WC: Team Canada 2024

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Agree.. real season in Prague is about to begin! Bring on the Skoda's!

Jokes aside

Skinner is a very good goalie.. not many Brodeurs or Haseks these days and the difference between him and most is not insane. Now the D in front of him, that shit is bad.lol
A lot of times it's the forwards who cause all the problems with the not looking where they are passing to and leading to it going the other way and shit like that, they really need to clean that stuff up.

Bouchard.................well I won't go into it, you watch them so you know. The guy doesn't have an aggressive bone in his body, he won't even tie up sticks for gods sake!!

Czechboy

Cole is the real MVP!
Apr 15, 2018
A lot of times it's the forwards who cause all the problems with the not looking where they are passing to and leading to it going the other way and shit like that, they really need to clean that stuff up.

Bouchard.................well I won't go into it, you watch them so you know. The guy doesn't have an aggressive bone in his body, he won't even tie up sticks for gods sake!!
Before I say this.. big fan of you and look forward to the World's and U18s!

ARE YOU f***EN NUTS???

Bouch is my Fav Oil and an absolute elite offensive Dman! He'd get 16 points in 8 games in Prague on the way to Gold. He's also my fav Canadian player in the league.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
You worry too much, my friend. We go thru this EVERY year and EVERY year we have the best team on paper.
Hmm, some truth to that though I wouldn't say every year.

And maybe not this year, It's becoming clear that Guerin is in their ears this year that if you want to make a statement to be on Team U.S.A for the big events coming up.......................you better think hard about coming to the skodas this year pal.

Before I say this.. big fan of you and look forward to the World's and U18s!

ARE YOU f***EN NUTS???

Bouch is my Fav Oil and an absolute elite offensive Dman! He'd get 16 points in 8 games in Prague on the way to Gold. He's also my fav Canadian player in the league.
Life wouldn't be the same for the internationals around here without you CB.

lol. I love Bouch offensively but man oh man defensively that guy drives me nuts, I dunno, maybe it's just me.

garbageteam

Jan 7, 2010
You worry too much, my friend. We go thru this EVERY year and EVERY year we have the best team on paper.

that's actually true, even when we bring a D or E team. Those years everyone is declining. On the years we bring powerhouses the others can't compete (on paper). Best part of the WHCs is that the game is played on ice and Canada never can run away with this tournament unlike the WJCs or even the Olympics and WC much of the time.

Reactions: ORRFForever

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland
Had a look on Canada 2010 Olympic team. There was just two players who had not played in the men's national team (earlier Olympics, World Cup or World Championships) before: third goalie Marc-Andre Fleury and Corey Perry. The latter had three out of previous four years where he had at least two playoff rounds so he didn't have too much chances to come to Worlds. He later came multiple times and became TGC member in 2016.

MatBarzal

Apr 26, 2022
Based on rumors, Bedard, McTavish, Binnington and Fantilli have received invitations at the moment. Likely to receive invitations: Ridly Greig and Matthew Joseph.

Playmaker82

May 2, 2023
Norway
McTavish injured now, so I dont think he will be there. But Bedard, Binnington, Greig and Joseph is cool enough (though nothing compared to US at this point). Still waiting for f.ex Suzuki, Konecny, Cozens, McCann, Dunn, Power etc. Typical bubble players.

MatBarzal

Apr 26, 2022
McTavish injured now, so I dont think he will be there. But Bedard, Binnington, Greig and Joseph is cool enough (though nothing compared to US at this point). Still waiting for f.ex Suzuki, Konecny, Cozens, McCann, Dunn, Power etc. Typical bubble players.
Even if Canada wanted to, it would not be able to assemble a team like the United States. The best Canadian players got into the playoffs, and those who come out can hardly be called stars, with the exception of a few surnames...

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Even if Canada wanted to, it would not be able to assemble a team like the United States. The best Canadian players got into the playoffs, and those who come out can hardly be called stars, with the exception of a few surnames...
^^ That's just silly. ^^

Last edited:

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Plus... (some may be on the 2019 No Go List)...

Jordan Kyrou
Robert Thomas
Brayden Schenn
Colton Parayko
Shane Wright
Cole Silinger
Dylan Guenther
Lawson Crouse
Zach Benson
Jack Quinn
Jeff Skinner
Nazem Kadri
MacKenzie Weeger
J Huberdeau
Andrew Mangiapane
Alex Kilhorn
Drake Batherson
Claude Giroux
Jakob Chychrun
Mike Matheson
Alex Newhook
Kaiden Guhle
Dawson Mercer
Jordan Eberle
Owen Tippett
Travis Sanheim
Michael Bunting
Kris Letang
Sidney Crosby
Dylan Strome
Thomas Chabot
Tyson Foerster

Last edited:
Reactions: HockeyWooot

MatBarzal

Apr 26, 2022
Plus... (some may be on the 2019 No Go List)...

Jordan Kyrou
Robert Thomas
Brayden Schenn
Colton Parayko
Shane Wright
Cole Silinger
Dylan Guenther
Lawson Crouse
Zach Benson
Jack Quinn
Jeff Skinner
Nazem Kadri
MacKenzie Weeger
J Huberdeau
Andrew Mangiapane
Alex Kilhorn
Drake Batherson
Claude Giroux
Jakob Chychrun
Mike Matheson
Alex Newhook
Kaiden Guhle
Dawson Mercer
Jordan Eberle
Owen Tippett
Travis Sanheim
Michael Bunting
Kris Letang
Sidney Crosby
Dylan Strome
Thomas Chabot
Tyson Foerster
Which of the listed players can get into the Olympic team? Pittsburgh will get into the playoff, so Crosby will not be at the World Cup. I want to say that Canada doesn't have much choice this year. We will not see the same stellar team as in 2015.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Which of the listed players can get into the Olympic team? Pittsburgh will get into the playoff, so Crosby will not be at the World Cup. I want to say that Canada doesn't have much choice this year. We will not see the same stellar team as in 2015.
What's wrong is your comment, "Even if Canada wanted to, it would not be able to assemble a team like the United States". Our depth would allow us to match anything the U.S. could produce at the WC in 2024.

Last edited:

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Here are the statistical Canadian equivalent of the U.S. players going to the World Championships...

Johnny Gaudreau / Jonathan Huberdeau
Cole Caufield / Claude Giroux
Tage Thompson / Nazem Kadri
Luke Hughes / MacKenzie Weegar
Shane Pinto / Alex Newhouse
Brady Tkachuk / Nick Suzuki
Seth Jones / Owen Power
Trevor Zegras / Cole Sillinger

After matching up, Canada still has...

Connor Bedard
Adam Fantilli
Ridly Greig
M. Joseph
T. Konecny
D. Cozens
J McCann
Vince Dunn
Robert Thomas
Brayden Schenn
Colton Parayko
Shane Wright
Dylan Guenther
Lawson Crouse
Zach Benson
Jack Quinn
Jeff Skinner
Andrew Mangiapane
Alex Kilhorn
Drake Batherson
Jakob Chychrun
Mike Matheson
Kaiden Guhle
Dawson Mercer
Jordan Eberle
Owen Tippett
Travis Sanheim
Michael Bunting
Dylan Strome
Thomas Chabot
Tyson Foerster
J Binnington

in the wings in case those players don't go - and that does not include what might become available after the 1st round of the NHL playoffs.

We go thru this navel gazing "we suck" handwringing before EVERY tournament. EVERY single tournament! You can set your watch by it !

As always (and this is NOT directed at any ONE poster), can we PLEASE stop being so insecure? Pretty please.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: HockeyWooot

ameselare

Mar 30, 2024
Here are the statistical Canadian equivalent of the U.S. players going to the World Championships...

Johnny Gaudreau / Jonathan Huberdeau
Cole Caufield / Claude Giroux
Tage Thompson / Jordan Kyrou
Luke Hughes / MacKenzie Weegar
Shane Pinto / Alex Newhouse
Brady Tkachuk / Nick Suzuki
Seth Jones / Owen Power
Trevor Zegras / Cole Sillinger

After matching up, Canada still has...

Connor Bedard
Adam Fantilli
Ridly Greig
M. Joseph
T. Konecny
D. Cozens
J McCann
Vince Dunn
Robert Thomas
Brayden Schenn
Colton Parayko
Shane Wright
Dylan Guenther
Lawson Crouse
Zach Benson
Jack Quinn
Jeff Skinner
Nazem Kadri
Andrew Mangiapane
Alex Kilhorn
Drake Batherson
Jakob Chychrun
Mike Matheson
Kaiden Guhle
Dawson Mercer
Jordan Eberle
Owen Tippett
Travis Sanheim
Michael Bunting
Dylan Strome
Thomas Chabot
Tyson Foerster
J Binnington

in the wings in case those players don't go - and that does not include what might become available after the 1st round of the NHL playoffs.

We go thru this navel gazing "we suck" handwringing before EVERY tournament. EVERY single tournament! You can set your watch by it !

As always (and this is NOT directed at any ONE poster), can we PLEASE stop being so insecure? Pretty please.
As you mentioned in a previous comment - Thomas and Batherson are not eligible for this tournament as they were on the 2018 WJC team. Same with Kyrou although I know you didn't name him.

Isles & Pens making the playoffs leaves some great players off the table. I do agree with you that we have more than enough depth to win this tournament either way. As Fantilli and McTavish are both injured, I really do wonder if they'll invite Celebrini. Probably a super long shot but we'll see.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Had a look on Canada 2010 Olympic team. There was just two players who had not played in the men's national team (earlier Olympics, World Cup or World Championships) before: third goalie Marc-Andre Fleury and Corey Perry. The latter had three out of previous four years where he had at least two playoff rounds so he didn't have too much chances to come to Worlds. He later came multiple times and became TGC member in 2016.
Very true, this was a strength for Canada during that era. An experienced and reasonably battle tested group of players, either in the playoffs, the iihf wc, or both. I hope to see something similar get built going forward. It's nice for the guys who have won this tournament in recent years but I'd much rather get quality reps for the players who will help win big tournaments in the coming years. Ideally with a win of course.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
As you mentioned in a previous comment - Thomas and Batherson are not eligible for this tournament as they were on the 2018 WJC team. Same with Kyrou although I know you didn't name him.

Isles & Pens making the playoffs leaves some great players off the table. I do agree with you that we have more than enough depth to win this tournament either way. As Fantilli and McTavish are both injured, I really do wonder if they'll invite Celebrini. Probably a super long shot but we'll see.
^^ Good post. ^^

I just get frustrated with the "OMG, have you seen who the U.S. is sending? We're doomed!", posts EVERY tournament. Like I said, you can set your watch by it.

P.S. I read Fantilli might play.

Re : "I really do wonder if they'll invite Celebrini."

Why not? The more the merrier.

Last edited:

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I matched up all of the American players that have Canadian posters worried with their Canadian equivalent. And, even after all that, we still have Bedard, possibly (likely?) the best player in the tournament, waiting in the wings. And yet, somehow, the Americans are NOT worried. Why can't we be like that?

Imagine if the roles were reversed and the U.S. had Bedard. Canadians posters would be saying, "There's NO point even going. They've matched our best players and they also have Bedard, they're gonna crush us!!!".

Canadians (myself included) are INSANE!!!

Last edited:

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I matched up all of the American players that have Canadian posters worried with their Canadian equivalent. And, even after all that, we still have Bedard, possibly (likely?) the best player in the tournament, waiting in the wings. And yet, somehow, the Americans are NOT worried. Why can't we be like that?

Imagine if the roles were reversed and the U.S. had Bedard. Canadians posters would be saying, "There's NO point even going. They've matched our best players and they also have Bedard, they're gonna crush us!!!".

Canadians (myself included) are INSANE!!!
I can't be worried about a team we don't even have yet versus what the U.S is bringing. Where do we currently stand right now................like 2 guys committed?

We have hardly a clue yet on who will be coming.

ameselare

Mar 30, 2024
^^ Good post. ^^

I just get frustrated with the "OMG, have you seen who the U.S. is sending? We're doomed!", posts EVERY tournament. Like I said, you can set your watch by it.

P.S. I read Fantilli might play.

Re : "I really do wonder if they'll invite Celebrini."

Why not? The more the merrier.
Fantilli might play?? That's fantastic - I know he's been injured since January but I didn't know much re: the status of his injury. Hopefully he can play!

I absolutely agree with the "the more the merrier" philosophy - I kinda wondered if most of the other super young guys being injured would make it more likely that he's invited, but I honestly can see no downside to him making the team. He has a hell of a lot more upside than some of the players who could potentially be invited instead of him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad