WJC: Team Canada built to beat Americans in Buffalo

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
You know there is more than one bear in the woods this year.......Both Canada and the U.S. best remember that and some posters here ought to be made aware of it.

Do not discount Team Russia, who will have the best goaltender this tourney and who also has some speed and size.

What goaltender are you referring? Bobkov?

ThisYearsModel

Mar 4, 2004
I'm Canadian, and I thought the chant after the game in the dressing room was awesome. They had just won a world championship, beating out the country that had won the 5 previous ones. If that doesn't earn you the right to celebrate, nothing does.

It would be different if they'd done it out on the ice. That would be cocky and a bit of an ******* move. They didn't. TSN's cameras just happened to be at the dressing room to catch it, or we'd never have known about it.

Nice to see a Canadian who is reasonable. Sure it was an upset. They played for a couple weeks in a very hostile environment, came out on top and were a true team who played for each other.

While that was going on, the excuses were coming. On TSN, HF Boards about who was eligible, who was chosen for Canada, and so on. It is the only think that I don't love about the World Jrs. I love watching the kids play.

As always, I look forward to the tournament. Canada is the favorite regardless of how TSN or anyone else wants to spin things. I hope it is a good tournament.

NewEraGM

Jun 19, 2010
The US has to be the overwhelming favourites - a ton of returnees, defending champs, and a good balance between speed, skill, and size. I don't see Canada being able to keep up with them.

I've been wrong about Team Canada before, but if they can manage a silver they should be happy.

I am not sure what its like in the US, but here in Canada, we don't settle for silver. Its gold or nothing. This year, its gold!

BobDobolina

Jan 11, 2010
NYC
Oh not this dressing room celebration nontroversy again... It's their dressing room ffs. Anyone who complaints about that stuff needs to learn how to relax a little and have fun.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
They are portraying it in the media pretty heavily leading up to the event. The Americans are strong no one is not saying that but realistically last year if Campbell wasn't as good as he was and if Allen wasn't as poor as he was that game doesn't go to OT

Hell it wouldn't shock me to see Russia win it all this year. But I still think Canada is always going to be the team to beat

Tired and weak argument. For as much as some Canadian fans complain that Allen lost them the game last year, Mike Lee - the starting US Goalie - was as bad if not worse. He gave up 3 goals on 7 seven shots. You could just as realistically counter your Allen argument by saying if Lee made a save, or Campbell started, or Eberle didn't get a lucky bounce on one of his goals, etc. that the Americans would have wrapped it up with ease. And others could come up with their own counters for Team Canada.

The fact is both the USA and Canada were the best teams last tournament. Team USA won the game that mattered. That's all.

The talk of a clear favorite, while it makes for good press, doesn't really mean much in these tournaments except for how each respective team allows it to effect their preparation. USA Junior teams typically haven't fared well when they've been dealt the "favorite" card so hopefully the staff and some of these players learn from that. I'd be comfortable lumping USA, Canada, Russia, and Sweden together as the favorites but anything can happen. Too many variables.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

What other year(s) were the US team favoured to win. Am I right if I said they usually don't pull through when favoured and have pulled through multiple times as underdogs? Not knocking them...IIRC it does seem that way however.

The only other time I remember the Americans being favourites... 2006 / Vancouver and we all know how that turned out. :)

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

The US has to be the overwhelming favourites - a ton of returnees, defending champs, and a good balance between speed, skill, and size. I don't see Canada being able to keep up with them.

CharlieGirl,

I've been wrong about Team Canada before, but if they can manage a silver they should be happy.

The Canadians have (correct me if I am wrong) 15(!!!) 1st Round Picks and they are Big and Fast.

The US is a slight favourite (because of the number of returning players) but home teams very seldom win. Other then when Canada wins at home, when is the last time it has happened.

They also have a painfully easy schedule - this never bodes well for any team.

I think you are giving the Americans too much credit - but you are not the only one.

Having said that, I love the idea of Canada as an underdog and flying under the radar.

Last edited by a moderator:

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

An apt description of last year's Canadian entry. While some may question the offensive flair of this year's team, with Hamilton, Howden, Leblanc, etc., Canada should be able to skate and compete with any country. One is reminded of the old hockey truism: If you can skate, anything is possible. If you can't, nothing is. This team can skate.

That is all.

Good post. Well said!

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

I think it's crazy to suggest a team that's won five golds and lost the gold medal game in OT the last six years should be happy with silver. The US return a lot of good players, but their leading offensive guy and most of their defense are gone. Canada's team top to bottom is deeper and our defense is much stronger. If Roy or Visentin can play better than Allen did (can't be that hard), Canada's gonna be very tough to beat. Dave Cameron built this team his way, just like he has done in Mississauga and look how that's working out this year.

Re : "If Roy or Visentin can play better than Allen did (can't be that hard)"

LOL!!! I could play better the Allen did. I can still see him "not moving" on the US's OT goal. He honestly FROZE!!!! Why did they leave him in???

Cost us a Gold!!!

Having said that... Of the Top 30 Scorers in the NHL (as of this afternoon) 19 were born in Canada - 63.33%. Of the Top 10 Defensemen at the Olympics, you could argue 6 (or even 7) were Canadian. But...

For a country that produces as many GREAT hockey players as we do... we have not been producing (GREAT) goaltenders. Not sure why.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

Who is going to score the goals? Visentin can stand on his head and the defense can be outstanding, but if you can't score, you're not going to win a lot of games.

Cameron has built a team that is very defensively focused. Hopefully not too much.

I don't get it... We win 5 years in a row. We dominate to the point where people (including the Hockey News) were suggesting we send multiple teams just to give other teams a chance. We lose one year, in the Gold Medal game in OT without our best 8 players being on the team and people are now, all of a sudden, questioning Hockey Canada. Questioning us as a Hockey Nation. Questioning us as the premier Hockey Nation.

We sure love to eat our own in this country!!! :(

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

They won in 04 when I don't think they were expected to...and they won last year when they kind of came under the radar as a young team. And they narrowly lost last year in the Olympics despite being rated 4 or 5. Coming off a 1996 World Cup win in which they were an unlikely favourite behind Russia and Canada, they lost in the quarters in Nagano with the same guard. Hell, back in 1980 they pulled off one of the biggest underdog stories in modern sports history.

The cockyness, bravado and satisfaction I saw from the American team at the conclusion of last years event appeared highly motivating for anyone on the oppositions side, especially a perennial tournament favourite in Canada. It had USA Hockey written all over it. I think those 8 returnees in particular are in for a world of butthurt if they make it far enough. Canada's lucky enough to make decisions on how they build their teams...and they built it to wipe the ice with the rest of the field with speed and physicality this year in response to last.

The best junior eligible player in college hockey right now is Jaden Schwartz...but because we've turned names like Eberle into folk heroes in recent years he's just another no-namer on this "blue-collared" team. Call me crazy but I'll eat crow if this team isn't the best one in the tournament.

Most outside Canadians won't like this post, even some Canadians. Quote it if I'm wrong....if history repeats itself I don't think I will be.

Good Post!!!

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

A fair point, which is why I think it's a mistake for any team's brass to tailor it's squad to the strengths of one country, especially in Canada's case as they have a much tougher pool than the U.S.

I agree. The Canadian squad was built to beat Sweden last year and it came back to haunt us.

We built a team to beat the US in the 98 Olympics and look what happened.

Put the best players on the ice and let the chips fall where they may.

I honestly, and not because I am Canadian, believe Canada will be better then everyone expects and believe the Americans will not be as good as everyone fears.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

They are portraying it in the media pretty heavily leading up to the event. The Americans are strong no one is not saying that but realistically last year if Campbell wasn't as good as he was and if Allen wasn't as poor as he was that game doesn't go to OT

Hell it wouldn't shock me to see Russia win it all this year. But I still think Canada is always going to be the team to beat

Good points!

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

You know there is more than one bear in the woods this year.......Both Canada and the U.S. best remember that and some posters here ought to be made aware of it.

Do not discount Team Russia, who will have the best goaltender this tourney and who also has some speed and size.

I would not be surprised if Team Russia or Team Sweden won it all. We are so sure it will be Team Canada or Team USA... the US surprised last year, why not someone else this year?

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

The Yanks are a slight favourite but I have a feeling this is Canadas year.

Me too. :)

Last year I thought "I want Canada to win 6 in a row and have the Americans win in Buffalo". Then we lost. :( Now I think "I spent $2,300 on tickets and it won't be worth it unless Canada wins GOLD!!!"

Go Canada Go!!!

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

Sorry about all the Posts boys but this is a great Board and I felt the need to comment on a lot of what was being said. :)

nafsregnar27

Jul 31, 2010
Central California
KevyD, It's more than obvious that your bitter about last years loss, but can you try and not knock down someone's team (which hasn't even been selected, FYI) just to make yours look better, your so quick to assume Canada will win gold but for all we know Sweden might get their second, just like the Americans did last year.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

KevyD, It's more than obvious that your bitter about last years loss, but can you try and not knock down someone's team (which hasn't even been selected, FYI) just to make yours look better, your so quick to assume Canada will win gold but for all we know Sweden might get their second, just like the Americans did last year.

Hi TulareHockeyFan 91...

I don't think I am bitter (not a bitter person :) ) but I would be lying if I said I was not disappointed by last years results.

Sorry if you feel I put the US down. I was trying to be objective. I just think that people are over estimating the US team and under estimating Canada. I just was commenting on the posts that were made.

Be well...

Starrlinx

Sep 11, 2004
Seattle, WA
Come on folks. Are we really going "there" again? Would Canada have won last year if all their "stars" were available? Most likely. Would the result have been different with even average goaltending? Debatable as the USA had issues there as well but for arguments sake lets say yes.

Irrelevant. Those things didn't happen. USA was the better team on the ice last year. Period.

We'll see who is the best this year. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad