Speculation: TDL - Is it time for Dubas to mortgage the future to bolster The Leafs?

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Tampa had enough space available to make good additions, we will not.

We will have more space than Tampa did. Coleman and Goodrow made not much more than league minimum anyways.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
Trading a late 1st round pick isn't mortgaging any future.

We have a very nice pipeline of youth coming up. Lots of ways to use that.

Might be smart to do something like a 1st + Dermott for a good winger on an affordable contract.
Wonder if a 1st + Dermott would entice the Ducks for Rakell.

Reactions: zeke

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
I really prefer not to trade our 1st.

More uncertainty in the draft means an advantage for smarter teams. Video scouting and analytics will be more important than ever.

Reactions: Auston Escobar

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
It is very challenging given the Leafs cap situation. That said, sometimes that decision has to be made.

Thinking things through; what is the situation for the Leafs at the moment

- Not a lot of cap flexibility
- upcoming contracts (Reilly, Hyman, Freddy)

So the question to ask is when is the right time to make the move?

Do we expect to get better if we sign Hyman and let Freddy and Reilly walk as cap isn’t going anywhere anytime soon due to caronavirus impact

if the consensus is yes then time to make those moves is now. Take a shot and hope for the best

if the consensus is that we will be better in 2 years then wait couple years

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
It always depends on the return. Every asset should be on the table if it makes us better, picks included.

The Leafs really need a LW upgrade, someone that can play a good amount of minutes and provide offense. Robertson is a question mark for his NHL readiness and his injury makes things even more questionable. Thornton is fine but endurance might be a problem.

The salary cap situation makes things difficult but by the deadline, it should be a little more clear.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
They won't be "mortgaging the future" in the least, but yes, I would say there's a very good chance Dubas is looking to add assuming the year is going well.

For once the defence looks ok and we can think about something else for a change....adding some goals at wing for instance. Robertson should help, but the depth in that particular area is pretty thin past Nylander.

there may be a rental situation available that can help us there.

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
I think Dumbass shot himself in the foot with the Tavares signing! He thought TO would win it all...always they fell on there faces to the Bruins! They don't have the goaltending(maybe Woll)

or Defense to win the Cup and their 5-14 forwards are always on the move in/out!Dumbass is hoping the young Russians Amirov,Mikheyev and Barabanov provide some spark and lots of goals. Dumbass should have been patient with Sundin(turned pro at 19) and especially with Liljegren(turned pro at 18)who may turn out to be 6th D-man! You don't do that with 1st round picks,idiotbore Dumbass

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
It always depends on the return.

If its for an asset like Muzzin - a guy with a couple years worth of germ who they also plan on resigning then I see less of an issue. Though obviously

I can see a guy like Dermott get moved, especially if he doesn't show that he's untouchable.

Guys like Matthews/Marner/Nylander will be playing some of the best hockey of their careers over the next few years. The team should try to be as competitive as possible without doing anything stupid.

Reactions: SprDaVE and zeke

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
I think Dumbass shot himself in the foot with the Tavares signing! He thought TO would win it all...always they fell on there faces to the Bruins! They don't have the goaltending(maybe Woll)

or Defense to win the Cup and their 5-14 forwards are always on the move in/out!Dumbass is hoping the young Russians Amirov,Mikheyev and Barabanov provide some spark and lots of goals. Dumbass should have been patient with Sundin(turned pro at 19) and especially with Liljegren(turned pro at 18)who may turn out to be 6th D-man! You don't do that with 1st round picks,idiotbore Dumbass

I suppose this post can be interpreted in different ways...

Reactions: Auston Escobar

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
It always depends on the return.

If its for an asset like Muzzin - a guy with a couple years worth of germ who they also plan on resigning then I see less of an issue. Though obviously

I can see a guy like Dermott get moved, especially if he doesn't show that he's untouchable.

Guys like Matthews/Marner/Nylander will be playing some of the best hockey of their careers over the next few years. The team should try to be as competitive as possible without doing anything stupid.

Agreed.

Dermott + a 1st round pick would very likely get you into a conversation for a very very good upgrade upfront and I think the Leafs would be wise to explore that over the next couple months. It'll depend how much cap space they have to play with.

Leafs don't have a ton of long-term cap space available with Rielly needing an extension, so I assume the additions they will look at will be short-term contracts, which typically don't require a big pick mortgage.

Maybe Buffalo sucks enough and Taylor Hall becomes available? Get Buffalo to retain 50% and Leafs would likely be able to make him fit.

Last edited:
Reactions: Menzinger

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Since they decided to build back up, the Leafs aren't far behind Tampa in trading 1sts in an attempt to bolster the team. Don't know that I'd say Tampa mortgaged their future. They're also likely still in contention for another Cup. Contenders typically look to add in and around the TDL. I imagine that will again be the case for Toronto this season. The expansion draft is a consideration though.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Agreed.

Dermott + a 1st round pick would very likely get you into a conversation for a very very good upgrade upfront and I think the Leafs would be wise to explore that over the next couple months. It'll depend how much cap space they have to play with.
Yeah, that’s the tricky part moving forward. Not just this year, but next and the year after.
Unless there’s a big move you couldn’t really anticipate (like a Marner or Nylander trade) ya gotta keep the pipeline full and mixing in ELC players, which has been cautious since the big 3 were introduced.
Next year should see a bunch, so maybe this IS as good a time as any. Dermott in my mind is the obvious traceable asset.

Reactions: SprDaVE

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
We will have more space than Tampa did. Coleman and Goodrow made not much more than league minimum anyways.

how?
Leafs are using LTIR now.
Cannot count on zero more injuries.
I never understood why GMS don’t leave 2 million for TDL and injuries.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Yes this is the year to do that, and reason is simple, there is no Boston, Pittsburgh, Tampa, Washington standing in the way, this is a golden opportunity to make a run.

So if you can add a David Savard to cement the top 4, or Kyle Palmeri to solidify the top 6 do it because LW is kind of thin.

Yes this is the year to add pieces

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010
I wouldn't. The team is good the way they are. See what they can do.

With respect to trading our first, i wouldn't even consider it unless the Leafs had already guaranteed themselves a playoff spot - this year more than any other you don't know what could happen - and even then i would not trade our first.

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Agreed.

Leafs don't have a ton of long-term cap space available with Rielly needing an extension, so I assume the additions they will look at will be short-term contracts, which typically don't require a big pick mortgage.

Maybe Buffalo sucks enough and Taylor Hall becomes available? Get Buffalo to retain 50% and Leafs would likely be able to make him fit.
You think Hall will sign a deal with TO for what 11 Million a year...not likely but one can always dream right. To get that done it would be a miracle and pure stupidity which gets GM's,coaches,scouts fired so dream on

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
You think Hall will sign a deal with TO for what 11 Million a year...not likely but one can always dream right. To get that done it would be a miracle and pure stupidity which gets GM's,coaches,scouts fired so dream on

What? I'm saying to acquire him near the deadline as a rental.

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
What? I'm saying to acquire him near the deadline as a rental.
Even as a rental...what does TO give up? Sandin?Liljegren and 1st rounder?And at seasons end Hall walks...after the Leafs don't get past the first round...again

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
how?
Leafs are using LTIR now.
Cannot count on zero more injuries.
I never understood why GMS don’t leave 2 million for TDL and injuries.

It depends how things go. But if they are able to run with a 21 man roster for a while they will be able to continue to aquire cap space

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Even as a rental...what does TO give up? Sandin?Liljegren and 1st rounder?And at seasons end Hall walks...after the Leafs don't get past the first round...again

Probably a package of picks that would include a 1st rounder, yes. They don't have a lot of money long-term as you mentioned and they have a big hole on LW to me.

So the Leafs shouldn't try to win just because they've had issues in the past? That seems counter productive.

Either way, I'm sure the Leafs will make it work. It was just an example of something I see them doing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Menzinger

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
At this point getting another forward probably a big priority than the D.

Either get another proper top 6 LW for Tavares/Matthews or get a heavier forechecker for the 3rd line that could allow them to bump up Hyman/Soup up the depth chart

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
I'd be trying to find a way to get Liljegren and Sandin in the lineup to go with Rielly/Brodie/Muzzin. They got exposed last year with Rielly and Muzzin out but if healthy they'll be able to be sheltered and lean on those guys a bit. Hopefully by playoffs they settle in and claim a permanent spot.

I'd be more inclined to use the Holl for early Norris talk to my advantage to add assets and draft picks going into the expansion draft and making Seattle choose a worse player.

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
I'd be trying to find a way to get Liljegren and Sandin in the lineup to go with Rielly/Brodie/Muzzin. They got exposed last year with Rielly and Muzzin out but if healthy they'll be able to be sheltered and lean on those guys a bit. Hopefully by playoffs they settle in and claim a permanent spot.

I'd be more inclined to use the Holl for early Norris talk to my advantage to add assets and draft picks going into the expansion draft and making Seattle choose a worse player.
I'm assuming TO goes 4-4-1 and protect Reilly,Muzzin,Brodie and Sandin to go with Matthews,Marner,Nylander and Tavares...Then I choose either Liljegren or Engvall for Seattle

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I'm assuming TO goes 4-4-1 and protect Reilly,Muzzin,Brodie and Sandin to go with Matthews,Marner,Nylander and Tavares...Then I choose either Liljegren or Engvall for Seattle

Sandin and Liljegren will both be exempt from thr draft.

I think you're right about thr Leafs going 4-4 but will be between Dermott vs Holl (assuming no more trades happen) on who they protect

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad