Speculation: TDL - Is it time for Dubas to mortgage the future to bolster The Leafs?

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Look no further than Tampa and STL who made bold trades to make their teams world beaters. Tampa gave an arm and a leg for McDonough, and good young assets for Goodrow/Coleman.

I know Dubas doesn't have a lot of cap space to improve the team, but average to mediocre players like Kerfoot/Engvall/Dermott can all be moved for better fitting players. More futures and draft picks can be offered for retention of salary too.

Does Dubas try it this TDL? Can we improve the defense even more? Do you want more forwards?

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
I would say we are losing Freddy after this year. Rielly and Hyman need new deals within the next 2 seasons respectively and are both massive pieces to the team. After this season we have 3 more seasons of Matthews and Nylander before they need new deals meaning a retool taking up a season or two assuming we fail this year wastes their prime years.

Muzzin and JT are not getting any younger either. All of these factors indicate NOW is our time to win. Whether we can do it is another story, but this division is ripe for us to have home ice and a real shot at making the ECF. If it were to ever happen, this year makes sense.

If we fail to make any damage this year, FO likely gets canned or very least hot seat resulting in a retool anyways.

On the other side, we must consider that anyone coming from the states is out for 2 weeks, and the TDL already limits how quickly a rental can get used to the team before playoffs. And we likely can only afford rentals unless we make a blockbuster deal.

So I say.. Yes go for it. Trade 1st rounders, trade guys like Amirov if the RIGHT pieces are presented. If you get offered a top 6 forward or a top 4 D that fits with what we want and is in their prime? Absolutely bolster the roster. I'd say it's more likely we want a top 6 F than top 4 D given our depth on D and lack of depth after our top 6.

Ashdown2

Aug 19, 2006
frankly this draft is a completly shitshow. This would be the year to gamble your draft picks

Reactions: Jmo89

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Due to the pandemic and this new shortened season and an all CDN Div, with needing to beat only 8 NHL teams to hoist the Cup is the best opportunity the Leafs are going to get to win it all.

That said I wouldn't suggest going all in this year at the expense of the future all things considered.

Many will never see the 2021 season Cup winner as legitimate compared to all the others in the past, so I would like the see the Leafs post pandemic setting themselves up for long-term success and not go all-in mortgaging the future during an anomaly and then paying the piper down the road. IMO

Reactions: Beleafer34

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
I'd be fine getting a couple guys like Goodrow and Coleman if they are signed past this year. However, I doubt they will with the expansion draft coming.

With how weird this season is going to be its probably best to load up next year. Maybe get a stud goalie on a cheap contract if that exists.

Reactions: Auston Escobar

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
frankly this draft is a completly shitshow. This would be the year to gamble your draft picks

With uncertainty of the format it could make more sense to control your own first round pick. Plus an organization with more scouting resources like Toronto could walk away with something truly special, so why package it off with Dermott for a marginal upgrade? (I say marginal because the cap does not look like we could add a big fish).

Reactions: Ciao

Ryan52

Jun 20, 2009
Brampton, Ontario
Trading a late 1st round pick isn't mortgaging any future.

We have a very nice pipeline of youth coming up. Lots of ways to use that.

Might be smart to do something like a 1st + Dermott for a good winger on an affordable contract.
while i agree, there is no guarantee it becomes a late first

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
I'm good with trading this year's 1st+a bit, probably for a depth forward on a good deal.

There's a fine line here.

Not good with moving Amirov, Robertson, Sandin and Lilgeren

Reactions: Beleafer34

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I'm good with trading this year's 1st+a bit, probably for a depth forward on a good deal.

There's a fine line here.

Not good with moving Amirov, Robertson, Sandin and Lilgeren

Considering the average draft position of those 4x prospects is 28.5, there's a good chance that our first round pick will be equal in quality to any of those four players. Add to the confusion of the 2021 season and some real gems could be had.

Reactions: Auston Escobar

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Considering the average draft position of those 4x prospects is 28.5, there's a good chance that our first round pick will be equal in quality to any of those four players. Add to the confusion of the 2021 season and some real gems could be had.
I trust Dubas' drafting immensely, so don't want to trade anyone he drafted.

With that said, this is an awful draft year for many reasons. I trust he can find gems in the 2nd round like Robertson.
Trading a 1st has less risk due to the world of prospect uncertainty this season.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I trust Dubas' drafting immensely, so don't want to trade anyone he drafted.

With that said, this is an awful draft year for many reasons. I trust he can find gems in the 2nd round like Robertson.
Trading a 1st has less risk due to the world of prospect uncertainty this season.

My rule of thumb is consider your upcoming 1st round pick to be the second best prospect in the organization and the 2nd rounder the fifth best prospect in the system and you'd probably do well to keep both.

There's a heavy fog of war and a big part of the draft class can't be scouted. There's a lot of uncertainty but that doesn't mean it's going to be a horrible draft.

The final part of the problem here is unless we're getting back a stud on ELC, it's not like Toronto has any cap flexibility to even acquire a big contract that would be comparable to a 1st+Prospect. Last time we did that it was a Jake Muzzin level player making $5 million.

Reactions: Ricky Bobby

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
The Trade Deadline comes every year. I am asking for fans to extend beyond the start of the season (where we currently are).
Are they a playoff team at the deadline or will they miss them for the second straight year? Hoping they are buyers but if they are to miss again they should sell off a few pieces.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
U25 Leafs

Robertson 19 ---- Matthews 23 ------ Marner 23
Amirov 19 ----- Nylander 24 --- Anderson 22
Miettinen 19 ---- Abramov 19 ----- Hirvonen 18
Hallander 20 ----- Abbruzzese 21 ----- Ovchinnikov 18

Sandin 20 ----- Niemela 18
Dermott 24 ----- Liljegren 21
Kokkonen 19 ----- Rindell 20

Akhtyamov 19