Gettin' Jiggy with it
Oct 8, 2008
Redlands
My .02c:

Winnipeg gets Labanc and Dillon for their 1st and 2nd

Carolina gets Simek for the Rangers 2nd

Vegas (Pete) gets Melker for NJ's 3rd

Edmonton gets Goodrow for their 2nd

Wilson uses all these picks to trade up for our own pick back. We draft a bust.

BTW, I'm bored.

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
So if we take DW at his word, we are not trading core players. So my assumption is that is Meier, Hertl, Kane, Cooch, Karlsson, Burns and Vlasic?

Also if we take him at his word, we are refreshing, not rebuilding? So really not trading any of those guys, and holding on to our prospects/picks for this offseason.

Therefore, I think DW will trade Dillon, maybe Melker, and no one else from the roster. Labanc will get re-signed, Dell will either be re-signed or just leave and that is it.

Thornton and Marleau will get re-signed to go for it again next year if they want. We get into the first round, late in it, with the Dillon trade. Draft someone who wont make a lick of difference next year.

Then we possibly sign a goalie in FA depending on the dell situation, and roll into next year with basically the same team, because DW thinks this year was just a fluke, which in some ways is true. However we will basically be just as likely to win a cup next year, as we did starting this one with a lack of depth up front, and very little if any top end offensive talent.

In other words, I think we have a mostly boring trade deadline, offseason, and regular season next year. yay!

Reactions: sharks_dynasty

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
So if we take DW at his word, we are not trading core players. So my assumption is that is Meier, Hertl, Kane, Cooch, Karlsson, Burns and Vlasic?

Also if we take him at his word, we are refreshing, not rebuilding? So really not trading any of those guys, and holding on to our prospects/picks for this offseason.

Therefore, I think DW will trade Dillon, maybe Melker, and no one else from the roster. Labanc will get re-signed, Dell will either be re-signed or just leave and that is it.

Thornton and Marleau will get re-signed to go for it again next year if they want. We get into the first round, late in it, with the Dillon trade. Draft someone who wont make a lick of difference next year.

Then we possibly sign a goalie in FA depending on the dell situation, and roll into next year with basically the same team, because DW thinks this year was just a fluke, which in some ways is true. However we will basically be just as likely to win a cup next year, as we did starting this one with a lack of depth up front, and very little if any top end offensive talent.

In other words, I think we have a mostly boring trade deadline, offseason, and regular season next year. yay!

I don't think Dell will get moved unless DW gets a decent offer for him. I am thinking 2nd round pick or so. My gut says Dell does NOT get moved simply because DW has not even called up any of the Cuda goalies to give them a chance and see what they can do. If he does that in the next week or so I would start leaning towards Dell being moved. No chance Jones gets moved this season.

I really don't know if DW views Labanc as part of the core or not. I would not be surprised if Labanc gets moved but I do expect him to get re-signed.

So yeah, that pretty much leaves Dillon, Melker, Sorensen, Noesen, Simek as potential trade pieces. Some combination of their return as well as our 2nd round pick could push us into the late 1st round. That being said, based on some DW interviews, I would not be too shocked if Vlasic, Couture or Burns get moved this off-season.

CupfortheSharks

Sponsor
Mar 31, 2008
San Jose

I think you are basically right about the trade deadline. However, after watching that clip of DW the other day, I think it’s pretty clear that he is going to upgrade the forward group in the off season.

Reactions: Dicdonya

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Move the team to Canada! Why does California get 3 teams? That’s not a good ole hockey state!
How many cups do Canadian teams have in the last 30 years? How many does California have?:laugh: If a war broke out between Ca and Canada, the Canucks would surrender in a day. California also has a much bigger economy that Canada... That's why they get 3 teams...;)

Reactions: Sandisfan

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
I don't think Dell will get moved unless DW gets a decent offer for him. I am thinking 2nd round pick or so. My gut says Dell does NOT get moved simply because DW has not even called up any of the Cuda goalies to give them a chance and see what they can do. If he does that in the next week or so I would start leaning towards Dell being moved. No chance Jones gets moved this season.

Yeah right now the only way I see Dell moved is if we see a trade for another goalie first, or he is traded for another goalie to balance out rosters. However with how he is playing lately, my gut is telling me that DW will just hold onto him this year for no good reason.

I really don't know if DW views Labanc as part of the core or not. I would not be surprised if Labanc gets moved but I do expect him to get re-signed.

I just don't see enough smoke about Labanc to think he is going to get traded. Plus there is the whole 1mil contract thing that still might play some role in whether Labanc is going to get traded. Like if he really signed that with some sort of gentleman's agreement in place, and then DW trades him anyways.... well lets just say Ill be shocked if DW goes that direction.

Also if we are not rebuilding, and trying to go for it again next year, unless Labanc is traded for a better player, what the hell is the point of trading him for a pick in that scenario? Trading a 24yo winger for a pick only makes sense if you cant afford him, or are rebuilding and looking to take a chance that you can draft a younger better player.

So yeah, that pretty much leaves Dillon, Melker, Sorensen, Noesen, Simek as potential trade pieces. Some combination of their return as well as our 2nd round pick could push us into the late 1st round. That being said, based on some DW interviews, I would not be too shocked if Vlasic, Couture or Burns get moved this off-season.

The issue with your list here is that if we are really trying to compete again next year, than really only Dillon and Melker make any real sense to move.

They are both UFA's and both have replacements already on the team. So we don't need to use cap to retain their services.

Simek will need to stay because Dillon most likely is traded. Noesen could get traded but I don't imagine there is any real market for him and honestly I think he has been pretty decent for us, and I think Sorensen is one of the guys someone like DW would think is due for a rebound so wouldn't trade him. I also disagree we trade any of the big boys this offseason. I think maaaybe that could happen next year if we come out the gates as a tire fire again, but unless Doug is just blowing smoke up everyone ass, you don't trade those guys if you truly think you are just refreshing after an improbably dismal year.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
How many cups do Canadian teams have in the last 30 years? How many does California have?:laugh: If a war broke out between Ca and Canada, the Canucks would surrender in a day. California also has a much bigger economy that Canada... That's why they get 3 teams...;)
Booooooooooooooo you can’t use logic on me! Hockey is a Canadian sport! Only they can enjoy it!

Pistol Pete

Dec 17, 2007
When do the season ticket renewals go out? If it’s prior to the offseason, that makes me think that DW will need to do something note worthy at the TDL to give STH something to get excited about/look forward to.

I don’t believe standing pat is something DW can afford to do prior to the start of next season if he wants to retain interest from more casual fans. Just some food for thought.

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
Look even if we draft 1OA it doesn’t fit the goal of being competitive next season.

I think a prospect pool refresh is definitely warranted, but I expect DW to trade most of these picks for players at the draft.

Eklund72

Apr 8, 2007
As Jamie just said, Labanc just pulled 7 straight toe drags. I went from wanting to trade him to wanting to keep him.

Such a polarizing player

Reactions: Sandisfan

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
As Jamie just said, Labanc just pulled 7 straight toe drags. I went from wanting to trade him to wanting to keep him.

Such a polarizing player
I don't really see a good reason to trade him. Best case scenario is that we get a late 1st that might be as good as Labanc in 5 years. I don't think we have the goods to convert Labanc into a better young player.

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
I don't really see a good reason to trade him. Best case scenario is that we get a late 1st that might be as good as Labanc in 5 years. I don't think we have the goods to convert Labanc into a better young player.

he’s exactly the type of roster player teams want in return when moving a star player. They’ll want a first and a prospect as well.

Reactions: themelkman

Nolan11

Mar 5, 2013
I know I posted earlier to turn around and trade LaBanc, but I only see that happening in a sign and trade or a trade and immediate signing type of deal. Basically, DW will ensure he is happy with his new deal and destination.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I’m not advocating for this, but you don’t think Labanc, Merkley, and a 2021 1st would fulfill that?
Maybe for a low end star and I probably wouldn't like the return. Like which of Kane, Meier, Couture, or Hertl would you be willing to give up for that package if it were offered to us?

Reactions: Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete

Dec 17, 2007
Maybe for a low end star and I probably wouldn't like the return. Like which of Kane, Meier, Couture, or Hertl would you be willing to give up for that package if it were offered to us?
That’s a great question. I’m honestly not sure.

In our present situation, unloading a larger contract, adding a 1st from a team that was a lotto team the year prior, adding a cost controllable 24 year old right shot forward coming off a 50+ point season, and one of the current top ~10 d-men prospects in the league, I’d probably consider it for most of them.

I see that package similarly to Toronto offering up Kapanen, Sandin, and a 2021 1st. Would you give up Kane, Timo, Couture, or Hertl for that?

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Trading Labanc is just a bad idea right now. Even if you don't like the player or see him as a long term solution, the fact is that his market value is deflated by unlucky shooting and on-ice goaltending.

I agree. Maybe he hasn't taken the step that we all hoped he would, but he's still a young top-6 forward who shouldn't be too expensive going forward. Labanc is someone you keep if you are competing or rebuilding, IMO.

Of course, if Buffalo wants something like Labanc + Meier for Eichel, you pull the trigger.

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011

I would trade Kane or Couture easily for that package.

I would even think about it with Meier or Hertl.

Labanc already has scored one point less than Kane's career high in his third year. Has no (real or perceived) attitude issues, no real injury concerns due to playstyle, can shoot or pass equally well, and is probably going to make around 3mil or so less a year than Kane. Then you add in a talented PMD prospect having a great year, and another first on top of that? Hell yeah count me in.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
I would trade Kane or Couture easily for that package.

I would even think about it with Meier or Hertl.

Labanc already has scored one point less than Kane's career high in his third year. Has no (real or perceived) attitude issues, no real injury concerns due to playstyle, can shoot or pass equally well, and is probably going to make around 3mil or so less a year than Kane. Then you add in a talented PMD prospect having a great year, and another first on top of that? Hell yeah count me in.
I dunno, I'm not too keen on giving up Meier or Hertl. I think Meier is fine next season once he's used to being a rich. Hertl is the best forward on the team and most difficult to handle. Sharks will need them when they're contending again.

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
I dunno, I'm not too keen on giving up Meier or Hertl. I think Meier is fine next season once he's used to being a rich. Hertl is the best forward on the team and most difficult to handle. Sharks will need them when they're contending again.

Oh for sure, I am not keen on trading them either, which is why I said I would only think about it, for the value of the package my post was referencing.

In other words, I would drive Kane or Cooch to the airport for that package, but I wouldn't laugh in the persons face for offering that for Meier/Hertl, but would most likely turn it down based on the circumstances of the team, and direction we are trying to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad