WJC: Team Canada built to beat Americans in Buffalo

Jesus Christ Horburn

Aug 22, 2008
I wouldn't be surprised if Canada won.

Last year's team was a trainwreck and they still came pretty close to winning gold again.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
This will be a slightly faster, better coached Team Canada, so I fully expect them to be the conversation for gold. That being said, it will be a "veteran", even faster U.S. team they could potentially face. To me, it will come down to Jack Campbell's play for the U.S. and the scoring ability of the Canadian forwards.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
This will be a slightly faster, better coached Team Canada, so I fully expect them to be the conversation for gold. That being said, it will be a "veteran", even faster U.S. team they could potentially face. To me, it will come down to Jack Campbell's play for the U.S. and the scoring ability of the Canadian forwards.

What other year(s) were the US team favoured to win. Am I right if I said they usually don't pull through when favoured and have pulled through multiple times as underdogs? Not knocking them...IIRC it does seem that way however.

CharlieGirl

Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site
The US has to be the overwhelming favourites - a ton of returnees, defending champs, and a good balance between speed, skill, and size. I don't see Canada being able to keep up with them.

I've been wrong about Team Canada before, but if they can manage a silver they should be happy.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
What other year(s) were the US team favoured to win. Am I right if I said they usually don't pull through when favoured and have pulled through multiple times as underdogs? Not knocking them...IIRC it does seem that way however.

Yeah, the U.S. has traditionally underachieved in this event. I would say they were in the conversation as favorites most years post 2003, in particular 2005 and 2008.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
The US has to be the overwhelming favourites - a ton of returnees, defending champs, and a good balance between speed, skill, and size. I don't see Canada being able to keep up with them.

I've been wrong about Team Canada before, but if they can manage a silver they should be happy.

I wouldn't go that far. There are four teams that I say have a very good chance to win gold. The U.S. has all elements in place to do so (a ton of returnees, favorable pool, etc), but that doesn't guarantee anything.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
I wouldn't be surprised if Canada won.

Last year's team was a trainwreck and they still came pretty close to winning gold again.

An apt description of last year's Canadian entry. While some may question the offensive flair of this year's team, with Hamilton, Howden, Leblanc, etc., Canada should be able to skate and compete with any country. One is reminded of the old hockey truism: If you can skate, anything is possible. If you can't, nothing is. This team can skate.

That is all.

bruinsfan46

Dec 2, 2006
London, ON

I think it's crazy to suggest a team that's won five golds and lost the gold medal game in OT the last six years should be happy with silver. The US return a lot of good players, but their leading offensive guy and most of their defense are gone. Canada's team top to bottom is deeper and our defense is much stronger. If Roy or Visentin can play better than Allen did (can't be that hard), Canada's gonna be very tough to beat. Dave Cameron built this team his way, just like he has done in Mississauga and look how that's working out this year.

CharlieGirl

Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site
I think it's crazy to suggest a team that's won five golds and lost the gold medal game in OT the last six years should be happy with silver. The US return a lot of good players, but their leading offensive guy and most of their defense are gone. Canada's team top to bottom is deeper and our defense is much stronger. If Roy or Visentin can play better than Allen did (can't be that hard), Canada's gonna be very tough to beat. Dave Cameron built this team his way, just like he has done in Mississauga and look how that's working out this year.

Who is going to score the goals? Visentin can stand on his head and the defense can be outstanding, but if you can't score, you're not going to win a lot of games.

Cameron has built a team that is very defensively focused. Hopefully not too much.

wjhl2009fan

Nov 13, 2008
CharlieGirl
No teams is a overwhelming favourite there are 4 teams that will compete for the gold and out of those 4 no team is the overwhelming favourite.A few years back it was the same thing people said who is going to score for canada it turned out they played a great team game and goals was not a issue.To say canada won't be able to keep up with them is false lets not forget the states won't have typical home ice advantage it will be 50/50.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
Yeah, the U.S. has traditionally underachieved in this event. I would say they were in the conversation as favorites most years post 2003, in particular 2005 and 2008.

They won in 04 when I don't think they were expected to...and they won last year when they kind of came under the radar as a young team. And they narrowly lost last year in the Olympics despite being rated 4 or 5. Coming off a 1996 World Cup win in which they were an unlikely favourite behind Russia and Canada, they lost in the quarters in Nagano with the same guard. Hell, back in 1980 they pulled off one of the biggest underdog stories in modern sports history.

The cockyness, bravado and satisfaction I saw from the American team at the conclusion of last years event appeared highly motivating for anyone on the oppositions side, especially a perennial tournament favourite in Canada. It had USA Hockey written all over it. I think those 8 returnees in particular are in for a world of butthurt if they make it far enough. Canada's lucky enough to make decisions on how they build their teams...and they built it to wipe the ice with the rest of the field with speed and physicality this year in response to last.

The best junior eligible player in college hockey right now is Jaden Schwartz...but because we've turned names like Eberle into folk heroes in recent years he's just another no-namer on this "blue-collared" team. Call me crazy but I'll eat crow if this team isn't the best one in the tournament.

Most outside Canadians won't like this post, even some Canadians. Quote it if I'm wrong....if history repeats itself I don't think I will be.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
They won in 04 when I don't think they were expected to...and they won last year when they kind of came under the radar as a young team. And they narrowly lost last year in the Olympics despite being rated 4 or 5. Coming off a 1996 World Cup win in which they were an unlikely favourite behind Russia and Canada, they lost in the quarters in Nagano with the same guard. Hell, back in 1980 they pulled off one of the biggest underdog stories in modern sports history.

The cockyness, bravado and satisfaction I saw from the American team at the conclusion of last years event appeared highly motivating for anyone on the oppositions side, especially a perennial tournament favourite in Canada. It had USA Hockey written all over it. I think those 8 returnees in particular are in for a world of butthurt if they make it far enough. Canada's lucky enough to make decisions on how they build their teams...and they built it to wipe the ice with the rest of the field with speed and physicality this year in response to last.

The best junior eligible player in college hockey right now is Jaden Schwartz...but because we've turned names like Eberle into folk heroes in recent years he's just another no-namer on this "blue-collared" team. Call me crazy but I'll eat crow if this team isn't the best one in the tournament.

Most outside Canadians won't like this post, even some Canadians. Quote it if I'm wrong....if history repeats itself I don't think I will be.

Well, the only problem with that is the U.S. team as a whole can skate just as well (if not better) and will be just as physical. Canada might be abl to punk the other teams, but it's not going to happen against the U.S.

wjhl2009fan

Nov 13, 2008
Well, the only problem with that is the U.S. team as a whole can skate just as well (if not better) and will be just as physical. Canada might be abl to punk the other teams, but it's not going to happen against the U.S.

Its hard to say who is to say even canada and the states will meet this year.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica

To be fair, you should use country instead of team, because this year's Team Canada is very much differant than the squad last year. On the flip side, the U.S. bringing back eight returnees, which includes the top six forwards, three of which have split time between the AHL and NHL this year. That is an advantage.

wjhl2009fan

Nov 13, 2008
To be fair, you should use country instead of team, because this year's Team Canada is very much differant than the squad last year. On the flip side, the U.S. bringing back eight returnees, which includes the top six forwards, three of which have split time between the AHL and NHL this year. That is an advantage.

Some times it is some time its not an advantage.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Its hard to say who is to say even canada and the states will meet this year.

A fair point, which is why I think it's a mistake for any team's brass to tailor it's squad to the strengths of one country, especially in Canada's case as they have a much tougher pool than the U.S.

wjhl2009fan

Nov 13, 2008
A fair point, which is why I think it's a mistake for any team's brass to tailor it's squad to the strengths of one country, especially in Canada's case as they have a much tougher pool than the U.S.

Yes but how will the states play with the presure playing at home in the past they have not played to great.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Some times it is some time its not an advantage.

Again, you're right but I think it will be this time since you're not talking about a bunch of random players sprinkled throughout a line-up. We're talking about an entire forward group (the top six). Another thing that doesn't get much pub is the fact that most of the d that will likely be named to the team came up through the USNTDP and has has success at the U18 level. So the familiarity is already there.

wjhl2009fan

Nov 13, 2008
Again, you're right but I think it will be this time since you're not talking about a bunch of random players sprinkled throughout a line-up. We're talking about an entire forward group (the top six). Another thing that doesn't get much pub is the fact that most of the d that will likely be named to the team came up through the USNTDP and has has success at the U18 level. So the familiarity is already there.

No were not just don't think its a lock the states will have a great tournemant

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Yes but how will the states play with the presure playing at home in the past they have not played to great.

Well, that hasn't happened too often has it? Boston, Grand Forks, and now Buffalo. Grand Forks was a fiasco die to questionable player selection and coaching. I don't see that happening this year.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Jack Campbell stands on his head and Jake Allen ***** the bed in the Gold medal game and all of a sudden the USA is the greatest junior nation on earth

bruinsfan46

Dec 2, 2006
London, ON
Who is going to score the goals? Visentin can stand on his head and the defense can be outstanding, but if you can't score, you're not going to win a lot of games.

Cameron has built a team that is very defensively focused. Hopefully not too much.

Schenn, Schwartz, Connolly, Johansen, Couturier, Kassian, Leblanc, etc. The top nine Canadian forwards are gonna be big, fast, tough, but they will be able to score. Especially down the middle Canada is deeper up front than anybody. Who's gonna do all this scoring for the US we're so worried about? D'Amigo is gonna catch lighting in a bottle twice? Guys like Morin and Kreider are very good, they probably have us beat with top notch wingers but if Canada's defense can do their thing we should be able to more than compete.

wjhl2009fan

Nov 13, 2008
Well, that hasn't happened too often has it? Boston, Grand Forks, and now Buffalo. Grand Forks was a fiasco die to questionable player selection and coaching. I don't see that happening this year.

There have been some questionable moves this year leaving price off the team could really come back to haunt this team.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $365.00