Team Canada (AUS) for 2013 FISU World University Games

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Where is Brad Peddle? Why did he not go to FISU?

The announcers on the St. FX web-cast just mentioned that Jason Bast, who was picked as an alternate for the team, was informed a day or two before they were set to leave that he would not be traveling with the team. As a result, Peddle decided against going as well. Can anyone shed anymore light on this story? I can't imagine the coaching staff would wait until the last-minute on purpose before telling him, I assume there was a good reason??

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
The announcers on the St. FX web-cast just mentioned that Jason Bast, who was picked as an alternate for the team, was informed a day or two before they were set to leave that he would not be traveling with the team. As a result, Peddle decided against going as well. Can anyone shed anymore light on this story? I can't imagine the coaching staff would wait until the last-minute on purpose before telling him, I assume there was a good reason??

If I had to guess, I'd say they were waiting to find out whether Carroll could go or not.

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
There has to be more to it than what is being said, I can not see him backing out at the last second because an alternate player is not going to make the trip.

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
There is more involved. Those who have heard what happened don't want to get into repeating hearsay and rumours, or break confidences from what has been learned in off-the-record chats. We're waiting for someone in the working media to get some details on the record and out to the public.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
There is no chance of anything getting out to the public. Despite their feelings, AUS coaches Will Not say anything that will be made public. They would rather complain among themselves. I was speaking with a member of the UdeM 'executive' after the game last night. We chatted about several things, including recruiting 'violations'. His opinion, and one that I share, is that no one will say much because EVERYONE is doing something that could be considered 'wrong'.

Last edited:

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
There is more involved. Those who have heard what happened don't want to get into repeating hearsay and rumours, or break confidences from what has been learned in off-the-record chats. We're waiting for someone in the working media to get some details on the record and out to the public.

I suspect that someone's nose got out of joint when Sparks was named video coach for the team, it's not a secret that they are not the best of friends.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
I suspect that someone's nose got out of joint when Sparks was named video coach for the team, it's not a secret that they are not the best of friends.

You are so far off base that you're not even in the same ballpark as some of us. No offense intended, but just give it up. But, if you do find anything out, let us know....

agent

Jul 15, 2006
saskatchewan
Answers to the Million dollar question

There is no chance of anything getting out to the public. Despite their feelings, AUS coaches Will Not say anything that will be made public. They would rather complain among themselves. I was speaking with a member of the UdeM 'executive' after the game last night. We chatted about several things, including recruiting 'violations'. His opinion, and one that I share, is that no one will say much because EVERYONE is doing something that could be considered 'wrong'.

:shakehead Its to embarrassing to many people involved, so I won't tell it on a message board but feel free to email me at [email protected] for insight .

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
I'm not sure if I can post the article here. If someone can assure me that it is OK to do so, I will post it for those who don't have access to the Gleaner. I don't have a link and if I did the Gleaner has a pay wall.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
I'm not sure if I can post the article here. If someone can assure me that it is OK to do so, I will post it for those who don't have access to the Gleaner. I don't have a link and if I did the Gleaner has a pay wall.

You could quote an excerpt from the story.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Yes

You may post excerpts with a link to the complete article or your summation of the article with a link to the complete article.

hyster110

Mar 21, 2011
anyone have a link that someone can access, i tried to google the paper but it requires a subscription to read

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
Gleaner has had a paywall for a while now, so no sense posting the link. Coles notes of the article:
Bast was told that he would be going, even during the selection camp. Was told that he was going and to pack, his parents were told by Brad that he would be going, they purchased tickets. Two days before they were to leave, AUS (or maybe CIS) steps in and says that he can't go.
So Brad was mad that this was done and stood by his player and decided not to go.
Now two things, Brad is quoted in the article saying that he would have given up his seat, but that makes no sense, why give up a seat to a kid who can only go over and watch, he was not on the roster? There is definitely some bitterness in the quotes in the article, and no secret that the two do not like each other, so this could have been doomed from the beginning.

Second, it's not quite clear how the final decision was made and why, if it was the CIS or AUS and they were waiting on a player to be deemed healthy, don't you think it is a bit late to determine a players status two days before you fly out? I know with concussions it is hard to give a firm timeline with return but don't you think that someone should have placed a firm deadline on whether that player was going or not, like a week out.
Personally, I admire that Peddle stood up for his player, but at the same time, he was an alternate player, and if circumstances dictated that the roster player in which he was replacing was healthy enough to travel, then why all the drama?

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
It was an AUS decision on who is on the team, or not. AUS sets its own rule about the minimum of one representative per team. FISU sets the rules on the roster size, and has been pointed out before, the only "alternate" that FISU allows is a third goalie for injury replacement (one of the two starters has to be deemed injured for the third goalie to dress in a game).

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
If you are a UNB or STU student, or UNB staff or faculty, you can search for and read the article, or any article from the Gleaner, T-J, T&T and other papers such as the S-P in Saskatoon.

From the UNB Libraries home page you choose the 'Journals & Newspapers' tab in the top left search box. Within that box choose the 'Newspaper packages' link. You have many choices on the next screen, but the easiest is the first one: 'Canadian Newspapers FULLTEXT (Infomart)'. Then type 'peddle' in the 'Find' window and press the 'SEARCH' button. Then scroll down and read the story.

An excerpt:

"Jason was promised he was going," Peddle said, "and two days before we were supposed to leave, he was told he wasn't going. And I wasn't OK with that.

"Promises were made to him, promises were made to me and, if you want to take it a step further, I had promised that kid's parents that he was going, and they booked flights to Italy."

Peddle even offered to give his seat up to Bast, but that was rejected.

While disappointed with how things unfolded, MacDougall says there was no simple solution.

"It was more of an AUS matter," MacDougall said. "It was really unfortunate. Brad and I, as a coaching staff, we had a plan in place, but it didn't work out the way we envisioned at that time, and we had to move on.

"We have a ruling body that looks after the final approval on those (roster decisions)," MacDougall said. "It's unfortunate, but in the big picture it worked out for the group. It's unfortunate in Jason's case because we had him pegged in. We had a plan in place but we had to divert the plan at the last minute."

"It wasn't my choice to name Jason as an alternate," Peddle said, "but Gardiner had his reasons. In saying that, when Jason was named an alternate he was also promised that he'd be going right from the selection camp."

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
You're missing the point. The decision was made at the camp to keep (mod edit)Vandall out of his spot before he had even played a game to see if he was healthy. When Gardiner was asked about Vandals' possible replacement with another Dal player, he waffled and did not give a firm answer. The Fix Was In From The Outset.
To blame the situation on the AUS, as Gardiner appears to be doing, is disingenuous. Knowing that each team HAD to have at least one player, the only way Bast was going was if there was an injury to someone other than a Dal player.
They "had a plan in place" and had to divert when Dal wouldn't roll over and give up their spot. A sordid affair all round. But what the heck... They won Gold, Gards and Sparky get medals, Peds did the right thing after doing the wrong thing at the outset. I thought that Bast should have made the team outright over Slaney.
One less Christmas card for Peds to send out next year. :)

Edit: I know, my bias is showing........ I'll save you from saying it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
You're missing the point. The decision was made at the camp to keep(mod edit) Vandall out of his spot before he had even played a game to see if he was healthy. When Gardiner was asked about Vandals' possible replacement with another Dal player, he waffled and did not give a firm answer. The Fix Was In From The Outset.
To blame the situation on the AUS, as Gardiner appears to be doing, is disingenuous. Knowing that each team HAD to have at least one player, the only way Bast was going was if there was an injury to someone other than a Dal player.
They "had a plan in place" and had to divert when Dal wouldn't roll over and give up their spot. A sordid affair all round. But what the heck... They won Gold, Gards and Sparky get medals, Peds did the right thing after doing the wrong thing at the outset. I thought that Bast should have made the team outright over Slaney.
One less Christmas card for Peds to send out next year. :)

Edit: I know, my bias is showing........ I'll save you from saying it.
Actually "Gards" and "Sparky" don't get medals, was told that the coaches don't get them. Find it quite amusing that Peddle was trying to take the high road and make others look like the bad guys, when he was just as much involved as the rest. Curious to see how clear the rules were when an injury was involved, I suspect that a few got caught with their hands in the cookie jar.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad