about goaltending and that there are 2 types of goalies. He described it as goalies that are better for good teams and goalies that are better when playing on a bad team.

An example of this is Ken Dryden, Grant Fuhr and Ed Belfour are good goalies for good teams. They are dependable in net and make the big saves when they needed to even whey they only get 20 shots on net. Dryden even mentions he thinks he would have been worse on a bad team.

The other type of goalie is Curtis Joseph who is better when he is on a bad team facing tons of shots becuase he is not good at staying sharp when he is not. Case in point last years playoffs. Joseph's style is made for elevating a poor team not backstopping a winner.

Maybe Deslauriers is just not the type of goalie that is great at backstopping a poor defensive team while his reflexes and size may be better suited for a defense style team.

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
JasonMacIsaac said:
Thats new too me, last time I checked they wanted to go with a fast team, your team is fairly slow IMO.
This is what you said earlier in the thread:
5 forwards will get cut. MA Bernier, Colliton, Dawes, Courchaine, Brent IMO. Dixon as the 13th forward.

So that means you have Henrich and Brodziak upfront while I have Colliton and Bernier......no difference in speed there. Given goalies have no impact on team speed, you're saying that I picked a slow defence......Oh well, all you could do is maybe insert Belle and Benoit, but really two defenceman aren't going to dramatically increase team speed.

Bookman

Feb 27, 2002
frozen north
Visit site
I'm surprised none of the youngsters in the NHL were invited - Maybe Canada was told that they wouldn't be available?

Also, being a homer second only to TS Koala, I'm surprised nobody has mentioned O'Sullivan so far. He is lighting it up.

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
Bookman said:
I'm surprised none of the youngsters in the NHL were invited - Maybe Canada was told that they wouldn't be available?

Also, being a homer second only to TS Koala, I'm surprised nobody has mentioned O'Sullivan so far. He is lighting it up.

He also happens to be American.

Pedrostallion

Feb 28, 2002
Cranbrook, BC
Visit site
Just wondering why no one has Nigel Dawes on their list of forwards?

Is it his size that is an issue with most people? If so, I say has his size kept him from scoring 24 goals in 25 games so far this year? Did his size prevent him from being named top forward at the 2002 8 Nations Cup?

He's not going to make the team as a checker or a bang & crasher, he's going to make it by scoring goals, plain & simple. The kid can definitely score and has proven it at every level he's played at. I'm glad he received an invite and I hope he can continue to prove the naysers wrong.

If he does make it, I won't be suprised to see him on the top line

thestonedkoala

Bookman said:

AWWWWW! Thanks BOOKIE! I love you too!

O'Sullivan is playing for the US :D

O.T.

Mar 9, 2002
City of Champions
Visit site
Blue Bullet said:
I've been wondering about Deslauriers as well. He just doesn't seem to be the best goalie when it comes to getting a ton of shots on him. However at the NHL level with a better team and better d-man his talent really shines.

That made me think of Ken Dryden's The Game. He talks about goaltending and that there are 2 types of goalies. He described it as goalies that are better for good teams and goalies that are better when playing on a bad team.

An example of this is Ken Dryden, Grant Fuhr and Ed Belfour are good goalies for good teams. They are dependable in net and make the big saves when they needed to even whey they only get 20 shots on net. Dryden even mentions he thinks he would have been worse on a bad team.

The other type of goalie is Curtis Joseph who is better when he is on a bad team facing tons of shots becuase he is not good at staying sharp when he is not. Case in point last years playoffs. Joseph's style is made for elevating a poor team not backstopping a winner.

Maybe Deslauriers is just not the type of goalie that is great at backstopping a poor defensive team while his reflexes and size may be better suited for a defense style team.

I totally agree, great point! :handclap:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->