WC: Team Canada 2024

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
Hey boys, I’ve had a couple of wobly pops, and I just wanted to say, somehow on this board we’ve managed to keep a pretty consistent and cool group of posters in the international forums, for quite a few years! The guys that post for Team USA, the Euro guys (still a little worried for Bear). I always enjoy the banter and different personalities.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Hey boys, I’ve had a couple of wobly pops, and I just wanted to say, somehow on this board we’ve managed to keep a pretty consistent and cool group of posters in the international forums, for quite a few years! The guys that post for Team USA, the Euro guys (still a little worried for Bear). I always enjoy the banter and different personalities.
Yes! The International Board is great - compared to other forums in HF. A good bunch of posters and mods.

Every so often, someone will wander in and try to stir up trouble but that's the exception.

Last edited:
Reactions: therealdeal

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I have no problem if they can add Celebrini. He'll just be in a depth role, and if he has an otherwise good team around him it could be a good experience for him. Fantilli and Toews did well before they ever played in the NHL, though they were each a year older at the time than Celebrini is. Celebrini is also friends with Bedard, so that wouldn't hurt.

Ideally you get a team of stars. If that isn't possible, as is the case most years, then the ideal to me is a few young stars insulated with good, experienced players who give them a chance to win.

The article about Celebrini on The Athletic earlier today also mentioned the possibility, from Celebrini's own mouth, that he stay in NCAA for another year depending on what team drafts him, what the situation is on that team etc. I really doubt it works out that way, but it would be great for the WJC team.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
I have no problem if they can add Celebrini. He'll just be in a depth role, and if he has an otherwise good team around him it could be a good experience for him. Fantilli and Toews did well before they ever played in the NHL, though they were each a year older at the time than Celebrini is. Celebrini is also friends with Bedard, so that wouldn't hurt.

Ideally you get a team of stars. If that isn't possible, as is the case most years, then the ideal to me is a few young stars insulated with good, experienced players who give them a chance to win.

The article about Celebrini on The Athletic earlier today also mentioned the possibility, from Celebrini's own mouth, that he stay in NCAA for another year depending on what team drafts him, what the situation is on that team etc. I really doubt it works out that way, but it would be great for the WJC team.

Yeah, Celebrini is NHL-ready. The reason a team would keep him out of the lineup for next year is if they expect to lose big (San Jose). Bedard had a tough challenge this year; they might want to spare Celebrini that. Also, Celebrini would significantly boost the success of a tanking team, and some of these will want to be in the Hagens/Misa lottery competition. I foresee a new kind of "egregious" tanking where teams draft franchise players but keep them out of the lineup for "development" while they make sure to finish last more times.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Celebrini staying college next year and playing in the wjc is fine by me, they rush so many kids these days anyway. We normally never get our premium talent to play two times in that thing like the other teams do so it would be a refreshing change.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Celebrini staying college next year and playing in the wjc is fine by me, they rush so many kids these days anyway. We normally never get our premium talent to play two times in that thing like the other teams do so it would be a refreshing change.
Amen, brother.

So many kids get rushed, they have a good rookie year and then fall off a cliff. Slow and steady is the best approach.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
For Canadian players, the World Championship is like when a friend gets engaged and you think, "Oh no, I'm gonna get invited to another wedding". Then you wait for the invitation. Sometimes the invite comes and sometimes it doesn't. If it doesn't come, you're relieved.

Nexon

Apr 18, 2019
For Canadian players, the World Championship is like when a friend gets engaged and you think, "Oh no, I'm gonna get invited to another wedding". Then you wait for the invitation. Sometimes the invite comes and sometimes it doesn't. If it doesn't come, you're relieved.
I do not think you can universally say it like that.

Playmaker82

May 2, 2023
Norway
With todays point over Rangers the Islanders is close to ready for playoffs.

Which kind of sucks for Canada in Worlds, as Barzal, Horvat, Pelech, Dobson (injured now), Pulock all could have been candidates.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
With todays point over Rangers the Islanders is close to ready for playoffs.

Which kind of sucks for Canada in Worlds, as Barzal, Horvat, Pelech, Dobson (injured now), Pulock all could have been candidates.
I'd rather see these Canadians have a chance at the Cup.

Playmaker82

May 2, 2023
Norway
So.. After Bedard saying yes and some chats about Binnington the rest is pretty much up in the air still. Some hints that youngsters Fantilli (injured now) and Celebrini could be there, and maybe Greig and Joseph from the Sens. Thats about it, + a maybe from Crosby (if Pens doesnt qualify) and Suzuki.

As the days go by, I might fear that a lot of players has given their "no". Especially players from the teams already eliminated. I mean, if we take a way the non-eligible and injured there is A LOT of players there. And if there was a lot of playing saying yes some reporter would have snuffed it up, right?

Buffalo (Cozens, Skinner, Power, Benson, Byram, Levi, Quinn)
Calgary (Weegar, Kadri, Mangiapane, Zary, Huberdeau)
Montreal (Newhook, Montembault, Anderson, Guhle, Matheson)
St. Louis (Parayko, Bolduc)
Anaheim (McTavish, Killorn, Strome)
Arizona (Ingram, Crouse, Guenther, Carcone)
Seattle (Eberle, McCann, Gourde)
Columbus (Sillinger)
Ottawa (Chabot, Chychrun)

Of course, we still have quite a few left in the playoffrace, but lets say that gives a max of 6-10 players.

DET: Walman, Fabbri, Rasmussen
WSH: Strome, McMichael
PIT: Crosby, Bunting, Jarry
PHI: Konecny, Tippett, Sanheim, Foerster, Frost, Drysdale
NYI: Barzal, Horvat, Pelech, Dobson, Pulock.

+ Celebrini, Fantilli.

6-12 (at best) + Bedard, Binnington, Greig and Joseph. Thats 10-16 players. Only half. Kind of strange, when we see the rate of "leaks" f.ex USA has already.

ameselare

Mar 30, 2024
So.. After Bedard saying yes and some chats about Binnington the rest is pretty much up in the air still. Some hints that youngsters Fantilli (injured now) and Celebrini could be there, and maybe Greig and Joseph from the Sens. Thats about it, + a maybe from Crosby (if Pens doesnt qualify) and Suzuki.

As the days go by, I might fear that a lot of players has given their "no". Especially players from the teams already eliminated. I mean, if we take a way the non-eligible and injured there is A LOT of players there. And if there was a lot of playing saying yes some reporter would have snuffed it up, right?

Columbus (Sillinger)

Of course, we still have quite a few left in the playoffrace, but lets say that gives a max of 6-10 players.

+ Celebrini, Fantilli.

6-12 (at best) + Bedard, Binnington, Greig and Joseph. Thats 10-16 players. Only half. Kind of strange, when we see the rate of "leaks" f.ex USA has already.
I'm assuming they're just keeping things quiet as they have so many eligible players who are currently in that Eastern Conference playoff race/on teams that might make it but will very likely lose in Round 1.

There's also the possibility that a portion of the eligible/potentially eligible players are healthy enough to play right now, but injured enough for their teams to not want them to play in an international tournament.

Drysdale for example (who is probably a long shot to be invited anyway, but just an example off the top of my head) - his shoulder might not be 100% healed from the injury he got in February, and with his injury history, the Flyers might not want him to go play in the World Championship.

It is the players' choice in the end but it's definitely a factor.

Reactions: Playmaker82

Great99

Apr 12, 2016

Columbus (Sillinger)

+ Celebrini, Fantilli.

Wait 3 weeks more, an you will see a beautiful team Canada

Reactions: Playmaker82

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018

Columbus (Sillinger)

+ Celebrini, Fantilli.

Terrific job / summary. Well done.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Have faith buddy we will get some names soon
Yep, I don't think the names are gonna blow us away though. Some of it is just the unfortunate circumstance that our better players are all in the playoffs and some of it will be due to apathy.

It will be a solid team probably, but the Prague powerhouse everyone was expecting is not going to happen.

Reactions: MatBarzal

MatBarzal

Apr 26, 2022
Yep, I don't think the names are gonna blow us away though. Some of it is just the unfortunate circumstance that our better players are all in the playoffs and some of it will be due to apathy.

It will be a solid team probably, but the Prague powerhouse everyone was expecting is not going to happen.
I talked about this earlier, they told me that I was spreading panic. This year, Canada does not have a choice of players to form a star team, but there are a number of talented and experienced hockey players with whom it is possible to win the World championship again.

Reactions: jj cale

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad