• Alex Vlasic, D, USNTP (BU Commit)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Lots of good options, but I went with the best LHD available in Broberg. We need to shore up that position with this draft, and we can afford to slow-walk his development now too. I get that Knight is probably winning this one, and I understand the appeal, but with Grubi solidifying himself as a legit starter in the league I think the urgency has gone down since January.
Knight is likely 4+ years away from being a starter.

Avsavsavsavsavs

Nov 30, 2017
Still not a fan of how almost one dimensional this team is, watching San Jose hammer us into our own zone on the cycle and create chances from the point (which our D can easily do) was both a treat and frustrating to watch. Really hope we can start getting some size AND skill in this lineup, I think someone like Lavoie could come in and replace a Wilson or a Soda with the right development in a few years and take over games in the playoffs.

Reactions: timothy jimothy

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
Turcotte or Byram first, trade down the 16th so we can draft Knight in the 20’s or trade the pick for a proven forward.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Turcotte or Byram first, trade down the 16th so we can draft Knight in the 20’s or trade the pick for a proven forward.
No point in trading down in the 20's if we want Knight. Why risk that someone else takes him? So we can have an extra 4th rounder?

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I think generally teams get a second to move up 10 or so spots, but I could be remembering incorrectly.
Even if it did return a late 2nd, why take the risk of losing the guy you want? Pick Knight at 16, it's not like it's a huge reach.

We don't need extra picks that likely won't make it to the NHL, we need quality players.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
With two first rounders you have to swing for the fences with one of them and grabbing Knight is pretty swingy.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
You draft Spencer Knight, you have the best goaltending prospect in hockey. Sure, it might take a few years for him to be ready as a starter, but we've got Grubauer manning the net until 2021.

Once a team runs into cap issues and has to plug-and-play lesser players to compensate for paying core players higher dollar amounts, a star goaltender can mask problems. Spencer Knight has that potential. Swing for the fences, draft that kid. I'd love a Vasilevskiy/Gibson/Price/etc on this team for the future.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
You draft Spencer Knight, you have the best goaltending prospect in hockey. Sure, it might take a few years for him to be ready as a starter, but we've got Grubauer manning the net until 2021.

Once a team runs into cap issues and has to plug-and-play lesser players to compensate for paying core players higher dollar amounts, a star goaltender can mask problems. Spencer Knight has that potential. Swing for the fences, draft that kid. I'd love a Vasilevskiy/Gibson/Price/etc on this team for the future.

Also if everything goes normally, Knight would still be on ELC at the time that Mack needs an extension. Would be real nice to have a couple of years of cheap starting goaltender at that time. Especially if he lives up to the expectations.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Knight is likely 4+ years away from being a starter.
And Grubi could easily have 8+ years left as a starter. Goalies don't age the same way skaters do, there isn't much reason to replace them at 30 like everybody wants to do around here. Unless there are injury concerns like with Varly (even if I think those are overblown).

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
And Grubi could easily have 8+ years left as a starter. Goalies don't age the same way skaters do, there isn't much reason to replace them at 30 like everybody wants to do around here. Unless there are injury concerns like with Varly (even if I think those are overblown).
Washington had Holtby and Grubauer and they drafted Samsonov.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
I went with Broberg because the 6’3”, minute munching dude who’s almost guaranteed top 4 D floor potential is the most valuable player there.

I also really like Lavoie and York. If Byram is our pick at 4, I would support Lavoie here. If we go C at 4, then Broberg or York would be my pick here.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
It does seem like a situation where the Avs certainly wouldn't be drafting a goaltender unless Joe finds a trade down that he likes, and I'm okay with that.

With that in mind, if Broberg is there I'd be very happy to get him.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
Not true, I'd still be excited to get him.

Same, while at this point I have other preferences, we have no choice really but to put our faith in our scouts. They’ve certainly evaluated these top players much more than most of us. Hopefully they make the right pick.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
First time I have not plugged for Knight at this pick. And I have a feeling I will regret it. But Lavoie is hard to say no to given our middle 6 up front.
He's my 2nd choice. Big guy with a sick release and a mean streak. We kind of need that...but I still don't think he gets past Montreal at 15 (if he makes it that far).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad