WC: Team Canada 2024

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
So what LeBrun said is: "But those calls are coming around the league soon and, obviously, no official word from Bedard just yet. Been a pretty busy last couple of years for him with the draft and you mentioned he actually played in a couple of World Juniors. But it's expected that the answer will be a yes and all probabilities are Bedard will go play for Canada at the men's worlds."

That's a good sign while not outright confirmation - Bedard on the team makes Canada's games pretty much must see.

He also says that: "And finally, of note, Team Canada will keep one or two roster spots open even after they have named their roster for the end of the first round of the Stanley Cup Playoffs just in case there's a couple of high-profile players that want to go join Team Canada."

Also potentially a good thing.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
So what LeBrun said is: "But those calls are coming around the league soon and, obviously, no official word from Bedard just yet. Been a pretty busy last couple of years for him with the draft and you mentioned he actually played in a couple of World Juniors. But it's expected that the answer will be a yes and all probabilities are Bedard will go play for Canada at the men's worlds."

That's a good sign while not outright confirmation - Bedard on the team makes Canada's games pretty much must see.

He also says that: "And finally, of note, Team Canada will keep one or two roster spots open even after they have named their roster for the end of the first round of the Stanley Cup Playoffs just in case there's a couple of high-profile players that want to go join Team Canada."

Also potentially a good thing.

I don't want the team to skew too too young, but Zellweger might be an option on D. with no AHL PO games for the Gulls, I'd like to see him get some development time w/Team Canada.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
It would be fun to see Bedard on the big ice with quality players around him. He's almost PPG in the NHL with players named "who" on his wing. Imagine the possibility.

garbageteam

Jan 7, 2010
After years of very lackluster rosters we might finally get something pretty strong this time around especially with a recommitment from the NHL to international hockey. Exciting times.

shakes the clown

Jan 11, 2010
Chicago
It would be fun to see Bedard on the big ice with quality players around him. He's almost PPG in the NHL with players named "who" on his wing. Imagine the possibility.
As a Hawks fan I'm very much looking forward to this aspect of it. will be fun to see how Bedard looks with actual high level teammates as opposed to having to carry an entire offense by himself with the other team keying on him and only him. I bet he lights the tourney up.

Great99

Apr 12, 2016
What big ice ? that old time Olympic ice is not used anymore at the Worlds , its same length , only the wide is a little bigger than in the old times

Reactions: ORRFForever

Hamilton Bulldogs

Jan 11, 2022
After years of very lackluster rosters we might finally get something pretty strong this time around especially with a recommitment from the NHL to international hockey. Exciting times.
Last years lackluster roster ended up winning the gold so you never know.

As long as they get the gold, i'll be happy.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Kind of down about this years WHC, it usually doesn't work this way but my job is going to make me miss most if not all the games probably.

Bummed out.

sawchuk1971

Jun 16, 2011
i was about to post about bedard joining ice hockey world championships...

it looks like he might be available.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
Does anyone recall the general timeline of naming players from previous years? How much will we know by the end of April? When does the full roster get announced? Doesn’t sound like they’ve called many guys yet.

Playmaker82

May 2, 2023
Norway
Usually the first ones come in with a month to go. Which is right about now. So, the rumours of Bedard, McTavish etc this year is typical for this time. But in 10 days time we will probably have about 6-7 names. I guess the roster will be ready around May 1.

But the playoffrace is kind of tight this year, so I guess we have to wait until maybe april 15 before we have a handful names

MatBarzal

Apr 26, 2022
Does anyone recall the general timeline of naming players from previous years? How much will we know by the end of April? When does the full roster get announced? Doesn’t sound like they’ve called many guys yet.
LeBrun recently said that Rick Nash sent the first invitations to the national team to McTavish and Bedard. He is waiting for the end of the regular season. In previous years, by this time we already knew the names of 3-4 players. This year is very unusual...

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Bedard
McTavish

St Louis fills a few spots nicely - looking at their roster, I am kinda shocked they did not make the playoffs....

Thomas, Kyrou, Parayko, Binnington, Schenn

Montreal, too...

Suzuki, Matheson, (I would love to see) Newhook - looking at their roster, I KNOW why they did not make the playoffs. :)

Buffalo...

Benson, Power, Quinn, Skinner, Krebs, Byram, Cousins

St Louis provides veterans and experience. Buffalo provides the youth.

In previous years, by this time we already knew the names of 3-4 players. This year is very unusual...
Meh. Everything will fall into place - it always does.

Last edited:

Playmaker82

May 2, 2023
Norway
McTavish kneeinjured now, so I doubt his participation. Unfortunately.

But Bedard, Suzuki, Greig, Ingram, Guenther, McCann would be a lock from the teams already eliminated. Sillinger, Dickinson, Durzi, Huberdeau, Mangiapane, Zary maybe. (Carcone/Crouse/Weegar did good last year)

Cozens, Power, Byram (Skinner) next in line when Buffalo is out.

Last edited:

MatBarzal

Apr 26, 2022
McTavish kneeinjured now, so I doubt his participation. Unfortunately.

But Bedard, Suzuki, Greig, Ingram, Guenther, McCann would be a lock from the teams already eliminated. Sillinger, Dickinson, Durzi, Huberdeau, Mangiapane, Zary maybe. (Carcone/Crouse/Weegar did good last year)

Cozens, Power, Byram (Skinner) next in line when Buffalo is out.
Huberdeau in his current form is unlikely to be able to help the national team.

EddieTheEagle

Sep 17, 2006
Huberdeau in his current form is unlikely to be able to help the national team.
Huby wouldn't be caught dead at the WCs. Guy just doesn't seem to be that kind of player. He will golf early, spend time with his fam (not a bad thing) and enjoy his money.

• Haha
Reactions: MatBarzal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad