Team Canada (AUS) for 2013 FISU World University Games

gleanerguy

Nov 27, 2009
Watched the Saturday morning scrimmage...the speed and the skill on the big ice were unbelievable. All that talent together...Team Canada will be an awesome lineup. Not to mention they were missing the four Huskies, Jason Bast, MacNeil and Carroll...that's one third of the probable roster right there.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
AUS All-Star Game

Thought I would resurrect this thread for those looking for links on 26th WUG 2013.

You can also review the history of the move from Slovenia to Italy in the original thread.

HFBoards Thread - 26th Winter WUG Moves

All-Star Game

AUS All-Star Game Press Release

Foil and I met with Gardiner after the UdeM game on Saturday. Plans as to the game format are not final - they play four(4) 15 periods since this is a bit of a showcase - no need to be 100% conventional.

The team will be announced Saturday morning and practices start that day on the GH Olympic rink.

If I recall what Gardiner said, they arrive on the 8th and start play on the 11th.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
WUG Team Canada Schedule

A quick look at the WUG Website revealed the current proposed Men's Hockey Schedule.

Day 0 (Tue. Dec. 10) Canada vs Japan-JPN
Day 3 (Fri. Dec. 13) Canada vs Ukraine-UKR
Day 5 (Sun. Dec. 15) Canada vs Kazakhstan-KAZ
--
Day 8 (Wed. Dec. 18) Quarter-Finals
Day 10 (Fri. Dec. 20) Semi-Finals
Day 11 (Sat. Dec. 21) Finals (Alba di Canazei rink)

Pool-x
USA, SWE, ITA, LAT

Pool-y (the pool of death)
RUS, SVK, CZE, GBR

Top 8 teams advance to Quarterfinals. My guess, as I can't find the regulations, top 2 teams in each pool plus the top two third placed teams = 8. Each of the teams would be ranked from 1 to 8 with pts & GF/GA used as tie breakers - then pair off 1v8 & 3v6 on the top bracket and 2v7 & 4v5 on the bottom.

New Teams from 2011: ITA, LAT, SWE, UKR & GER
Teams not returning from 2011: TUR, BEL, KOR, ESP & SLO

2011 TOP 4: RUS-Gold, BEL-Silver, CAN-Bronze (lost 4-2 to RUS in the Semi's), KAZ-4th

2011 WUG Hockey Results

Last edited:

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
CIS Release on the Team

2013 Winter Universiade: CIS announces Canadian men’s hockey roster

Goaltenders

Jonathan Groenheyde St. Thomas 2 Surrey, B.C. Arts
Anthony Peters Saint Mary’s 3 Blyth, Ont. Commerce
Wayne Savage UPEI 4 St. Thomas, Ont. Arts

Defencemen

Josh Day StFX 5 St. John’s, Nfld. Arts
Marc-Antoine Desnoyers UNB 4 Saint-Hippolyte, Que. Business Administration
Michael D’Orazio Saint Mary’s 3 Richmond Hill, Ont. Commerce
Simon Lacroix Moncton 4 Orleans, Ont. Accounting
Matthew Maione UPEI 4 Unionville, Ont. Arts
Christopher Owens Acadia 4 St. John’s, Nfld. Business Administration
Alex Wall UPEI 3 Mount Pearl, Nfld. Science

Forwards

Lucas Bloodoff Saint Mary’s 4 Castlegar, B.C. Commerce
Tyler Carroll UNB 3 Strathroy, Ont. Rec. & Sports Studies
Mike Cazzola Acadia 2 Guelph, Ont. Kinesiology
Chris Culligan UNB 5 Howie Center, N.S. Rec. & Sports Studies
Chris Desousa UPEI 3 Mississauga, Ont. Arts
Eric Faille Moncton 4 Lachine, Que. Accounting
Liam Heelis Acadia 3 Georgetown, Ont. Science
Michael Kirkpatrick StFX 3 North Sydney, N.S. Business Administration
Nick MacNeil UNB 4 Creignish, N.S. Business Administration
Rob Slaney StFX 4 Portugal Cove, Nfld. Human Kinetics
Cory Tanaka Saint Mary’s 5 Stouffville, Ont. MBA
Pierre Vandall Dalhousie 4 St-Louis-de-France, Que. Engineering

Alternate (forward)
Jason Bast StFX 4 Regina, Sask. Human Kinetics

For those keeping track - I was 1-3 for Goalies, 3-7 for DMen and 8-12 for Forwards, 12 for 22 (I didn't consider injured players, Carroll or Vandall, so I'm 12 for 20).

Last edited:

CanWestFan

Mar 19, 2011
According to the webcast schedule as of this morning, it looks like none of the Team Canada round robin hockey games (men or women) will be on live webcast. Will have to wait until the men's quarter finals in order to watch the team live. Looks like there will be daily highlights...but who knows how in depth those will be.

Here is the link for the webcast schedule...

http://english.cis-sic.ca/universiade/winter/2013/files/Streaming_schedule_Trentino.xls

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
CIS Release on the Team

2013 Winter Universiade: CIS announces Canadian men’s hockey roster

Goaltenders

Jonathan Groenheyde St. Thomas 2 Surrey, B.C. Arts
Anthony Peters Saint Mary’s 3 Blyth, Ont. Commerce
Wayne Savage UPEI 4 St. Thomas, Ont. Arts

Defencemen

Josh Day StFX 5 St. John’s, Nfld. Arts
Marc-Antoine Desnoyers UNB 4 Saint-Hippolyte, Que. Business Administration
Michael D’Orazio Saint Mary’s 3 Richmond Hill, Ont. Commerce
Simon Lacroix Moncton 4 Orleans, Ont. Accounting
Matthew Maione UPEI 4 Unionville, Ont. Arts
Christopher Owens Acadia 4 St. John’s, Nfld. Business Administration
Alex Wall UPEI 3 Mount Pearl, Nfld. Science

Forwards

Lucas Bloodoff Saint Mary’s 4 Castlegar, B.C. Commerce
Tyler Carroll UNB 3 Strathroy, Ont. Rec. & Sports Studies
Mike Cazzola Acadia 2 Guelph, Ont. Kinesiology
Chris Culligan UNB 5 Howie Center, N.S. Rec. & Sports Studies
Chris Desousa UPEI 3 Mississauga, Ont. Arts
Eric Faille Moncton 4 Lachine, Que. Accounting
Liam Heelis Acadia 3 Georgetown, Ont. Science
Michael Kirkpatrick StFX 3 North Sydney, N.S. Business Administration
Nick MacNeil UNB 4 Creignish, N.S. Business Administration
Rob Slaney StFX 4 Portugal Cove, Nfld. Human Kinetics
Cory Tanaka Saint Mary’s 5 Stouffville, Ont. MBA
Pierre Vandall Dalhousie 4 St-Louis-de-France, Que. Engineering

Alternate (forward)
Jason Bast StFX 4 Regina, Sask. Human Kinetics

For those keeping track - I was 1-3 for Goalies, 3-7 for DMen and 8-12 for Forwards, 12 for 22 (I didn't consider injured players, Carroll or Vandall, so I'm 12 for 20).

Interesting breakdown by home province:

B.C. 2
Sask. 1
Ont. 10
Que. 3
N.S. 3
Nfld. 4

Is this indicative of the province of origin for the league as a whole?

Only 3 players were born in an AUS hockey province. There are more players from Newfoundland than any other Atlantic province, and they don't have a team.

And NOBODY from PEI or New Brunswick was picked.

:amazed:

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
Potential Brackets

Pool 'A' is wrapped up, Pool 'C' is almost wrapped up and we know that KAZ and CDN will be 1-2 with 9 and 6 points each. Pool 'B' finishes up on Monday.

This is my best guess at the the top 8 depending on the out come of the RUS/SVK game, which is the only 'real' game that matters. This is just a SWAG no need to jump all over me with a dozen other things that could happen - just bored.

bracket.jpg

TC has 6 pts along with Italy. Assuming that differential is the first time breaker between non-playing opponents - TC is ahead +20 to +4 and sits 3rd in most cases. RUS has 6pts and can get to 9 with a win or 7 with an OTL. A Reg. loss leaves them with 6 but TC has a better + rating and remains 3rd.

So - it looks like TC's Quarterfinal game is either USA or ITA from Pool 'A'. Not easy, but not hard. All three teams will be playing with 2 days rest.

ps. I like the first scenario as it leads to rematches of CAN/KAZ & RUS/SVK and a final against 'unknowns'

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
US players are from the ACHA, Div 3 teams. The NCAA schools only release players to the IIHF under 20.

ACHA Div I teams (members are selected from the 57 teams over the 7 conferences).

The University of Arizona team has no team members on the USA WUG Team and are 4th out of 6 teams in the ACHA-WCHL standings - York will be playing UoA twice in early January.

Arizona State have 5 members on the US Squad. They are ranked #1 in the ACHA D1 with a record of 23-0-0. I would have liked to see how York measures up against them instead.

Last edited:

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
Playoff Matchups

#4 CAN vs #5 SVK in the second Quarter final at their rink on Wednesday. The game before them is #2 KAZ vs #7 LAT.

From what I can gather - the winners of each pool were seeded 1-2-3. The runner-ups were seeded 4-5-6 and the last two were placed as 7-8. I'm not sure how CZE has a lower ranking than LAT - they are both 1-1-0-1 (4 pts) but CZE has a +4 rating vs 0 for LAT and they get to play seed #1.:shakehead

Canada hopes to win and advance to play the winner of RUS/CZE.:handclap:

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
Live Feed

Looks like only the QF games from the Gianmario Scola Arena - Canazei will be live-streamed. These are - #1 RUS/#8 CZE and #3 ITA/#6 USA. I guess we'll have to wait for the SF games (cross your fingers).

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
A big 6-0 win for TC in their Semi-Final game vs SVK (3-0, 1-0,2-0). Shots were 47:17.

TC now plays RUS in the first Semi-final on Friday while KAZ plays the USA in the late Semi-final.

Interesting coincidence - TC-Women will be playing RUS for Gold in a different arena soon after the TC/RUS men's game is over.

Only the Men's games on Friday will be live-streamed.

SuperSquirrel

Aug 28, 2008
A big 6-0 win for TC in their Semi-Final game vs SVK (3-0, 1-0,2-0). Shots were 47:17.

TC now plays RUS in the first Semi-final on Friday while KAZ plays the USA in the late Semi-final.

Interesting coincidence - TC-Women will be playing RUS for Gold in a different arena soon after the TC/RUS men's game is over.

Only the Men's games on Friday will be live-streamed.

Drummer, can you by any chance provide the link where the men's games will be streamed? Thanks.

habsrule4eva3089

Nov 22, 2008
Anyone see that comedy of a final this morning? Lol GOLD Medal nonetheless :handclap: Never seen both coaches kicked out of a game like that haha.

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
Anyone see that comedy of a final this morning? Lol GOLD Medal nonetheless :handclap: Never seen both coaches kicked out of a game like that haha.

I have heard that many times today, I am not sure if anyone has.

What a gong show that was, KAZ was taking a bunch of penalties and frustration set in. I am not sure what led to the ejections, but both coaches for the KAZ team were thrown out (along with 6 KAZ players).

rethinking

Mar 4, 2013
Team Canada shouldn't be blamed for their opponents behaviour on the ice. Team Canada totally outshot and out-classed Team Kazakhstan and they couldn't deal with it after their previous 4-2 over Canada.
Hopefully, the win over Russia with 9 KHL players will enlighten some Maritime fans as to the skill level of these AUS players and of the AUS league.
Congratulations to the entire staff and all the players on a fantastic job of representing the AUS and Canada.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Great performance from Team Canada ( AUS ).

Congrats to the players and staff - Gardiner, Forbie, Sparky, Joe and Serge.

Wait a minute.... Where is Brad Peddle? Why did he not go to FISU?

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
What happened?

The KAZ team was taking some liberties with their body checks and had two players ejected after the mid-point of the second period. One was for an obvious check-to-the-head (Tyler Carroll was the recipient - retalization to his cross check a few seconds earlier that was being called by the ref) and another was a spear/hook in front of the KAZ net (I think Cazzola was the recipient). Each of the players was assessed a 5min Maj. and GM. Along with a host of other minors for the period - KAZ played 13 of 20min in the period with at least 1 guy in the box (sometimes two).

The coaches got frustrated early in the third when KAZ was tagged for 4 straight minors at 3:58-Slash, 5:41-Boarding (17 sec of 5-3), 7:49-DoG (after 7 secs of 5-on-5) and 8:16-Slash (1:33 of 5-on-3).

The Head Coach started to hand wave at the ref and mouth off. I was surprised to see the Assist. Coach get ejected - it didn't look like he was doing anything, but then the camera wasn't on him that much.

The following occurs with the score 6-2, KAZ scored their 2nd 2min earlier at 12:27.

1) 14:23 (3rd) - delay penalty call on TC. A CDN player rushes the goalie who has come out to play the puck and goofs it up. The TC player touches the puck - whistle goes. Then the goalie swings his stick at the player (misses). Dman jumps in and grabs TC player and then DeSousa comes to his rescue which starts a fight with him and the DMan. This is the only incident that is reported as fighting called 'Fisticuffs' on the report for DeSousa while the KAZ player got 5 for Rouging and GM (all Majors come with a GM)

2) 18:05 (3rd) - MacNeil goes to the front of the net while a line mate is behind the net. The KAZ defender soft-punches Nick on the side of the face. Nick turns and they start to go at it. Despite the punches - 5min Roughing and GM for both

TC calls a Time Out to calm things down. No scrum or play designs just a rest.

3) 19:11 (3rd) - Desnoyers hits a KAZ player from behind. The ref's hand is up for the call (on the report it's listed as a 2min Boarding Call). Desnoyers remains standing (oops - shouldn't have done that - my bad), but doesn't do anything as the puck has moved a few feet away and his partner is trying to play it. The KAZ forward has Desnoyers' partner tied up and slew-foots him to the ground and is about to punch him, but stops as the TC player has covered his face. The whistle goes. The KAZ forward and Desnoyers ' partner separate. A separate KAZ player comes into the group and starts to fight Desnoyers. In this case - 5min for Roughing and GMs for both. Desnoyers' original minor is offset by a minor called on the KAZ goalie who left his net.

KAZ calls a timeout once everything settles down.

We then finish the game - despite Peters holding the puck - the timer lets the last 2 seconds run out.

My PoV - KAZ became unglued and just wasn't prepared to adjust their game and/or got frustrated and took dumb penalties. They started every fight. Credit TC for playing a fast and aggressive game that KAZ wasn't prepared for. Also worth noting that KAZ had 8 players from their 2011 team that lost Bronze to CDN in Turkey - 2 of the three fighting ejections for KAZ were on the 2011 team.

Last edited:

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
Pretty fair assessment of the game. Although the TC player did shoot the puck in the net before the goalie tried to slash him. And thought that Desouza jumped the defenseman, he certainly held his own vs the 6'6" guy. Although, thought it was pretty classless for him to carrying on after the fight like he was, we were up 6-2 at that point and should have just skated off.
The MacNeil incident, the KAZ player definitely suckered him from behind, not sure if MacNeil even dropped his gloves. Just curious if any discipline will carry over to the AUS games. Also if Tyler Carroll is injured or he was sat out just for precautionary reasons.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
The MacNeil incident, the KAZ player definitely suckered him from behind, not sure if MacNeil even dropped his gloves. Just curious if any discipline will carry over to the AUS games. Also if Tyler Carroll is injured or he was sat out just for precautionary reasons.

The MacNeil play was the worst of the bunch I think...he didn't even see it coming...a complete blindside punch to the head from behind.

As for Carroll, they showed him on the bench towards the end of the game so I am hopeful that he was just slightly dinged up after that hit and they didn't risk putting him back out there with the game in hand. I assume if it was anything too bad he would have been back in the locker room.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad