Team Canada forwards

mackinnon29

Nov 24, 2017
I’d just love to see Mcdavid Mack and Crosby on the power play together. That should be a really treat right there.

Reactions: sanscosm

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Yeah, not sure Marner and McDavid would be the best mix because both guys thrive with the puck on their stick. Not sure how effective either would be if their role was to just get open and wait for the puck carrier to get them the puck.

Scheifele or Stamkos would probably work best with McDavid. Neither guy necessarily has to be the puck carrier, and both are good at finding openings in coverage for their line's playmaker to get them the puck.

Exactly, Schiefele has played with McDavid before (WHC I think?) and they looked good together.

Guys like him and yeah maybe a trigger man like Stamkos would be interesting. Stone would be a good option as well as he creates a lot of turnovers and his good defensively.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
I think Team Canada should go for a pure shutdown line especially with the firepower in the top 6.

ROR - Couturier - Stone

No one is scoring against them. :laugh:

Plus, you let the others take on easier matchups to feast offensively.

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
That would be sweet. I would love to see him get some ice with McDavid on the PP, and possibly Point 5v5. I think he would mesh well with both. We will have to see if he makes it first, although I think it would take a serious decline for him to miss now.

I wonder if Nick Suzuki can make enough strides between now and then to get into the conversation.

I think Suzuki would have to make some exceptional - unbelievable - strides to get there. He's very versatile, so maybe as a 13th forward, but I have a hard time seeing him overcome the pedigree that many players at the bottom of the lineup already have in the NHL and with Team Canada. Even if he gets to the same level offensively or defensively as guys like Huberdeau or Marchand, he's not going to have enough of a track record to really warrant being included.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
McDavid - McKinnon - Marner
Marchand - Crosby - Bergeron
Tavares - Point - Stone
O’Rielly - Couturier - Barzal
Spares: Huberdeau, Scheifele

canucklover123

Oct 22, 2013
Yeah no kidding.

How do you leave off a C who can get you 75 points all while playing Selke level defense?

Then add in, he does a TON of his damage at ES. He is 9th in ES points the last 3 years(17/18-19/20). For CANADIANS, he is 4th in EN scoring the last 3 years. He is also top15 in ES goals during that time.

He will help Canada dominate at ES then PK while other "stars" get the PP minutes and points. And he is also 5th in FO% at 56.5% for anyone who has a chance to be an Olympian. He will help Canada win by doing all the little things that often get overseen.

Oh ya not a knock on other guys, Scheifle is sweet and I can see O'reilly there with the Armstrong connection and his own merit as well. No one is gunna say someone got fleeced but at 4th line C, if Canada is strictly going on defensive prowlness and elite at it, its Couturier's job to lose.

NA ice pretty much locks Stone in on one side and I can see OReilly and Couts flipping at C and wing accordingly

Bergeron is a little on the older side. I can see Ciirelli making a push as well late. He's been only getting better

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
Here is how I view things now, although 12 months can change things (especially if some of the older players fall of a cliff, which is always a possibility with older players):

Locks:
McDavid
MacKinnon
Crosby
Bergeron
Marchand

Very Likely (60%-90%):
Stone
Huberdeau
O'Reilly
Sheifele
Point
Marner

Possible (30-60%):
Stamkos
Tavares
Barzal
Couturier
Horvat

Long-Shots (0%-30%):
Toews
Benn
Suzuki
Lafreniere

I think the 1st group will all be on the team, unless injuries or a drastic decline knock them off. Bergeron is the only one who could potentially decline right off a cliff. But he would need to decline very far and very fast to lose his post.

A very strong finish to this season and a strong start to next season could push some of the players in the 3rd and 4th groups onto the team.

The 2nd group are all likely to be picked, unless they perform very poorly the rest of this season and the start of next season.

I think the above-mentioned forwards are the only players with any shot of making the team.

That is 20 forwards, with 14 spots available.

canucklover123

Oct 22, 2013
Sad to see the reality of Toews not au automatic lock like rosters of years past. 2010 Toews was a bad man

Side note, the irony is statistically (one of his knocks), he's pretty much on par with two seasons leading up to nomination of 2014 team.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Here is how I view things now, although 12 months can change things (especially if some of the older players fall of a cliff, which is always a possibility with older players):

Locks:
McDavid
MacKinnon
Crosby
Bergeron
Marchand

Very Likely (60%-90%):
Stone
Huberdeau
O'Reilly
Sheifele
Point
Marner

Possible (30-60%):
Stamkos
Tavares
Barzal
Couturier
Horvat

Long-Shots (0%-30%):
Toews
Benn
Suzuki
Lafreniere

I think the 1st group will all be on the team, unless injuries or a drastic decline knock them off. Bergeron is the only one who could potentially decline right off a cliff. But he would need to decline very far and very fast to lose his post.

A very strong finish to this season and a strong start to next season could push some of the players in the 3rd and 4th groups onto the team.

The 2nd group are all likely to be picked, unless they perform very poorly the rest of this season and the start of next season.

I think the above-mentioned forwards are the only players with any shot of making the team.

That is 20 forwards, with 14 spots available.

Lafrenier has 0 percent chance

Reactions: GrandmaSlices51631

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
Lafrenier has 0 percent chance
I only think he has any chance at all because he has the potential to completely explode next season.

The odds of it happening are very low. But I don't think impossible.

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
Sad to see the reality of Toews not au automatic lock like rosters of years past. 2010 Toews was a bad man

Side note, the irony is statistically (one of his knocks), he's pretty much on par with two seasons leading up to nomination of 2014 team.
He has slipped a little since 2010-2016 Toews. His health is also an issue now.

Reactions: canucklover123

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
Kadri should definitely get a chance for Team Canada. Physical. Brings leadership.
There are players who can play his role just as good as him, and not be a risk to lose their cool and put Canada in a bad SH situation in a must-win game.

What if the Tkachuk's can goad Kadri into doing something stupid in a Gold Medal Game that is tied at 1-1 in the 3rd period?

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
McDavid - McKinnon - Marner
Marchand - Crosby - Bergeron
Tavares - Point - Stone
O’Rielly - Couturier - Barzal
Spares: Huberdeau, Scheifele
If it was me I would move Barzal up , Marner to L3 and Stone to L4

McDavid-Mack-Barzal-this is your speed line

Marchand-Crosby-Bergeron-whats understood doesn't need to be explained

Tavares-Point-Marner-IMO Marner would work better with 2 more cerebral players

O'Rielly-Cout-Stone is our shut down D 1st line

Reactions: AveryStar4Eva

canucklover123

Oct 22, 2013
There are players who can play his role just as good as him, and not be a risk to lose their cool and put Canada in a bad SH situation in a must-win game.

What if Gallagher or Tkachuk can goad Kadri into doing something stupid in a Gold Medal Game that is tied at 1-1 in the 3rd period?

Gally wouldnt be allowed back in the country :sarcasm: but point still made

canucklover123

Oct 22, 2013
Made comments before about Couturier being an auto lock, I would make the same assertion for Huberdeau.
Arguably the best NATURAL left winger in Canada (always must consider Marchand).

In a short tourney, I don't see the point of basically loading up with centres and playing them on the wing, when you have an equally serviceable top end LW who plays it regularly.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Lol Kadri will not even be a discussion for this team outside of this post.
Love kadri one of my favorite players but that guy must has confused this for a WHC team in which Avs got out early.

If John Tavares looks unlikely to make the Olympics team Kadri or any other comparable players aren't nothing but a joke/troll post

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
No chance in hell Bergeron plays the wing. He's the best 2 way C, Bergy and ROR centering lines 3/4 and Crosby line 2, one of McDavid/Mackinnon on the top line C, the other on wing. Marner is a lock, elite winger who plays both ends of the ice and can PK and plays on the PP. Scheifele should be somewhere in the lineup as well.

No chance in hell Bergeron who played wing in every international tournament plays wing again. The floor is also made of floor

Reactions: canucklover123

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Lol Kadri will not even be a discussion for this team outside of this post.

upload_2021-2-5_18-31-14.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad