WC: Team Canada 2024

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
My knee jerk reaction is to be upset at Suzuki and say see you later, probably won’t ever be an A team player anyways.

But he’s just a person. He could be struggling in a relationship, or his brother might be sick, or he’s got a commitment that overlaps.

Let’s keep in mind that all these guys are real people, and we should give them grace.

Reactions: ameselare

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
My knee jerk reaction is to be upset at Suzuki and say see you later, probably won’t ever be an A team player anyways.

But he’s just a person. He could be struggling in a relationship, or his brother might be sick, or he’s got a commitment that overlaps.

Let’s keep in mind that all these guys are real people, and we should give them grace.
Eh no one is going to be calling for his death over this. If Suzuki has a legitimate issue going on in his life then by all means don't go, but if he doesn't go this year that's three consecutive years where he played basically the full season and missed the playoffs and could have been a huge piece of this team. He turns 25 this summer - if he says no again I cannot imagine three consecutive years of legitimate obstacles to him going.

If he ends up going then credit to him. If he doesn't then he deserves some scorn. No one will go crazy over the iihf world championship but it doesn't look good for him and should absolutely be held against him if they are looking for marginal pieces for a best on best team.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
To me if Suzuki doesn't go that is a real strike against his inclusion in the best on best tournaments. He is probably on the outside looking in of the bubble as it stands right now....on a team that isn't likely to be a playoff team in the next year or two. Do you want to play in the Olympics? Win a spot by performing here or enjoy the vacation in 2026 and don't wonder why.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
In all fairness, Suzuki is not getting a sniff of the best on best unless there are about 10 injuries at forward.

Reactions: Blueston

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
In all fairness, Suzuki is not getting a sniff of the best on best unless there are about 10 injuries at forward.
I'm not a fan, either.

To me if Suzuki doesn't go that is a real strike against his inclusion in the best on best tournaments. He is probably on the outside looking in of the bubble as it stands right now....on a team that isn't likely to be a playoff team in the next year or two. Do you want to play in the Olympics? Win a spot by performing here or enjoy the vacation in 2026 and don't wonder why.
My guess : He goes.

If he wasn't going to go, he would have said no initially. He'll like think on it and say, "What the heck, I'm in".

MatBarzal

Apr 26, 2022
There is a hockey player in any national team who always refuses to go to the World Championship. The Czech Republic has Pavel Zacha, Sweden has Erik Karlsson, Finland has Rasmus Ristolainen, and Canada has Nick Suzuki as such a player :)

Playmaker82

May 2, 2023
Norway
Ouch. I guess thats a no from Suzuki. But I can understand it. He has played nearly 82 games for FIVE straight seasons, and as a center it could be difficult to break the best on best anyhow.

But he was is probably the best bubble player out there, so a no from him is a downer. As Crosby seems to be heading for playoffs, who is next in line at C?

Cozens, Strome, Greig, Frost, McMichael, Newhook in my book.

The biggest issue for CAN this year is that not many of the bubble players are available.

Last edited:
Reactions: MatBarzal

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Ouch. I guess thats a no from Suzuki. But I can understand it. He has played nearly 82 games for FIVE straight seasons, and as a center it could be difficult to break the best on best anyhow.

But he was is probably the best bubble player out there, so a no from him is a downer. As Crosby seems to be heading for playoffs, who is next in line at C?

Cozens, Strome, Greig, Frost, McMichael, Newhook in my book.

The biggest issue for CAN this year is that not many of the bubble players are available.
Did he say no?

That's not a good sign if Celebrini is being asked to play, no offense to Celebrini.
Oh JJ...

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
No really. It would have been fine last year when the turnout from nhl'ers was so dismal across the board but not this year when the NHL turnout will be really strong among the teams.

I mean really, Canada having to take a 17 year old when the tournament is in Prague?

Canada? I mean cmon OF..............................that says one thing and one thing only, a ton of guys are saying no thanks.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
No really. It would have been fine last year when the turnout from nhl'ers was so dismal across the board but not this year when the NHL turnout will be really strong among the teams.

I mean really, Canada having to take a 17 year old when the tournament is in Prague?

Canada? I mean cmon OF..............................that says one thing and one thing only, a ton of guys are saying no thanks.
You make good / fair points but :

1) Bringing kids has been a tradition at the World Championships
2) The U.S. is looking at bringing a bunch of college kids and their fans are happy.

I like the idea of bringing Celebrini.

Last edited:

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
You make good / fair points but :

1) Bringing kids has been a tradition at the World Championships
2) The U.S. is looking at bringing a bunch of college kids and they're fans are happy.

I like the idea of bringing the kid.
I don't think the U.S is looking to bring a bunch of college kids this year, have you seen the guys already committed? They might bring 1 or possibly 2 this year, maybe none aside from a 3rd stringer for nets.

As I said last year like with fantilli that would have been fine but not this year, it reeks of clear desperation IMO.

We'll see I guess.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
No, not directly. But usually when its "not decided yet" it means "No", or that its some kind of obstacle in the way.
I see it the other way. He usually says NO. For him to say "maybe", well, as Homer and I always say...

I don't think the U.S is looking to bring a bunch of college kids this year, have you seen the guys already committed? They might bring 1 or possibly 2 this year, maybe none aside from a 3rd stringer for nets.

As I said last year like with fantilli that would have been fine but not this year, it reeks of clear desperation IMO.

We'll see I guess.
We'll see, my friend. I choose to see the team as "Half Full". ;)

Reactions: jj cale

Playmaker82

May 2, 2023
Norway
We''ll just have to wait and see. Its kind of obvious why Canada are waiting longer then USA, as there is lot of possible canadian players still in the playoffrace :) But Bedard is a very good start anyway.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Historically we don't bring draft eligibles to this tournament., we have never needed to.
I think we'll be fine and, if we're not, I truly don't care enough about this tournament to be worried.

Having said that, I've seen endless hand wringing over the last couple years, only to see Canada take Gold so...

Playmaker82

May 2, 2023
Norway
As for Celebrini. I think its kind of cool. He won the Hobey Baker award at 17 today. Is expected to go 1st in the draft this year. Why not let him get a few minutes here and there with the stars. As Fantilli, Hutson and Gauthier last year. Of course not in a leading role, but for the experience if he wants and has no injury etc.

Reactions: ORRFForever

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
As for Celebrini. I think its kind of cool. He won the Hobey Baker award at 17 today. Is expected to go 1st in the draft this year. Why not let him get a few minutes here and there with the stars. As Fantilli, Hutson and Gauthier last year. Of course not in a leading role, but for the experience if he wants and has no injury etc.
Me, too.

I am not a World Championship fan so, if I can watch the kids play, it makes it interesting - as opposed to a bunch of NHL'ers going thru the motions.

It would be nice to see Celebrini, Fantilli and Bedard play together.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Me, too.

I am not a World Championship fan so, if I can watch the kids play, it makes it interesting - as opposed to a bunch of NHL'ers going thru the motions.
The NHL'ers don't go through the motions for us, they win us titles, like last year for instance.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018

Zack Bolduc might be an interesting add. He's on a 3 game goal streak.​

Jack McBain is an interesting add - he's playing well (only 12 minutes a night) with Arizona.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad