Team Canada (AUS) for 2013 FISU World University Games

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
The Spring evaluation camp is this weekend in Fredericton.

Here's the list of invitees as they appear on the schedule. I'm guessing INJ is injured?:

Anthony Peters, Alex Emond, Charles Lavigne, Wayne Savage, Dana Fraser, Mike D’Oozio (INJ) [they meant D'Orazio obviously], Drew Owsley, Eric Faille, Marc A Desnoyers, Cullen Morin, Jordan Knox, Adrian Robertson, Chris Owens, Mike Kirkpatrick, Ben Shutron, Matt Maoine, Mike Cazzola, Daine Todd, Samuel Groulx, Brett Thompson, Chris Culligan, Josh Day, Chris Desousa, Jason Bast (INJ), Simon Lacroix, Robert Slaney, Stephen Johnston(INJ), Alex Wall, Liam Heelis, Cam Braes, Reggie Tracitto, Lucas Bloodoff, Corey Tanaka(INJ), Spencer McAvoy, Nick MacNeil, Pierre Vandalle, Tyler Carroll, Ryan Hillier, Matt Tipoff(INJ), Brennan Wray, Dustin Ekelman, Stephen Sanza, Spencer Anderson, Jon Groenheyde

Interesting to see the name of a guy who have yet to play in the AUS: Slaney

EDIT: I originally had Anderson in this post as not playing yet, but of course he was a rookie with Acadia. Oops.

Last edited:

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Not sure how obvious it is. All three will be 5th year players. Does Gards want a bunch of 5th year guys........

wolf13

Mar 4, 2013
Not sure how obvious it is. All three will be 5th year players. Does Gards want a bunch of 5th year guys........

Seeing how Gardiner is coaching the team along with MacPherson and Peddle I would have to think they would have a pretty good idea what players from those teams will be back next year. Why would you waste a spot on someone who wasn't coming back?

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Well it is just an identification camp, just like the World Juniors do in the summer. Guys will probably get rated and ranked, and sometime in the fall once the AUS season is underway they'll probably announce their finals cuts/team. I believe this is the first time they've done an identification camp in the off-season, so ya, there's a chance that there will be guys in camp this weekend who may turn pro before September. So be it.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Talking with Gardiner in Moncton during the playoffs and he mentioned having this camp as a way of getting the players to know each other off the ice. He observed (correctly) that the 2007 team was a bit "fractured" <my word> because a lot of the players didn't know the other guys. Obviously, it all worked out, but his point is understandable. Plus, Gards is a stickler for detail. As Foyle said this camp is just to identify guys, meet and greet, observe chemistry and potential leaders, etc.

gleanerguy

Nov 27, 2009
Fifth year guys worked out OK for him this year...LaCosta, Pridham, Swan, Fullerton...all adding jewelery....

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
Well it is just an identification camp, just like the World Juniors do in the summer. Guys will probably get rated and ranked, and sometime in the fall once the AUS season is underway they'll probably announce their finals cuts/team. I believe this is the first time they've done an identification camp in the off-season, so ya, there's a chance that there will be guys in camp this weekend who may turn pro before September. So be it.

That's the same story I got from Gardiner during the playoffs when I asked - just a camp at this point for everyone to meet. 20% of the hopefuls could change given personal decisions over the summer.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
Wug 2013

Here is the link to the game's site

http://www.universiadetrentino.org/

The Hockey Schedule is as follows:

Games start on the 10th. Actual teams have not been assigned to pools yet. There are three(3) Pools of four for 12 teams.

Dec. 10th to 16th - Pool games (4 teams means 3 games each)
Dec. 17th - #3 v #4 games (#1 & #2s plus next best 2 teams advance)
Dec. 18th Quarter Finals
Dec. 19th QF Losers
Dec. 20th Semi Finals
Dec. 21st Medal Games

There are two arenas; Alba di Canazei & Cavalese, both are close to the game's accommodations. The Semi's and Finals are in Alba
di Canazei

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
Podium

Here is the podium for individual events - love the numbering idea with the year (can't do it again until 2103)

Cavalese-Mondiali-2013-palco-premiazioni-piazza-dei-Campioni-by-Claudio-Delvai-p-1024x764.jpg

STUTOMMIES

Jul 23, 2008
Fredericton
A pair of inter-squad games, open to the public, highlight the Saturday calendar, with the first game from 12:30 to 2:15 p.m. and the second from 9 to 10:45 p.m.

The camp wraps up Sunday with the third inter-squad game of the weekend from 1:30 to 3:15 p.m. Admission for each game is $5, which helps defray the cost of the camp.

Above from the Daily Gleaner.

Last night there were three teams, White, Green, and Black all playing 2 games against each other in a 4 on 4 round robin tournament. Forbes MacPherson and Brad Peddle coaching the teams while Ned Flanders handled the announcing duties from the penalty box.

It came down to Black vs. White in the "finals" with White winning in 6 to 2. Cam Critchlow scored 2 goals in the last 50 seconds to flatter the score. Ryan Hiller looked really good out there and Mike Kirkpatrick had some nifty moves. Cazzola and Thompson from Acadia are a couple of dandies. Critchlow is no slouch either.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
Team Canada

Can anyone speculate who will make this team:

Goal: Peters, Savage, Lavigne or Groenheyde?

Defence: Owens, Dorazio, Desnoires, Shutron, Todd, McAvoy, Maione, Slaney or Josh Day

Forwards: Bloodoff, Hillier,Tanaka,Johnson, Kirkpatrick,Bast, Thompson,Cazzolla, Knox, Faille, Carroll, McNeil, Culligan,Tracitto

This is just a wild guess, who's next?

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
In 2007 we took 3 goalies and played 1 for all except one period (or two???).

Peters, Savage,Groenheyde (Drop Savage if only 2 goalies)

Owens, Shutron, Robertson, D'Orazio, Maione, Groulx, Todd ( Todd is a swingman in case they lose a forward)

Vandall, Carroll, Faille, Cazzola, Johnson, Knox, Culligan, Bast, Kirkpatrick, Anderson, Hillier, Sanza (Drop Sanza if 2 goalies and insert Fraser)

Alternates: MacNeil, Ekelman, Slaney (but no one has seen him play)

gleanerguy

Nov 27, 2009
Hillier, deSousa both looked good in the morning scrimmage...I liked the speed and skill on the big ice surface. Lots of top players missing...no Bloodoff, MacNeil, Carroll, D'orazio just to name 4, and they should all be on the team...likely be an impact rookie or two to come in as well.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
I can't see a rookie making the team unless he is so good that he should be playing AHL/NHL. In 2007 we took Ian Turner ( a rookie with minor pro experience ) who ended up being #6 or #7 on the D-man depth chart.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Here is the link to the game's site

http://www.universiadetrentino.org/

The Hockey Schedule is as follows:

Games start on the 10th. Actual teams have not been assigned to pools yet. There are three(3) Pools of four for 12 teams.

Dec. 10th to 16th - Pool games (4 teams means 3 games each)
Dec. 17th - #3 v #4 games (#1 & #2s plus next best 2 teams advance)
Dec. 18th Quarter Finals
Dec. 19th QF Losers
Dec. 20th Semi Finals
Dec. 21st Medal Games

There are two arenas; Alba di Canazei & Cavalese, both are close to the game's accommodations. The Semi's and Finals are in Alba
di Canazei

I'm sure this has been discussed at some point but what about exams?

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
I'm sure this has been discussed at some point but what about exams?

I talked to Gardiner - it's up to each player and school. The hope is selected athletes will be allowed to deafer to January - I can't see a school giving an athlete an issue.

In 2007, I believe Jesse Ferguson was selected, but didn't go for academic reasons (but that was in mid-January).

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I talked to Gardiner - it's up to each player and school. The hope is selected athletes will be allowed to deafer to January - I can't see a school giving an athlete an issue.

In 2007, I believe Jesse Ferguson was selected, but didn't go for academic reasons (but that was in mid-January).

I think one of McGill's top players (Verreault-Paul maybe?) declined for the same reason a couple years ago as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad