WJC: Team Canada built to beat Americans in Buffalo

nafsregnar27

Jul 31, 2010
Central California
Hi TulareHockeyFan 91...

I don't think I am bitter (not a bitter person :) ) but I would be lying if I said I was not disappointed by last years results.

Sorry if you feel I put the US down. I was trying to be objective. I just think that people are over estimating the US team and under estimating Canada. I just was commenting on the posts that were made.

Be well...

I put the under/over estimating of team all on the media but I prefer to be objective too. I can understand Canadians being bitter about the loss but I guess I'm just one of those people who can't stand seeing teams (with my fav prospects) brought down, but I also have my moments of being bias too. You have one bitter loss but imagine the Americans who have 6 straight against Canada. So Canada, in my eyes, will never be an underdog, not with the depth of players they produce.

CharlieGirl

Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site
I don't get it... We win 5 years in a row. We dominate to the point where people (including the Hockey News) were suggesting we send multiple teams just to give other teams a chance. We lose one year, in the Gold Medal game in OT without our best 8 players being on the team and people are now, all of a sudden, questioning Hockey Canada. Questioning us as a Hockey Nation. Questioning us as the premier Hockey Nation.

We sure love to eat our own in this country!!! :(

As fans, we are very much entitled to question the choices made by Hockey Canada. It has nothing to do with slamming Canada as a country or a hockey nation.

I'm not a fan of some of the choices, and as I said earlier - I hope I'm dead wrong. I just don't see any high end skill there, but I do see a lot of 3rd line players. Any successful team has a strong 3rd line. But not three or four of them.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

I put the under/over estimating of team all on the media but I prefer to be objective too. I can understand Canadians being bitter about the loss but I guess I'm just one of those people who can't stand seeing teams (with my fav prospects) brought down, but I also have my moments of being bias too. You have one bitter loss but imagine the Americans who have 6 straight against Canada. So Canada, in my eyes, will never be an underdog, not with the depth of players they produce.

Thanks for letting me know I was putting the US down. More importantly, thanks for being diplomatic about it. Thanks for handling as well as you did.

Have a Merry Christmas buddy and see you in Buffalo.

:)

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

As fans, we are very much entitled to question the choices made by Hockey Canada. It has nothing to do with slamming Canada as a country or a hockey nation.

I'm not a fan of some of the choices, and as I said earlier - I hope I'm dead wrong. I just don't see any high end skill there, but I do see a lot of 3rd line players. Any successful team has a strong 3rd line. But not three or four of them.

I hope you are wrong too (wink).

nafsregnar27

Jul 31, 2010
Central California
Thanks for letting me know I was putting the US down. More importantly, thanks for being diplomatic about it. Thanks for handling as well as you did.

Have a Merry Christmas buddy and see you in Buffalo.

Your not being sarcastic, are you? With the people in this board you never know, so I have to ask. But I really envy you right now, I live no where near Buffalo, so I have to settle for TV coverage. Happy Holidays and a Merry Christmas to you too.

Go Rangers and Kings prospects!!!

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

Your not being sarcastic, are you? With the people in this board you never know, so I have to ask. But I really envy you right now, I live no where near Buffalo, so I have to settle for TV coverage. Happy Holidays and a Merry Christmas to you too.

Go Rangers and Kings prospects!!!

:) No... I was being sincere.

You could have blasted me for what I said. You could have started a fight. You didn't. You wrote it in a way that allowed me to see it from your perspective and I realized I was be too aggresive in what I wrote.

As Canadians, we take our hockey seriously. Maybe too seriously and we don't realize that others love their teams too. :) Or, at least, I didn't.

I think if you read my other posts you will see that I am straight forward, say what I feel and I don't try to make it personal or attack anyone.

Be well... :)

PS... I have tickets to the WJR's and my father keeps telling me to sell my Gold Medal tickets (my section is going for $400 - $600 per ticket on Stub Hub). But, I tell him, this is a once in a lifetime experience.

Of course, if Canada loses or doesn't make it to the Gold Medal game (and the ticket prices dive) I may regret it but... life is too short for regrets. :)

AmazingNuck

Mar 27, 2010
Vancouver
Initially I did not like the exclusion of RNH/Murphy but man, this team looks great. I love the physicality littered throughout this lineup. Can anyone tell me why McIlrath wasn't included on the team?

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
They won in 04 when I don't think they were expected to...and they won last year when they kind of came under the radar as a young team. And they narrowly lost last year in the Olympics despite being rated 4 or 5. Coming off a 1996 World Cup win in which they were an unlikely favourite behind Russia and Canada, they lost in the quarters in Nagano with the same guard. Hell, back in 1980 they pulled off one of the biggest underdog stories in modern sports history.

The cockyness, bravado and satisfaction I saw from the American team at the conclusion of last years event appeared highly motivating for anyone on the oppositions side, especially a perennial tournament favourite in Canada. It had USA Hockey written all over it. I think those 8 returnees in particular are in for a world of butthurt if they make it far enough. Canada's lucky enough to make decisions on how they build their teams...and they built it to wipe the ice with the rest of the field with speed and physicality this year in response to last.

The best junior eligible player in college hockey right now is Jaden Schwartz...but because we've turned names like Eberle into folk heroes in recent years he's just another no-namer on this "blue-collared" team. Call me crazy but I'll eat crow if this team isn't the best one in the tournament.

Most outside Canadians won't like this post, even some Canadians. Quote it if I'm wrong....if history repeats itself I don't think I will be.

haha cockiness of the Americans,this from a team Canada fan lol like they have not been that way forever .About time someone stuck it in their faces,they only been that way forever,

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

haha cockiness of the Americans,this from a team Canada fan lol like they have not been that way forever .About time someone stuck it in their faces,they only been that way forever,

Hi BradPark,

With all due respect, I have read what you wrote 3 times and I don't know what the heck you are trying to say.

:(

Nedved

Mar 30, 2008
canada better redeem themselves, at the pace of junior championships they've won I can't handle back to back tournament losses. Gold or bridge jumping for this guy.

17Kurri

Apr 10, 2010
Oh not this dressing room celebration nontroversy again... It's their dressing room ffs. Anyone who complaints about that stuff needs to learn how to relax a little and have fun.

Yah, I agree. So they had a celebration...so what?

Quite frankly, I wouldn't have been terribly upset if they'd done it on the ice, either. They earned the right to celebrate. I hope Canada does the same thing, even on the ice, if we happen to come out with gold, which I believe we will.

Might it give whatever country we beat more motivation for next year? Maybe. But who cares? You should be coming to these types of events supremely motivated in the first place and expecting the same level of motivation from your opponents.

Usually, however, excessive celebrations are typical of those who don't expect to win... :D ;)

Last edited:

17Kurri

Apr 10, 2010
Initially I did not like the exclusion of RNH/Murphy but man, this team looks great. I love the physicality littered throughout this lineup. Can anyone tell me why McIlrath wasn't included on the team?

Probably because his skating, while not terrible, is not close to the par of those selected.

Brew

The top of HF’s most disliked
Sep 22, 2007
The US has to be the overwhelming favourites - a ton of returnees, defending champs, and a good balance between speed, skill, and size. I don't see Canada being able to keep up with them.

I've been wrong about Team Canada before, but if they can manage a silver they should be happy.

Wont be happy with anything less than Gold

17Kurri

Apr 10, 2010
You got that right!!! :)

+2.

I'm sure the players would be happy with a silver (and why shouldn't they be?), but if the goal isn't a gold, why even show up?

I don't get this "happy to be here" attitude, especially from fans of a perennial favourite.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad