Olympics: Team Canada - Nagano 1998

Status
Not open for further replies.

bmil

Mar 1, 2006
Kitchener, ON
What the hell went wrong with this team? :dunno:

On paper, they were probably the greatest Canadian team of all-time. Gretzky, Roy, Yzerman, Lindros, Bourque, MacInnis, etc. the list goes on. However, they didn't even medal. Surely the biggest disappointment in Canadian hockey -- for those with vivid memories of this tournament, why did they fail?

nitz

Jul 27, 2009
No Gretzky in the shootout is what I remember.

Giving the C to Lindros was probably a huge mistake as well.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
The best team in Canada history is almost certainly the 1976 Canada Cup team. Anyway, as far as 1998 goes nothing really went wrong with them. They played in a one game elimination tournament and lost in the semifinals in a shootout. They were obviously the most talented team, but anything can happen in one game. It wasn't like 2006 when the team simply played terribly throughout.

I guess if someone was to pick the reasons that Canada lost to the Czechs, the main reasons would be that Canada picked Crawford as coach (terrible coach) and that two of the top 10 forwards in the world in Sakic and Kariya were missing for that game.

Reactions: Nerowoy nora tolad

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Dominik Hasek.

Pretty much. They had a pretty good tournament, went 3-0 in the group play beating Belarus, Sweden and the US. Lost the SO to the Czechs and then seemed to mail it in for the bronze medal game.

Rob Zamuner made the team. Could have used Kariya but he was injured.

The 2006 was the real disastrous team, they did fine in 1998.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
The Czechs played trap hockey with Hasek in net to win the gold medal. Canada scored in the last 2 minutes of the semi final to tie the Czech's and then went 0-5 in the shootout. They played the next afternoon in the broze medal game, but mentally they were already on the plane home. No one gave a **** about bronze. (no offense to Finland who played well and deserved to win). Gretzky was at the end of his career. Mario was retired for that tournament. There were a lot of older guys on the team coming to the end of their careers. The best part for Canada in that tournament was getting revenge on the US for winning the World Cup in 1996.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
The Czechs played trap hockey with Hasek in net to win the gold medal. Canada scored in the last 2 minutes of the semi final to tie the Czech's and then went 0-5 in the shootout. They played the next afternoon in the broze medal game, but mentally they were already on the plane home. No one gave a **** about bronze. (no offense to Finland who played well and deserved to win). Gretzky was at the end of his career. Mario was retired for that tournament. There were a lot of older guys on the team coming to the end of their careers. The best part for Canada in that tournament was getting revenge on the US for winning the World Cup in 1996.

Right, the 1998 Canada team looked great on paper, but so many of the names were well past their primes - and lack of speed really hurt Canada on the larger ice surface. They really could have used Kariya and Sakic as others have said.

The the game went to shootout, and Canada is missing arguably its 3 best 1-on-1 players (Mario Lemieux, Kariya, and Sakic).

And as you said, the Czechs played a great defensive team game in front of Hasek.

boozeash

Apr 19, 2007
Ottawa
Not picking Gretzky in the shootout. They picked a D man instead. :(......when you have the greatest hockey player of all time on your squad you put him out to shoot

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
The real disaster was the U.S. performance. They actually went into the tourney as the gold medal favorite due to the World Cup win in 96. Pretty much the same team but went totally off the rails.

Reactions: Nerowoy nora tolad

Wham City

Oct 27, 2006
Whistler
Being completely unfamiliar and unprepared for the shootout was pretty significant. Hasek was obviously brilliant but Canadian shooters have come a long way since 94, and 98 Olympics. I'd argue what was once an achilles heel off Canadian hockey has turned into somewhat of a strength.

member 30781

Just because you have the best group of players with the most talent does not mean you have the best team. See Team Russia for the past 20 years.

Harv

R.I.P. Pavol.
Dec 30, 2007
Being completely unfamiliar and unprepared for the shootout was pretty significant. Hasek was obviously brilliant but Canadian shooters have come a long way since 94, and 98 Olympics. I'd argue what was once an achilles heel off Canadian hockey has turned into somewhat of a strength.

Dumbass play by play guys. ''Czechoslovakia up 1-0'' :shakehead

Also the shootout moves by Canada was laughable. Some of those shots had no chance of going in. All Hasek had to do move with them.

And Ivan Hlinka, RIP.

nitz

Jul 27, 2009

Nearly 13 years later, and I still won't watch this. :laugh:

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Most talented players maybe, I'm not sure about most talented team.

Talent is just a function of the players... I don't understand the distinction between having the most talented players and not the most talented team. I don't know if they were the most cohesive team, but they certainly weren't terrible in that regard like in 2006.

Noeller

Dec 13, 2007
Oil Country
Lemme just say, right off the hop, that I don't even like talking about 98 Olys. The whole thing was such a cluster****, right from the second they announced Rob Zamuner as being a part of the team, that you knew we were doomed. I want you all to stop and think about that for a second -- Rob Zamuner. Ridiculous, right? I mean, if you look at the roster, guys like Shayne Corson......really? Even in their prime, sure they were good hockey players, but for the best Oly team in the world?? No, sir...no you don't belong here. Top to bottom, that just wasn't a very good team, period. Add to that, that every possible wrong decision you could make, from Lindy getting the C over Gretz, to choosing Bourque for the shoot-out, was made, then you get the 1998 Oly hockey tournament for the Canadian squad.

Don't take anything away from the Czechs -- Hasek was ridiculous in that game, and in his prime was a guy that can single handedly win games for any team, which he did there. It was Hasek and Jagr that won that tournament for them.

I refuse to watch the shoot out vid....it's just too painful. That tournament sickens me to my core. :cry:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad