WJC: Team Canada built to beat Americans in Buffalo

Ron Barr

Doing it to Death
Dec 23, 2009
bdddddddet
2 Sabres prospects, not bad. But I still wish Brayden McNabb would've made it. Though, it's understandable he didn't make the cut, since Canada's defense is stacked anyway. It'll be fun to watch Kassian and Foligno in Buffalo!

Jesus Christ Horburn

Aug 22, 2008
For the most part, the make up of the team perfectly reflects the coaching style of Cameron. I think this will be a huge advantage for Canada.

On that note, I'd be shocked if anyone other than Schenn is named captain. He embodies everything that Cameron preaches.

HockeyGuy1975

May 22, 2009
The cockyness, bravado and satisfaction I saw from the American team at the conclusion of last years event appeared highly motivating for anyone on the oppositions side, especially a perennial tournament favourite in Canada. It had USA Hockey written all over it. I think those 8 returnees in particular are in for a world of butthurt if they make it far enough.

LOL.

Yes, say it again and again and again on HFBoards. If you keep repeating the same narrative over and over again, maybe it will become "true" someday. Truthiness.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
Fair enough. I would say the U.S. will be a more finesse oriented roster, but at the same time I don't see them being physically intimidated either. Last year's squad wasn't replete with bangers either.

Much more of a finesse roster and that isn't to be discounted...the forward group is very experienced. It'll be interesting because Canada did go out of it's way to select players who should have earned it (but didn't) that they expect will find their games and provide the proper counter to last years showing.

According to those at camp Ryan Murphy/Ryan Murray made this team yet they went with size and physicality...Gudbranson and Despres are supposed to be mobile at 6'4 210 and 220 respectively, one made his NHL club this year and by most accounts the other should have. Everyone that has seen Jared Cowen play THIS year has said he should be in Ottawa...he is 6'5 235 and back to the mobility he had that would have made him a 4-6 pick in 2009. Dylan Olsen is 6'2 220, having a standout year and camp and should be a returnee as he was the last cut last year behind the rehabbing Cowen (a Hockey Canada blunder last year).

Hard to say which Canadian forwards could manage in the AHL. Brayden Schenn was a PPG in 7 games though. Names like Leblanc, Schwartz, Kassian, Johansen, Connolly could all play in the AHL, and could be NHL rookies as soon as next year.

Should be interesting, if they do collide...it'll be a bit more ying vs yang compared to last year.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
LOL.

Yes, say it again and again and again on HFBoards. If you keep repeating the same narrative over and over again, maybe it will become "true" someday. Truthiness.

I've never said that before. The differences of the way players from USA hockey (namely the Development Program) carry themselves was something referenced in Gare Joyce's book. Would you like me to bring up 1998?

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
For the most part, the make up of the team perfectly reflects the coaching style of Cameron. I think this will be a huge advantage for Canada.

On that note, I'd be shocked if anyone other than Schenn is named captain. He embodies everything that Cameron preaches.

Except for playing in the OHL :sarcasm:. McKenzie did however say he expects Ellis to be the Captain, and we tend to be making those decisions based on experience now. But my guy would be Schenn as well.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Who is saying that? I mean, isn't it conceivable that Canada isn't the favorite this go around?

They are portraying it in the media pretty heavily leading up to the event. The Americans are strong no one is not saying that but realistically last year if Campbell wasn't as good as he was and if Allen wasn't as poor as he was that game doesn't go to OT

Hell it wouldn't shock me to see Russia win it all this year. But I still think Canada is always going to be the team to beat

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
They are portraying it in the media pretty heavily leading up to the event. The Americans are strong no one is not saying that but realistically last year if Campbell wasn't as good as he was and if Allen wasn't as poor as he was that game is doesn't go to OT

Hell it wouldn't shock me to see Russia win it all this year. But I still think Canada is always going to be the team to beat

Yeah, Hamonic injured, Dehaan injured, Cowen playing on one leg after the coach choosing a forward over him to play D in the semi's. Ellis will have less defensive responsibility then last year despite being 1 year older and stronger in that regard (assuming).

TSN takes any chance it can get to not make us the favourite because it gets tiring and they do better if people aren't perceiving this as a tournament that we just run over like 2005 in particular. This year they have a lot to work with and it's fair to say the US is the favourite going in....but TSN is reaallyyyy pushing it.

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto
They are portraying it in the media pretty heavily leading up to the event. The Americans are strong no one is not saying that but realistically last year if Campbell wasn't as good as he was and if Allen wasn't as poor as he was that game doesn't go to OT

Give credit where credit is due. The Americans were the better team last year, and this is coming from a Canadian. The difference in overall team speed is what did them in.

sfo

Oct 13, 2008
They are portraying it in the media pretty heavily leading up to the event. The Americans are strong no one is not saying that but realistically last year if Campbell wasn't as good as he was and if Allen wasn't as poor as he was that game doesn't go to OTHell it wouldn't shock me to see Russia win it all this year. But I still think Canada is always going to be the team to beat

I see Canada is still bitter about last year....

seriously...Jack Campbell wasn't the reason we won and Allen wasn't the reason Canada lost. Just accept it. USA was the best team at the tournament last year, and Canada wasn't. Let's all move on.

As for the "cockyness" of the Americans after the gold medal last year that has been suggested by a few disgruntled Canadian fans on this board and people saying we think we have "the best junior team ever" .... um... I thought that was Canada the last oh 10 years? Seriously. Stop calling us cocky when Canada has worn that label proudly for quite some time.

wjhl2009fan

Nov 13, 2008

seriously...Jack Campbell wasn't the reason we won and Allen wasn't the reason Canada lost. Just accept it. USA was the best team at the tournament last year, and Canada wasn't. Let's all move on.

As for the "cockyness" of the Americans after the gold medal last year that has been suggested by a few disgruntled Canadian fans on this board and people saying we think we have "the best junior team ever" .... um... I thought that was Canada the last oh 10 years? Seriously. Stop calling us cocky when Canada has worn that label proudly for quite some time.

I would not say canada has been as cocky as some make them out to be just as i don't think the states was cocky last year.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com

The goaltenders weren't the deciding factors, but if Campbell's season continues it might be a difference this year. The difference last year was mainly a depleted defense group...the USA outplayed us in the final, but resting on that without any context appears in the way the US demanded respect last year at the Olympics after beating Canada in the round robin. Canadians said Miller was the main difference and he'd probably have to be the main difference again if they wanted to beat Canada again..and he wasn't...the American's actually showed better in the final in the game they lost then the game they won. That's hockey.

Resting on the cocky thing? I call it like I see it, call it like it's been publicized and then referenced examples of how historically USA Hockey does much better as underdogs and worse as favourites....which might have to do with that cockyness and bravado of heading into a tournament as favourites. Maybe TSN believes that too and as the unquestioned media drive of this tournament, maybe that's why their pushing the Americans so hard and pretending Canada has no names (which any focused hockey follower knows to be untrue). When asked about it the Canadian players look like they think it's a joke having to talk about how the team does not boast Jordan Eberle this year. It's comical how the media is riding this thing.

ThisYearsModel

Mar 4, 2004
LOL.

Bravado and cockiness? LOL. I still have the video of their locker room chant after the game was over. After all the abuse they took up there, it was refreshing. i was especially happy that we would no longer have to see that dope with the red light helmet and the "He Shoots, He Scores" sign anymore.

Last year has no bearing on this year. if Canada, (who should be able to put 3 teams in this tournament and finish 1-2-3) does not win, they will have no one to blame but themselves.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
Bravado and cockiness? LOL. I still have the video of their locker room chant after the game was over. After all the abuse they took up there, it was refreshing. i was especially happy that we would no longer have to see that dope with the red light helmet and the "He Shoots, He Scores" sign anymore.

Last year has no bearing on this year. if Canada, (who should be able to put 3 teams in this tournament and finish 1-2-3) does not win, they will have no one to blame but themselves.

I completely forgot about that locker room thing...I doubt the players and coaches have. But yes your right...Canada has plenty of options of what team to go with and they actually passed on a couple players who showed better in order to go with players they deemed more fitting for style of play and opposition they would encounter. As if it stands, if they don't win it's on them more then any other country...except for the US maybe.

BobDobolina

Jan 11, 2010
NYC

That guy is a paid fan. Lamest thing in the world.

CharlieGirl

Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site
Give credit where credit is due. The Americans were the better team last year, and this is coming from a Canadian. The difference in overall team speed is what did them in.

Agreed about who was the better team last year. I think the biggest difference between Canada and the US teams last year was that one of them played as one unit - a team. The other was a bunch of individuals out there, each wanting to be "the guy".

A large part of this year's Team USA has come up through the ranks together, and won it all last year together. There is a familiarity there and the team concept doesn't have to be developed in a few practices and exhibition games. I think that gives the US a leg up, even if the talent levels were even.

I hope I'm dead wrong about my feelings about this version of Team Canada -- I hope they play for the gold and win it. I just won't be putting any hard earned money down on it.

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008

LOL (wow I can do that too) all the abuse? LOL (again)

Are we talking about some yahoos from a local radio station calling the players? I'd say, hopefully Team USA learned a valuable lesson (one that all other teams do and is just common sense) DON'T LET CALLS COME INTO PLAYERS ROOMS AFTER A CERTAIN TIME!!!

So you're happy with the chant and the cockiness of said chant, showing great class huh?

I'd be embarrassed myself.

I can recall a couple of years ago an interview with a member of the US hockey staff and he said, too bad we didn't have a certain player here, but he's playing in the NHL, we would have done better.

Yet, now once has any member of Hockey Canada ever after a loss used the excuse "if only we had this guy or that guy"

So, I'll use the excuse now. The USA wouldn't have won gold last year if Canada had been able to use all eligible players.

But we still did pretty good, icing our B team to beat another's A team, yet losing in overtime.

LOL that is fun to type.

VOB

Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
You know there is more than one bear in the woods this year.......Both Canada and the U.S. best remember that and some posters here ought to be made aware of it.

Do not discount Team Russia, who will have the best goaltender this tourney and who also has some speed and size.

CharlieGirl

Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site
So you're happy with the chant and the cockiness of said chant, showing great class huh?

I'd be embarrassed myself.

I'm Canadian, and I thought the chant after the game in the dressing room was awesome. They had just won a world championship, beating out the country that had won the 5 previous ones. If that doesn't earn you the right to celebrate, nothing does.

It would be different if they'd done it out on the ice. That would be cocky and a bit of an ******* move. They didn't. TSN's cameras just happened to be at the dressing room to catch it, or we'd never have known about it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad