Speculation: TDL - Is it time for Dubas to mortgage the future to bolster The Leafs?

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Sandin and Liljegren will both be exempt from thr draft.

I think you're right about thr Leafs going 4-4 but will be between Dermott vs Holl (assuming no more trades happen) on who they protect
Nope they have completed 3 and 4 years of Pro hockey they have to be protected

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Nope they have completed 3 and 4 years of Pro hockey they have to be protected

Wrong. Sandin and Liljegren contracts were slide while they were 18 and 19 years old.

Who will Maple Leafs lose in Seattle Kraken expansion draft?

All first- and second-year NHLers and all unsigned draft choices, will be exempt from selection and will not be counted toward protection limits.

Therefore, Toronto needn’t worry about protecting prized prospects like Nicholas Robertson, Rasmus Sandin, Timothy Liljegren, Mac Hollowell and Joseph Woll. Sophomore Ilya Mikheyev is also exempt.

Last edited:

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
Tampa had enough space available to make good additions, we will not.

Not really. They traded for Goodrow/Coleman in large part due to how low their pay was. Plus cap space will be higher near the deadline.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
I am usually against trading the future, but in this division, if we’re a top 2 team, I say go for. Won’t have an easier PO path for a long time.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
It's early but it looks like it, I don't know how they do it because they are tight to the cap but they need find a way to create cap space because they look like they will be in position to add a piece or 2 at the deadline and I don't think you will need to trade high end prospects to do it unless Hall or Hamilton are available or you are going for somebody with term.

But Adam, Larsson, David Savard, Erik Staal, Brandon Sutter these guys probably aren't getting 1st round picks or top prospects you don't need to gut the farm system to get the piece they need

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
I am completely against mortgaging anything. If Dubas can continue to make deals that don't touch our core future but strengthen us, by all means.

Going all in virtually never works. Hockey is too much of a game of luck, bounces, injuries etc. We need to keep our window open as long as possible and you do that by planning long term.

BrainyBomber

Apr 1, 2018
We should always be looking to add at the deadline with this core but as already mentioned it is a fine balance. Dubas has atleast restocked nicely with good drafting and this season presents a golden opportunity so we really should go for a Coleman type. Would be great to have a strong checking line.

Derm can be sacrificed since we have Lehtonen and Sandin and a 1st since could very well be in the 29-32 range anyways.

Term would be great but not essential for me given our chances this year if we can score an even better forward.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I am completely against mortgaging anything. If Dubas can continue to make deals that don't touch our core future but strengthen us, by all means.

Going all in virtually never works. Hockey is too much of a game of luck, bounces, injuries etc. We need to keep our window open as long as possible and you do that by planning long term.

You can't keep every 1st round pick eventually yoy are going to have to move one for a piece

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Kinda useless asking here. This is the place that wanted to sell JVR & Bozak when we were a 105 point team.
I advocated for moving them for futures the off-season before they left, and augmenting with short-term free agents, yes.
And those futures would now be part of *this* 105pt team.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
You can't keep every 1st round pick eventually yoy are going to have to move one for a piece

1st round picks don't concern me as we draft well (plus we haven't been shy about putting those in play anyways). Moving pieces like Sandin, Liljegren, Robertson etc. very much does.

It's a minor miracle Dubas has manouevered some of what he has without ever touching any of said pieces. Keep going in that direction and I am happy.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
I advocated for moving them for futures the off-season before they left, and augmenting with short-term free agents, yes.

Agreed. While occasionally losing pieces for nothing is OK, we have done it too often. Clinging to your JVR and Bozak types is very short term thinking. Do people forget that of our regular forwards, only Martin received less ES TOI? They weren't the engines, except PP usage.

Reactions: aingefan

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
I don't get the point of this thread.

We have a great top 6 and a good top 4 and a good goalie tandem.

What are we mortgaging for?

Last edited:
Reactions: Punch Drunk Loov

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

You don't know that, it is totally possible that those futures turn out great, it is equally, if not more likely given where those futures would have bee that those future turn into nothing, because unless you are drafting top 5, MAYBE top 10, you don't know what You're getting, and even then you really don't know, look at the Buffalo Sabres, they have drafted in the top 8 for nearly a decade and yet they are still the Buffalo Sabres.

You don't take players off a 105 point team for essentially magic beans, they didn't do it then, they shouldn't do it now.

Reactions: Auston 316

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
You don't know that, it is totally possible that those futures turn out great, it is equally, if not more likely given where those futures would have bee that those future turn into nothing, because unless you are drafting top 5, MAYBE top 10, you don't know what You're getting, and even then you really don't know, look at the Buffalo Sabres, they have drafted in the top 8 for nearly a decade and yet they are still the Buffalo Sabres.

You don't take players off a 105 point team for essentially magic beans, they didn't do it then, they shouldn't do it now.

You do know our drafting has been solid and you do know how big of a role those two guys played (again at the bottom of the team ES). It's part of the game of maximizing things. Won't always work out but evidence seems to indicate we'd do alright.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
You do know our drafting has been solid and you do know how big of a role those two guys played (again at the bottom of the team ES). It's part of the game of maximizing things. Won't always work out but evidence seems to indicate we'd do alright.

Do you think they should move Freddy and go with Campbell and Hutchinson? What about Hyman?, Thornton? Spezza? Simmonds?

This team is in 1st overall as of this post do you think they should move those players?

A1LeafNation

Oct 17, 2010
Tampa had all of those things too, then they got Coleman and Goodrow.

So you are saying we should be looking at TBL as a comparison? Cool.

Palat Point Kucherov
Killorn Cirelli Johnson
Coleman Gourde Goodrow
Maroon Paquette Verhaeghe

Is this correct?

Mikheyev Matthews Marner (1st line comp)
Hyman Tavares Nylander (2nd line comp)
Vesey Kerfoot _________ (3rd line comp?)
Engvall Boyd Simmonds (4th line comp)

Out of the guys we have, do we have comparables? I think so. If not, what do we need exactly to be a comparable? Do we have this player in our system currently?

Remaining:
Robertson Thornton Spezza Anderson Barabanov Brooks

Last edited:

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
You don't know that, it is totally possible that those futures turn out great, it is equally, if no
t more likely given where those futures would have bee that those future turn into nothing, because unless you are drafting top 5, MAYBE top 10, you don't know what You're getting, and even then you really don't know, look at the Buffalo Sabres, they have drafted in the top 8 for nearly a decade and yet they are still the Buffalo Sabres.

What I do know is that JVR and Bozak aren’t here either.
With no return.
And that they weren’t the driving force then, either.
And that it was very easy to project that their salaries weren’t going to fit long term.
And that you need a steady flow of assets both for your team, and for bartering.

But, if you’re convinced that every future is a ‘magic bean’.....I don’t really know what to say. Every player in the league started off as one.

Plus, you’ll note I suggested moving them in the off-season, getting ‘magic beans’, AND signing short-term fits to keep the pipeline flowing.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
I don't get the point of this thread.

We have a great top 6 and a good top 4 and a good goalie tandem.

What are we mortgaging for?

The point is that teams often trade to strengthen their team. They use draft picks/prospects for more refined players (often on expiring contracts) to give them the depth needed to go all the way.

You might think we have a great team, but please reflect on the fact that TOR hasn't won a playoff series in a long time.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Tampa had all of those things too, then they got Coleman and Goodrow.
And what did Tampa trade to get those players?
In one reply, you say magic beans are bad, in your next you say Tampa was able to load up because they had some extra ones?
Am I missing something?

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
This is Toronto’s easiest year to make it into the final 4. Assuming we’re leading the division at the deadline, I would make some adds. Not sacrificing huge pieces, but some mid level stuff for sure.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
You mortgage the future when you're ready to win.

This team has no playoff pedigree, and a reputation of failing when it matters most.

They arent a winner. They arent ready to win. Not yet.

Once they show that they are, then you start thinking about that.

But not yet.

Let's stop getting carried away with a 6-2 start where they haven't played particularly well

A1LeafNation

Oct 17, 2010
The point is that teams often trade to strengthen their team. They use draft picks/prospects for more refined players (often on expiring contracts) to give them the depth needed to go all the way.

You might think we have a great team, but please reflect on the fact that TOR hasn't won a playoff series in a long time.

Yeah ok, so this isn't a blanket thing you do.

Why haven't we won a round? Because the defence and goaltending couldn't match up to their opponents.

Do we have that now? Yes on defence, no on goaltending. So unless we are upgrading Andersen, whats the plan?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad