Team Canada - 2nd Pairing Right Defence

Who should play the right defence on the second pairing?

• Total voters

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I agree that Canada needs a shutdown-capable pairing. I think the Blues had a pairing for a while last year that was Pietrangelo-Parayko. If Piets can play okay on the left side like that then I'd just run that pairing as the shutdown option.

Pietrangelo-Parayko
Theodore-Hamilton
Morrissey-Makar
Weber
Letang

I'm really not taking the suggestion of Rielly, Doughty, or Burns seriously. I suppose Rielly might make it but I don't get where he helps here. They've got better puckmovers, better defenders, better point-men.

Makar will probably be, by a good margin, the best offensive option at 5v5, not just for team Canada, but for any D on any country's team. If Canada is down a goal I could see him getting more ice time than anyone else.

Reactions: CanadianSniper

Mighty Makar

I hate this fu*ken team
May 24, 2016
Weber would easily be in the top 4 for Canada.

Parayko, Makar, and Doughty fighting for the remaining spots.
I’m not sure he would easily be in the top 4. He will be 36 years old when the tourney starts and it will be on Olympic ice. I’m sure he will be on the team, though. I would rather have Doughty.

Mighty Makar

I hate this fu*ken team
May 24, 2016
I think a lot of people hate on Doughty ‘cause he is a whiner and the Kings aren’t that good. I’m fully confident in saying he will be on the team in 2022. We’re allowed 8 dmen? My 8 would be Pietrangelo, Weber, Doughty, Makar, Theodore, Chabot, Hamilton and one of Reilly, Parayko, Letang or Morrissey.

Reactions: HFpapi

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Something that I think is being forgotten is that Canada almost always has a dedicated shutdown pair and the way these comments and polls are going is gonna be an all offense Dore with a top 6 of:

Chabot - Petro
Theodore - Makar
Rielly - Hamilton

I don't think team canada would run this setup

Yeah. Feels like this is headed toward "biggest offensive upside" d-corps territory, which isn't surprising for voting 'round here. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me, and isn't particularly realistic though. And for good reason. You do still need players to play a defensive/shutdown role, and be your ace penalty killers when Canada comes out flying totally overzealously in a game trying to rock 'em sock 'em into the dirt and spends half the game shorthanded. These kind of things are important, because we're talking about assembling a "real world team" here, with roles that need doing, and less glamorous jobs that need done. Not a fantasy team for a videogame. Same goes for the Forwards...who aren't all going to be on the top line, playing offensive minutes and soaking up Powerplay time.

The kicker, is that Canada has a lot of really strong forwards and has shown that repeatedly in recent "best on best" type competitions. They don't need an absolutely most dynamic free-wheeling defence corps to push the play and generate offense. They need a defence group that is robust and steady defensively and good at taking pucks away from opponents, then turning them around and making a good first pass to get the puck in the hands of a stacked set of forwards in stride. Forwards who are more than capable of driving play themselves, with even just "good solid puck movement".

ie. You don't need a whole Defence comprised of Chabot/Theodore/Makar/Rielly types to skate the puck up ice all the time and control the puck constantly...when you've got Centers like McDavid/Crosby/etc/etc/etc who are plenty capable of dominating transition themselves, with less risk involved. The reality is...there's only one puck on the ice, and with that kind of talent available, there isn't much reason not to strive to just put it in their possession as much as possible. It's the formula they've employed to great success previously, and i don't see a real reason to depart radically from that now.

Mighty Makar

I hate this fu*ken team
May 24, 2016
Yeah. Feels like this is headed toward "biggest offensive upside" d-corps territory, which isn't surprising for voting 'round here. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me, and isn't particularly realistic though. And for good reason. You do still need players to play a defensive/shutdown role, and be your ace penalty killers when Canada comes out flying totally overzealously in a game trying to rock 'em sock 'em into the dirt and spends half the game shorthanded. These kind of things are important, because we're talking about assembling a "real world team" here, with roles that need doing, and less glamorous jobs that need done. Not a fantasy team for a videogame. Same goes for the Forwards...who aren't all going to be on the top line, playing offensive minutes and soaking up Powerplay time.

The kicker, is that Canada has a lot of really strong forwards and has shown that repeatedly in recent "best on best" type competitions. They don't need an absolutely most dynamic free-wheeling defence corps to push the play and generate offense. They need a defence group that is robust and steady defensively and good at taking pucks away from opponents, then turning them around and making a good first pass to get the puck in the hands of a stacked set of forwards in stride. Forwards who are more than capable of driving play themselves, with even just "good solid puck movement".

ie. You don't need a whole Defence comprised of Chabot/Theodore/Makar/Rielly types to skate the puck up ice all the time and control the puck constantly...when you've got Centers like McDavid/Crosby/etc/etc/etc who are plenty capable of dominating transition themselves, with less risk involved. The reality is...there's only one puck on the ice, and with that kind of talent available, there isn't much reason not to strive to just put it in their possession as much as possible. It's the formula they've employed to great success previously, and i don't see a real reason to depart radically from that now.
Who are your 8 dmen?

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
Experience is key at the Olympics.

Look at what they ran last time around. They favour NHL + international experience.

Hamhuis (32)
Bouwmeester (31)
Keith (31)
Weber (29)
Vlasic (27)
Doughty (25)
Pietrangelo (24)

Some of the lineups being listed here are unrealistic and Team Canada isn't going to go down that path for a tournament like this. No way do I see all four of Chabot, Makar, Morrissey, and Theodore making it.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Who are your 8 dmen?

For right now? Today? I'd probably keep a lot more of the "old guard" around than most people seem comfortable with. Right now, guys like Doughty and Keith can still play. They're still top defencemen, especially in the sort of role Canada needs their defence to fill. They don't need to be the superstars, they just need to be solid, and keep the ice tilted by moving the puck effectively.

So maybe something like:

Keith-Weber
Morrissey-Pietrangelo
Giordano-Doughty

*Rielly
*Letang

It's not "flashy", but i think it's the model that's worked. Three pairings that are just solid and dependable. Wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger on moving a guy like Rielly in with somebody who needs more youthful legs on their pairing if it shows up early. Wouldn't be totally opposed to someone like Theodore instead of Letang if you want more youthful legs and a bit more L-R versatility, but i like Letang's all-around game better and his mobility is still absolutely top notch.

Mighty Makar

I hate this fu*ken team
May 24, 2016
For right now? Today? I'd probably keep a lot more of the "old guard" around than most people seem comfortable with. Right now, guys like Doughty and Keith can still play. They're still top defencemen, especially in the sort of role Canada needs their defence to fill. They don't need to be the superstars, they just need to be solid, and keep the ice tilted by moving the puck effectively.

So maybe something like:

Keith-Weber
Morrissey-Pietrangelo
Giordano-Doughty

*Rielly
*Letang

It's not "flashy", but i think it's the model that's worked. Three pairings that are just solid and dependable. Wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger on moving a guy like Rielly in with somebody who needs more youthful legs on their pairing if it shows up early. Wouldn't be totally opposed to someone like Theodore instead of Letang if you want more youthful legs and a bit more L-R versatility, but i like Letang's all-around game better and his mobility is still absolutely top notch.
Keith isn’t on the team today or in ‘22! Call me a homer, but there’s not a chance Makar isn’t on the team. Who are your 8 dmen in ‘22?

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Makar. Hamilton is the only one on this list who challenges Makar for being better right now and he only has one season under his belt. I feel confident he’ll be better than Hamilton a year from now.

edit: my bad, just re-read OP. I initially thought this was for the Olympic team but it states right now so it’s probably Hamilton although Makar probably isn’t the wrong answer either.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Isn't he though?

He's fallen off without any support, but what suggests Keith can't still play?

Keith isn't a bad player, but he hasn't been great for 3 seasons and is 37 now. He likely isn't helped by the team around him, but his underlying numbers aren't that good and if he was still Team Canada level he should be able to still make his bad team better when he's on the ice which he hasn't really. I think Canada will play it more safe than people on here, but I think Gio would be more likely at this point on the left side as he's only a year removed from a Norris and was still better this past season, and if they want Olympic experience, they're probably more likely to take Weber, who is closer to his past form, and/or Doughty, who is still pretty young and there seems to be more of an idea that his decline is more mental rather than physical.

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC

So maybe something like:

Keith-Weber
Morrissey-Pietrangelo
Giordano-Doughty

*Rielly
*Letang

This is more in line with what Canada would do. However they will take a young stud like Makar just like when they took Doughty in 2010. Have an older reliable core but we still need some youth to bring in the next generation.
Theodore-Pietrangelo
Morrissey-Doughty
Keith-Weber
Reilly-Makar

Good mix of old and young, guys on their last olympic run and guys preparing to be the face of HC for olympics '26.

Reactions: joe dirte

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
This is more in line with what Canada would do. However they will take a young stud like Makar just like when they took Doughty in 2010. Have an older reliable core but we still need some youth to bring in the next generation.
Theodore-Pietrangelo
Morrissey-Doughty
Keith-Weber
Reilly-Makar

Good mix of old and young, guys on their last olympic run and guys preparing to be the face of HC for olympics '26.
Looks pretty good.

Sadly this is one of the weaker d lineups weve seen in years.

Reactions: sabresEH

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
Makar, but Ellis needs to be an option

49GP
8G
38P
23:30 TOI/G
96 BLK
48 hits
114 shots
+16

not many have those stats

Hamilton:
47 GP
14 G
40 P
23:17 TOI/G
63 BLK
52 hits
170 shots
+30

At the time he went down last season, a reasonable argument could be made that Hamilton was playing the best all around D in the NHL at that point. Not saying that guarantees future results, but still.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Doughty-Pietrangelo
Theodore-Makar
Chabot-Parayko
Rielly

I had a hard time leaving Letang off the team, but ultimately went with Parayko because they need more of a defensive presence for that 4th RHD. All the LHD are offensive minded, and they also have Makar on the right side thats offensively minded.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Give Drew Doughty something to play for and he'll remind you why he was Team Canada's top defenceman last time.

Reactions: HFpapi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad