WC: Team Canada Roster Helsinki-Tampere 2022

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
Seems like we at least got 2 lines somewhat figured out. I liked the Lowry-Roy-Comtois line, they’re tough and can be shut down. I liked the Johnson-Geeky-Sillinger line, lots of youthful speed.

Haven’t really figured out any d-pairings yet.

But, it’s on now boys! Let’s go!

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Well that round robin escapade is over anyway, now it's the money games. They haven't inspired a lot of confidence with their team play but if they can bring it I think Sweden is a good opponent for us, we normally have their number in big games and if you clean up things defensively they aren't really very talented up front, a lot of mostly grinders aside from Willy. Their defense could be tough to crack however,it's easily the strongest part of their team, just go out at them hard and grind them down low, chances will come but we've got to be on point in our end, goalie will have to make a few saves, no "really should have had that's" can be afforded, you don't want to give them any confidence and cost any we have.

The only other team I would prefer to be playing in this game is the Slovaks and maybe the Czechs.

Let's get it together boys.

Mainiac

May 15, 2021
Can't really infer a lot based on a game against France, but it's nice to finish the group stage with a win.

On to the games that actually matter.

They're still going to need another gear in terms of intensity.

A couple of positives besides the W, we stayed out of the box and nice to see O Dell on the scoresheet.

BTW - does anyone know, is Gregor injured? I thought he looked good in the games he played.

Reactions: jj cale

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Well that round robin escapade is over anyway, now it's the money games. They haven't inspired a lot of confidence with their team play but if they can bring it I think Sweden is a good opponent for us, we normally have their number in big games and if you clean up things defensively they aren't really very talented up front, a lot of mostly grinders aside from Willy. Their defense could be tough to crack however,it's easily the strongest part of their team, just go out at them hard and grind them down low, chances will come but we've got to be on point in our end, goalie will have to make a few saves, no "really should have had that's" can be afforded, you don't want to give them any confidence and cost any we have.

The only other team I would prefer to be playing in this game is the Slovaks and maybe the Czechs.

Let's get it together boys.
You think Germany is stronger than slovakia and czechs? german team is mostly players from DEL.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
You think Germany is stronger than slovakia and czechs? german team is mostly players from DEL.
This particular version, if they play at their peak, yes. Definitely better then Slovakia, no question about that. If stutzle is indeed done then that changes the ballgame but with him healthy and in I would take them over both the Slovaks and Czechs, not sure why anyone would favour Slovakia in a game against Germany, 50-50 maybe but not favoured.

Think they could beat Sweden too with their full lineup.

Last edited:

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
This particular version, if they play at their peak, yes. Definitely better then Slovakia, no question about that. If stutzle is indeed done then that changes the ballgame but with him healthy and in I would take them over both the Slovaks and Czechs, not sure why anyone would favour Slovakia in a game against Germany, 50-50 maybe but not favoured.

Having Germany over Czechs is laughable. German team is mostly players from DEL. Czech team is top players from top european leagues mixed with good NHLers.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Having Germany over Czechs is laughable. German team is mostly players from DEL. Czech team is top players from top european leagues mixed with good NHLers.
Yeah, and a team from Finland won the this tournament without a single NHL player just a couple of years back. I don't go by X amount of NHL players on this team and X amount on that team, I watch the games and grade them, so should you.

The Czechs? they've got some talent that can certainly hurt you but so does Germany and the Czechs you really don't know what you are going to get out of them at both ends of the ice from game to game here this year.

That would be a 50-50 game for me before the puck drops.

But if you want to think my opinion is laughable go ahead, after all.............they've got top players from the top European teams mixed with good NHLers.

How could they possibly lose?

Reactions: Czechboy

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland

Stutzle is out of the tournament, Ottawa won't let him play

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Yeah, and a team from Finland won the this tournament without a single NHL player just a couple of years back. I don't go by X amount of NHL players on this team and X amount on that team, I watch the games and grade them, so should you.

The Czechs? they've got some talent that can certainly hurt you but so does Germany and the Czechs you really don't know what you are going to get out of them at both ends of the ice from game to game here this year.

That would be a 50-50 game for me before the puck drops.

But if you want to think my opinion is laughable go ahead, after all.............they've got top players from the top European teams mixed with good NHLers.

How could they possibly lose?
I get your point.

But i you are sleeping on the slovaks. They just won bronze in Olympics. They did look good against Swiss, Canada and Germany, playing-wise. Craig Ramsey is a good coach. And they have Slaf, Nemec, Fehevary. I would be terrified to meet the slovaks in qf.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I get your point.

But i you are sleeping on the slovaks. They just won bronze in Olympics. They did look good against Swiss, Canada and Germany, playing-wise. Craig Ramsey is a good coach. And they have Slaf, Nemec, Fehevary. I would be terrifed to meet the slovaks in qf.
I'm not sleeping on them or anyone else, I just think germany (including stutzle) would be the team I would least like to face if it was between them and the Slovaks as my 2 choices as an opponent.

Just because I grade a team as slightly lower doesn't mean I think they are useless or anything. Truth be told I rarely if ever get into this who would you rather face stuff anyway because you know you are going to face a test no matter who you play. I see the euro posters getting all ramped up about their round robin placings to the point they are talking about if we lose this game then this happens and if there is a shootout win instead of a regular time win they face this and that if team x in the other game loses. To me who gives a damn, you play who you play and you control your own destiny, it's a real losers mentality to me. For some reason Euro fans think being the king of the round robin is all important, why I don't know. For me while going perfect in the round robin is fine and normally a good sign you're on track it's also not the be all and end all. I am most concerned about the growth of the team going into the money games, because that's where the rubber meets the road.

This top of the hill round robin stuff, It's for chumps.

Last edited:

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
I'm not sleeping on them or anyone else, I just think germany (including stutzle) would be the team I would least like to face if it was between them and the Slovaks as my 2 choices as an opponent.

Just because I grade a team as slightly lower doesn't mean I think they are useless or anything. Truth be told I rarely if ever get into this who would you rather face stuff anyway because you know you are going to face a test no matter who you play. I see the euro posters getting all ramped up about their round robin placings to the point they are talking about if we lose this game then this happens and if there is a shootout win instead of a regular time win they face this and that if team x in the other game loses. To me who gives a damn, you play who you play and you control your own destiny, it's a real losers mentality to me. For some reason Euro fans think being the king of the round robin is all important, why I don't know.

It's for chumps.
Slafkovsky have been better than Stutzle in this tournament. I do rate Slovakia over the germans, because Slovakia have stronger roster and have looked just as good as Germany, playing-wise.

Germany also dont have the tradition and history on their side. Slovaks have several medals and even a gold medal.

You are right about round robin. Tournament is really starting when its playoffs. Canada always raise their game when its playoffs.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Slafkovsky have been better than Stutzle in this tournament. I do rate Slovakia over the germans, because Slovakia have stronger roster and have looked just as good as Germany, playing-wise.

Germany also dont have the tradition and history on their side. Slovaks have several medals and even a gold medal.

You are right about round robin. Tournament is really starting when its playoffs. Canada always raise their game when its playoffs.
I wouldn't have compared Slafkovsky to Stutzle at this tournament at all in the games I watched of both teams, Stutzle was more dynamic, this must be the usual shiny new toy take that goes on here all the time at HF.

I'm not sure what tradition and history counts for right now, I don't care what medals Slovakia has won in the past here, it's 2022 with new teams. That gold medal was 20 years ago, ancient history.

Last edited:

Mainiac

May 15, 2021
I hope the boys don't shut down the bar tonight. Gonna need a big effort tomorrow.

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018

Can we please get a Team Canada that includes both McDavid and Nate MacDangle. Atta Boy, Nate! Hell of a game. Hopefully the Avs take it back in St. Louieeeeeeee

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
This team just never had it, not enough talent on the back end and poop in goal and Julien couldn't get these guys to play any system that worked.

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
This is such a "bad" roster.

I mean we're spoiled with some amazing teams. How come there aren't that many "big names" like there usually is?

To me this roster is shockingly mediocre at best.

I am so used to seeing amazing Canaduan teams.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
This team needed a little luck. So far they have been much much less than the sum of their parts. Playing for a medal, we’ll take it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad